Aquaman Spoilers Thread (just in case ;) - please don’t enter if you don’t want to be spoiled)

Can Arthur Curry / Aquaman reclaim his birthright and can DC create a film that is epic and entertaining?

PRAISE : Applause to the entire cast which includes :Jason Momoa,Amber Heard,Willem Dafoe
Patrick Wilson,Dolph Lundgren, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Nicole Kidman.
I can tell when actors are having a good time with their roles and are dedicated to providing audiences with something highly entertaining.
This is a origin story that is tied in with a present day story that seamlessly shifts through both.
I felt immersed in this film and was completely pulled into it,the CGI and SFX worked 85% of the time.
Director James Wan knew exactly what he was doing when putting this film together.Immersing the audience in this world of wonders and coupling it with what was in the minds eye of Jules Verne.
The action sequences are hard hitting and enthralling.I loved that Wan was able to take everything that was SuperFriends cheesy about Aquaman and make it epic !!
Oh and cool cameo voice work !!

PROBLEMS:The facial CGI was definitely off at times making some of the characters look like talking paintings.There are some predictable turns in the script.Some cheesy dialogue.I had hoped there would have been more solid bonding between a couple of the characters

To DC/WB this is a step in the right direction.I hope they hold on to Wan and the entire cast for the inevitable sequels

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Did the octopus play the war drums because Atlanteans controlled or "told" him to like the Ant in the Ant-Man and the Wasp tag, or are sea life in this world capable of such a thing on their own?

If I were an octopus and I saw Jason I'd probably start banging the drum in front of me too

*leaves thread again to avoid spoilers*

That octopus got one of the biggest reactions at my theater. It was another Little Mermaid moment for me.

I assumed that Arthur is the only Atlantean who can actually talk and understand the fish/marine life - just like king Atlan long ago.

I don't know who looked cooler - Arthur on that sea-horse, Orm on his prehistoric water reptile or Mera coming in on an Orca.

Last edited:
The best scene for Jason acting wise was when he was trying to get the trident. That scene was actually well done.

So one thing that kinda baffled me, story-wise, was when Orm reveals to Vulko that he's known all along that he had been betraying him and training Arthur all these years to dethrone him....why is he just choosing THEN to confront him about it and stop him? Why didnt Orm stop Vulko a long time ago if he had known all along but instead kept him by his side?

He needed Vulko's help to get his plan in place. Without Vulko he probably never has any chance to get Nereus on his side or any chance to claim the title of Ocean Master. He had no reason to take Vulko down until Jason came to claim the throne anyways. If he does it at the wrong time Atlantis may never give him the support he needs either.

Vulko had been a trusted adviser to Queen Atlanna...you need more than rumor and supposition especially since there had been no real proof a brother even existed just stories.

That octopus got one of the biggest reactions at my theater. It was another Little Mermaid moment for me.

I assumed that Arthur is the only Atlantean who can actually talk and understand the fish/marine life - just like king Atlan long ago.

I don't know who looked cooler - Arthur on that sea-horse, Orm on his prehistoric water reptile or Mera coming in on an Orca.

The Octopus got a laugh in our theater, but the video game cards where it labelled Arthur as "Halbreed" got a louder one! That whole scene was sooooooooooooooo much fun :)

He needed Vulko's help to get his plan in place. Without Vulko he probably never has any chance to get Nereus on his side or any chance to claim the title of Ocean Master. He had no reason to take Vulko down until Jason came to claim the throne anyways. If he does it at the wrong time Atlantis may never give him the support he needs either.

Vulko had been a trusted adviser to Queen Atlanna...you need more than rumor and supposition especially since there had been no real proof a brother even existed just stories.

Ah ok, works for me. :up:

I'd read something about "comically melodramatic moments", but the only one that stood out for me was when Black Manta runs towards (or away from?) his father in slo-mo just before he dies. My biggest complain would have to be their use of Willem Dafoe/Vulko. Even for a superhero film where he's not the lead and is just a cog in the machine (exposition), I'd imagine the role must have felt a bit dull to him. When he finally tells teenage Arthur how his mother died... feels like it could've been better. One second he's all "You'll meet her some day", next he drops the fact that she's dead in "trailer narration" tone, without much of an emotional shift.

Right now, I feel like I could watch the movie again just for the Sicily scene alone. I got such a high from that. So comicbooky, but thrilling. I appreciated the detail of showing Manta's blast could actually burn Arthur. The mid-air bell tackle. Such a boss. I was also surprised by how sweet and funny they got with Atlanna and Tom Curry. The goldfish, the dog. I didn't expect them to squeeze comedy out of that. Worked for me. Most of the Atlantis scenes were a treat, too. I'm hungry to watch it again.

The film has genuine heart too. Theres a lot of winking at the audience and comedic moments but they never use comedy to under cut dramatic or heartfeld moments which is what I appreciated. I guess to some people thats "melodramatic" but I appreciated that Wan let those moments be genuine.

Also @Nemeres I too feel Sicily was such an excellent set piece. I cant decide between that and third act as my favorite. Mera was such a badass!

Sicily was great...whether it was the cliches or the badass action. Mera went straight up Wonder Woman!

If I were an octopus and I saw Jason I'd probably start banging the drum in front of me too

*leaves thread again to avoid spoilers*
Great contribution though. :funny:

Sicily was great...whether it was the cliches or the badass action. Mera went straight up Wonder Woman!
Yeah, I loved her action scenes there and Sicily was a gorgeous location to use. I went on hols there about 10 years ago and it is a beautiful place.

I loved Queen Atlanna... but did anyone think her storyline was just a tad similar to Janet Van Dyne's from Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Bunch of stuff to say after seeing it:

Nicole Kidman is like waaaay too pretty.

Thomas Curry goes by Tom now? Like, "-Save Tom!!! - Don't you mean Thomas? - Uh... ok".

One thing BP did better than this movie was the whole "what's the hero gonna do now? what is his ideology" Like politically, as in, people are still awful to the ocean, like whats his stance? What he gonna do, besides not going to war?

All the costumes were on point.

What did Queen Atlana did for 20 years? Did she grabbed a dead glove-fish, put a bloddied palm mark on it and called her Wilsonette?

Loved the twist on the bar brawl trope in here.

The Pinocho bit was hilarious.

As was the whole "I've coulda pee on it" thing with the atlantean USB.

I enjoyed the movie.

I loved Queen Atlanna... but did anyone think her storyline was just a tad similar to Janet Van Dyne's from Ant-Man and the Wasp?

I thought it was quite similar to Hiccup's mom in How to Train Your Dragon 2... spoilers for that film. :oldrazz:

It's nice to have a DC movie that just aims to make you happy. All DC movies seem to have a touch of tragedy in them, even dating as far back as Nolan. This is the first DC film in a long time that doesn't have any somber-ness to it (not that I have an issue with somber-ness) and thus I think probably will make it the most rewatchable. I actually didn't expect Nicole Kidman to come back at the end and reunite with her husband which I thought was a lovely payoff from the prologue. I wouldn't have been mad if they contrived a way for her to stay away for her husband's well being or something. And for a brief moment, I thought Orm was going to take her out when they reunited. But I'm glad they didn't-- its nice to have a superhero movie, for once, where both of his parents are alive and intact by the end.

I watched it last Saturday.

Love it, but I want to point out the last fight both underwater and at open air. I at one point told my wife: "Jason Momoa, take me!" man, that fight riding the Karathen and the cinematography when he fights Orm and those turbines at the background... Jesus!

Not really. Atlanna went back to Atlantis, lived for a few years before her people tried to sacrifice her but she got free and was trapped on a secretly island. She also wasnt sending any messages to anyone.

It's nice to have a DC movie that just aims to make you happy. All DC movies seem to have a touch of tragedy in them, even dating as far back as Nolan. This is the first DC film in a long time that doesn't have any somber-ness to it (not that I have an issue with somber-ness) and thus I think probably will make it the most rewatchable. I actually didn't expect Nicole Kidman to come back at the end and reunite with her husband which I thought was a lovely payoff from the prologue. I wouldn't have been mad if they contrived a way for her to stay away for her husband's well being or something. And for a brief moment, I thought Orm was going to take her out when they reunited. But I'm glad they didn't-- its nice to have a superhero movie, for once, where both of his parents are alive and intact by the end.
Yes, I'm glad it ended like that. It was pretty sad him walking to the edge of the pier every day in hope.

For those that asked in the other thread Steppenwolf is referenced by Mera when she first meets up with Arthur. Like full on name and everything.

Literally any rumor that existed that a reboot is coming is dead there is no way to make it work because Justice League happened like days before this film and is discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"