Agent Carter Agent Carter - S01E03 "Time & Tide"

A decent episode. I'm glad the stolen weapons plot was mostly tied up as I was worried that each episode was going to be a formulaic "find the McGuffin for this week".

I'm loving the fan theories that Blonde Kahlan aka Dottie is Yelena the first "Black Widow" and that she shot Agent K and the thug.

I was completely baffled by everyone's bereavement at the death of Agent K. I can understand his male work colleagues being angry about his death, but why would all the female telephone operators care? Surely Agent K was as rude to them as he was to Peggy? Or was he only so rude to Peggy because her status as an "Agent" threatened him? It all felt a little forced and then they try to make a joke out of his adultery. It was really odd, especially when Peggy had her breakdown at the end of the episode.

Great episode. I like how things slowed down since it made the plot easier to follow. The tension when Jarvis was arrested and K learned about Peggy's appearance at the boat was wonderful. Jarvis's American accent was hilarious and the story of how he met his wife was so moving. The character is definitely growing on me.

Given that he was such a jackass, I was surprised to be touched by K's death. I suppose that could just be the office's collective reaction rubbing off on me.

A decent episode. I'm glad the stolen weapons plot was mostly tied up as I was worried that each episode was going to be a formulaic "find the McGuffin for this week".

When they got on the boat, I thought to myself, "I am so sick of this maguffin crap," and, lo and behold, they eliminated most of the maguffin right there and then. I wonder where the plot will go from here.

I'm loving the fan theories that Blonde Kahlan aka Dottie is Yelena the first "Black Widow" and that she shot Agent K and the thug.

Yeah, I'm thinking Miss Ballerina is more likely to be an evil assassin than Angie. Angie could be one of Stark's spies, though.

I was completely baffled by everyone's bereavement at the death of Agent K. I can understand his male work colleagues being angry about his death, but why would all the female telephone operators care? Surely Agent K was as rude to them as he was to Peggy? Or was he only so rude to Peggy because her status as an "Agent" threatened him? It all felt a little forced and then they try to make a joke out of his adultery. It was really odd, especially when Peggy had her breakdown at the end of the episode.

Krzeminski was probably the office's lovable jerk. The women work at the phones and likely didn't feel the brunt of the worst parts of his personalty like Peggy did.

To understand this scene I think you need to contemplate the US society in the late 1940s. Remember this is before both the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. Even the USSR was not consider a big threat because they did not have the Atomic Bomb yet. The USSR did not get the bomb until 1949; I believe. Also, there were not organized terrorists at this time. The bad guy was the mob who were only interested in making more money any way they could. The mob is a business not some fanatical cult.

Next, think of the control the media had in that day. Anything that was negative could be squashed completely or delegated to the back page of a newspaper. There were no stories of police brutality or government manipulation. Maybe there was some political corruption but then again it was based on getting money out of the system.

Now review that scene and think of a culture that was Norman Rockwell in its outer appearance. Death especially violent death was not prevalent. Violent death was not due to fanatical ideology. Violent death was a tragic infrequent incidence that was quickly resolved. With that type of environment, human life was much more shocked by any type of deathly violence.

The question to ponder is: "Have we become too desensitized in our current culture?".

Last edited:
Now review that scene and think of a culture that was Norman Rockwell in its outer appearance. Death especially violent death was not prevalent. Violent death was not due to fanatical ideology. Violent death was a tragic infrequent incidence that was quickly resolved. With that type of environment, human life was much more shocked by any type of deathly violence.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I think that was touched upon by SSR Agent Doll Victor. I recall him saying something about everyone believing that because the war was over, then everyone was safe. I thought he was just talking about those who served in the war, but I see your point about everyone, including general members of the public, still being shocked at violent deaths in that time period.

Great show so far, and this episode was very neat. The acting and the staging are quite good, and the writing is very compelling. I loved how they portrayed Peggy's frustration over having to sacrifice her reputation among her colleagues, and deny herself credit for her good work, so that she can continue working in the shadows to unravel the mystery behind Howard's stolen technologies. You really feel sorry for her and want her to get some credit and recognition for what she's doing and risking her life for.

To understand this scene I think you need to contemplate the US society in the late 1940s. Remember this is before both the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. Even the USSR was not consider a big threat because they did not have the Atomic Bomb yet. The USSR did not get the bomb until 1949; I believe. Also, there were not organized terrorists at this time. The bad guy was the mob who were only interested in making more money any way they could. The mob is a business not some fanatical cult.

Next, think of the control the media had in that day. Anything that was negative could be squashed completely or delegated to the back page of a newspaper. There were no stories of police brutality or government manipulation. Maybe there was some political corruption but then again it was based on getting money out of the system.

The question to ponder is: "Have we become too desensitized in our current culture?".

Actually, not all of that is entirely right. The Soviet Union was considered a major threat in the late 1940s, even before the Soviets got the atomic bomb. That was why Winston Churchill gave his famous "Iron Curtain" speech in 1946, three years before the Russians obtained the bomb.

Also, Peggy's colleagues at work were grieving over K's death because they liked him despite his flaws, not because they weren't used to violence. They had just recently emerged from World War II; everybody had grown all too accustomed to violent death by this point in time (and horrors worse than death, too). Plus, in their line of work, the risk of violence is inherent to the job. That doesn't mean that they don't feel awful when a colleague dies in the field. K was a jerk and rude guy, true, but as Peggy said, he was also good at his job, and I'm sure he had a side of his personality that was more of a "loveable jerk," which is what his office colleagues would miss about him now that he's gone.

I thought the show started strong and it has gotten even better this week.

The part where Peggy intentionally screws up and faces the aftermath was heartbreaking.

As a film buff, I liked the reference to 'letters of transit'. They don't actually exist in the real world, and were specifically a Macguffin invented for Casablanca.

It is amusing to think that both would be in the same universe, considering.

Another awesome episode. Atwell and D'Arcy have a remarkable chemistry together! Was a bit worried about the Jarvis casting, but damn, D'Arcy is even better than Bettany

The best Black Widow origin story though has to be Uncanny X-Men 268. Ties the Widow, Cap and Wolverine all together.

If K had been assassinated today, I'm sure there would be weeping in the modern office as well. There are very few jobs where people die so often their coworkers become desensitized to it.

Anyone else think the new blonde in the building is the new hitman?

Another great ep. Brigette Regan, who i find hot, pales compared to Atwell in the looks department.

Jarvis is quite the honourable man and yet he has his own secret. I love it another great episode. Loved the fight sequence Agent Carter kick's ass

Another awesome episode. Atwell and D'Arcy have a remarkable chemistry together! Was a bit worried about the Jarvis casting, but damn, D'Arcy is even better than Bettany

Definitely think so too. It's almost a shame he won't get to interact with RDJ or the Avengers in the present day. He would've been great.

Imagine if they did a Gotham-type mini series with a young Tony Stark and James D'Arcy as his butler, Jarvis as he looks after his young ward.

Marvel need to find a way to get D'Arcy into one of the movies.

Jarvis is quite the honourable man and yet he has his own secret. I love it another great episode. Loved the fight sequence Agent Carter kick's ass

He's a veritable Mr D'Arcy.

Watching this now.

Ouch @ Peggy taking the hit and getting yelled at by Chief Dick Head

LOL @ Jarvis' American accent :D He should talk that way from now on.

The show is getting better and better. This was a episode that fell more on the tease and eventually depressing side, but it still put a smile on my face many a time.

I love how Peggy is actually allowed to run the gamut of emotions. How she moves from grumpy, pleased, upset, stressed etc. She isn't pigeonholed and it allows for to be a real character. Her reaction to not being able to call in the weapons and being dressed down were perfect imo. It showed her vulnerability without taking her strength.

As soon as I saw the new blonde housemate I screamed, "evil". At the end of the episode, I was sure I was right.

Yep, adore them. I could watch the weekly adventure of Peggy and Jarvis for eternity.

Yes, he was a jerk and lacking in morals, but he didn't deserve to die.

We don't know if he was as much of a jerk to other women as he was to Peggy (as you say he felt threatened by her), but even if he was he was still someone they knew well and a sudden violent death is a shocking thing.

I think it would have made Peggy seem very cold hearted if she brushed of the death of a colleague or thought he deserved it.

Loved this episode - as soon as Jarvis was arrested I knew some secret from his past would be brought up and with it being "treason" I feared it was that Jarvis had some secret past as a war hero or super spy who was wronged - but I love that it turned out to be the story of meeting his wife :) ( anyone else think that Mrs. Jarvis is going to be like Mrs Columbo? Often mentioned but never seen :) ).

As to Peggy having to eat humble pie for Dooley and Thompson - oh man, I was cringing at the scene - it was straight out of real life as I have witnessed and heard of such things in the workplace several times. And I have worked with jerks Dooley and Thompson. I want to strangle them :p - they are just so perfect for the show.

When Murray and Gjokaj were annouced as agents and Whigham as the boss I wasn't expecting much - I assumed that they'd all be square jawed perfect hero types and the boss/mentor/father who "sees more to Peggy than others" (the cliches) but I'm very happy to have been so foolish to prejudge the writers and actors. I tip my hat to the creators. :)

I am hoping that Howard isn't on the lam for the whole series (hopefully we get a few seasons) and Cooper has the time to get more involved in the future.

Does anyone know why Lyndsy Fonseca is not in the main cast? She seems to have almost as much screen time as Whigham and company - not much less anyway.

Last edited:
His death made everything real. They see the agents as bulletproof. This isn't war anymore, we are past the death. Except for them that isn't true, and at times as dangerous. Probably also brought back a lot of lost lives during the war. I think it would have been more weird if they didn't take it hard.

I am hoping that Howard isn't on the lam for the whole series (hopefully we get a few seasons) and Cooper has the time to get more involved in the future.

Howard is supposed to return in the next episode, I believe.

Howard is supposed to return in the next episode, I believe.

Yes, but I was thinking that he'd end up running again.

By the way, is Agent Carter intended to only be a once of mini series? I was assuming that the plan was that it be ongoing.

By the way, is Agent Carter intended to only be a once of mini series? I was assuming that the plan was that it be ongoing.
There have been comments from the creators of things they could do with additional seasons (i.e. jumping forward in time a couple years each season) so I think they have ideas/plans and it's just a question of whether it gets renewed or not (which we might not find out until May when ABC has their upfronts/announces what's renewed and what's not)

You are judging them by today's cold and crass standard. More people went to church back then.....doing unto others was indeed the golden rule.....so a lot of people were apt to feel sympathy even for a moron like him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"