All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will likely hear about the next Superman movie after Justice League is released and people get excited about the character again.

Yes, announce the news off the back of a (hopefully) well received Superman return.

Captain America is a completely different character and has also been greatly benefited by being in the same universe as characters like Iron Man, in the MCU.

The older Superman, that most people know, is a very good guy with almost no moral flaws, which by today's standard is pretty boring. You can make him more flawed , but then you will please a few people that weren't pleased before, but you will displease older Superman fans who see him as the flawless man of tomorrow. You can change his personality, so he doesn't seem so goody-goody, but then you will have people complaining that he is acting like a smart ass, or that he is arrogant. .

Honestly I don't know where you're getting this because superman has ALWAYS been portrayed as flawed whether be it the comics, recent tv shows like L&C and smallville, STAS/JL and the Chris Reeve films. Heck in the Chris Reeve films (the version that people know the most) he's at his most human. The big issue is that recent film makers like Singer and Snyder tried to make superman flawed and human but just ended up sucking the life and charisma out of the character while Donner and Mankewitz succeeded in giving him humanity without sacrificing any of the qualities that made him approachable and likable.
That's the key word here likable not relatable because the latter is what spider-man is supposed to be while superman is wish fulfillment and hope.
STAS and the recent CW version played by Tyler Hoechlin made superman very appealing by simply giving him a likable, charming personality and the result was a positive response from critics and fans alike and while I understand that animation and TV differ from films at the end of the day I believe that a good character is a good character regardless of the medium and when WB get their heads out of their collective a**es they might come to that realization as well.

LOL, the irony. You don't like people twisting your words when you twist and/or misinterpret what other people say on a regular basis.

I said WB doesn't have passion for Superman, I never said anything about lack of interest. Interest is Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2. Passion is Spider-Man 1 and 2.

You call me ironic? :funny: please tell me what I twisted? You responded to me first (admittedly without quoting but a clear response) and then said something like I just don't like it when people bad mouth DC films. Yet you're the one whose getting in a tizzy about that :funny:

So if you don't like something that means there was no passion in it?

Superman has gotten movies and tv shows....its as if they're smart enough to realize that, despite their apparent lack of passion for the character, he's still an icon and they can make money off of him.

Here is what you said, so I replied

Yeah because they'd be passionate about any of these characters if they weren't making money :whatever:

I don't see how them making stuff to make money as EVERY studio does shows a lack of passion whatsoever.

Last edited:
My point was that Superman has been very much reduced to a cameo character even on JLA where it's a variety show like some of the previous DC shows. 2 ep are about when he was the focus and those two involved him either being weakened or overpowered & a destructive force of nature. Heck, even the last two starred Zod and Brainiac respectively, but the ep were built on how the other available Leaguers took them on given Superman was coincidentally trapped.

A solo Superman sequel may be in the works, but it seems like they're in no "rush" (not nearly as much movement) compared to other projects.

Characters always have quieter periods and if this is a quiet period of for him then I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

It's a show about the Justice league as a team so they're bound to do stuff like that. I don't see why that means he's been relegated as a character. The first episode I saw was him and Wonder Woman fighting that being that absorbed the Parasite and Superman was the most prominent character in that episode. Really think you're making a weird point.

They don't need to rush the sequel they're building a DCEU and until later this year he is so far the only hero in this universe with a solo film.

You call me ironic? :funny: please tell me what I twisted? You responded to me first

Um, no. I responded to Joker and talked about WB lacking passion for the character, and suddenly you jumped in with this:

Superman's been given a good showing form WB, three movies in the last decade, a TV show that ran from 2001-2011 along with a TV series proper to that, a two episode appearance on Supergirl aswell as the fact Supergirl is a Superman world show), countless animated appearances etc etc. If that's not caring then other DC characters have it bad.

If that wasn't a response to my initial post to Joker, than who was it a response to? You make a post that is very likely a response to me, and now you're trying to make it sound like I responded to you out of nowhere.

So if you don't like something that means there was no passion in it?

Again, you are twisting words, then whining about other people supposedly doing it. You're the last person to talk about people getting into a "tizzy".

I don't see how them making stuff to make money as EVERY studio does shows a lack of passion whatsoever.

Good for you.

Um, no. I responded to Joker and talked about WB lacking passion for the character, and suddenly you jumped in with this:

If that wasn't a response to my initial post to Joker, than who was it a response to? You make a post that is very likely a response to me, and now you're trying to make it sound like I responded to you out of nowhere.

Again, you are twisting words, then whining about other people supposedly doing it. You're the last person to talk about people getting into a "tizzy".

Good for you.

You said the irony therefore implying I was been ironic.

I'm calm as a cucumber you're the one getting your panties in a twist. End of the day I didn't start calling you anything you did.

Good for me indeed :funny:

Anyway moving back to topic because I have no desire to carrying on engaging with you of all people...

Last edited:
So you like a very narrow idea of Superman that isn't really Superman...

Honestly don't most people on this board or lots of the heated discussions wouldn't take place? I always considered myself to have a fairly narrow view of what was my Superman but here I often feel like one of the most accepting guys on variants

Gosh !! Only one film from DCEU in 2018, what will we do ? You mean the release schedule will be like it was in 'the old days' and people might have to wait for a film. Ch*ist, people want the world on a plate these days.... :csad:

It doesn't help when they are announcing more movies than they are releasing.

Cavill isn't the greatest actor nor does he need to be. I think he's capable of warmth and charm. But he's put in a position where it's very difficult to display.

Seeing the guy in interviews he comes across as being very relaxed and friendly. I'm looking forward to him being able to put that into his Superman.

Gosh !! Only one film from DCEU in 2018, what will we do ? You mean the release schedule will be like it was in 'the old days' and people might have to wait for a film. Ch*ist, people want the world on a plate these days.... :csad:

I've said it before, but unfortunately I think the issue is that "It's what Marvel Studios does" people got accustomed to getting "slates" every couple years.

I prefer they take there time and make them wait, so what if they announce movies, that doesnt' mean anything, and doesn't show a lack of planning etc, that you and some other doomsayers constantly try to project, it just means that the work itself is more important than a release date.

Or you know, they are planning to switch out the DCEU for a more BEU.

You said the irony therefore implying I was been ironic.

I'm calm as a cucumber you're the one getting your panties in a twist. End of the day I didn't start calling you anything you did.

Good for me indeed :funny:

Anyway moving back to topic because I have no desire to carrying on engaging with you of all people...

Translation: "The Batman, I can't actually dispute a single thing you've said, so I'm going to move goal posts, pretend I'm calm, pretend you're overreacting, and accuse you of twisting things, even though that's pretty much what I'm doing."

Yeah, its best you move back to topic.

Characters always have quieter periods and if this is a quiet period of for him then I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

It's a show about the Justice league as a team so they're bound to do stuff like that. I don't see why that means he's been relegated as a character. The first episode I saw was him and Wonder Woman fighting that being that absorbed the Parasite and Superman was the most prominent character in that episode. Really think you're making a weird point.

They don't need to rush the sequel they're building a DCEU and until later this year he is so far the only hero in this universe with a solo film.
I understood the quieter period with the previous post. Just didn't think that applied to Batman given even when there's not a big screen adaptation, there are always something animated with him as the lead.

Superman's been relegated to a cameo or rather support role on much of what he currently pops up in.

Translation: "The Batman, I can't actually dispute a single thing you've said, so I'm going to move goal posts, pretend I'm calm, pretend you're overreacting, and accuse you of twisting things, even though that's pretty much what I'm doing."

Yeah, its best you move back to topic.

Think you just described yourself there. As usual you lose your cool with me because you have a problem with me.

And you too!

So, to summarize you guys are discussing over if WB is passionate about superman or not passionate?

I'd say they are passionate, it may not be your version of superman, but they definitely are passionate about him, you could argue they don't have a solid viewpoint on how he is portrayed from your personal opinion, but you can still be passionate.

So, to summarize you guys are discussing over if WB is passionate about superman or not passionate?

I'd say they are passionate, it may not be your version of superman, but they definitely are passionate about him, you could argue they don't have a solid viewpoint on how he is portrayed from your personal opinion, but you can still be passionate.

Yup that's my point people don't like something so they claim the company isn't passionate. It's just inaccurate.

Think you just described yourself there.

Of course you do.

You can still be passionate. Doesn't necessarily mean that they are in this case.

Anyway...

They are passionate about the character. Anyone can see that.

If WB's current treatment of Superman is a passionate one, I'd hate to see how they treat characters they don't care for.

What Studio is truly "passionate" about a franchise because they love the character and not because it's a potential cash cow?

But I will say this. MOS came out in 2013. Almost immediately they announced a sequel, that morphed into BvS. It's 2017. There is no MOS sequel to be released in 2018 and unlikely in 2019. So we are talking about 5-6 years since MOS and there's no official sequel date outside of "they want to do it."

However, from the outside looking in. Superman doesn't seem like a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"