The Last Jedi Adam Driver as Kylo Ren (VIII)

Anakin wasn't the same. The audience knew where his story was going, so there was no surprise. Here, there is genuine surprise. Anakin was also the story of a war hero turn tragedy (well...was supposed to be, lol). Kylo is way different. He was really never heroic.

[BLACKOUT]Killing Snoke at that time[/BLACKOUT] was a surprise, but I don't think [BLACKOUT]him staying dark[/BLACKOUT] was one. While I think [BLACKOUT]a turn to the light has been on the table[/BLACKOUT] I haven't found that to be the most likely outcome.

Some of them are just tailor made to be done as skits. Kylo pulling a Say Anything with a boom box playing the Imperial March outside Rey's window is something I just have to see.

Is Kylo likely to put the mask back on when he goes full dark side?

Is Kylo likely to put the mask back on when he goes full dark side?

Good question. My answer would be... He's gone full dark side already. And he's crossed a line of narcissism in which it's all about him, so no need for the Vader cosplay anymore. That's my take.

I must say I loved Kylo’s arc in the movie, will be very interesting where he goes next movie.

Good question. My answer would be... He's gone full dark side already. And he's crossed a line of narcissism in which it's all about him, so no need for the Vader cosplay anymore. That's my take.

He seems more like Anakin in the middle of RotS to me at the moment. I expect him to go further in IX.

Unlikely, IMO. I think him smashing it was symbolic of him moving beyond it.

When Snoke mocked him and told him to take the mask off, I think it hit home. He's just playing a character instead of embracing his own darkness.

Unlikely, IMO. I think him smashing it was symbolic of him moving beyond it.

When Snoke mocked him and told him to take the mask off, I think it hit home. He's just playing a character instead of embracing his own darkness.

:csad: Yeah, it sounds like you guys are probably right. It's a shame to me as he looked and sounded so good with it. Comparable to Darth Vader. And I know DV wouldn't be held up as the biggest villain today if he had gone around with that egghead instead of his iconic mask. :woot: He looks good without it too but he doesn't seem as far gone to the dark side in the same way that Anakin turned into something different when he finally had the DV costume.

I think he's done with the mask. He didn't wear it beyond the beginning of the movie.

I don't think Kylo is full dark side.He's *trying* to be, he thinks he's being just like Darth Vader, but he's still conflicted. I think he's going to be a total basket case in IX and Hux and other ambitious officers are going to notice and plot against him. Kylo's powerful but he ain't Snoke.

I've also seen reports that
Snoke had another apprentice who also might figure nto the mix.

Eh... The events of TLJ put the final nail in for anything close to redemption (if killing your own father in cold blood wasn't enough).

Kylo has nothing but the dark side and First Order left. The dice moment to me was about that. He's lost even to his mother's love. The moment of the final skype call shows he's lost Rey as a kindred spirit. She's turned her back on him as well. He has nothing but his resentment and anger now... And a near galaxy spanning fascist military juggernaut.

So... He's got that going for him...

Which is nice.

I wish
when the lightsaber exploded Kylo's face would have been severely ****ed up so they could have done what they originally planned to do with the villain: a partially mechanical face. Kylo's just too much of a pretty young face. He needs to be roughed up some. Give him a cyborg eye or take away his eye or scar him up some more and say he's been having to survive assassination attempts.

Him not being deformed kind of is the point. We've had plenty of mechanical or deformed villains. Kylo Ren wants to be like them, but is not quite. I like that decision from the filmmakers a lot tbh.

I think he's done with the mask. He didn't wear it beyond the beginning of the movie.
I was screaming as loudly as him when he was destroying it. :csad:

Eh... The events of TLJ put the final nail in for anything close to redemption (if killing your own father in cold blood wasn't enough).

Kylo has nothing but the dark side and First Order left. The dice moment to me was about that. He's lost even to his mother's love. The moment of the final skype call shows he's lost Rey as a kindred spirit. She's turned her back on him as well. He has nothing but his resentment and anger now... And a near galaxy spanning fascist military juggernaut.

Which is nice.
I thought there would be a long way to go when he failed to pull the trigger when he sensed Leia, which to me means that killing his father wasn't enough to push him all the way as he still had at least the same hesitation/weakness when it came to his mum. And this time during an important mission where his actions could put other things into jeopardy.

Which is nice.

Kylo seemed very conflicted about killing Han. Snoke mocked him for how much it tore him apart. Kylo thought it would make him feel whole, but it didn't. He can't seem to bring himself to actually fully commit to evil, even though he's doing evil acts. I think he's still acting like a Big Bad but it's because he still thinks if he just does this stuff, he'll find the end to his personal turmoil that he's been seeking. It's not going to work and he's going to be even more unstable in IX, I think.

And Luke's still got some lessons to teach his nephew, I think.

Him not being deformed kind of is the point. We've had plenty of mechanical or deformed villains. Kylo Ren wants to be like them, but is not quite. I like that decision from the filmmakers a lot tbh.

Kylo doesn't want to be deformed like Vader.

And at this point in the story they need to **** or get off the pot. They had Kylo kill Snoke. They've had Leia accept he is irredeemable. They've had Rey accept that he can't be redeemed. And Luke seems to have accept that Kylo is probably beyond saving. Kylo has at this point moved beyond Vader. He isn't some wannabe anymore. He's done what Vader couldn't do. He's done what Luke wouldn't do. So there's no longer any need to keep him a pretty faced "boy".

Last edited:

Fair point. For me it contributes to making TLJ's world less exotic than I want it to be. We are in the 7th Episode film now and pretty much all the main characters in a galaxy-spanning universe look like people who you could meet on your way to the shops. The escapism factor of Star Wars is not what I want it to be in 2017, even if I enjoy the films still.

It would be nice if one of the main characters was a non human. A Twilek or Zabrak or some new species. Chewies not human but he's only a cameo now and he's been around for decades. We need some new non human main character.

Kylo doesn't want to be deformed like Vader.

And at this point in the story they need to **** or get off the pot. They had Kylo kill Snoke. They've had Leia accept he is irredeemable. They've had Rey accept that he can't be redeemed. And Luke seems to have accept that Kylo is probably beyond saving. Kylo has at this point moved beyond Vader. He isn't some wannabe anymore. He's done what Vader couldn't do. He's done what Luke wouldn't do. So there's no longer any need to keep him a pretty faced "boy".

Can't evil come from a "pretty faced boy"? I find it kind of refreshing after having had all previous villains the way they were. We don't need the next villains to be identifiable by their deformities IMAO.

Fair point. For me it contributes to making TLJ's world less exotic than I want it to be. We are in the 7th Episode film now and pretty much all the main characters in a galaxy-spanning universe look like people who you could meet on your way to the shops. The escapism factor of Star Wars is not what I want it to be in 2017, even if I enjoy the films still.

Now that i do understand. Even though Lucas exagerated with the use of CGI, i liked that with the prequels he tried to make the universe have multiple alien races on all sectors of society, rather than having it mostly controled by humans. I've been feeling that all the Disney Star Wars films so far have lacked that. Most of the people we see are humans. It doesn't feel as much like the galaxy full of different alien species that Lucas dreamed of. Hell, i would even extend that to the planets. The only new planet that i realy liked so far was Crait. And even though Canto Bight has been getting a lot of hate, i found it kinda neat due to pushing more towards a varied unvierse.

As for a disfigured character. I don't realy have a problem with it. For example, even though General Grievous was bland as a character, his design was realy good. But why is it that it's always the villains who need to have the obvious disfigurements? Why not do that with a hero too?

Now that i do understand. Even though Lucas exagerated with the use of CGI, i liked that with the prequels he tried to make the universe have multiple alien races on all sectors of society, rather than having it mostly controled by humans. I've been feeling that all the Disney Star Wars films so far have lacked that. Most of the people we see are humans. It doesn't feel as much like the galaxy full of different alien species that Lucas dreamed of. Hell, i would even extend that to the planets. The only new planet that i realy liked so far was Crait. And even though Canto Bight has been getting a lot of hate, i found it kinda neat due to pushing more towards a varied unvierse.
Yeah, I like what the prequels and Canto Bight were trying to do, they just failed badly in their execution. What I would like to see is the likes of Clone Wars seasons 3-5. Universe expanding and exotic characters all over the Star Wars universe done well.

Can't evil come from a "pretty faced boy"? I find it kind of refreshing after having had all previous villains the way they were. We don't need the next villains to be identifiable by their deformities IMAO.

Sure evil can come from a pretty faced boy. But in fantasy and in star wars I want the villain to be visually interesting and emotionally interesting. Kylo is currently visually as interesting as white bread. I was fine with that in TFA, and JJ had him receive a nasty slash to the face so he was at least roughing him up some, but Rian undid that and made the scar minimal and destroyed the mask and even got rid of Kylo's half cloak/hood.

Sure evil can come from a pretty faced boy. But in fantasy and in star wars I want the villain to be visually interesting and emotionally interesting. Kylo is currently visually as interesting as white bread. I was fine with that in TFA, and JJ had him receive a nasty slash to the face so he was at least roughing him up some, but Rian undid that and made the scar minimal and destroyed the mask and even got rid of Kylo's half cloak/hood.

The scar is one thing that bugged me the most. He moved it, and then made it barely visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"