Ant-Man Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by spideymouse, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Chewy REDACTED

If his age, love interest and "status as a founding Avenger" are what define him as a character for you, then he can't be a very interesting character...

To me Pym is defined by his constant failures, despite his generally good intentions. We'll see if that translates

#876 Chewy, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. TayDee Registered

That's kinda true.

3. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Edgar Wright did.

4. Jammat Registered

That's a good synopsis, I'd look forward to watching that film.

5. TayDee Registered

So we're gonna have two Pym's? I'm assuming Pym is going to be young in the 60's at least, and Michael Douglas will be the Pym we'll get in the present.

6. Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

I'm really hoping that they chose Douglas for the part because he could go balls out with Pym if they write him like this.

7. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Unless they de-age Douglas for the 60s scenes. But then I don't see him doing action all that convincingly in his condition at the moment. He won't look like a young man jumping about and fighting. He'll look like a 70-year old man doing that.

Maybe if they have some plotline about acquiring the Infinity Gems, Pym might be seen romancing the stone from Ophelia Lovibond.

8. Whiskey Tango Registered

I wouldn't worry too much about action scenes. Stunt doubles, camera tricks and cgi work wonders.

9. Ant-manic Registered

they said machiavellian. maybe Pym steers Lang into stealing one of the infinity gems from SHIELD.

as an aside, i'm betting that Wright wanted Michael Douglas for this way way back when this movie was still an idea.

#884 Ant-manic, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  10. Ant-manic Registered

in the cartoon, Scott worked for Stark Industries prior to being imprisoned. i'd believe Pym being one of the earlier big wigs of SHIELD, though. :shrugs:

11. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I like the idea of the 60s-70s setting...

but, the main thing I'd question about it is, if this tech was created in the 60s, why hasn't it been further advanced or utilized (it's one thing to believe that Pym's tech is advance enough that no one else could copy it) but, if it's 30-40 year old tech, you think others would have been ably to figure it out been now

12. Majik1387 Registered

I'm sure SHIELD at some point reprimanded the tech.

13. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Why shoot him, when she can give him a just-hot-enough-to-burn slap to the face? :word:

14. Ant-manic Registered

because Pym is a recluse with bipolar illness. i doubt that he agree to have his tech sold at Wal-Mart. people would have to get ahold of his technology to advance or copy it.

15. Whiskey Tango Registered

"Stupid lazy Pym Particles! Why can't you get a job like all the other scientific breakthroughs? You're a disappointment to your family and a disgrace to science!"

16. Ant-manic Registered

i think Pym's too smart to have had his stuff taken by SHIELD. he probably would have tried to stay off their radar. there are sooo many cool things they could do with this; now that Pym is older. maybe all superheroes acted outside of the public's knowledge, in his day; "anti-iron men." Pym could have been part of all sorts of shady stuff; especially during the Cold War.

hey, i wonder if Fassbender has any plans post-Magneto. he could make a great retro-Ant-man.

17. Loki882 Registered

Perhaps Janet won't be his love interest in this movie. She is a good enough character to be interesting without having to be arm candy. Heck, she doesn't even need to be Pym's love interest for him to want to give her powers. Maybe she's his protégé/confidant for example, or maybe she's related to him in some way. There are other ways to do this without the two having to be a couple.

18. Loki882 Registered

There's a big rumor, from a pretty reliable source, that Fassbender is up for a role in the new Star Wars movie. So he might be busy for the foreseeable future.

19. fixxxer ...goes to 11

While I'm a little bummed that we probably won't be seeing Pym fighting alongside the Avengers in A3, I can't help but be excited about Douglas' casting. Now, I think my main question is: who'll play a young Pym?

We'll obviously get to see a decent chunk of Pym as an active (if undercover) superhero in the 60's before he gets disillusioned (possibly by SHIELD's antics?) and hangs up the suit et al. Could the Jamie Bell rumors be accurate after all?

20. Airwings Waves of air

Oh man, this is too much for me to handle. I'm about to faint of excitement :woot:

21. Airwings Waves of air

That sounds like it would have suited Sean Bean more :)

22. Gr0oT I AM GROOT

Wait till you guys hear word that Michael Cera is young Hank...

23. Six Beast-mode

Speaking of Sean Bean, I think its time he joins the MCU in whatever role possible.

24. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Good call on Jamie Bell as Young Hank Pym. :up:

But dear god, people's heads are going to explode when they find out they have even more Ant-Men they can ***** about.

25. fixxxer ...goes to 11

Wait till they announce O'Grady's in the mix as well. :)