The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

It's hard to believe that it's all over...

January 19th 2011 was when we found out about Anne's involvement. I was excited, anxious and very apprehensive about it all for obvious reasons. This was a powerful character from my childhood and the main reason for my Michelle love.

But Anne really rocked it. Any flaws (and they were very minor) was completely Nolan's. In fact she was so good, I'd love to see more... More Catwoman and less of Nolan's Cat-burglar. But oh well...

I love the suit, adored the hair and found Anne to be sexy, strong, sensual and captivating in the part. She hasn't knocked Michelle from her perch (Is there even an actress alive who could do that for me?)... but Anne just slinked her way into my heart as my second favourite Catwoman.

Just my final feelings on it after watching the movie again last night.

Yeah, I remember all the anticipation as well throughout 2011 and 2012, when various set pics were released and we were all looking forward to her portrayal. It does seem all over quickly. It would be great to have that anticipation for Anne in the role of Selina again for a spin-off/ prequel.

I still can't believe the first official picture of Anne as Catwoman was that awful picture of her on the bat-pod. That was such a fail when you look at all the other great stills we got of her later on.

Her scene with Bruce at the charity ball is one of my favorite "character interaction" scenes of the trilogy.

I remember how unimpressed I was with the look they gave her just from that first official photo, maybe they did it on purpose to get us riled up.

I'm surprised it was a shot from the climax of the movie.

Yeah, I remember all the anticipation as well throughout 2011 and 2012, when various set pics were released and we were all looking forward to her portrayal. It does seem all over quickly. It would be great to have that anticipation for Anne in the role of Selina again for a spin-off/ prequel.
The hunger for footage and photos was incredible. Us wanting devoted Catwoman trailers, the frustration at the lack of photos and delaying her in the marketing, etc. Sitting down to watch the movie for the first time, seeing the maid and bar scenes for example, my head was racing. The audience was loving it. I just thought, wow, Anne nailed this big time like I knew she would. Just like how Ledger came through the doubt shining.

Just rewatched TDKR.

I like Anne's portrayal more and more.
She's amazing.

Not long until I claim the Hot Toys figure.

Last edited:
I still can't believe the first official picture of Anne as Catwoman was that awful picture of her on the bat-pod. That was such a fail when you look at all the other great stills we got of her later on.

What I don't get is what Anne said after she heard about the negative reaction to the picture;

"What I am happy to say is, if you didn't like the photo, you only see about a tenth of what that suit can do," she promised.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/08/anne-hathaway-catwoman-suit-dark-knight-rises.html

What else could the suit do apart from have those razor heels?

What else could the suit do apart from have those razor heels?
In my opinion, I don’t think the tenth thing is to be taken too literally. I think she just wanted to get across there’s more to the aesthetic than what you see. Don't judge too early kind of thing. In the first still released the goggles were down and the 'looking like ears' thing was only an idea. People didn’t know for sure. People wanted some form of cat motif. The 'it's just a woman wearing black catsuit' arguments were in full flight.

What's ironic is that she only has the goggles down for probably about 15 seconds of total screen time, and it's actually a really cool look when she does.

Look at the thought that was put into The Joker and Bane's reveal... yet Catwoman's was so throwaway.

I know they released it because they would be shooting in plain sight the next day ans it's always better to release a professional still... but even so, it was just a bad photo.

I still think that the character was completely wasted from a marketing standpoint.

I will agree that there was no hype for the character before the movie came out. This was odd and kind of dropping of the ball on Warner Bros.'s part. I mean c'mon, after Batman and Joker, Catwoman is probably the most iconic character in the Bat-mythos. Certainly, the second most iconic Bat-villain. But other than one cool moment in the trailer ("there's a storm coming") no emphasis was put on her.

Part of the reason I think that people were lukewarm about Hathaway in the role was because the marketing did very little to convince otherwise. Then, after the movie was released, the one thing that people all over agreed upon was how great Catwoman is in the movie. Nothing else got that kind of universal praise which was the closest to the response that TDK got (though not nearly as strong).

It shows that it could have stirred more. Then again, the movie did as well as it could given the unfortunate circumstances and did not need more hype. Oh well.

Look at the thought that was put into The Joker and Bane's reveal... yet Catwoman's was so throwaway.

I know they released it because they would be shooting in plain sight the next day ans it's always better to release a professional still... but even so, it was just a bad photo.

I still think that the character was completely wasted from a marketing standpoint.

I agree with this more and more now that time has passed and I think about it. They didn't use her to their advantage at all with the marketing especially to the female film-goers, it was all really lackluster to be honest.

I agree with this more and more now that time has passed and I think about it. They didn't use her to their advantage at all with the marketing especially to the female film-goers, it was all really lackluster to be honest.

Exactly... the character looked and sounded underwhelming in the marketing. Awesome in the movie (as everyone points out), but lacking a strong presence in the actual promotion.

That little poster of Catwoman's heel smashing Batman's batarang was great... and that sexual, playful aspect should have been played up more. The kiss on the poster in shape of the bat symbol was genuis.

Most of what we got was images of Catwoman on the batpod... which just doesn't scream CATWOMAN.

So when is the Hot Toys Catwoman coming out? I haven't seen any personal pictures yet.

I still believe the marketing for the film as a whole was fairly poor, especially compared to the marketing treatment TDK received. TDKR wasn't really hyped up until literally 2 weeks before its release. Letting us know a tad more about catwoman might've helped. That and maybe some viral marketing, but oh well. :dry:

Exactly... the character looked and sounded underwhelming in the marketing. Awesome in the movie (as everyone points out), but lacking a strong presence in the actual promotion.

That little poster of Catwoman's heel smashing Batman's batarang was great... and that sexual, playful aspect should have been played up more. The kiss on the poster in shape of the bat symbol was genuis.

Most of what we got was images of Catwoman on the batpod... which just doesn't scream CATWOMAN.

That's because she never looked like Catwoman. If you dressed Bruce Wayne in swat body armor and a sky mask and called him Batman you'd have just as hard a time marketing him as that character.

I remember not being all that excited about Catwoman in the build up; Bane is who I was excited for. After seeing the film, I enjoyed both equally. Their backstories--Catwoman and Bane--really would have made great viral marketing material.

To be fair, some of the great Catwoman stills (like this http://i.imgur.com/TgDPn.jpg) were filmed later on in the shoot so I understand why we didn't get that first. However, there were still quite a lot to choose from that would've been better than the Spy Kids one. The stllls of Catwoman behind the bars were shot in London so they could've at least showed that first. That or even the shot of her beating up some of the mercenaries when she brought in Bruce Wayne and "saved" Fox.

I still find it sad funny that they rushed to release a pic because they knew pics of her riding the Batpod down the stairs will leak and that didn't even end up being in the movie. :lmao:

To be fair, some of the great Catwoman stills (like this http://i.imgur.com/TgDPn.jpg) were filmed later on in the shoot so I understand why we didn't get that first. However, there were still quite a lot to choose from that would've been better than the Spy Kids one. The stllls of Catwoman behind the bars were shot in London so they could've at least showed that first. That or even the shot of her beating up some of the mercenaries when she brought in Bruce Wayne and "saved" Fox.

I still find it sad funny that they rushed to release a pic because they knew pics of her riding the Batpod down the stairs will leak and that didn't even end up being in the movie. :lmao:

I thought that was Nolan's revenge for the Talia pic.

I hope we get to see that shot someday. :csad:

Heh, I never even thought about that.

As far as aesthetics go, I still don't like her suit in the film, but I really dug Hathaway's performance in it, so that made up for a lot of it.

Maybe with the Justice League movie possibly being pushed back, we'll get a Catwoman spinoff prequel before they reboot Batman. Doubt it, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"