Aquaman Spoilers Thread (just in case ;) - please don’t enter if you don’t want to be spoiled)

Man when I tell you this film was bananas.... “I’m rooting for everyone BLACK Manta!” Lol they definitely opened up the world a lot more, for instance the small but relevent scene where they show Manta’s team stole a pro type crafter. That lil Easter egg really sent me up lol looks like the kryptonian technology is advancing ours. I will say this tho as a negative, for the sequel, they need stronger writers like seriously. This really showed me that Geoff Johns needs to just be a consultant and not a writer of any sort. He brought his CW TV writing skills over to the film world and it won’t fly. The parts that didn’t work, screamed Geoff Johns.

I actually think it’s crazy how much they got in one film. It didn’t feel overstuffed or rushed to me either.

What I really loved and appreciated about this movie is Wan made it as if this was going to be the first and last Aquaman movie. I hear some people saying he put too much into but I couldn't disagree more. This felt like a full standalone epic movie and that's my favorite kind of movie. I am so SICK and TIRED of all of these franchise films trying to chase Marvel's coattails in the sense that they design these movies as "installments" rather than MOVIES. More often than not these origin films just scratch the surface of the character and then they're like "don't worry, we'll give you what you REALLY wanted in the sequel! Promise!" (coughcoughDrStrangecoughcough). Nah, F That, man. Give me what I really want to see NOW. Put all your best cards on the table, go all out and then if we the audience decide we want to see more, then it's your job to figure out how to top yourself. That's what Wan did, he said "F that" and made a big, bad Aquaman epic movie, he wasn't concerned about holding back and saving stuff for a sequel that may or may never come. I feel like another director would've ended this movie with Arthur getting his suit at the waterfall at the very and have him proclaim he's AQUAMAN and then roll credits making us wait 'til the sequel to see him in action in it. Nah, not Wan, he realized that you CANNOT have an Aquaman movie withut Arthur kicking ass in his classic costume at the end. Movies really need to get back to that structure and not the "installment" structure.

Anyway, just my opinion. God, this movie was great. Oh, one more thing, Aquaman riding that big ass Kaiju thingy at the end is THE comic book moment of 2018. I can see why the Chinese are in love with this.

Man when I tell you this film was bananas.... “I’m rooting for everyone BLACK Manta!” Lol they definitely opened up the world a lot more, for instance the small but relevent scene where they show Manta’s team stole a pro type crafter. That lil Easter egg really sent me up lol looks like the kryptonian technology is advancing ours. I will say this tho as a negative, for the sequel, they need stronger writers like seriously. This really showed me that Geoff Johns needs to just be a consultant and not a writer of any sort. He brought his CW TV writing skills over to the film world and it won’t fly. The parts that didn’t work, screamed Geoff Johns.

John's didn't write this. Him and Wan came up with the story but the script was written by other people. People need to stop blaming Geoff Johns

I appreciated the mention of Steppenwolf early in the film but that sort of thing was all that was needed to connect it to the previous movies.

I agree too that he made this as if it's the last Aquaman film, I don't think it felt overstuffed as a result either.

You eat a beef burger while watching it and it'd taste like a cheese burger. I love it!
Cheese maybe some people's gripe but the movie is self aware of that and is soaking itself with cheese fondue.

Theater was packing, I got far right seating but had a good time. Audience responded well.

Now, spoilers beware!

I think everyone doing a good job, I worried because of I was hearing that acting aren't good but perhaps that tempered my expectations.
But the weakest actor is the teenage Arthur, both kid actors actually pretty good, love the older kid's sense of wonder.

Momoa is proven leading man now.
His comedic timing actually lands, loved his reactions during chase scene. Being cool is in his blood. He's cocky, he's humbled and has vulnerable moments.

Heard is snarky but awesome, they played each other well. Nice chemistry, not as strong as Gal-Chris but nice nonetheless. Being not a fan of romance in movies actually thought that Atlanna-Tom story is very sweet.

Arthur can brags to the Trinity, Flash, Cyborg and Captain Marvel that his biological parents are alive, well and complete.

Patrick Wilson hamed it all the way and I loved it. Some of his line deliveries are so cheesy, so dramatic, and if I'm not at a cinema, the 'Call me Ocean Master' part worth of personal standing applause. It's cheesy, cliche yet he seems believe in it and very serious.
I get it why some reviews described his performance as 'earnest'. That's a way to say it.
Also Patrick Wilson:
"AAAAAHH!"
"AAAAAAARGGHH!!"
"AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"

Yahya is gooood. Producer said his audition was a slam dunk and I can see why. He has screen presence, got 'hero's revenge' arc and displays his brain and brawn in awesome manner. Even I didn't mind Depeche Mode remix when he was on screen.
Both villains have understandable motives. And both are still alive, yaay!

Kidman, Morrison, Lungren, Dafoe didn't have too many screen time but are all awesome. Holy screen presence, man.

He's Dafriend now, but Dafoe's smiles still could make you 'suspicious of his true motive' throughout the movie.
Who knew his trident twirling tricks are that formidable? That move fits Aquaman. Bizzare, can't be taken seriously but actually works.

Now I've seen the famous bongo octopus, now (s)he's a scene stealer in a way that guitar flamethrower guy in Mad Max: Fury Road.
Pleasantly surprised that Orm's mask actually expressive.
Djimon Hounsou actually has less than 2 minutes time, eh. Great voice and makeup though.
I can't tell Karathen is Julie Andrews if don't know beforehand. Her distorted voice is good too.

Speaking about makeup, I actually didn't thought of Mera's obvious makeup much. Maybe because it's a CBM, although her makeup isn't as subtle as Gal's in WW.
I got really distracted and questions Emma Stone's heavy eye makeup at Zombieland more.

Sounds of sharks' lasers pew pew pew are still ringing in my ears.
Pitbull part isn't annoying, haha. Toto's Africa isn't famous in my country so for most audiences it's just sudden bubbly song I guess.
Trench part is brilliant.

Forgot to add, fighter statistics at ring of fire was hilarious. How they Atlanteans even got the 'drunk' part. :funny:
And Arthur's final shot is people's future avatars.

Score wise, it's pretty good. Heavy with leitmotif and we got 2 leitmotives for Arthur, both are great. Guitar-ish riff twangs and triumph heroic part.
Hope it reoccurs in the future.

Aquaman is awesome, good ol' adventure movie with sprinkles of horror, kaiju, Jurassic Park etc.
Keep James Wan, makes him sign for future DC projects.

8,5 / 10

Last edited:
While you are correct...that scene still made me smile like a 4 year old! I mean one thing people kept saying was they wanted to see Arthur Ride some Cthulu type beast...AND HE FLIPPING DID IT!

That scene made me giddy- second only to Wonder Woman entering No Mans Land as far as superhero arrivals go.

If you didnt like the writing you probably should direct your anger at Will Beall he was most likely behind the stuff you didnt like. Here are the official credits:

David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick ... (screenplay by) and
Will Beall ... (screenplay by)

Geoff Johns ... (story by) &
James Wan ... (story by) and
Will Beall ... (story by)

Johns helped craft the story plus he created The Trench. That is why he gets "story by" credit. Plus Johns doesnt write for the CW anyways...

What I really loved and appreciated about this movie is Wan made it as if this was going to be the first and last Aquaman movie. I hear some people saying he put too much into but I couldn't disagree more. This felt like a full standalone epic movie and that's my favorite kind of movie. I am so SICK and TIRED of all of these franchise films trying to chase Marvel's coattails in the sense that they design these movies as "installments" rather than MOVIES. More often than not these origin films just scratch the surface of the character and then they're like "don't worry, we'll give you what you REALLY wanted in the sequel! Promise!" (coughcoughDrStrangecoughcough). Nah, F That, man. Give me what I really want to see NOW. Put all your best cards on the table, go all out and then if we the audience decide we want to see more, then it's your job to figure out how to top yourself. That's what Wan did, he said "F that" and made a big, bad Aquaman epic movie, he wasn't concerned about holding back and saving stuff for a sequel that may or may never come. I feel like another director would've ended this movie with Arthur getting his suit at the waterfall at the very and have him proclaim he's AQUAMAN and then roll credits making us wait 'til the sequel to see him in action in it. Nah, not Wan, he realized that you CANNOT have an Aquaman movie withut Arthur kicking ass in his classic costume at the end. Movies really need to get back to that structure and not the "installment" structure.

Anyway, just my opinion. God, this movie was great. Oh, one more thing, Aquaman riding that big ass Kaiju thingy at the end is THE comic book moment of 2018. I can see why the Chinese are in love with this.

EXACTLY! That has been an epidemic for years now. Every first film is just a prologue to the next film...well when I was 10 and movies cost $4 and my parents paid I could get into that. Nowadays, if I am spending 2+ hours in a film I better get the complete story. Every director should make the film like it is the only chance they will have to look at this world and go for gold. Sure that might put them behind the 8 ball should a sequel be needed but if you do it right there are plenty of plot threads open to you.

Wan definitely went that route. Aquaman 2 was never a guarantee so he said "SCREW IT" and just turned it up to 11. I can see why some critics might hate that...I can see why some fans would too but as someone who is discerning with my movie choices I always prefer that.

I loved it! There were so many scenes that were straight out of the comic book in the new 52 and I was so impressed. Amber was awesome as Mera, which was my biggest concern. Her chemistry with Arthur was amazing and was on par with Steve and Diana's from WW. I'm definitely going to see it again!

The movie was awesome. The theme they used around black manta and orm sounded the same, but was perfection. Loved the last 20 minutes! Arthur fully becoming king and riding the damn sea monster. He came back so much more powerful and I can’t wait to see him with the justice league again, now that he is fully realized. Some of the songs were odd.. don’t know why people on here keep calling them hip hop...they were not. The most hip hop song was the Africa remake by Pitbull. But the actual themed score was awesome. The final battle was beautifully shot and I actually loved all the color. Like when Arthur figures out he can see in the dark. DC is back baby! 8.5/10

I love that several JL members already showed proficiency to speak multiple languages. It'll be easy for Cyborg, let's see if Flash and Captain Marvel would have it too.

I love that several JL members already showed proficiency to speak multiple languages. It'll be easy for Cyborg, let's see if Flash and Captain Marvel would have it too.

I saw one video in twitter where Amber Heard is talking with someone in "sing lenguage" that was cool

Its good, for the most part, us Aquaman fanatics just wanted more, that's all.

What did you want to see? I felt like they gave us soooo much. I'd probably cut some of it and expand on Mera/Orm, the Xebel clan.

Did the octopus play the war drums because Atlanteans controlled or "told" him to like the Ant in the Ant-Man and the Wasp tag, or are sea life in this world capable of such a thing on their own?

What did you want to see? I felt like they gave us soooo much. I'd probably cut some of it and expand on Mera/Orm, the Xebel clan.

I think he meant out of the RT score. We were hoping for a high score from them. But whatever, this movie rocked and its gonna make a lot of money and thats all that matters.

Did the octopus play the war drums because Atlanteans controlled or "told" him to like the Ant in the Ant-Man and the Wasp tag, or are sea life in this world capable of such a thing on their own?

He did it because that is what he is trained to do. Well I am guessing no one is shown to be in control :)

He did it because that is what he is trained to do. Well I am guessing no one is shown to be in control :)

Thanks. I've been obsessing about that since I heard about it. I know Aquaman can talk/control to sea life, so I was wrapping my brain if that's what was happening or if the sea life were doing it on their own control. But the trained to do so scenario definitely makes the most sense and is a bit of both.

OMG I did not see the MOVIE!! I don't want to be in this thread at all!!!:eek::eek::eek: That was in response to @jnmx2000 when he said
I haven't seen the critics scores yet but if they aren't good I'd say I really disagree with them on this one.

I was trying to say to him that the critic score is good for the most part and that we who participate in the Aquaman thread just wanted a higher one. I have not seen the movie yet guys please note lol!

it would've been nice to have the vistas of Atlantis linger for longer

was getting some minor blade runner vibes when they entered atlantis

I saw the movie last night.

Now that was Awesome. Last movie I had so much fun watching was Deadpool 2. Mamoa was fantastic, I love that he kept it simple and earnest, and there were some real nice moments for him acting wise, particularly as he was about to take that trident. I like Aquabro, he is a simple and honest guy, knows what he fights for, no bulls**t about him. Loved that at no point was he "I am the king, I deserve it", to the end he just did what he thought was right and necessary. And I applaud their decision at the start of the movie to have him not save Black Manta and his dad - the law of the sea and all. He was born to play Aquaman. I do have to say, visually, I prefer Orum's final outfit then Arthurt's. I know it's CB accurate, but the gold-green looks kinda tacky compered to that cool silver-blue combo that Ocean Master wore at the end, mask and all.

Film was just a visual delight. Atlantis, the marine life, Sicily, the Sahara, DC version of Savage Land, all was breathtaking. This thing could have been even more nonsensical then it was in some instances, but it is so, so, so beautiful. Those white manta ship were gorgeous. Also, Mera has like the coolest looking power ever, that hydrokinesis was amazing.

The start, or the prologue was the weakest part of the movie to me, I was so distracted by the facial CGI-ing of Kidman and Morrison, it wasn't grabbing me. But after that, it was a really smooth ride - the editing of the movie was excellent. There were some great little moments, the Pinocchio joke, the selfie party at the pub, ...

I generally have zero opinion of Amber Heard, but she was compelling here and really breathtaking in some scenes. The girl was like a grown up Ariel. After seeing this, there is no excuse not to do the live action Little Mermaid. In the trailers, her dad, Dolph kinda looked stupid, but I really liked him as well - love that he wasn't fooled by Orum's little plan. Out of everyone, I found the Black Manta to be the weakest link. I wasn't all that compelled by him, unlike with Orum. I mean, the man is right - look at all the trash and warships that tidal wave brought out. He has a point.

I mean, this movie is ridiculous, but who cares. Like a DC version of Thor Ragnarok. Like, if they can swim like that, why do they need water ships, why can some Atlantians breath air and others can't, ...

Anyway, I really loved it. It was consistent, fun, compelling, kept my attention, beautiful to look at. Now I want James Wan to direct squeals to The Meg - some of the scenes in here were like live action come to life action stuff I read in those godawful Megalodon novels.

Thanks. I've been obsessing about that since I heard about it. I know Aquaman can talk/control to sea life, so I was wrapping my brain if that's what was happening or if the sea life were doing it on their own control. But the trained to do so scenario definitely makes the most sense and is a bit of both.
Kinda like a smart parrot trained to count from one to ten and getting a reward after. I assume the octopus is their version of that.

So one thing that kinda baffled me, story-wise, was when Orm reveals to Vulko that he's known all along that he had been betraying him and training Arthur all these years to dethrone him....why is he just choosing THEN to confront him about it and stop him? Why didnt Orm stop Vulko a long time ago if he had known all along but instead kept him by his side?

So one thing that kinda baffled me, story-wise, was when Orm reveals to Vulko that he's known all along that he had been betraying him and training Arthur all these years to dethrone him....why is he just choosing THEN to confront him about it and stop him? Why didnt Orm stop Vulko a long time ago if he had known all along but instead kept him by his side?

Keep you friends close and your enemies closer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"