Comics All Others Will Fail Compared to MJ

DACMAN

The Spidey Fan
Reaction score
Do you think they can really replace MJ? Any woman they give Peter will just be "it's not MJ". So no matter how good of a character they make or bring in, it'll always be "it's not MJ, his wife and soul mate."

No, they can't replace MJ.

Fact of the matter is that MJ has been SO closely associated to Peter Parker in every single media form. They're the staple couple (at least they use to be) of the Marvel universe along with Reed/Sue. When you think of Peter Parker...you think of MJ. It's that simple. Marvel can try all they want but, fans flipped out back in the day when Marvel tried to get put MJ six feet under with the plane crash and it's going to be no different now.

mj willl prevail joey q will fail

mj willl prevail joey q will fail

I think after a while (a few years of slow build up), MJ and Peter will be back as a "dating" couple, and I can tell you now that JQ would have no problems with that.

No, they can't replace MJ.

Fact of the matter is that MJ has been SO closely associated to Peter Parker in every single media form. They're the staple couple (at least they use to be) of the Marvel universe along with Reed/Sue. When you think of Peter Parker...you think of MJ. It's that simple. Marvel can try all they want but, fans flipped out back in the day when Marvel tried to get put MJ six feet under with the plane crash and it's going to be no different now.

While I agree with you 100%, I do find it kind of ironic coming from you, considering your avatar. :grin:

While I agree with you 100%, I do find it kind of ironic coming from you, considering your avatar. :grin:

Haha.

Yea I'm a huge fan of Felicia, but not with Peter. I think it worked well when it happened but thats it. I love the sexual tension between them. Of coarse that tension won't be as entertaining now being that Peter's single. Come on now, everyone knows the best "temptation" can only take place when you have something to lose if you give into it. :oldrazz:

I think after a while (a few years of slow build up), MJ and Peter will be back as a "dating" couple, and I can tell you now that JQ would have no problems with that.

Which would sort of negate this entire stupid retcon. I f***ing hate Joe Q.

Haha.

Yea I'm a huge fan of Felicia, but not with Peter. I think it worked well when it happened but thats it. I love the sexual tension between them. Of coarse that tension won't be as entertaining now being that Peter's single. Come on now, everyone knows the best "temptation" can only take place when you have something to lose if you give into it. :oldrazz:

If you think about, One More Day/Brand New Day also ruined the dynamic that a future team-up of Spider-Man and the Black Cat would bring, even though Peter is single now. That's because Felicia, like everybody else, no longer knows that Peter is Spider-Man, so a good portion of that character development is completely lost and, logically, were right back to where she was right when Marv Wolfman introduced her. Of course, Marvel has decided instead to use Jackpot in the same position, and, if she is in fact Mary Jane (and it's a pretty safe bet that she is) they're going to use that to make the whole "hero's ex team-up with him, causing awkward sexual tension in both" subplot like they had with Peter and Felicia. Of course, I've always seen Spidey's relationship with the Black Cat as a rip-off of the Batman/Catwoman dynamic, and it's obvious Marvel doesn't want to completely write-off Mary Jane because she's an important supporting cast member to the Spider-Man books, but in seems now that Peter and Mary Jane's relationship will be a rip-off of a rip-off.

MJ can't be replaced. Think about it, Peter & MJ's special. Peter had someone to come home to and to take care of him after big battles with super villians. How is that replacable? That's not even the only reason why MJ can't be replaced. Things clicked with Peter & MJ, specifically shortly after Gwen died. Though, Peter & MJ''s relationship wasn't a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship for a while. Anyway, MJ is a person that Peter loves dearly and no matter who you add in, Mj will always remain the best.

MJ can't be replaced. Think about it, Peter & MJ's special. Peter had someone to come home to and to take care of him after big battles with super villians. How is that replacable? That's not even the only reason why MJ can't be replaced. Things clicked with Peter & MJ, specifically shortly after Gwen died. Though, Peter & MJ''s relationship wasn't a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship for a while. Anyway, MJ is a person that Peter loves dearly and no matter who you add in, Mj will always remain the best.

Plus every single media outside of comics has portrayed Peter and MJ as an item, including a very successful movie franchise which was watched by both comic book and non-comic book readers alike. Even the character of Firestar from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was even modeled after her. And here's an interesting bit of trivia: Mary Jane's first appearance outside of the comic was in a single episode from the old Ralph Bakshi cartoon from the 1960s, in which she not only Peter's date, but also Captain Stacy's niece!:wow: And that was during a time when Peter and Gwen were seriously dating in the comics. Marvel may not want MJ to be "Mrs. Peter Parker," but they certainly can't just sweep her under the rug completely.

Plus every single media outside of comics has portrayed Peter and MJ as an item, including a very successful movie franchise which was watched by both comic book and non-comic book readers alike. Even the character of Firestar from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was even modeled after her. And here's an interesting bit of trivia: Mary Jane's first appearance outside of the comic was in a single episode from the old Ralph Bakshi cartoon from the 1960s, in which she not only Peter's date, but also Captain Stacy's niece!:wow: And that was during a time when Peter and Gwen were seriously dating in the comics. Marvel may not want MJ to be "Mrs. Peter Parker," but they certainly can't just sweep her under the rug completely.
I completley agree, and when people talke about Spidey saving the girl or Spidey with a girl, they include MJ. She's part of the Spidey saga and is one of the people that encourages Peter to keep doing what he's doing. :up:

I'd go as far to say that MJ may be more closely associated with Spidey than Lois with Superman.

But yeh, of course all other girls that come into Pete's life (to date) will fail.

It's editorially mandated they fail.

SO i don't know why people are SO EXCITED over pointless dating opportunities now. I firmly believe there are some people that JUST DON"T GET IT.

And yeh, as other's said, even Black Cat is pointless now...she doesn't remember PEte or anything either. SO EVEN THAT STORY WILL BE A RE-TREAD. All the stories now can basically one day go towards that smae things again...aunt may discovering Pete is spidey, black cat discovering pete is spidey....harry discovering pete is spidey.

This retcon is more annoying than anything, and childishly written and not thought out at all. Glad Joe has got some people pumped for it, mostly due to Slott being the one actually pouring the spoiled milk.

mj should be replaced by a new love interest, one that will eventually take over from her position in the next ten years or so.

personally, i think parker should fall for an older woman, it's not a dynamic that has really been played out but he does seem to generally look for people with security within themselves. Maybe the twist is that her daughter is a supervillain or hero and parker has to overall deal with her trying to break up their relationship on the inside and be friends/enemies with them outside.

single mother territory is where spidey should be at.

The relationship starts off open so she never asks questions about why he slips out at night and ultimately thinks he has other women on the side, especially with her son/daughter trying to hurt him on the inside....

I'd lap that crap up.

mj should be replaced by a new love interest, one that will eventually take over from her position in the next ten years or so.

personally, i think parker should fall for an older woman, it's not a dynamic that has really been played out but he does seem to generally look for people with security within themselves. Maybe the twist is that her daughter is a supervillain or hero and parker has to overall deal with her trying to break up their relationship on the inside and be friends/enemies with them outside.

The relationship starts off open so she never asks questions about why he slips out at night and ultimately thinks he has other women on the side, especially with her son/daughter trying to hurt him on the inside....

I'd lap that crap up.

sounds like you want to i think the term is marry sue YOURSELF into the spider-verse eh november?

Despite my own opinion, I voted against because I loathe the term soul mate. More than 50% of soul mates end in divorce.

I'd lap that crap up.
This is the worst idea I've ever heard. Seriously. Some people say that kind of stuff all the time. So it's lost it's effect. But seriously. That is the WORST idea for a story I've ever heard. The only thing worse than that I can think of is just making him gay.

Despite my own opinion, I voted against because I loathe the term soul mate. More than 50% of soul mates end in divorce.
Then they weren't soul mates. They shouldn't have gotten married to begin with.

It's kind of hard to undo the prominence of MJ after 20 plus years entrenched and so deeply associated with Spidey.

Like everyone else has stated, we're back to rehashing stories that were done so many years ago and probably done much better to boot :(

This is the worst idea I've ever heard. Seriously. Some people say that kind of stuff all the time. So it's lost it's effect. But seriously. That is the WORST idea for a story I've ever heard. The only thing worse than that I can think of is just making him gay.
you're a hulk fan, this is like water off a duck's back.

:dry:

Yes, they can replace MJ. All you need are the correct ingredients. Can they replace MJ RIGHT NOW? No. Right now it's too soon. Too many Spider-Man fans are acting like Marvel pissed in their cornflakes to do that. I mean most people around here had a nerd seizure over Peter kissing another woman on the first page of Brand New Day. He's NOT married to MJ...it's not cheating people. No matter how much you want it to be, sigh.

In time...yes, she can be replaced. The right writer and the right storyline. The right character. It can be done. Suddenly it'll be all about that girl and people will remember MJ but this other girl will be a better fit for Peter Parker.

Do I really think that will happen? No. I think what is going to happen is that Pete and MJ are still going to find each other despite the devil's little hypnotizing spell. And if not...oh well...as long as Brand New Day is being written like the first part it's going to be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"