All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they actually sell something that is not technically theirs ? They are essentially renting the rights as if they don't make a movie in a certain amount of time it reverts

Yup. They bought the option to make those films. They can sell that option if they so choose. There may be limiting language in the contract but I'm pretty sure sale of the entire studio is covered and the buyer of said studio would now hold the option rights.

Yup. They bought the option to make those films. They can sell that option if they so choose. There may be limiting language in the contract but I'm pretty sure sale of the entire studio is covered and the buyer of said studio would now hold the option rights.

That would be pretty funny if it happens as instead of MARVEL waiting to buy the rights back in time for Phase 4 while you let Sony crash & burn with their ******** you have Sony turn around & sell the rights away :woot: MARVEL should not have done that deal

Well, it's not a terrible deal as Sony is paying for the films, they get the box office but Disney gets the merch money which is where the real moola is at...However those spinoffs could dilute the brand.

Well, it's not a terrible deal as Sony is paying for the films, they get the box office but Disney gets the merch money which is where the real moola is at...However those spinoffs could dilute the brand.

Considering what happened with the Homecoming side casting with Sonys involvement I'd prefer waiting longer instead of MARVEL selling their souls to Tom Rothman the devil

I wanted to learn more about Sony and why they are in the situation they are in. Unfortunately its turned into yay Marvel parade.

I wanted to learn more about Sony and why they are in the situation they are in. Unfortunately its turned into yay Marvel parade.

I pretty much said it in my previous post.

But let me expand on it after a little research.

These are the "big franchises" that Sony has.

Bond
Spider-Man
Men in Black
Ghostbusters

And I previously said, Sony lost almost $1B last quarter alone. They aren't exactly a machine with their releases and their franchises are way spread out. Personally, I think the whole Venom and Silver Sable/Black Cat spin off is a sign of desperation.

The studio has struggled in recent years: in 2016, just one of its releases – Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters reboot – landed in its all-time Top 50, with a $128m global take. The previous year, two releases, Skyfall and Hotel Transylvania 2, charted in its Top 20.

Bond
Spider-Man
Men in Black
Ghostbusters

And I previously said, Sony lost almost $1B last quarter alone.
Didn't know they lost a billion last quarter but that is music to my ears.

Studios release other movies besides franchises. The franchise game just started a few years ago. TaSM and Spiderman 3 were a long time ago and who is in charge that they haven't learned yet.
But nevermind I'll have to try and get the info somewhere else.

Studios release other movies besides franchises. The franchise game just started a few years ago. TaSM and Spiderman 3 were a long time ago and who is in charge that they haven't learned yet.

The short answer is mismanagement, the long answer can be found by researching the 2014 Sony hacks. North Korea was pissed about the movie The Interview and didn't want Sony to release it, so they hired hackers (I want to say predominantly Russian hackers but I could be wrong) to hack their email servers and release them all publicly, which they did with ease.

Apparently Sony's entire cyber security team was severely underfunded and understaffed, and upper management had ignored their cries for more manpower and resources for years. The hackers easily spilled all the dirt, and revealed a lot of incriminating stuff, among them racist jokes made by the then-Sony Pictures President Amy Pascal, along with her and others badmouthing countless people all over Hollywood. It was a real **** show, and the company almost went belly up.

That's as far as I know, but just search the Sony Hacks and it will reveal all the pertinent information that led to the event that has put Sony where they are now.

Tentpole pictures carry a lot of the smaller movies.

The bigger Studios are Disney, Universal, WB, Fox, Paramount, Sony/Columbia and Lionsgate.

The last time Sony was #1 for the year in terms of domestic totals was 2012. That year they had Skyfall, TASM2, MIB3, Hotel Transylvania and 21 Jump Street.

Last year their "biggest" releases were Ghostbusters and Angry Birds. Which didn't really set the box office on fire.

They are releasing between 15-22 films a year and they've been behind at least 3 Studios since 2013. Their movies just aren't bringing in as much as some of the others and they just don't have the franchises.

This year their biggest hit seems to be Spider-Man and that's with Disney helping.

Other than that it's Smurfs, Dark Tower and Jumanji. They all have potential to be hits, but just as much they can easily tank.

Thank you Flint and Erzangel for your info it really helped me to understand a little bit more what's going on. I hate that that hack had something to do with their troubles but Flint you make it seem like it was their fault.

Bond
Spider-Man
Men in Black
Ghostbusters

And I previously said, Sony lost almost $1B last quarter alone. They aren't exactly a machine with their releases and their franchises are way spread out. Personally, I think the whole Venom and Silver Sable/Black Cat spin off is a sign of desperation.

Sony doesn't have Bond. They only had the distribution rights, and those expired after Spectre.

Then that's just worse for them.

I wonder if Marvel had that SM trailer in their back pocket waiting to steal the thunder from the JL one.

I doubt it will. It's a pretty good trailer but it's more of the same.

No way Marvel released this a few days after Justice League on purpose. It was a Wondercon schedule thing for months. It probably did take a little bit of JL's thunder tho, if only because the Spidey trailer has been well received, where the JL was mixed to put it lightly.

The spider-man trailer has not been well received...it's basically shown the whole movie in the trailer, you can see the problem he has, the problems he need to overcome, and how he's going to do it.

It's a REALLY bad trailer, and I hope for Spider-mans sake the movie is a lot better than what they've shown.

Meh, trailers been getting a mostly great reception everywhere I've been with at worst people saying it was ok or alright.

JL trailer has been getting a BRUTAL reaction by a large number of people. It looks like trash.

I do think the Spider-Man trailer reception has been somewhat mixed but saying it hasn't been received well is a stretch

Vanilla is how I'd describe the SMH trailer.

I've seen so many bad trailers for good movies and good trailers for bad movies that it's impossible to give any worth to any trailer to determine the goodness or badness of the film. I mean, heck, maybe what...? One-tenth of the material in the Rogue One trailers even made it into the film. For all we know, none of the stuff in either SM:H or JL trailers will be in the movie.

The only idea we'll have of how good or bad the movie will be is when the movie comes out and we watch it. Period, point blank.

Aaron Sorkin is having talks with both Marvel Studios and WB about writing cbms.

http://batman-news.com/2017/03/28/o...iter-aaron-sorkin-is-in-talks-with-dc-comics/
I don't know how he would fit in with Marvel. The MCU is pretty much set with past movies and they won't reboot and erase all that. We don't know what phase 4 has in store though, possible they bring Sorkin in and let him have a say.

I think him working with DC is likely. If JL bombs or is poorly received they may have to blow it up. Sorkin would have to be brought in to remake the Universe.

With comics I just don't know how many top award winning writers want to stay long term. Comic book movies are great but sometimes these top writers and directors want to do something one time and be done. They don't want to do long running franchises. See how long Cameron has been working on Avatar, that **** is crazy long.

Vanilla is how I'd describe the SMH trailer.

I agree. But I still liked it. It was charmingly vanilla.

I still think I'll like the other interpretations of Spider-Man more than this one, though. At least until the character is able to come into his own, which will likely happen by his second or third appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"