All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think most people complained about the darker, grittier stuff with regard to Batman.

Most of the tonal complaints with BVS involved Superman, not Batman.

Indeed. The only problem I think people had with Batman was that he sure killed a lot of people. Other than that, Batman was fine.

Superman was the biggest, most glaring problem in the film hands down.

It's hard to find a character in BvS that didn't had a immense problem. It's easy to blame Superman, but the rest of the characters wasn't much better

Surely one or two characters with the biggest problem not named Superman or Batman in the movie =

Martha

:cwink:

Of all the Martha jokes I've heard/read, this is probably the most unclear.
Like seriously, what?

I was saying that if one wanted to find one of the movies biggest problems that's not any of the main characters Martha tops them all both of them

ok...

Say what you want about Suicide Squad but visually speaking, Enchantress and El Diablo were amazing! Enchantress was incredibly creepy when she first appeared and El Diablo was completely badass when he powered up (that Aztec/Mayan warrior look was incredible!). It's a shame about what happened to them both, although I'm hoping they return in future movies! So much potential there!

But they're not Batman characters so we'll likely never see them again :(

Just do Flashpoint Paradox for the Flash movie, all the main characters except for Reverse Flash have been cast already, and thy can use this as a much needed reset button for the DCEU

The DCEU has some good things going for it and a reset like this could be just what they need

Has anyone else noticed that not since Wan's signing (summer of '15) has the DCEU secured a single new director for their slate? All the ones that did in that period eventually walked. We're closing in on 2 years of no newcomers.

For a supposedly expansive and planned cinematic universe, that's extremely disconcerting.

I'm reposting this.

The problem Is, they built their universe on a poor foundation based on reactive desicions. Everything they've done thus far has been bad.

The problem Is, they built their universe on a poor foundation based on reactive desicions. Everything they've done thus far has been bad.

Those are your only differences?

Has anyone else noticed that not since Wan's signing (summer of '15) has the DCEU secured a single new director for their slate? All the ones that did in that period eventually walked. We're closing in on 2 years of no newcomers.

For a supposedly expansive and planned cinematic universe, that's extremely disconcerting.

And also in that time, how many movies have they announced plans for, a dozen?

And also in that time, how many movies have they announced plans for, a dozen?
Shazam
Black Adam
The Batman
MOS 2
Flash
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Justice League: Dark

Short of the last one (Liman is reportedly on), we have no concrete info on these supposedly "upcoming" films. How absurd is that?

They did sign Ayers for Sirens
He's not new. Ayer was signed a year before Wan. He got the go-ahead for a new film, but that's still WB going back to their current lineup.

And I actually double-checked, I'm slightly wrong as Doug Liman was reported to be the new director for Justice League: Dark. However in spite of Liman publicly commenting on working on the project last year, there's been no updates since nor has there ever been an official announcement of his position. I'll leave it to you guys to decide whether he counts.

The key word is circling as it was not a sure thing until after James Wan was announced
I don't understand. By December '14, the leads were signed. That doesn't happen without Ayer's official involvement because we know Ayer personally talked with all the cast prior to them getting onboard.

In the time Wan first started getting rumored for Aquaman (Spring '15), Suicide Squad had already started filming.

The key word is circling as it was not a sure thing until after James Wan was announced

Wan was announced on June 3rd, as the article is dated. Suicide Squad was already shooting as of April 2015, so Ayer had to be onboard before Wan was.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

I'm reposting this.

And I'll repost this:

I think that the DCEU is being held up to an impossible standard. It's being treated like it's at it's 25th film.

Nonsense. Making a fundimental good film is hardly asking for a miracle. Film studios make good films all the time. The last 3 batman films are proof of that.

Comparing to Marvel is the problem.

No it isn't. The DCEU making garbage movies and being shrouded in negative PR is the problem. Their entire business acumen is a joke. None of what you're saying was an issue when Ironman came out the same year TDK did, why? Because both were good films that were recieved well critically.

At this point Marvel had just made Iron Man 2. Let's put that in perspective. They had Iron man, Hulk, and then Iron Man 2. Regardless of how you felt about the films. That's not a huge universe.

So what? WB have owned all the DC characters for decades, they have their pick of which heroes to use. They have experience with making successful superhero movies. Marvel OTOH built their universe using B and C list characters and turned them into A-list icons by employing a modicum of good sense, a decent plan and the conviction to do right by their characters and audiences instead of making a quick buck and releasing their movies no matter what (which is admittedly the mindset of WB).

Trying to compare what Marvel were doing in 2008 to 2012 to the state of the DCEU right now doesn't offer empathy to the latter; in fact it does the opposite. The DCEU have the benefit of hindsight and they're still failing.

Now getting each hero a solo film before JL?

Superman and Batman have had plenty of films. The GA knows these guys. The JL cartoons never needed to introduce solo series for most of the roster.

Plenty of ensemble movies don't have prefilms.

Avengers essentially reintroduces the bulk of the cast.

What Marvel did with their world building was build their studio. They had to build the foundation so they could expand.

The WB's infrastructure is already built.

Now again I think the DCEU on the internet has been held up to an impossible standard.

Nope. The DCEU put themselves in a position where they didn't think things through properly. They planned poorly and are perpetually in a reactionary state. There's no conviction in what they're doing and there's no clear objective for them to work towards.
Whether it's solo films or a shared universe, the only thing audiences want more than anything are good films that entertain and showcase the characters correctly. Forget Marvel Studios for a second, look at Deadpool and now Logan! These 2 films havn't done anything special other than do what they set out to do, which was to make great movies and surprise-surprise they succeeded. What's WB/DCEU's excuse??

The Batman production is being treated like it's in development hell. Um plenty of films vet directors. Marvel has certainly done it. Thor has had three different directors. Captain America got new directors. Hulk hasn't seen a new film. Iron man got a new one for the 3rd.

The difference is Marvel don't turn the hiring of their directors into some sort of dog and pony show and then have it blow up spectacularly in their face.

With the Batman, too many sites kept using misleading titles. They took rumor as fact. They took interest as confirmation.

It's just so frustrating to see unfair reactions.

Which sites took rumour as fact? Obscure blog sites? Reputable trades? In any case, I've only seen commentary on the rumours and actual facts on the aforementioned. The only place where people are confusing conjecture with fact are amongst overzealous fanboys on forums.
In any case, the unfair reactions you speak of are largely justified reactions. The DCEU is a mess and WB are mismanaging the entire operation in a spectacularly epic fashion. They should all feel embarrassed.

This is false. Doug Liman signed on for Justice League Dark last year.

Say what you want about Suicide Squad but visually speaking, Enchantress and El Diablo were amazing! Enchantress was incredibly creepy when she first appeared and El Diablo was completely badass when he powered up (that Aztec/Mayan warrior look was incredible!). It's a shame about what happened to them both, although I'm hoping they return in future movies! So much potential there!

But they're not Batman characters so we'll likely never see them again :(

I completely agree. I had never heard of Cara Delevigne before SS, and I was very concerned about someone so young pulling off such an important, multi-faceted role. She made me a fan of hers by the end of the film.

Diablo was an incredibly tragic character. Despite having the darkest past of the Squad, he was arguably the most heroic. That's solid character development. I also replayed his fight with Incubus several times on Blu-ray. That was some amazing CGI work.

This is false. Doug Liman signed on for Justice League Dark last year.
No official announcement from studio.

I'm aware Liman has commented on working on the film, but so was Guillermo for 2 years and that ended up nowhere. Plus with WBs internal struggles...

And I'll repost this:

giphy.gif

The DCEU is literally repeating the same problems the MCU had in IM2 and AoU (I actually love AoU bit will admit the flaws). How can they not learn from the mistakes of others? When they saw people criticizing Marvel for sacrificing story telling for world building (Thor Cave scene, Shield in IM2) they chose to double down and half ass it instead of trying to avoid it altogether. It just goes to show where the mindset is.

Remember people saying Snyder would be ashamed when he sees Lego batman or hate it etc etc etc...

Wow those people were totally right...

B7TK062.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"