All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They scrapped Man of Steel 2 in favor of BvS, where they only gave Superman 43 lines in the theatrical cut, 36 of which were 12 words or less, almost all of which were the bare minimum he could say in the scene to allow the other person to speak.

Yeah.... not seeing that passion.

They scrapped Man of Steel 2 in favor of BvS, where they only gave Superman 43 lines in the theatrical cut, 36 of which were 12 words or less, almost all of which were the bare minimum he could say in the scene to allow the other person to speak.

I remember a BvS fan once argued with me that dialogue for Superman isn't important, because characters with minimal dialogue like the Terminator are still great.

He literally compared Superman to the Terminator.

Dialogue isn't the only or best way to evaluate passion. It's superficial at best. The trilogy of MoS, BvS, and JL is Superman's trilogy for his monomythic arc. He is the thread binding all of those together and moving them forward, and he is the foundation upon which the first phase of the DCEU stands. Without knowing what Man of Steel 2 could have been about, it seems likely that it would have been a similar arc as what played out in BvS only with just Lex instead of Lex AND Bruce acting as antagonists.

Hell, they "killed off" Superman in his second appearance on film. If that is passion from WB then that is all kinds of f***ed up, no matter how much misslane38 make excuses for it.

*awaits for her book long retort*

Last edited:
Hell, they "killed off" Superman in his second appearance on film. If that is passion from WB then that is all kinds of f***ed up, no matter how much misslane38 make excuses for it.

I don't always write a lot, as my previous post in this thread exemplifies. I also think you're exaggerating, and I can't imagine why you'd feel the need to do so. As for a death, that's neither here nor there. He was killed by filmmakers who foreshadowed and planned for his immediate and powerful resurrection to even greater glory, which is hardly the same as casually disposing of a character out of disgust and with no intention of future use due to lack of passion for him. It was also a storyline taken from a famous event in Superman comics and done to echo both the redemption themes of BvS as well as resurrection-based religious themes. None of which suggests a lack of passion for the character.

I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that WB has no passion for Superman. What's that based on? What YOU think should be done with the character?

It's silly to paint an entire studio with such a blanket statement. There are likely plenty of people working on these projects who are passionate about Superman. It is arrogant to believe there are no entities at the studio with passion for the character.

They may just be passionate about a different version of Superman than the most well known ones.

But come on now...

-MAN OF STEEL
-BATMAN V SUPERMAN
-Namedrop/key plot point in SUICIDE SQUAD
-JUSTICE LEAGUE
-Rumored/announced Superman solo
-Rumors of a role in Shazam
-SUPERGIRL, which is clearly heavily influenced by the Superman mythos
-A role in LEGO movie
-Superman elements in LEGO BATMAN
-Major player in multiple animated projects, multiple TV series over the years...

No passion? I'm not seeing it. As misslane has pointed out, WB has given him the Jesus treatment. You don't ascribe that kind of meaning to a character that means nothing to you as a creative force.

If JUSTICE LEAGUE and Superman are received well at all, I expect we will hear more about Superman's next film upon his return, if not multiple films with his involvement.

Last edited:
Man of Steel - moping around/portrayed as a menace
Batman V Superman - portrayed as a menace
Suicide Squad - portrayed as a menace
Rumored/announced Superman solo- :funny:
Rumors of a role in Shazam - probably portrayed as a menace

Rumors of a role in Shazam - probably portrayed as a menace

Yeah, they're gonna do that. The creators probably want to replicate the Superman/Captain Marvel brawl in Kingdom Come. Or "Clash".

Dialogue isn't the only or best way to evaluate passion. It's superficial at best. The trilogy of MoS, BvS, and JL is Superman's trilogy for his monomythic arc. He is the thread binding all of those together and moving them forward, and he is the foundation upon which the first phase of the DCEU stands. Without knowing what Man of Steel 2 could have been about, it seems likely that it would have been a similar arc as what played out in BvS only with just Lex instead of Lex AND Bruce acting as antagonists.

Are you sure you want to waste your time with people who obviously have DCEU and want to see it fail?!

I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that WB has no passion for Superman. What's that based on? What YOU think should be done with the character?

It's silly to paint an entire studio with such a blanket statement. There are likely plenty of people working on these projects who are passionate about Superman. It is arrogant to believe there are no entities at the studio with passion for the character.

They may just be passionate about a different version of Superman than the most well known ones.

But come on now...

-MAN OF STEEL
-BATMAN V SUPERMAN
-Namedrop/key plot point in SUICIDE SQUAD
-JUSTICE LEAGUE
-Rumored/announced Superman solo
-Rumors of a role in Shazam
-SUPERGIRL, which is clearly heavily influenced by the Superman mythos
-A role in LEGO movie
-Superman elements in LEGO BATMAN
-Major player in multiple animated projects, multiple TV series over the years...

No passion? I'm not seeing it. As misslane has pointed out, WB has given him the Jesus treatment. You don't ascribe that kind of meaning to a character that means nothing to you as a creative force.

If JUSTICE LEAGUE and Superman are received well at all, I expect we will hear more about Superman's next film upon his return, if not multiple films with his involvement.

You're talking to a brick wall dude. There is no DC news so the hoard has come out to play and poopoo on the movies. Guess that Oscar win burn heeled.

Last edited:
Suicide Squad - portrayed as a menace

How was he portrayed as a menace in Suicide Squad? His bravery and sacrifice were acknowledged; the concern was that the next 'Superman' might not be so benevolent.

How was he portrayed as a menace in Suicide Squad? His bravery and sacrifice were acknowledged; the concern was that the next 'Superman' might not be so benevolent.

Exactly. That high ranking military guy calls him a national hero. We're shown shots from bvs of the people in mourning. The whole task force X initiative is a rejoinder to the fact that they're in a superman-less world now and more vulnerable then ever, clearly consolidating his status as defender of the world. Where did he ever get the idea that he's portrayed as a menace? I'm guessing that "what is superman killed the president" line? Except they were talking about the potential next superman that comes along. "What if the next superman is a terrorist". "We got lucky with superman he shared our values. the next superman might not"

Last edited:
But even if they did talk about Superman as a potential threat, what's wrong with that? It doesn't really happen in Suicide Squad but it does in BVS and MOS. But why is that a bad thing? I don't see how it demonstrates contempt for the character on behalf of the writers and creative team. If anything, placing him in a watered-down, kid-friendly, one-dimensional world where nobody ever stops to question the potential dangers of his near omnipotence... that would be paying real disservice to the character.

I think you people need to go watch Dr Strange a few more times. The shiny CGI will calm you down.

But even if they did talk about Superman as a potential threat, what's wrong with that? It doesn't really happen in Suicide Squad but it does in BVS and MOS. But why is that a bad thing? I don't see how it demonstrates contempt for the character on behalf of the writers and creative team. If anything, placing him in a watered-down, kid-friendly, one-dimensional world where nobody ever stops to question the potential dangers of his near omnipotence... that would be paying real disservice to the character.

I think you people need to go watch Dr Strange a few more times. The shiny CGI will calm you down.

A CGI crack in defence of the DCEU? What are you going for there...? :huh:

Jeff Sneider is hearing that Ben Affleck will be at Cinemacon to promote Justice League.
CinemaCon is March 27th-30th

WB will present 4:30-6:30 PST March 29th

Last edited:
Sounds like they want to send out a message of reassurance.

It's for the fans, Kane! You don't understand! :sly:

Are you sure you want to waste your time with people who obviously have DCEU and want to see it fail?!

You're talking to a brick wall dude. There is no DC news so the hoard has come out to play and poopoo on the movies. Guess that Oscar win burn heeled.

I fail to see how posts like these contribute to the conversation. As much as I disagree with them, at least The Guard and misslane make an attempt to actually say something.

But whatever. It's your right to post whatever you want.

For starters - how about NOT deconstruct him to the point where he's a broodish, angsty millenial. It wasn't even relatable - it just kept sucking the spirit out of both films he was involved in. When he did talk, it came off like he was pitching product on the QVC.

They absolutely need to loosen the character up. I mean there was a moment when he was atop that building with Luthor and he looked like a freakin' demon with the glowing eyes and spewing rage. Now clearly he's not going to be happy about what Luthor had done - but it was still odd.

Last edited:
If MOS/BvS/JL is really supposed to be some spiritual superman trilogy, then I expect a whole lot out of him in JL, or this "spiritual trilogy" will have been a huge letdown in my eyes.

The payoff needs to be big. Like I need to say to myself after leaving the theater "wow, I don't know how they did it, but the stuff superman went through in the first two movies that I didn't necessarily enjoy was totally worth it."

It's that age old case of BvS being too deep for us to understand. All those layers :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"