Ant-Man Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by spideymouse, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I doubt we'll see Peg as Ant-Man.

2. CastlesInTheAir

CastlesInTheAir Well-Known Member

I like Peg but I really don't want him to be Ant-Man.

3. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I'd rather Pegg play Egghead, but I'd be fine with him as Pym.

4. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Joel Kinnaman or Joel Edgerton would make a good Scott Lang
    Pretty funny

Pym ironically was the one who defeated Loki in the first issue of the Avengers

5. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

6. TheAQU4M4N

TheAQU4M4N K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

So what is with this rumor about Paul Rudd?

7. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Just a very, very early casting rumor that may not amount to anything. I'd give it a 1 to 5% chance of likelihood right now. Truth be told, I don't expect to start hearing solid casting rumors until at least this summer.

8. TheAQU4M4N

Same, I would think seeing as its still like 2 years away and it is the leading role of a potential new superhero franchise they want it tight lipped however long they want to hold it for.

9. CastlesInTheAir

CastlesInTheAir Well-Known Member

I'm afraid if Rudd gets the job it will just be Paul Rudd as Paul Rudd rather than Pym. He does a good Paul Rudd but I've never seen him playing anyone else.

10. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

there's nothing early about it. and it's not technically a casting rumor. someone saw Paul Rudd hanging out with the Avengers cast at the Oscars and made the comment that he looked like one of the cast. that was very recent. anyways, not that it means anything but the woman currently rumored to be the daughter of Vernon Van Dyne (appearing in Iron Man 3) and Rudd played a couple in that movie 'Dinner for Schmucks.'

11. Ant-manic

but that's what led to the success of the Iron Man movie; Robert Downey jr accentuating his own personality. i've had conversations with people who had no knowledge of the comic book character that thought that Stark was the coolest of the Avengers simply because of his strong personality. so far, Chris Evans is the only one who has tried to adopt a personality considered "faithful" to the comic book character. i guess an argument could be made for Black Widow, as well. but, to me, they both tend to be the less interesting of the cast.

12. DDS

DDS Well-Known Member

What about John Krasinski as Pym?

[​IMG]

13. TheAQU4M4N

Wasn't he rumored for Cap?

14. DDS

DDS Well-Known Member

Yeah he was...and I would say he wasn't one of the worst rumored people, before Evans was finally cast (which ended up being perfect).

15. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

More than just a rumor, he tested and for a little while it looked like a done deal. People were sweating bullets lol

16. DDS

DDS Well-Known Member

Like I said, Chris Evans was great, but I probably would've been alright with Krasinski too as long as he bulked up (severely).

If he was cast and had to change his physique, I would've been curious to see how that would affect his role on The Office. One of the other characters would have to say something, I could just imagine some cheesy dialogue from Andy like, "WOAH, he really is Big Tuna!" Haha

17. cherokeesam

Krasinski has been suggested several times for Pym; I think he'd be darn nigh perfect as Pym. *Or* Lang. Just don't cast him as Janet.

18. Han Solo

Han Solo Scruffy Nerfherder

I still diggin' the idea of Rudd as Pym.

19. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I agree with Castle, I've only ever seen Rudd be Rudd. Though I do like the guy, I don't think he fits what I've seen of Pym.

RDJ emphasising his fast talking, quick witted, slick playboy side isn't the same as Rudd being even more awkwardly goofy.

My pick is still Ewan McGregor.

20. cherokeesam

Ideally, Pym will play a nice contrast to Tony's cocky playboy character. Pym should be played as an idealistic researcher and a dreamer, and more than a bit naive. Somewhat of a hippie philosophy on life and nature. He's likely to view Stark Industries as big bad corporate America at its worst, and death merchants to boot. Pym and Stark should clash at every available opportunity, even moreso than the dichotomy between Tony and Cap (which is more of a "needs of the one" vs. "needs of the many" kind of Kirk vs. Spock philosophical conflict).

In that sense, I can see a lot of the suggestions fitting that Pym persona quite well. Including Rudd, including Krasinski, including McGregor.

21. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Ed Norton could've been a pretty good Pym, I think. I'm not suggesting him. I'm just thinking about it.

22. Ant-manic

23. catintheengine

catintheengine Registered Rhymnicologist

I think there are a lot of really good suggestions in this thread. I can certainly see what people mean about "Rudd playing Rudd", but perhaps we've just not had the opportunity to see him play a role of the proper caliber.

Personally, I think it needs to be an actor who can appropriately balance the good-natured, idealistic Hank, with the dark, seriously troubled Hank.

So, I want you guys to meditate on this briefly - seriously think about some of this actor's more serious work - before you just start hating on me.

Jim Carrey.

Now, before you start throwing things at me, go watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

24. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

[​IMG]

25. catintheengine

catintheengine Registered Rhymnicologist

Touché.

I still think that there is something there as far as Carrey being able to portray both sides of Pym's personality.

I also think that I should probably only post on these forums when I'm sober now though. Otherwise I make casting suggestions that I probably wouldn't openly make otherwise.