All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
An attempt, I didn't call it a successful one. :D

Okay, I guess I was confused because you totally agreed with someone who said Bizarro would have been perfect because Lex could have guaranteed his obedience.

Agreed! “Bling-bling” Joker has to be the worst idea ever! The character couldn’t care less about that sort of thing. They turned a criminal genius into a common cheap lowlife thug....

There are classic versions of the character where he is very much portrayed as a crime boss, and even concerned with material wealth.

There's no indication in the film that The Joker isn't still a criminal genius...that's not the key focus of the film.

I don't give a **** about bling-bling if the character is well written, which Leto's Joker wasn't.

giphy.gif

It kind of doesn't matter though, does it?

They didn't say "Dick", "Tim", "Jason", or any other name in the film.

I thought it was fairly obvious they were just showing that "Robin" was gone, probably for general audiences The identity and manner of his disappearance was left up to the audience's interpretation in BVS.

Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is here. It was left ambiguous, and within the context of the film, which Robin died is hardly relevant. Plus, it obviously has had zero impact on the future of the DCEU, since there is a Nightwing film in development.

It kind of doesn't matter though, does it?

They didn't say "Dick", "Tim", "Jason", or any other name in the film.

I thought it was fairly obvious they were just showing that "Robin" was gone, probably for general audiences The identity and manner of his disappearance was left up to the audience's interpretation in BVS.

Not really. You can't show us that Robin was killed by The Joker without strongly alluding to Jason Todd.

Not really. You can't show us that Robin was killed by The Joker without strongly alluding to Jason Todd.

So, for you, it's Jason. There's nothing to contradict that interpretation, and there will likely be a DCEU Dick Grayson in the future. For Snyder, when he made the film, he thought Dick's death would have made a much bigger impact on Bruce's psyche. He still left the identity of Robin open-ended.

Yes you can.

It's fiction. It's a veiled nod to A Death in The Family, but there's no verification that it WAS Jason in the suit.

The average audience member has no idea which Robin was killed by The Joker...or even, in many cases, that there have been multiple Robins.

Snyder likes ambiguity. Much of what was in BVS was vague and ambiguous, and I'm fairly certain people are meant to fill in the blanks themselves, in a broader thematic sense. They left themselves a ton of room to work, in terms of other films and storylines.

I think Batman v Superman would have been a perfect time to use Bizarro. Use him in the place of Doomsday.

Bizarro or Doomsday IMO wouldn't have made any difference because the last act was ridicules especially with superman dying to inspire batman's return to greatness. Pretty much good 'ol Zack's "f*** you" to superman.

Yup because Jason's life wouldn't have meant much for Bruce:o. Again a great show of character understanding by Snyder. Luckily Zack's DCEU plans are dead in the water so non of it matters now.

At this point all I care for is that Nightwing movie we may or may not have.

Same. Spy thriller Grayson rising from his grave as we all speculated back in 2015 or so. And played by Scott Eastwood no less, months ahead of Skwad.

Bizarro or Doomsday IMO wouldn't have made any difference because the last act was ridicules especially with superman dying to inspire batman's return to greatness. Pretty much good 'ol Zack's "f*** you" to superman.

Snyder screwed Superman by using his ultimate act of sacrifice to inspire Batman and humanity to make a better world as their monument to that sacrifice? Superman suffered rejection, violence, and death at the hands of men who feared their own powerless and place in the universe, but he died for them anyway. He gave up all of his power to protect them anyway. Snyder screwed over Superman by showing us how he is humble, how he inspires through grace, and ultimately is mortal just like us?

Yup because Jason's life wouldn't have meant much for Bruce:o. Again a great show of character understanding by Snyder. Luckily Zack's DCEU plans are dead in the water so non of it matters now.

Snyder didn't say anything about Jason's life lacking meaning for Bruce. His rationale is, as far as I can tell, that failing Dick would have been the ultimate betrayal, especially if failing Dick went beyond precipitating his death but also his moral corruption.

DaCsFxXVAAAkRNC.jpg

Yes you can.

It's fiction. It's a veiled nod to A Death in The Family, but there's no verification that it WAS Jason in the suit.

The average audience member has no idea which Robin was killed by The Joker...or even, in many cases, that there have been multiple Robins.

Snyder likes ambiguity. Much of what was in BVS was vague and ambiguous, and I'm fairly certain people are meant to fill in the blanks themselves, in a broader thematic sense. They left themselves a ton of room to work, in terms of other films and storylines.

It's not a veiled nod, it became a direct reference when he made Joker Robin's killer. Come on, dude. If he wanted to leave it vague he should have left out the Joker stuff.

he really has the worst ideas, jesus.

His idea was only that, to him, Dick would create a special kind of wound for Bruce. Also part of his idea, however, was to never make any of this explicit. So, take these two things separately. Do you agree with the idea that Dick's death would have a significant and special impact on Bruce? Do you appreciate that Snyder left it ambiguous even though he could have made it explicit and canon? If you can manage to answer "yes" to both, then Snyder's specific idea is fine.

It's not a veiled nod, it became a direct reference when he made Joker Robin's killer. Come on, dude. If he wanted to leave it vague he should have left out the Joker stuff.

It is veiled. Anything that doesn't state aloud onscreen that it's Jason is veiled. Certainly being killed by the Joker isn't sufficient, especially not for your average movie goer.

Yes you can.

Actually, there's no verification that it was Robin in that scene, because Robin wasn't established as a character in the DCEU. That scene was just stupid because it assumed audience knowledge based on other Batman series/universes. Pretending I've never seen a Batman story before the DCEU, this is how that scene read to me pre-Suicide Squad:

On his way to doing some grim Super-Murdering, Batman stopped to look at his original batsuit, back when he used to have a different color scheme. He was young and idealistic back then, if inexperienced, and he worked really hard on presenting himself as a friendly neighborhood Batman. Batman was filled with rage as he remembered those graffiti artist punks pranking him and spraypainting his beautiful rainbow batsuit. They mocked him, they laughed at him, and they got away with it. He loved his Batsuit so much that he hung it up in honor, and he loved it too much to ever replace it. But oh, he would have his revenge someday. He would find them and murder them all. Thinking about murder, he remembered that he was supposed to be murdering Superman this week and went about his business.

I mean, really, what about that scene was supposed to say, "Batman had a sidekick who was murdered by a psychotic clown, and that was part of why he was so messed up"?

I will never admit to him thinking of my favorite character as a prop for his Batman's already hollow to begin with path out of darkness.

Never never never. Its stupid and I'm glad a lot of his ideas will never see the light of day. He should never be allowed to play with fictional characters who already exist, especially ones who are so universally beloved. Let him come up with his own characters to put in stupid scenarios.

Dick leaving him and Jason dying is just as effective as whatever dumb idea he had floating around in his head. He was just trying to be different for the sake of being different.

My mind isn't changing and I know for sure yours isn't as well, so I'll end this now. I'm just glad he'll never get to further sully the reputation of these characters for future generations.

It is veiled. Anything that doesn't state aloud onscreen that it's Jason is veiled. Certainly being killed by the Joker isn't sufficient, especially not for your average movie goer.

Oh, please. It's simple deduction. Oh, look, there's a Robin costume. Appears to be fit for a male, so that excludes Stephanie Brown. Oh wait, what's that text on his costume... he was killed by The Joker! Which Robin was famously killed by The Joker... Jason Todd! Case closed.

This certainly ties into those set photos that leaked of a Dick Grayson headstone in the Wayne Cemetery.

Even if the deceased Robin's identity was left ambiguous in the final film, the fact that Snyder even thought of using Dick for this purpose in the first place is highly disagreeable. That's all I was commenting on. The idea of killing off Dick instead of Jason.

Needless to say, thank Almighty God that Dick wasn't explicitly name-dropped in the film. So yes, in the grand scheme of things this isn't all that important.

Last edited:
Oh, please. It's simple deduction. Oh, look, there's a Robin costume. Appears to be fit for a male, so that excludes Stephanie Brown. Oh wait, what's that text on his costume... he was killed by The Joker! Which Robin was famously killed by The Joker... Jason Todd! Case closed.

It’s pretty stunning that this even needs to be spelled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"