Agent Carter Agent Carter General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Thread Manager, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]478849[/split]

2. Hunter Rider Ronin

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=118086

Looking forward to this :D

3. DigificWriter Registered

Heretic, I honestly think you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this whole objection to the show using generic action footage (taken, admittedly, from a project that precedes the show from a real-world perspective but is more than likely going to take place AFTER it in terms of an in-universe chronological perspective)) in order to strength Peggy's characterization.

Zarex, I've never seen the Agent Carter One-Shot, but I don't see how the TV series invalidates anything that happened in it, at least not based on what I've seen of the TV series so far.

We'll have to see what happens, though.

4. Zarex Registered

The events of the One-Shot has Agent Carter going from grieving war "widow" to nominee for SHIELD director in what appears to be a very tight time frame. In both representations, Peggy appears to be at her initial post-war job, although she has a different boss.

Marvel could still make it fit together for MCU continuity devotees, but we shall see.

5. Heretic Registered

It's possible...though silly.

Peggy rescues the serum in the One Shot.
    The mini-series takes place.
    Stark gets cleared and is placed in charge of SSR (assuming this happens in the mini-series)
    Peggy goes on some other, completely unrelated mission that for whatever reason was not covered in the One Shot. Maybe it's covered in the mini-series, maybe it happens after the mini-series.
    Peggy arrives at work in the One Shot to be chewed out by her boss then named as head of SHIELD. The viewer thought at the time that she was being chewed out for the mission they showed, but she was actually being chewed out for some other, un-shown, much later mission.

That would cover the continuity hole...but like I said...kind of silly.

Of course...I had to come up with that because some people just preferred the "I don't want it to violate continuity, therefore it doesn't...la la la...I cant see it" excuse...then I'll just accept that as being the case. It's no longer a continuity problem for me...just sloppy storytelling.

6. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

omg... I would die. I want that soooooooooooooooooooooo badly to happen

7. Human Torch Registered

There is no real contradiction with the one shot. In truth,the one shot is really a truncated version of what this show is supposed to be. But one brief clip of action from the OS (that supposedly happens after the series) was used just to show Peggy in action in a setting different that TFA.

If they invalidate the OS by taking it's premise and drawing it out for several seasons,it's not really a big loss.The biggest ramification would be Iron Man 3 fans screaming that "Hail to the king" need not be considered canon.(which is reason enough to hope the Peggy OS stays in canon!)

8. Marvel Registered

Who really cares about the one-shot? Ignore it and everything looked wonderful. It's like complaining that they changed Jerry Seinfeld's father or M*A*S*H's Fr. Mulcahy from the pilot episodes. Who cares?

These two epidoes were the perfect leads in to the 1940's MCU. Showing both episodes right off the bat was exactly the right thing to do. Just that one episode and it would have felt slighted and less epic. Now, people with good taste should be hooked.

9. Heretic Registered

Just quoting this because there are people claiming that everyone accepts that there is a continuity contradiction. They think I'm a liar when I say that there are people who see no contradiction. Maybe they'll see your post...even though they've been unable to see any of the others saying the same thing.

I assure you though...unless Marvel works some retcon magic or removes the One Shot from continuity, there IS a contradiction.

10. Dr. Evil Registered

11. marcvader Lurker #1

Just started watching last nights debut. So far so good.

12. regnak Registered

It's a blink and you miss it thing that depends on having bought the IM3 dvd/BR and watched the short multiple times. OTOH I didn't like IM3 didn't buy the dvd and only watched the one shot once online. Not having it memorized the continuity error didn't jump out to me.

13. Vartha Mod of Thunder

14. Vartha Mod of Thunder

You'll LOVE it Marc! it was GREAT

15. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

Why are you shouting Vartha?!?!

16. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Why ignore it? It would fit fine between the ending of the SSR and the start to Shield.

17. Vartha Mod of Thunder

because it was kick butt. lol and I love "old timey" shows lol

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

[​IMG]

19. Heretic Registered

Right. I don't like the idea of Marvel doing stuff that doesn't actually exist in continuity. That's why I want Spider-Man and X-Men back under the Marvel banner...so they will "count" as happening in the amazing world that Marvel is creating. There's currently a bizarre issue with the Agent Carter One Shot...so they might as well fix that issue and leave the One Shot in continuity.

20. Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Stop. Why are you bringing in logic and rational thinking into this discussion :word:

21. Loki882 Registered

Because we aren't getting pathologically obsessed with one MINOR point that took up what, two minutes of a TWO HOUR pilot, to the point of spending page after page on TWO separate threads ranting about it, getting ****y at people who don't share our opinion.

22. samsnee Ok

God are we still talking about how the one shot fits into continuity?

23. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Ever hear the word - obsessive - or maybe - obsessed - or possible the phrase - beating a dead horse - ?

24. Heretic Registered

Please explain to me...using ONLY what we have seen...how there is no contradiction.

This is my point. Despite what people keep claiming, there are many people in this forum who really don't see that there is a contradiction just begging for a No Prize explanation.

25. flickchick85 Admin of Might

The only thing I'm seeing is a forum full of people who don't see this as a problem one way or another, and are trying to move on. Except for one.