All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I, a person who writes about gender and feminism every day and hasn’t seen enough superhero stuff to be impressed by the mere existence of a female protagonist, am the wrong audience for this film.

Sounds about right.

I honestly never thought I'd love this movie as much as I did. Everything about it is outstanding. What really hit me is how unforgettable this movie is. I am still thinking about it after a busy day at work.

It will be a classic like Superman The Movie.

Let us all Praise Patty Jenkins and everyone who worked on this movie to make it badass. Gadot left me speechless with her range. "Can't act - model" my ass.

If there's any more evidence that some people are just never going to be satisfied it's this article:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...oman_were_as_feminist_as_it_thinks_it_is.html

I just don't get what some people want these days.

The first sign of a critic whose opinion shouldn't matter to CBM fans in particular is when they're more concerned with peripheral ideological/meta-narrative aspects rather than whether or not it does what a good movie is supposed to. If the story makes sense, is technically well executed, is enjoyed by most who see it, has good performances by the cast, and looks well made - that's pretty much all that matters.

That said it's not surprising that many would latch onto the ideological aspect and go "meh" at the entire movie because of that.

Yeah, it's true that some people don't know what they want. This classy reviewer from Vulture, on the other hand, knew exactly what he wanted out of the movie.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/movie-review-wonder-woman-is-a-star-turn-for-gal-gadot.html

While this Wonder Woman is still into ropes (Diana’s lasso both catches bad guys and squeezes the truth out of them), fans might be disappointed that there’s no trace of the comic’s well-documented S&M kinkiness. With a female director, Patty Jenkins, at the helm, Diana isn’t even photographed to elicit slobbers. Slobbering, S&M-oriented American patriots will be even more put out, given that WW is no longer dressed in red, white, and blue but golden-toned for the international — and perhaps these days less American-friendly — ticket buyers.

And yes, he's a RT critic.

Last edited:
It's cool to see actresses like Lupita Nyong'o, Jessica Chastain, Octavia Spencer etc. championing the movie on social media.

Also Lynda Carter's support and enthusiasm for the movie is great.

I'm just personally happy that an iconic character who hadn't received the same kind of 'love' (to use a word) as her male superhero equivalents have over the decades (Batman, Superman etc) is finally having her moment.

And as ecstatic as I am with it's estimated OW there's part of me that wishes it were even bigger.

what a good movie that dc finally delivery but dc should drop all cinematic universe since it's never gonna make sense.WW movie already make another huge contradiction for her minor character development in BvS.

That's pretty much where I'm at. JL is all but a lost cause to me at this point...

It's not as if we're doing so blindly. We know the creative team, are familiar with their past work, and we've seen the trailers. If that's not enough to decide whether or not a film will hold appeal for us, I don't know what is. Now if the reviews come out and are surprisingly positive, then I'll give it a shot. But so far I've seen nothing to suggest to me that film will be worth my money.

If I’m recalling correctly…

Snyder said - well before the release of BvS - that JL would be a rather lighter, less somber movie. Now, Snyder’s notion of “lighter” might be highly suspect. :o But based on the broad strokes of the overall story, we can perhaps agree with him. E.g., Bruce Wayne is now on a redemptive arc (as opposed to a psychotic one :cwink:). And Superman being resurrected is bound to be more uplifting than Superman dying. IOW, the narrative was naturally heading in a different direction anyway.

Plus - JL will provide another dose of Wonder Woman!

^Well I certainly appreciate your optimism. I sincerely hope it is rewarded come November. :up:

Hopefully Justice League will be Wonder Woman 1.5 :o

Revising history to avoid hurting anyone's feelings is a real thing though.

Saw it a 2nd Time Last night, This Time in IMAX 3D (REAL IMAX)! GOD IT WAS GLORIOUS! It's Pure Hollywood Magic! Loved it even more the second time and I now declare it Best DCEU and Top 5 Comic Book movies Ever! Also it rivals TDK for me! The 3D added to the Experience and made it more glorious! I was taking my parents to see this in 2D reg screen theater....but now I'm canceling and taking them to IMAX 3D! The 3D even helped the Spotty CGI and made it Flow better! Fantastic movie

what a good movie that dc finally delivery but dc should drop all cinematic universe since it's never gonna make sense.WW movie already make another huge contradiction for her minor character development in BvS.
Did you ever want the X-Men universe to cease existing since Fox retconned the hell outta everything? No?

Then crawl back under the stone you came from, shrimp.

Man, I am SURROUNDED by people who are near Imax theaters! Closest to me is 2 hours in Tulsa

It's about an hour drive for me, but more than worth it and the extra cost for the IMAX ticket!

tumblr_oqya5ur4gv1vwlruyo1_1280.jpg
Wonder Woman Mondo Poster by Tula Lotay:

tumblr_oqyal8BDIE1qkchcvo1_1280.jpg

Some real awesome images!

A question I have, not SPOILERY is her armor. It was stored in the same building with the shield, the lasso and the sword - so what does it do? Other than look awesome?

Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins were hitting on all cylinders and Chris Pine brought home the timing to what was one of the best origin films to date. Wonder Woman was SOLID on all fronts. Had a blast in the theater. Gadot's range as an actress to channel compassion, kindness, and fierce graciousness was inspiring to see. Very happy for her! She churned out an amazing performance and is the new face of Wonder Woman. A huge win for the DCEU.

Did you ever want the X-Men universe to cease existing since Fox retconned the hell outta everything? No?

Then crawl back under the stone you came from, shrimp.

I think he meant they should stop trying to connect the DC movies in a shared universe. Not to drop DC movies entirely.

EDIT: Though the shared universe exists, and I like that.

A question I have, not SPOILERY is her armor. It was stored in the same building with the shield, the lasso and the sword - so what does it do? Other than look awesome?

I think it is just warrior attire.

Last edited:
Just to give quick thoughts: (MUST SEE IT AGAIN) :

The maturity shown in Wonder Woman's personality throughout the film makes you think back to her role as an established warrior in BvS even more. It makes you realize that Diana, thus far, has the deepest depth as far as characterization throughout her own timeline and that's a great sign for other characters like Superman and Batman still finding their way. In Wonder Woman, Diana morphs into many emotions and by the films end, you could see her shed her naive stubbornness as a Princess and see her grow very rapidly in a man's world where[BLACKOUT] being sheltered as a weapon of Zeus[/BLACKOUT] does little to no favors in a manipulated world of a battle hungry civilization. Diana's place in that narrative really stands out and the character shines from it. The sacrifice of Superman in BvS tugs at the heart even more-so givin' the nature of Diana's relationship with Steve Trevor. I can just imagine what Bruce's solo film will entail that points back to Kal's demise in BvS and how all that plays a role in the emotional spectrum of DC's stable of Trinity. The tie-in's to how these DC characters are molded are subtle but at the same time, connected in mythology and purpose.[BLACKOUT] The reference to the war pic in BvS and the reasoning behind Diana going after it was heartwarming and marvelous. [/BLACKOUT]Wonder Woman sets the stage for great things ahead for the DCEU.

Last edited:
Guys go See it in IMAX 3D if you can it's just Glorious!! Added so much Depth to the Film it blew my mind! Everything from the under water of Themyscira, German bullets leaped off the screen BIG TIME, The Purifying Waters of Themyscira and The Snow Scene was Beautiful in 3D, The Action movements Flowed Flawlessly and Smoothed out the CGI,The Fires and Ares, Dr. Poisons Gas was Depth filled, GOD GO SEE IT IN 3D! It Heightened my Experience the 2nd time even WAY MORE!! I'll be bummed when this is out of IMAX! It's So worth it in 3D

Just to give quick thoughts: (MUST SEE IT AGAIN) :

The maturity shown in Wonder Woman's personality throughout the film makes you think back to her role as an established warrior in BvS even more. It makes you realize that Diana, thus far, has the deepest depth as far as characterization throughout her own timeline and that's a great sign for other characters like Superman and Batman still finding their way. In Wonder Woman, Diana morphs into many emotions and by the films end, you could see her shed her naive stubbornness as a Princess and see her grow very rapidly in a man's world where[BLACKOUT] being sheltered as a weapon of Zeus[/BLACKOUT] does little to no favors in a manipulated world of a battle hungry civilization. Diana's place in that narrative really stands out and the character shines from it. The sacrifice of Superman in BvS tugs at the heart even more-so givin' the nature of Diana's relationship with Steve Trevor. I can just imagine what Bruce's solo film will entail that points back to Kal's demise in BvS and how all that plays a role in the emotional spectrum of DC's stable of Trinity. The tie-in's to how these DC characters are molded are subtle but at the same time, connected in mythology and purpose.[BLACKOUT] The reference to the war pic in BvS and the reasoning behind Diana going after it was heartwarming and marvelous. [/BLACKOUT]Wonder Woman sets the stage for great things ahead for the DCEU.

Yes, this movie shows that these character can grow and evolve, in ways that you don't even expect. That can be done for Superman and Batman.

I looked at my statue of Wonder Woman from BvS today and because of this movie there's suddenly so much more to her lol.

It's great when you think you know a character but that character continues to surprise you. That's what I think Patty achieved with WW in this movie. Respecting WW's legacy but making you not see her in the same way again.

Saw it a 2nd Time Last night, This Time in IMAX 3D (REAL IMAX)! GOD IT WAS GLORIOUS! It's Pure Hollywood Magic! Loved it even more the second time and I now declare it Best DCEU and Top 5 Comic Book movies Ever! Also it rivals TDK for me! The 3D added to the Experience and made it more glorious! I was taking my parents to see this in 2D reg screen theater....but now I'm canceling and taking them to IMAX 3D! The 3D even helped the Spotty CGI and made it Flow better! Fantastic movie

Aw man now I really want to go again right away. But I have to wait a few days.

I saw WW yesterday.

I have had only 2 exposures to Wonder Woman (Giggity): the 2001 Justice League show and the 2009 animated WW film.
I went in with minimal expectations.

I hope Patty Jenkins is contracted for another WW film.
It felt like someone took the best parts of Thor 1 and Cap 1 and melded them together.

Pros:

Color palette. It was weird to see a modern DC film with golden and colorful visuals.

Action.

The acting by the main cast. Crucades was right about 1 thing.
Chris Pine is the MVP of the film imo.
Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen are great too, but the movies emotional core is with Pine.
Gal is good, a step up from Fast Furious and her naivete/innocence is believable.
Shes decent in the action (She inspired Ryu's cr. roundhouse lol)
She is still far from Meryl Streep levels though.

The chemistry between Pine and Gadot is great and one of the more believable romantic couples since Cap and Peggy imo.

The humor is less one liner and more character based.

The feeling of earnestness and hope is prevalent through the films unlike many modern DC films.
It channeled the Richard Donner superman vibe much more than other imitators (ET tu Superman Returns?)

Cons

The villains are thinly characterized and mostly exist to move the story a la Deadpool and some MCU films.

While I was entertained throughout the film, I would have liked at least one more full action scene after the initial Themyscira and the first costumed one.

Overuse of slow mo. While I joke about Zack Snyder overusing it in his films, I feel WW used it a lot more. Tone it down next film please.

Overall: The best DCEU fiilm (though it wasnt a difficult feat)
8.5/10

Just how many actresses playing the lead role reached the acting level of Meryl Streep in their first movie as lead ?

And I get it, looking at the reception previous DC movies got and their RT score, the bar was set pretty low, making a movie that is better then those movies is no big deal. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"