All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie had nice shout out to Edgar Rice Burroughs, who novels were written around the time movie was set (1918)
Yes. I believe this is the first superhero film set in a time before their creation, so it was a nice touch to have a nod to the guy who inspired the first.

I think they could adapt the Paradise Lost episode from Justice League with Felix Faust as the villain. He turned all the Amazons to stone and threatened to keep them that way unless Diana retrieved certain artefacts for him around the world.

This could not only give WW a reason to return to Themyscira but also allow the climax to be set there as well.

Instead of involving the justice league, Diana could go on her mission with just her own little team of adventurers. It would make it even more into an adventure film but could even make it like the 12 labours of Hercules where she's facing different enemies along the way and different obstacles in her quest to retrieve the artefacts. That would allow her to face physical villains other than Faust.

I'm just trying to make sense of this film coinciding with what we heard in BvS. Diana has seemed to built a life for her in Mans World, sure she could come and go but her wanting to come back going by that logic is a tiiinnny bit hard for me to think around. Unless she returns and determines that her Themiscrya just doesn't fulfill her anymore.

That would make sense since we know the Amazons have fought them in the past and Diana stated she has killed being from other worlds.
It would be a perfect reason for Hippolyta sending her daughter out again too. To keep an eye on their actions.

Just got back from my viewing and I am in love with this movie!! For me it was perfect from beginning to end, and that had a lot to do with Gadot as Diana. She was all heart literally from the start!

And to see her progression from black/white idealog to truly understanding the people she was fighting for was so exceptionally done.

The music, the scenes, the interplay between all the characters - I enjoyed it all!

A threat to Themyscira forces Hippolyta to allow Diana's return to the island...

I took the scene where her mother tells her she may not return as being not because she would not be allowed, but because she might be dead..

That was Hippolyta's fear all through the movie, that Diana would die and never come home.

But it's clear merely from the Germans floating in and Steve flying in, that there is no physical barrier stopping anyone - much less a bonafide Goddess.

And the reason why she would return to the world, is that she has taken to heart the very first mission of the Amazons, and that is to defend Zues' creation, Man. Not once did she flag from that.

I'm going to see this again, in IMAX this time and probably another after that too! Even at just short of two and a half hours, I found that it was not nearly enough time!
:ilv:

This is one powerful film! I saw it last night, and I loved every minute of it.
I plan to see it in IMAX next weekend. The cinematography is just absolutely stunning.
I've never been too much into the character of Wonder Woman, but Gal Gadot has me hooked! I couldn't think of anyone better to play as Diana Prince.

Also, I feel like Wonder Woman has the best action sequences out of the DCEU so far.

Just watched the film. I'd say it was pretty good until the last 15 minutes. Diana's dialogue felt cringey and forced, especially when compared to Steve's delivery of pretty much the same lines. It also didn't feel like it really explain Diana's state of mine around the time of BvS. The special effects seemed overly ambitious and the film obviously did not have the budget for some of the effects in the final action scene.

Gal was one of the strongest parts of the film and one of the weakest at the same time. She played the role really well most of the time but her monologues were not well delivered and those lines toward the end I talked about. On the other hand she was great in the lighter scenes. She exudes a warmth that I think must come naturally to her and I enjoyed seeing it in her portrayal of Diana.

For me the irony was a lot of reviewers called this lighter than DOc's other films but I would argue it had way darker plot and material. I think the big difference is that it balanced those scenes with the appropriate amount of levity.It was definitely a nice change of pace from Marvel's films which are mostly levity mixed with a few personal issues and character tension.

I still think MoS is my favorite DCEU film though. This is definitely above Suicide Squad and BvS though. I know for some people that isn't saying much but I enjoyed the extended cut of BvS so it is praise coming from me. I put it above most Marvel films as well. With the exception of the Captaine America films and the first Iron Man.

Just got out. Fantastic experience. Despite me being a negative nancy about the future of the DCEU, this brought on a new wave of optimism in me. Not by the film telling me I have to be (which by the way, certain moments got dangerously close to this), but through sheer earnestness in its characters and message. I came from a packed house and got the sense it was unanimous homerun throughout all the demographics. I used to worry about it being sandwiched from some heavy hitters, but no longer. This film is going to have some beautiful legs.

Sidenote; Gal did her damn thing. I'm still reeling from how genuinely good she was. At best I was expecting a commendable and serviceable job to bringing the script to life. But no, she IS Wonder Woman. Whatever her faults are in line delivery (the opening narration had me worried) are completely mitigated by her screen presence. I think I fell in love with about six times. Her turn in BvS was forgettable for me, but Patty and Gal just did a complete 180 on this one. I humbly take back all the bad things I've said leading up to this film.

It makes me curious just how well she'll be portrayed in JL. Half of me thinks it was Snyder who wasn't fully capturing Gal's charm, but I would also concede it's also a result of us seeing Diana in a far different light (literally) with this film. With us jumping "back" to the present to a Diana who isn't so naive, I wonder if some of that spark will disappear. I hope not.

Could always come out with an Atlantean vs Amazonian war. But I'd prefer that for the third film.

Good news

DBXvtArVoAQ5E_t.jpg

I drove home from the theater with my radio off, and just let the tunes and the feelings from the movie just flow through me.:woot:

One thing though, is that I don't think we'll be seeing this Diana again. In BvS she was more jaded after having the 'shine' knocked off of her beliefs, but I do believe the sweet and warm-heated Diana will continue to show even as this iteration of the naive warrior princess fades away.

One thing though, is that I don't think we'll be seeing this Diana again. In BvS she was more jaded after having the 'shine' knocked off of her beliefs, but I do believe the sweet and warm-heated Diana will continue to show even as this iteration of the naive warrior princess fades away.

I agree. The spark was definitely missing in her in BvS but it's back in the JL trailers. This time, it's characterzied by a matured view of humanity and the world.

I drove home from the theater with my radio off, and just let the tunes and the feelings from the movie just flow through me.:woot:

Yeah. The Diana we see in JL is the Diana who we saw at the end of the film, one who knows mankind has both good and bad. One that is finally coming out of the shadows because of Superman's sacrifice. One that is now ready to be part of a league of heroes.

This is one powerful film! I saw it last night, and I loved every minute of it.
I plan to see it in IMAX next weekend. The cinematography is just absolutely stunning.
I've never been too much into the character of Wonder Woman, but Gal Gadot has me hooked! I couldn't think of anyone better to play as Diana Prince.

Also, I feel like Wonder Woman has the best action sequences out of the DCEU so far.
Man, I am SURROUNDED by people who are near Imax theaters! Closest to me is 2 hours in Tulsa

Man, I am SURROUNDED by people who are near Imax theaters! Closest to me is 2 hours in Tulsa

The true IMAX theatre here in Sydney is closed for an upgrade but there is an IMAX or what they call "LieMax" screen around here so I am probably going to go again to see it there in 3D next week.

I am just really glad about all the great reviews and word of mouth and the opening weekend projections.

Closest to me is just a 45 minute drive.
Which I would have gone there Thursday evening, if I didn't
have to be up bright and early Friday morning.

Awesome. I got polled by CinemaScore for the first time ever today, and this was the grade I gave it. :woot:

Out of curiosity, how do they phrase the question when asking for your opinion?

Out of curiosity, how do they phrase the question when asking for your opinion?
They don't ask the questions themselves, they just give you a little card with a bunch of questions and tabs to tear and fold back and give back to them. The questions are extremely basic: "Your age range" "Your gender" "Would you buy this film on blu-ray/DVD?" "Would you RENT this film on blu-ray/DVD" "What interested you in this film?" "What grade would you give this film?"

EDIT: Found a pic of one of their cards -

BujLKj4CAAASavV.jpg_large_zpswbsu33bc.jpeg

Last edited:
^I normally love Mondo posters, but I'm not a huge fan of that one.

:funny: Sorry. At least I loved the movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"