Ant-Man Casting Thread

If his age, love interest and "status as a founding Avenger" are what define him as a character for you, then he can't be a very interesting character...

To me Pym is defined by his constant failures, despite his generally good intentions. We'll see if that translates

Last edited:
If his age, love interest and "status as a founding Avenger" are what define him as a character for you, then he can't be a very interesting character...

To me Pym is defined by his constant failures, despite his generally good intentions. We'll see if that translates

That's kinda true.

Who said it's going to be in the 60's?

Edgar Wright did.

Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of "Tales to Astonish" mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it's like an interesting thing, like the "Marvel Premiere" one that I read which is Scott Lang's origin, it's very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on.

------ Edgar Wright on Ant-Man

Following AoU, Ant-Man coming out a few months later could show Michael Douglas as an embittered former hero, coming to grips with the consequences of his science. When he sees robberies being committed with his Pym Particles, he decides "no more" and sets out to end it. He finds Lang and sees heroism in him, ultimately creating a nice story of redemption and passing the torch.

It could be cool.

That's a good synopsis, I'd look forward to watching that film.

I'm really hoping that they chose Douglas for the part because he could go balls out with Pym if they write him like this.

So we're gonna have two Pym's? I'm assuming Pym is going to be young in the 60's at least, and Michael Douglas will be the Pym we'll get in the present.

Unless they de-age Douglas for the 60s scenes. But then I don't see him doing action all that convincingly in his condition at the moment. He won't look like a young man jumping about and fighting. He'll look like a 70-year old man doing that.

Maybe if they have some plotline about acquiring the Infinity Gems, Pym might be seen romancing the stone from Ophelia Lovibond.

I wouldn't worry too much about action scenes. Stunt doubles, camera tricks and cgi work wonders.

Unless they de-age Douglas for the 60s scenes. But then I don't see him doing action all that convincingly in his condition at the moment. He won't look like a young man jumping about and fighting. He'll look like a 70-year old man doing that.

Maybe if they have some plotline about acquiring the Infinity Gems, Pym might be seen romancing the stone from Ophelia Lovibond.

they said machiavellian. maybe Pym steers Lang into stealing one of the infinity gems from SHIELD.

as an aside, i'm betting that Wright wanted Michael Douglas for this way way back when this movie was still an idea.

Last edited:
Perhaps the MCU connection now is that Pym once worked for Stark Industries in it's early days.

in the cartoon, Scott worked for Stark Industries prior to being imprisoned. i'd believe Pym being one of the earlier big wigs of SHIELD, though. :shrugs:

I like the idea of the 60s-70s setting...

but, the main thing I'd question about it is, if this tech was created in the 60s, why hasn't it been further advanced or utilized (it's one thing to believe that Pym's tech is advance enough that no one else could copy it) but, if it's 30-40 year old tech, you think others would have been ably to figure it out been now

I'm sure SHIELD at some point reprimanded the tech.

If Pym puts the moves on Pepper Potts, she could shoot him again. Of course, he'll probably hire Viggo Mortensen to kill her off.

Why shoot him, when she can give him a just-hot-enough-to-burn slap to the face? :word:

I like the idea of the 60s-70s setting...

but, the main thing I'd question about it is, if this tech was created in the 60s, why hasn't it been further advanced or utilized (it's one thing to believe that Pym's tech is advance enough that no one else could copy it) but, if it's 30-40 year old tech, you think others would have been ably to figure it out been now

because Pym is a recluse with bipolar illness. i doubt that he agree to have his tech sold at Wal-Mart. people would have to get ahold of his technology to advance or copy it.

I'm sure SHIELD at some point reprimanded the tech.

"Stupid lazy Pym Particles! Why can't you get a job like all the other scientific breakthroughs? You're a disappointment to your family and a disgrace to science!"

i think Pym's too smart to have had his stuff taken by SHIELD. he probably would have tried to stay off their radar. there are sooo many cool things they could do with this; now that Pym is older. maybe all superheroes acted outside of the public's knowledge, in his day; "anti-iron men." Pym could have been part of all sorts of shady stuff; especially during the Cold War.

hey, i wonder if Fassbender has any plans post-Magneto. he could make a great retro-Ant-man.

Perhaps Janet won't be his love interest in this movie. She is a good enough character to be interesting without having to be arm candy. Heck, she doesn't even need to be Pym's love interest for him to want to give her powers. Maybe she's his protégé/confidant for example, or maybe she's related to him in some way. There are other ways to do this without the two having to be a couple.

i think Pym's too smart to have had his stuff taken by SHIELD. he probably would have tried to stay off their radar. there are sooo many cool things they could do with this; now that Pym is older. maybe all superheroes acted outside of the public's knowledge, in his day; "anti-iron men." Pym could have been part of all sorts of shady stuff; especially during the Cold War.

hey, i wonder if Fassbender has any plans post-Magneto. he could make a great retro-Ant-man.
There's a big rumor, from a pretty reliable source, that Fassbender is up for a role in the new Star Wars movie. So he might be busy for the foreseeable future.

While I'm a little bummed that we probably won't be seeing Pym fighting alongside the Avengers in A3, I can't help but be excited about Douglas' casting. Now, I think my main question is: who'll play a young Pym?

We'll obviously get to see a decent chunk of Pym as an active (if undercover) superhero in the 60's before he gets disillusioned (possibly by SHIELD's antics?) and hangs up the suit et al. Could the Jamie Bell rumors be accurate after all?

While I'm a little bummed that we probably won't be seeing Pym fighting alongside the Avengers in A3, I can't help but be excited about Douglas' casting. Now, I think my main question is: who'll play a young Pym?

We'll obviously get to see a decent chunk of Pym as an active (if undercover) superhero in the 60's before he gets disillusioned (possibly by SHIELD's antics?) and hangs up the suit et al. Could the Jamie Bell rumors be accurate after all?
Oh man, this is too much for me to handle. I'm about to faint of excitement :woot:

Even if Pym isn't the villain, I can see that he might not survive the events of Ant-Man if he and Lang team up. Pym might end up dying valiantly in the final battle and, as a last act of heroism, passes on the mantle to Lang, telling him that he is Ant-Man now, and to use the costume well and for noble means.
That sounds like it would have suited Sean Bean more :)

Wait till you guys hear word that Michael Cera is young Hank...

Good call on Jamie Bell as Young Hank Pym. :up:

But dear god, people's heads are going to explode when they find out they have even more Ant-Men they can ***** about.

Good call on Jamie Bell as Young Hank Pym. :up:

But dear god, people's heads are going to explode when they find out they have even more Ant-Men they can ***** about.
Wait till they announce O'Grady's in the mix as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"