Agent Carter Agent Carter General Discussion Thread - Part 1

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=118086

ABC has ordered the Captain America spin-off "Agent Carter" to series! Starring Hayley Atwell, the drama is based on the One-Shot featured on the Iron Man 3 home release and is described as follows:

It's 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers.

Looking forward to this :D

Heretic, I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this whole objection to the show using generic action footage (taken, admittedly, from a project that precedes the show from a real-world perspective but is more than likely going to take place AFTER it in terms of an in-universe chronological perspective)) in order to strength Peggy's characterization.

Zarex, I've never seen the Agent Carter One-Shot, but I don't see how the TV series invalidates anything that happened in it, at least not based on what I've seen of the TV series so far.

We'll have to see what happens, though.

Zarex, I've never seen the Agent Carter One-Shot, but I don't see how the TV series invalidates anything that happened in it, at least not based on what I've seen of the TV series so far.

We'll have to see what happens, though.

The events of the One-Shot has Agent Carter going from grieving war "widow" to nominee for SHIELD director in what appears to be a very tight time frame. In both representations, Peggy appears to be at her initial post-war job, although she has a different boss.

Marvel could still make it fit together for MCU continuity devotees, but we shall see.

The events of the One-Shot has Agent Carter going from grieving war "widow" to nominee for SHIELD director in what appears to be a very tight time frame. In both representations, Peggy appears to be at her initial post-war job, although she has a different boss.

Marvel could still make it fit together for MCU continuity devotees, but we shall see.

It's possible...though silly.

Peggy rescues the serum in the One Shot.
The mini-series takes place.
Stark gets cleared and is placed in charge of SSR (assuming this happens in the mini-series)
Peggy goes on some other, completely unrelated mission that for whatever reason was not covered in the One Shot. Maybe it's covered in the mini-series, maybe it happens after the mini-series.
Peggy arrives at work in the One Shot to be chewed out by her boss then named as head of SHIELD. The viewer thought at the time that she was being chewed out for the mission they showed, but she was actually being chewed out for some other, un-shown, much later mission.

That would cover the continuity hole...but like I said...kind of silly.

Of course...I had to come up with that because some people just preferred the "I don't want it to violate continuity, therefore it doesn't...la la la...I cant see it" excuse...then I'll just accept that as being the case. It's no longer a continuity problem for me...just sloppy storytelling.

there were rumors that he was on set with haley atwell and chris evans. He may be portraying jim hammond/professor horton's synthetic man.

omg... I would die. I want that soooooooooooooooooooooo badly to happen

There is no real contradiction with the one shot. In truth,the one shot is really a truncated version of what this show is supposed to be. But one brief clip of action from the OS (that supposedly happens after the series) was used just to show Peggy in action in a setting different that TFA.

If they invalidate the OS by taking it's premise and drawing it out for several seasons,it's not really a big loss.The biggest ramification would be Iron Man 3 fans screaming that "Hail to the king" need not be considered canon.(which is reason enough to hope the Peggy OS stays in canon!)

Who really cares about the one-shot? Ignore it and everything looked wonderful. It's like complaining that they changed Jerry Seinfeld's father or M*A*S*H's Fr. Mulcahy from the pilot episodes. Who cares?

These two epidoes were the perfect leads in to the 1940's MCU. Showing both episodes right off the bat was exactly the right thing to do. Just that one episode and it would have felt slighted and less epic. Now, people with good taste should be hooked.

There is no real contradiction with the one shot. In truth,the one shot is really a truncated version of what this show is supposed to be. But one brief clip of action from the OS (that supposedly happens after the series) was used just to show Peggy in action in a setting different that TFA.

If they invalidate the OS by taking it's premise and drawing it out for several seasons,it's not really a big loss.The biggest ramification would be Iron Man 3 fans screaming that "Hail to the king" need not be considered canon.(which is reason enough to hope the Peggy OS stays in canon!)

Just quoting this because there are people claiming that everyone accepts that there is a continuity contradiction. They think I'm a liar when I say that there are people who see no contradiction. Maybe they'll see your post...even though they've been unable to see any of the others saying the same thing.

I assure you though...unless Marvel works some retcon magic or removes the One Shot from continuity, there IS a contradiction.

Just started watching last nights debut. So far so good.

Just quoting this because there are people claiming that everyone accepts that there is a continuity contradiction. They think I'm a liar when I say that there are people who see no contradiction. Maybe they'll see your post...even though they've been unable to see any of the others saying the same thing.

I assure you though...unless Marvel works some retcon magic or removes the One Shot from continuity, there IS a contradiction.

It's a blink and you miss it thing that depends on having bought the IM3 dvd/BR and watched the short multiple times. OTOH I didn't like IM3 didn't buy the dvd and only watched the one shot once online. Not having it memorized the continuity error didn't jump out to me.

Who really cares about the one-shot? Ignore it and everything looked wonderful. It's like complaining that they changed Jerry Seinfeld's father or M*A*S*H's Fr. Mulcahy from the pilot episodes. Who cares?

These two epidoes were the perfect leads in to the 1940's MCU. Showing both episodes right off the bat was exactly the right thing to do. Just that one episode and it would have felt slighted and less epic. Now, people with good taste should be hooked.
Why ignore it? It would fit fine between the ending of the SSR and the start to Shield.

because it was kick butt. lol and I love "old timey" shows lol
tumblr_inline_mjy5p1nHEA1rx9i7b.gif

Why ignore it? It would fit fine between the ending of the SSR and the start to Shield.

Right. I don't like the idea of Marvel doing stuff that doesn't actually exist in continuity. That's why I want Spider-Man and X-Men back under the Marvel banner...so they will "count" as happening in the amazing world that Marvel is creating. There's currently a bizarre issue with the Agent Carter One Shot...so they might as well fix that issue and leave the One Shot in continuity.

Stop. Why are you bringing in logic and rational thinking into this discussion :word:

Because we aren't getting pathologically obsessed with one MINOR point that took up what, two minutes of a TWO HOUR pilot, to the point of spending page after page on TWO separate threads ranting about it, getting ****y at people who don't share our opinion.

God are we still talking about how the one shot fits into continuity?

There's currently a bizarre issue with the Agent Carter One Shot...so they might as well fix that issue and leave the One Shot in continuity.

Ever hear the word - obsessive - or maybe - obsessed - or possible the phrase - beating a dead horse - ?

Stop. Why are you bringing in logic and rational thinking into this discussion :word:

Please explain to me...using ONLY what we have seen...how there is no contradiction.

This is my point. Despite what people keep claiming, there are many people in this forum who really don't see that there is a contradiction just begging for a No Prize explanation.

The only thing I'm seeing is a forum full of people who don't see this as a problem one way or another, and are trying to move on. Except for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"