Comics Amazing Spider-Man: Love it or Leave it?

Well, you've got

Michelle...ongoing, with drunken sex

MJ...ongoing...but just a tease, can't go anywhere (well none if it can!)
..........even though he is MARRIED to her, but can't remember, making it all kinda wrong............

Black Cat....upcoming

Ms. Marvel....upcoiming...

So....when did Pete become the billionaire playboy sexy hip guy?? Is this his character really??

Yeah, can't we go back to the good old days of dating dogs like Gwen? Next thing you know, they'll have him shackin' up with supermodels.

I think I must be missing some sarcasm, but why are you saying Gwen is a "dog"...?

I liked Gwen, and MJ, both, in their time.

Seeing Pete eventually date his "wife" again, would be good, but odd. It'd be regression, since he is already married to her, and already dated her.

Wouldn't it be like deja vu, for him AND us?? A repeat?

HAving a swiss cheesed brained Black Cat isn't as fun as if they we're married still and everyone was aware of their history. That's true tension.

Anyway...i am sure people are going to get tired of pete's girl of the month that goes nowhere eventually with them all. Drunked sex and fake kitchen sex is only bold and new before that has been done too, and what is next to keep it "Fresh", with no progression available to the character here?

Yeah, can't we go back to the good old days of dating dogs like Gwen? Next thing you know, they'll have him shackin' up with supermodels.

:hehe:

It's so true. When you think about it...how much of the 47 years of Spidey history has Peter actually been single? Betty, Gwen, Felicia, Deborah, MJ...

Heck, this is the PERFECT time to whip out a little gem of an image.

Here's a scan from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16 from 1982...

...ready for this??...

...and please, pay no attention to what MJ's saying...

AmazingSpider-ManAnnual16.jpg

Yes,farmie, it was sarcasm. Since every, single one of your comments drips sarcasm, I figured it would be alright for me to indulge.

What I was "sarcasming" was this:

So....when did Pete become the billionaire playboy sexy hip guy??

The answer to which is: 40 years ago, when Jazzy Johnny Romita started drawing him that way. I mean, they even joked about it in the comics every time Flash would get jealous that the girls were fighting over him.

And if being married to a Supermodel/Movie Star isn't living the sexy, hip, playboy life....I don't know what is.

Well, you've got

Michelle...ongoing, with drunken sex

MJ...ongoing...but just a tease, can't go anywhere (well none if it can!)
..........even though he is MARRIED to her, but can't remember, making it all kinda wrong............

Black Cat....upcoming

So....when did Pete become the billionaire playboy sexy hip guy?? Is this his character really??

lol Ms. Marvel. She only seems to be using Simon for sex these days. Though, she might try to attempt sex with Peter Parker, so she could choke him to death, ending his pun personality which annoys her all the time.

Isn't that just "leaping on", but in a more passive-aggressive way? (I wouldn't have said anything, but Dac seems to think we're all "afraid" or somesuch)

No, not really. I read a lot of the posts here. Different opinions, different lengths and viewpoints. I agree with some, disagree with others. But I've never sniped at anyone's post just because they said something I didn't like, or didn't share my viewpoint or whatever. Sometimes I think folks like to respond before understanding the context of what they're responding to. Most of the posters here have good opinions overall, and some have made Hype their private chatroom. Again, I have no problem with it and just skip over whatever I don't want to read. But it would get pretty crazy in here if everyone simply responded to each post, telling people how to post and what to say, how often to say it or get on their case about the content of their posts. The mods would pretty much shut the deal down at that point.

I dunno, everyone eats a bad fish once in awhile.

BTW, there are some nice images of Pete's "swinging days" on Google images. I was surprised, since it seems to contradict the "quiet nerd" image that he had in the same time frame (70s-80s).

Pete worked best when he was the weird-looking Ditko version. All the hot girl friends messed up the story. Romita turned him into a hot, Millie the Model-esque soap star. Big mistake, imho. Even so, MJ was about the worst person he could have married. But, this is just my conception of Pete. Others can, and will, disagree. But if you go back to those early stories, what made Pete interesting is that in a world of billionare playboys, handsome aliens, and international men-about-town, the story of a gawky, unattractive teen upon whom fate (not some weird spider-totem) bestowed an amazing gift/burden set him apart from everything else in comics. Once he became a babe magnet and married a hot model and moved into spiffy digs, he might as well have been named "Bruce" or "Reed" or "Tony" or even "Clark" (the joke was that Clark was a hunk, but didn't know it himself). Success killed Pete long before BND.

See in my opinion, the fact that Peter was an unattractive geek was not what made me relate to the character. It was the simple fact that Peter Parker was a very down-to-earth nice guy. Peter's looks had nothing to do with it. I grew up with the animated series version of Peter Parker and he was a fairly good looking guy. It wasnt till much later that I discovered that Peter used to be an awkward-looking nerd. It doesnt matter that Peter's good looking and gets girls, what distinguishes him from Tony, Reed and Bruce Wayne is that Pete is a down to earth guy with a good heart. Tony Stark may be a nice guy but he's very full of himself, Peter isn't. He's humble, grounded and self-less, thats what makes Peter/Spiderman a lovable character.

I left ASM shortly after Sins Past. I kept up with what was going on by way of scuttlebutt around my Local Comic Book Store. I was incensed at what was planned, and then perpetrated, on Spider Man with OMD/BND. The Obama fist bump was the final straw. I dropped USM shortly after that, removed Marvel Comics from my life (with the exception of ASM #600 which confirmed my disgust) and never looked back.

I will not buy another Marvel comic until 2 things happen:
1. The Brand New Day storyline/status quo is somehow retconned out of existance and the Peter/MJ marriage is restored.
2. Marvel hires a new Editor-in-Chief.

I think the appeal in Peter lies not just his physical appearance, but that he's "real". Basically what you see is what there is. And he isn't conceited or hung up on himself, which makes him even more attractive. That and those spider pheromones! He oughta bottle that stuff...

Spidey-1.jpg

Spidey-2.jpg

Spidey-3.jpg

Spidey-4.jpg

Spidey-5.jpg

Spidey-6.jpg

Spidey-7.jpg

Spidey-8.jpg

Spidey-9.jpg

Spidey-10.jpg

Last edited:
Clonesy: The answer to which is: 40 years ago, when Jazzy Johnny Romita started drawing him that way. I mean, they even joked about it in the comics every time Flash would get jealous that the girls were fighting over him.

And if being married to a Supermodel/Movie Star isn't living the sexy, hip, playboy life....I don't know what is.

haha..i didn't mind the sarcasm..i just wasn't "Getting it"..the "dog" name threw me i guess...lol....i was perplexififed! :woot:

But i see now.

I guess i forget, he was quite the swinger in the olden days! lol

The other thing is, when i think of MJ, i personally don't think of her as some "big time super-model" either. Not at all.

For those complaining that Peter is now a loser and irresponsible, I think that's the point. It shows you just how much MJ meant to Peter and what an impact she had on his life. He's lost without her.

I will not buy another Marvel comic until 2 things happen:
1. The Brand New Day storyline/status quo is somehow retconned out of existance and the Peter/MJ marriage is restored.
2. Marvel hires a new Editor-in-Chief.

Good luck with that. They have stories planned out for the next year and Quesada isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't really read Ms Marvel, but I remember the solicit for that--isn't that, like, a blind date situation? Someone set the two up?

For those complaining that Peter is now a loser and irresponsible, I think that's the point. It shows you just how much MJ meant to Peter and what an impact she had on his life. He's lost without her.

Hmm...I could see that as an explanation for it after a while when either BND is scraped or they go back to about the same status as before. I really doubt that was their intent from the beginning, though.

Here are a few more. Back in the day the editors didn't know whether to permanently hook Pete up with Gwen or MJ. The storylines were all over the place, it was worse than Betty and Veronica. Until Betty turned INTO Veronica. I forgot what the editorial decision to ice Gwen was all about.

Spidey-40.jpg

Spidey-41.jpg

Spidey-42.jpg

Spidey-43.jpg

Spidey-44.jpg

Spidey-45.jpg

Spidey-46.jpg

Spidey-47.jpg

Spidey-48.jpg

Spidey-49.jpg

When Pete was a teenager he went on an adventure in South America and met up with a Spider Worshipping Tribe of the Great Reaver (sound familiar?) Tana and Pete got very close. She didn't want him to go, but understood his home was elsewhere. Would be a great follow up character to reappear. She's like Arrow without the evil and really dug Pete.

Spidey-59.jpg

Spidey-60.jpg

Spidey-61.jpg

Spidey-63.jpg

Spidey-64.jpg

Spidey-64a.jpg

And more from Mr.Hot Thing...

Some of those pictures just have him next to a female character. How does that make him a swinger? And some of them are him getting kissed when he doesn't want it. There are very few of him wanting the kiss or affection. And some of those are repeated with the internal art like the one with Matty from the relaunch, where he's getting a kiss he doesn't want because he's married to MJ. Some he's protecting the woman. He's even getting attacked by the chick in some of them...:whatever:

They're just a bunch of pictures of Spider-Man and a female character. Very few have anything to do with him romantically (the ones that do are either MJ or Gwen!). Talk about cherry picking.

Last edited:
Some of those pictures just have him next to a female character. How does that make him a swinger? And some of them are him getting kissed when he doesn't want it. There are very few of him wanting the kiss or affection. And some of those are repeated with the internal art like the one with Matty from the relaunch, where he's getting a kiss he doesn't want because he's married to MJ. Some he's protecting the woman. He's even getting attacked by the chick in some of them...:whatever:

They're just a bunch of pictures of Spider-Man and a female character. Very few have anything to do with him romantically (the ones that do are either MJ or Gwen!). Talk about cherry picking.

Not really. Some of the stuff was just early flirting that never went anywhere, and some like the girl in the jungle annual are just obscure characters that were plot driven. And they were developing an interest but obviously it couldn't go anywhere (annuals rarely do). The pic with Black Widow was an alternate reality and they were MARRIED. She ate him. I actually have a lot of the issues those pics are from, so they were in actual storylines. The medusa cover is misleading, because she actually saved Spidey from a fall and helped him out. Kitty Pride was a romantic interest. So was Betty at some point, although there isn't as much out there. Peter has a redhead fetish, and was briefly attracted to Ms. Jean Grey. In any case, I have a serious spidey collection so most of these are fairly legit. Red Sonja was an alternate MJ that developed into something too (it was a one shot, though). Spiderman has so many issues over the years even diehards would be surprised.

Breathe deeply and enjoy the ride. We have little choice until all this is retconned, anyway. :cwink:

At this rate I'll be pulling out my "Back in Black" series for nostalgia.

Last thing I got in the mail was the Enforcers Coney Island tripe, before cancelling the sub.....I did however pick up the New ways to die arc at the local bookstore on the off chance a new gobby arc would win me back...no such luck :)

......it's pretty amazing though how much back issue stuff you can pick up and enjoy...no need to be a hater, enjoy what you like and pass over what you don't...there's plenty for everyone....BND simply isn't my cup of tea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"