Days of Future Past Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed?

Just by releasing sequels to the original series, FOX is already branching out/expanding the series. And some people here think that FOX will only start branching out/expanding the series by releasing multiple spin-offs.

It would add more significant growth to the X-Men world beyond the mansion with X-Force, so they are right. But you hate spinn offs so it's no surprise why you have a problem with that.

No, my problem with that post, is I feel like people have this misconception that FOX never expanded the X-Men movie series and that there was no growth at all with this series just because FOX haven't released movies for X-Force, Deadpool and they haven't released enough spin-off movies (and I feel like they did) and the movies were always about Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto.

I agree that FOX could do more, and of course spin-offs will make the X-Men movie universe bigger, but to say, that FOX never expanded the X-Men universe and there was no growth at all, is just wrong.

People want movies that are not about those same characters over and over. That is the growth and branching out they are talking about. Nothing wrong with that. Just different preferences. Some may want it branched out with other characters already introduced like TW or FC, others may want the world to grow with new characters. Nothing wrong with either.

Both are expanding the world. One is more significant.

Last edited:
People want movies that are not about those same characters over and over. That is the growth and branching out they are talking about. Nothing wrong with that. Just different preferences.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting more growth and wanting to put the focus on other characters.

But X-Maniac clearly stated that the X-Men movie series didn't grow yet and I felt like in the last 13 years, it did.

Do you think there was no growth and no expansion in the X-Men movie series in the last 13 years?

There has been. I don't think X-maniac literally meant that. I took it as we need more character focus outside of Wolverine and the main series.

Last edited:
I still don't think he's saying there hasn't been any growth in the series in general. Just that there should be growth outside of the main series and it shouldn't be called X-Men:X-Force or whatever.

Last edited:
I still don't think he's saying there hasn't been any growth in the series in general. Just that there should be growth outside of the main series and it shouldn't be called X-Men:X-Force or whatever.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Some characters have not been fully explored (Cyclops, Storm, Gambit), others have been squandered (Juggernaut, Multiple Man, Psylocke, Angel) or otherwise dumped and not used to full potential (Banshee, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler).

I am not sure if it's necessary to call X Force anything other than that. Does it need to be X-Men: X Force? Do we know for sure that the X-Men brand name is a guaranteed attraction or whether it actually leads to audience fatigue if every film has that in the title?

clearly a fatigue, at least in USA.

The more tittles/films without 'X-Men' in the tittle and with a different cast/concept, the better.

We need Fox to expand the universe, not repeat the same formula and characters over and over.

Whether it doesn't have the word "X-Men" or not in the title of the movie, fatigue will still be there because its another X-Men film and knowing FOX, they would let the GA know that its another X-Men spin-off.

I actually think The Wolverine would earn more money, if "X-Men" was included in the title of the movie.

Or they could have done what Marvel is doing with their movies, in the posters/banners, include a "X-Men" logo above the title of the movie.

X-Men:X-Force just sounds really bad. You don't need two "X-" in the title. Movie fatigue in general can still exist with movies called X-Men. If a film features all new characters and title, then nothing is really being played out or tired in the series.
I actually think The Wolverine would earn more money, if "X-Men" was included in the title of the movie.

Maybe. But this one wasn't really an X-Men film, since Origins had Cyc and a crew of others it made more sense. I think everyone knows Wolverine is X-Men by now.

Or they could have done what Marvel is doing with their movies, in the posters/banners, include a "X-Men" logo above the title of the movie.

I think the X in the title is a strong enough visual cue for audiences.

Last edited:
X-Men:X-Force just sounds really bad. You don't need two "X-" in the title. Movie fatigue in general can still exist with movies called X-Men. If a film features all new characters and title, then nothing is really being played out or tired in the series.

I know it sounds bad, but if its gonna sell more tickets, then its really that not bad. And they could just call the movie X-Men: Force.

Maybe. But this one wasn't really an X-Men film, since Origins had Cyc and a crew of others it made more sense. I think everyone knows Wolverine is X-Men by now.

Its about selling the movie. If having the word X-Men in the title of the movie would give the movie 10 more million, then go for it!

I think having the word "X-Men" in the title of the X-Force movie would sell more tickets because X-Men is already well-known, X-Force is not.

But to be honest, if I was the head of FOX, I would just call it X-Force, so if it doesn't do well at the box-office, it will just to prove to the fans that the GA aren't really into spin-offs.

Just call If X-force.

I just wonder if failure of Kick ass 2 may affect It.

And the antiwolverine people may not want to hear it but wolverine could be In X-force.

I just wonder if failure of Kick ass 2 may affect It.

I doubt it. Critics didn't dig it but audiences like it alot. It's gonna double its budget ww pretty soon, and still has yet to open in alot of countries. Like everything else this year domestic could have been better. Far from a failure though. It was made under 30 mil for a reason. Like Kick-Ass 1, it's larger audience will be on video.

Its about selling the movie. If having the word X-Men in the title of the movie would give the movie 10 more million, then go for it!
It's also about having a title that doesn't sound dumb or confusing. X-Men: X-Force sounds like two films, not one. No studio wants a bad title. You'd be better off calling it X-Men Origins: Cable and Deadpool if you wanna shoe horn X-Men in there, or X-Men: Force. That would actually make sense. The "X-" in X-Force is there to make the connection already so you would be defeating the purpose. When audiences see the X and hear the word mutant it will be almost impossible not to make the connection. And If audiences can't figure that out after this franchise has been around for 15 years then there are bigger issues with the marketing and audience awareness for the franchise.

Last edited:
So people don't realize that X-Men: X-Force was a joke, then...

Ok.

Odds are that even if its about X-Force, it may well just be titled X-Men: Some subtitle related to the storyline.

So people don't realize that X-Men: X-Force was a joke, then...

Ok.

No, they didn't. You ended up just putting the idea into people's heads and now they think it's serious. That's how it works on here. Why haven't you figured that out yet, lol?

Odds are that even if its about X-Force, it may well just be titled X-Men: Some subtitle related to the storyline.

Why not just call it X Force? What is so wrong with that simple descriptive title?

Because X-Force is unknown and X-Men is already well-known. There are kids who aren't familiar with X-Force and female casual viewers who aren't really into comics already saw a X-Men flick before, including the name "X-Men" in the title of the movie would encourage them MORE to watch a X-Force movie.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Some characters have not been fully explored (Cyclops, Storm, Gambit), others have been squandered (Juggernaut, Multiple Man, Psylocke, Angel) or otherwise dumped and not used to full potential (Banshee, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler).

I am not sure if it's necessary to call X Force anything other than that. Does it need to be X-Men: X Force? Do we know for sure that the X-Men brand name is a guaranteed attraction or whether it actually leads to audience fatigue if every film has that in the title?

You know what, the chances for the fatigue is already there, if they release a X-Force movie in theaters. Like what def28 said just by the "X" and watching the movie especially if there's a cameo from Hugh Jackman, people would get that its another X-Men spin-off and its connected to the first 7 X-Men movies.

Adding the word "X-Men" is the title of the movie is just to help market and sell the movie.

Last edited:
Or they could just release a movie called "X-Force" and promote it as connected to the X-Men movies. Really wouldn't be difficult, and better than using a redundant title that will likely be mocked for it's redundancy.

Yes they could do that. But still having the "X-Men" in the title will sell more. Just hearing the title of the movie, people would easily get that its connected to the other X-Men movies.

Bottom line is the film would sell more if the title of the film has "X-Men" but like I said, if I was the head of FOX, I would just call it "X-Force", its a risk but this will prove once and for all, if spin-offs are really beneficial (like business-wise) for this franchise or not.

Last edited:
No, they can get away with calling a film X-Force. They just have to do it right. Make a good movie, promote it right - connect it with the X-Men series as part of the promotion. Simple as that.

We shall see, the track record of the writer they hired for the movie isn't really good and judging FOX's marketing for the last two X-Men films (TW/FC) and I doubt they would promote it greatly.

Agreed with Danoyse. Market it as connecting to X-Men and it'll be fine

Just market X Force PROPERLY and it should do fine.

It doesn't need Wolverine to be in it, it doesn't need X-Men in the title. This franchise has now developed a Wolverine dependency problem and it needs to wean itself off that.

The Wolverine went off the radar a bit, it just didn't reach the mainstream public as an essential must-see. It really needed to do that, given its release after a crowded summer of action movies.

I wouldn't say there's a dependancy. First Class did fine without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"