Ant-Man Casting Thread

I'm fine with John Slattery as Howard Stark in this. Dominic Cooper is 1940's Howard. John Slattery is older Howard and since the flashbacks take place in the 60's in makes sense that they got him for this movie instead of Cooper.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be Howard either. Like I said, I'm fine with a recast. But your complaint was about consistency and I think they're completely consistent here. I think it's a nice touch to not sever ties with Iron Man 2 on this point. John Slattery is a good actor. Let's see what he does with the role this time.

Actually, it does. Why "age" Atwell to play Peggy, and do they same with Cooper?

It doesn't make sense to do this with one character and not the other.

Going backwards on advancement isn't consistency.

I never mentioned "severing ties with Iron Man 2", just that it is better to move forward.

I can't rate Slattery as an actor as I've never seen him in anything. I'm not judging the guy's career on his few minutes in one movie - that is not sensible. Plenty of actors and actresses have proven to better than certain roles allowed.

Bare in mind, it is going to be nothing more than a few minutes on screen - it is unlikely that Slattery is going to get to "do" anything with the role. It is also unfair on the man to think he will get the opportunity to do so.

This why consistency is important - there is an established Howard Stark now. Use him, just like Atwell.

I would say that before Dominic Cooper took on the role, the character has never really been that much of a person, even in the comics. Sure, we heard and read about him, but until CA: TFA he wasn't someone we cared that much about.

Jim Rhodes was recast for IM2, Banner recast for The Avengers, and Fandral for Thor 2. We don't get footage trying to explain the difference in look between films. Of course, 2 out of 3 of those were fired, but the idea is that they just think of it as a recast but that they were always the same person.

Actually, it does. Why "age" Atwell to play Peggy, and do they same with Cooper?

It doesn't make sense to do this with one character and not the other.

Because one character already had an older actor, the other didn't.

Going backwards on advancement isn't consistency.

The use of "advancement" makes it clear the criticism is you didn't like Slattery's portrayal. I still think that's a bit fair. He effectively did what the script required him to do with the character. There's no indication he couldn't do a more pleasing job if it were required of him.

I don't see why Cooper is an advancement over Slattery. To me, one does a good job of playing young, roguish Howard Stark, the other does a good job of playing a more mature, family and businessman Howard Stark.

Don't get me wrong, if it's a recast, that's fine with me. I like Cooper's portrayal a lot. But a recast simply isn't "more consistent" than using the same actor for older Stark as they used before.

Honestly, we're going in circles in this discussion and I don't really have strong enough feelings to keep going (using either is fine with me). Let's just agree that we disagree and move on.

I would say that before Dominic Cooper took on the role, the character has never really been that much of a person, even in the comics. Sure, we heard and read about him, but until CA: TFA he wasn't someone we cared that much about.

Jim Rhodes was recast for IM2, Banner recast for The Avengers, and Fandral for Thor 2. We don't get footage trying to explain the difference in look between films. Of course, 2 out of 3 of those were fired, but the idea is that they just think of it as a recast but that they were always the same person.

Were they "fired"? I think it is more complicated than that.

However, that is is a little different - the roles have been completely recast and along with them a different take on the characters.

Howard Stark has not been recast - Cooper is even an important part of the latest TV series in the continuity.

John_Slattery_Howard_Stark.jpg

captainamerica21.jpg

Slattery's Stark looks more smarmy. Cooper's looks a little more...I guess idealistic.

Isn't he supposed to get more like that in his older age? Hence being so distant from Tony

Young Howard seems like the carefree party boy genius his son Tony is but I guess he matures into a more serious responsible man we see of Slattery in his brief scenes in IM2.

Young Howard seems like the carefree party boy genius his son Tony is but I guess he matures into a more serious responsible man we see of Slattery in his brief scenes in IM2.

To be fair, the Slattery scene Howard was sort of playing a part. It was scripted promo for his own things. And the part for Tony was kind of dire but so was his brisk exit in Agent Carter

I'm still getting a vibe that Michael Pena's character Luis will betray Lang

Ant_Man_Trailer_1_Photo_Michael_Pena_1024x552.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"