Agent Carter Agent Carter General Discussion Thread - Part 1

I agree...there is no better time than now to deal with Vanko. Heck...if the show ends up awesome (I hated Agents of SHIELD for half of season 1, now its higher on my Marvel list than most of their movies)...then the entertainment value might...MIGHT...make Iron Man 2 slightly tolerable.

Regarding Attwell...
Keep in mind...I am NOT criticizing...but to me, Attwell looks curvier than your typical Hollywood star. That is NOT a bad thing in my mind. Some of those Hollywood chicks need to eat a sandwich. But it seems to me that she might be considered too "big" for a lot of high profile type stuff. She's the star of a popular/hyped tv show, and a co-star in the biggest movie franchise of all time. It's difficult to get TOO much bigger than that.

Indeed, but Scarlett Johansson was able to overcome that Hollywood body image stigma, so I would hope Atwell could too. She's certainly got the looks, talent and charisma to pull it off. Just needs more high quality projects.

I'm really liking the show so far but one thing that really bugs me is that camera filter. It looks way too soft.

BTW, regarding Vanko. If they have his betrayal this season, I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't have a larger role. Unlike others, I at least didn't miss his cameo, but clearly many did. All he did was provide basic exposition. I think they need to do a lot of work to make him a three dimensional character (at a minimum, it'll help flesh out his son in Iron Man 2 that way).

BTW, regarding Vanko. If they have his betrayal this season, I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't have a larger role. Unlike others, I at least didn't miss his cameo, but clearly many did. All he did was provide basic exposition. I think they need to do a lot of work to make him a three dimensional character (at a minimum, it'll help flesh out his son in Iron Man 2 that way).

If this show can in some small way improve Iron Man 2, then it'll be 8 hours of my time well spent in front of the tv.

The thing about his betrayal is that it's just a money thing. It isn't like he's an evil guy that needs a bunch of development. He's an inventor that wants to profit off of his inventions. That's simple. Give him another scene or two to remind the audience of his existence, and then BOOM...he profited off of the theft. Then, move on to the bigger fish that need to be fried.

IM2 may be Marvel Studios weakest effort but it's still damn good. What it was forced to cover to set up the universe ended up paying off and it continues to do so with this show.

Anyway, after watching these episodes again, seeing Cooper and Atwell together again on screen was magic.

Jarvis as human makes my day.

Upon review, the most powerful scene was Peggy defusing the grenade and then finding her friend dead then forced to defend herself. Such a range of emotion in one intense scene is just perfect writing. That seems to be this show's strength. Writers that can deliver everything.

Right. I don't like the idea of Marvel doing stuff that doesn't actually exist in continuity. That's why I want Spider-Man and X-Men back under the Marvel banner...so they will "count" as happening in the amazing world that Marvel is creating. There's currently a bizarre issue with the Agent Carter One Shot...so they might as well fix that issue and leave the One Shot in continuity.

I get what you're saying.
Marvel not being able to use the word Mutant because some bloodthirsty lawyers are waiting to pounce irks me to no end...

True, but based on these 1st two eps, they seem capable of cramming quite a bit into each.

yes, but not a whole lot of "expanded universe" stuff. The 2 episodes we've seen kept things pretty simple by showing us many things we've seen before or know of, just dug a bit deeper and expanded them... Roxxon, Jarvis, SSR, Vankp

I think getting into Inhumans and Aliens might be a bit of a stretch. Especially when Peggy might of only delt with the Kree body during the war, and it got filed away

X-Men will not come back to Marvel until at least half the posters on this board die of old age. Look at the lengths Fox is going to in order to hold onto the FF rights. They are actually making high profits with X-Men so it will be decades at a minimum before they revert.

Indeed, but Scarlett Johansson was able to overcome that Hollywood body image stigma, so I would hope Atwell could too. She's certainly got the looks, talent and charisma to pull it off. Just needs more high quality projects.

Yeah, and high-profile projects. I love that both these women have bucked the "traditional, Hollywood model" for actresses, and I think HW is getting better at being accepting of different body types.

Atwell, though, she is EVERYTHING. Charisma, physical appeal, richly talented… And the fact that Marvel's giving her such a huge shot? I could kiss them!!

Yeah, and high-profile projects. I love that both these women have bucked the "traditional, Hollywood model" for actresses, and I think HW is getting better at being accepting of different body types.

Atwell, though, she is EVERYTHING. Charisma, physical appeal, richly talented… And the fact that Marvel's giving her such a huge shot? I could kiss them!!

I agree. Hayley Atwell is really the bee's knees. I must admit that at first I thought they gave Atwell a role that is a disservice to her talent, since it was a minor role and one that goes nowhere after Cap's apparent demise, but now with Agent Carter there's now a huge potential for Atwell's character. Marvel does it again!

Last edited:
IM2 may be Marvel Studios weakest effort but it's still damn good. What it was forced to cover to set up the universe ended up paying off and it continues to do so with this show.

Anyway, after watching these episodes again, seeing Cooper and Atwell together again on screen was magic.

Jarvis as human makes my day.

Upon review, the most powerful scene was Peggy defusing the grenade and then finding her friend dead then forced to defend herself. Such a range of emotion in one intense scene is just perfect writing. That seems to be this show's strength. Writers that can deliver everything.

i agree, Iron Man 2 is much better in hindsight imo. it's biggest critic was that it was too much of a set up and less of a solo film. Sure it has it's faults beyond that.. but that was certainly the largest complaint.

My only current complaint with the MCU is that there's a few characters i'd really love to see revisited, to tie some older films together. I'd really like to see Ezekiel Stane some day (to rehash obie a little), or a flashback with Obie. I'd like to see Justin Hammer again even if on AOS. And most of all... I'd really like to see Genral Ross, Betty Ross, Abomination, and of course Samuel Sterns return to the fold. Preferably by the same actors to strengthen continuity of the universe they've established.

I doubt Vanko does his thing this season. I got the impression after things said in IM1 & IM2 that all that deportation stuff happened in the 1960's. after the 1st large scale arc reactor was made. I wonder if we'll get to see a young Obadiah Stane on this show at some point. That'd be awesome.

The weird thing is...once you overlook internet nonsense from guys claiming that Megan Fox is a "2 out of 10, would not bang" most guys don't have the stupid standards that Hollywood has. Hollywood keeps insisting that we are attracted to the Hollywood look, while our heads are turning every day for girls at the mall who would not make the Hollywood cut. There isn't a straight guy out there who wouldn't fall over themselves trying to get with a girl that looks like Scarlett or Hayley.

I tend to want an actress who is right for the role. If the role is for a female warrior...I want a girl who is very physically fit. If the role is for a doctor, I want someone old enough to be a doctor who looks like they might know how a stethoscope works. If I'm watching a new Friday the 13th movie, I want a bikini model willing to get naked. I'd like to see a change in how casting is done...and it'd be great if Atwell's success helps to make that happen...but I'm not sure that Hollywood is interested in changing with the tastes of the public...it seems they are content with trying to tell us what we want. I hope I'm wrong.

The weird thing is...once you overlook internet nonsense from guys claiming that Megan Fox is a "2 out of 10, would not bang" most guys don't have the stupid standards that Hollywood has. Hollywood keeps insisting that we are attracted to the Hollywood look, while our heads are turning every day for girls at the mall who would not make the Hollywood cut. There isn't a straight guy out there who wouldn't fall over themselves trying to get with a girl that looks like Scarlett or Hayley.

I wouldn't touch Scarlett with a ten foot condom-covered pole
(I don't find her remotely attractive, nor do I think she's a very good actress, even if I have enjoyed her as BW)

That said, I definitely agree with most of your post. Hollywood has some strange standards. Atwell is gorgeous and knows how to rock her curves on top of being a damn good actress. It's like when Jennifer Lawrence says she's Hollywood-fat, like, yea, sure, 100 pounds totally counts as fat when the average American woman weighs 150. :o

I'm glad at least TV seems to be embracing some different actor types these days, especially Netflix

I doubt Vanko does his thing this season. I got the impression after things said in IM1 & IM2 that all that deportation stuff happened in the 1960's. after the 1st large scale arc reactor was made. I wonder if we'll get to see a young Obadiah Stane on this show at some point. That'd be awesome.
agreed. that was what was implied in IM2

I finally caught the 2 hour premiere last night and I have to say I was actually really surprised by how good this was. I absolutely loved it! I think AOS has improved quite a bit since season 1 but IMO this blew it away. In fact it blows away Flash and Arrow too I'm sorry. It hit all the right notes for me. The authentic forties period feel, the cast, the characterizations, the interactions, the satire and the suspense. Combined with how it is flushing out some cool history it's a great opportunity to carve fresh new territory in the MCU mythos. I think Marvel may have a real winner here on the small screen at last. I can't wait for the next episode.

I wouldn't touch Scarlett with a ten foot condom-covered pole
(I don't find her remotely attractive, nor do I think she's a very good actress, even if I have enjoyed her as BW)

That said, I definitely agree with most of your post. Hollywood has some strange standards. Atwell is gorgeous and knows how to rock her curves on top of being a damn good actress. It's like when Jennifer Lawrence says she's Hollywood-fat, like, yea, sure, 100 pounds totally counts as fat when the average American woman weighs 150. :o

I'm glad at least TV seems to be embracing some different actor types these days, especially Netflix

Well...technically, I didn't mean the ACTUAL Scarlett...just a random girl at your local mall who is basically the same look.

I don't watch any Netflix shows. I hear that they have a Horror or Fantasy show or something...keep forgetting to look into it. It's really all about Daredevil for me...that'll be worth the monthly subscription price on its own.

So, I just thought I would create a quick run down of characters that we know are in this show that connect the MCU to the comics, and perhaps we can get away from the topic of continuity for a little while. :)

Margaret "Peggy" Carter
Howard Stark
Edwin Jarvis
Roger Dooley
Leet Brannis
Hugh Jones
Anton Vanko

Let me know if I missed anything. It will be interesting to see how this show fills in the pieces and branches out to the existing MCU.

Surfer

Last edited:
I don't watch any Netflix shows. I hear that they have a Horror or Fantasy show or something...keep forgetting to look into it. It's really all about Daredevil for me...that'll be worth the monthly subscription price on its own.

$8 for 13 hours of Daredevil sounds like a great deal - especially when compared to a movie ticket which costs like $12-15/person for a 2 hour flick.

$8 for 13 hours of Daredevil sounds like a great deal - especially when compared to a movie ticket which costs like $12-15/person for a 2 hour flick.

Right. I don't look down on tv. I look at Agents of SHIELD as being BETTER than the vast majority of the Marvel movies. I'm ticked that DC can't be bothered to have a shared universe on tv and films. I don't care about how good the CGI is or anything like that. Daredevil...if its as good as I think Marvel wants to make it...could be a really spectacular show...and the Defenders could give the movie side a run for their money. When I can sit at home and watch an awesome 13 hour movie for LESS than the cost of tickets to see I, Frankenstein then count me in!

Obviously, I did not like the first two episodes of Agent Carter...and despite what so many have claimed...my main issue is sloppy writing...and for some reason people took one aspect of that and focused on it. But I was a huge critic of Agents of SHIELD in season 1, and now I'm maybe the most vocal supporter of the show at this forum. If Agent Carter can tighten up on the writing then I could really love this show. I'm a Marvel addict so I WANT to love it. Hopefully they'll turn things around (for me, I get that many people already like it).

Regarding Attwell...
Keep in mind...I am NOT criticizing...but to me, Attwell looks curvier than your typical Hollywood star. That is NOT a bad thing in my mind. Some of those Hollywood chicks need to eat a sandwich. But it seems to me that she might be considered too "big" for a lot of high profile type stuff. She's the star of a popular/hyped tv show, and a co-star in the biggest movie franchise of all time. It's difficult to get TOO much bigger than that.

I noticed the same thing. There was one scene where Atwell was standing next to Fonseca and their body types were just so different. Atwell looked a million times better, though.

So, I just thought I would create a quick run down of characters that we know are in this show that connect the MCU to the comics, and perhaps we can get away from the topic of continuity for a little while. :)

Margaret "Peggy" Carter
Howard Stark
Edwin Jarvis
Roger Dooley
Leet Brannis
Hugh Jones
Anton Vanko

Let me know if I missed anything. It will be interesting to see how this show fills in the pieces and branches out to the existing MCU.

Surfer
good list.

Hayley is AMAZING. If she doesn't become a huge star then there is something dreadfully wrong with the world.

Agreed. My whole family watched Agent Carter and we are simply in love with this show and Hayley. The costumes and makeup are just gorgeous, and they are doing an excellent job with the overall look of the show.

I've been vocal with my disappointment with her role in Winter Soldier and the casting of Sharon Carter. I feel like I need one of those Boromir memes: "One does not simply replace Peggy Carter with another love interest". But someone at Marvel knows quality when they see it, because she is getting ALL the love.

Please, please let her have a nice role in Age of Ultron. And let Hollywood take notice: there are a lot of lovely, talented actresses that aren't stick thin!

Please, please let her have a nice role in Age of Ultron.
?!
Did you mean Ant-Man?

Based on what we saw of her health in Winter Soldier, there's no way she can have a significant role in Age of Ultron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"