The Winter Soldier Arnim Zola

Panther X

Civilian
Reaction score
I didn't notice any thread for this guy, and I thought he was too awesome in this to go unnoticed. Toby Jones confirmed sometime ago that he would be reprising his role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so I think that in itself isn't a spoiler.

Anyway, what did you guys think about the character's appearance in this film? Do you think they handled it well, or did it take you out of the otherwise grounded film?

Also:

Does anyone else think Zola could turn out to be the Clairvoyant in Agents of SHIELD, given what we know up to now?

I loved how they adapted him for the big screen...although I fully expected that big screen to sprout arms and legs...:D

I like how he plays the character of Dr. Zola he is also the voice of Dobby from HP I was shocked when I found out about that.

Zola was one of the best things about going into this film blind, because I was completely FLOORED by his appearance and the subsequent bombshells. It was like reliving getting blindsided by MGS2. I still can't get over how he came off looking like a far bigger villain than Red Skull ever was.

I loved how they adapted him for the big screen...although I fully expected that big screen to sprout arms and legs...:D

haha i was expecting the same thing, btw when they were talking about an AI before that and when they started talking to Zola at the beginning I was "wow are they really teasing Ultron?!?!?!, but then I really loved to recognize zola's voice.

Regarding Zola being the clairvoyant I'am still not 100% but his whole algorithm been a plan to "reveal" the future based on your life information really makes it possible but we also have to remember the guy in the trailer for AoS who is there just looking at tv screens, not sure if thats the clairvoyant but that would totally discard Zola(I think)

Regarding Zola being the clairvoyant I'am still not 100% but his whole algorithm been a plan to "reveal" the future based on your life information really makes it possible but we also have to remember the guy in the trailer for AoS who is there just looking at tv screens, not sure if thats the clairvoyant but that would totally discard Zola(I think)

I'm guessing the guy in the wheelchair will turn out to be nothing more than red-herring. It just seems too simple for the way they have been building him/her up.

At the least, I think it would be someone we have already encountered on the show (recent rumors suggest Victoria Hand). The clairvoyant is supposed to be revealed before Cap2 is released in the US right? This makes me reconsider if it is Zola at all.

Zola as the Clairvoyant makes perfect sense - he'd have a blind spot for Fury's shenanigans and would want a similar serum to build himself a new body. Equally, he got destroyed so...

Loved his appearance in TWS, just wish they didn't bomb him. He could have been a cool recurring villain. Him as the mastermind behind Hydra's infiltration of SHIELD was superb though, it was a brilliant plan

Zola as the Clairvoyant makes perfect sense - he'd have a blind spot for Fury's shenanigans and would want a similar serum to build himself a new body. Equally, he got destroyed so...

Loved his appearance in TWS, just wish they didn't bomb him. He could have been a cool recurring villain. Him as the mastermind behind Hydra's infiltration of SHIELD was superb though, it was a brilliant plan

I don't think he's a goner. Either he's already out there in the World Wide Web, which makes sense given all the information he's had access to, or if not, it'd be cool if he jumped onto Black Widow's USB when she downloaded the information from it in the bunker, and then jumped from there to the internet when Black Widow uploaded the contents of the USB online at the end.

I like how he plays the character of Dr. Zola he is also the voice of Dobby from HP I was shocked when I found out about that.

The hell???? Are you sure?? If true, damn, that is incredible.

Zola was one of the best things about going into this film blind, because I was completely FLOORED by his appearance and the subsequent bombshells. It was like reliving getting blindsided by MGS2. I still can't get over how he came off looking like a far bigger villain than Red Skull ever was.

Yeah, I hear you on that. Zola's menace was further amplified by the fact that his conscience was conveyed as some advanced AI and it's his scene that is pretty much the reveal and turning point of EVERYTHING. Definitely a MGS2.Col. Campbell AI reveal vibe.

Yeah, I hear you on that. Zola's menace was further amplified by the fact that his conscience was conveyed as some advanced AI and it's his scene that is pretty much the reveal and turning point of EVERYTHING. Definitely a MGS2.Col. Campbell AI reveal vibe.

Good Comparsion. Zola's Scene was great. :yay:

In the comic books, they just reintroduced his daughter, Jet Zola.

Jet_Zola_(Earth-616)_from_Captain_America_Vol_7_16.NOW_0001.jpg

Does anyone else think it could be possible that...

Arnim Zola is being reframed as the overarching arch nemesis of the trilogy? Yes, he took a backseat to a Red Skull in the first film, but it was his tech that weaponised the Tesseract. And in this film, it's the Zola Algarithim that's at the core of HYDRA's plan to wipe out millions. Even though Zola himself is only in one scene and taken out of play fairly early, Pierce and co are only really putting his plan into action. Should he come back as a more central antagonist in the third film, you could definitely make an argument for Arnim Zola as Big Bad of the series.

For me, that scene was the film's real Alan J Pakula moment. With the imagery flashing across the screens, it felt like so etching straight out of the famous brainwashing scene from The Parallax View.

Like everyone else on this thread, I didn't expect his appearance, the Russo brothers really knows how to surprise their audience.

Quick question though,
did he die during the attack on the bunker?

Like everyone else on this thread, I didn't expect his appearance, the Russo brothers really knows how to surprise their audience.

Quick question though,
did he die during the attack on the bunker?
Its possible, although he could've transferred himself onto Black Widow's memory stick before he got bombed. Hopefully this isn't the end for Zola. It would be pretty cool to see him show up in a future movie in his robot body.

The whole scene was a real bombshell.

HAR HAR HAR ;)

But yes brilliant use of Zola. When Jones was revealed to be coming back i would have guessed in a flashback sequence. But the way he was implemented into the plot was ingenious.

It was a pretty cool adaptation of his comic book self.

Of course, they'd already shown him in a very different light in the last movie. The impression I got from TFA is that Zola isn't really a villain, not truly a believer in HYDRA, but just lacking morals, and terrified of the Red Skull.

He is even disturbed when Skull orders him to work the POWs to death.

And the green characters representing his face was a very cool visual.

Its possible, although he could've transferred himself onto Black Widow's memory stick before he got bombed. Hopefully this isn't the end for Zola. It would be pretty cool to see him show up in a future movie in his robot body.

I think it's likely. I don't remember what Zola said in the bunker, but I got the impression that he put his own survival before all else, and the calm way in which he awaited the bombing seemed odd to me. If a person goes to the trouble of uploading himself to a large data bank to survive illness, I suspect he'll have found a way to survive. With the MCU seemingly set to go on for years, I suspect Feige is giving himself plenty of opportunity to bring back popular villains.

My fav bit of dialogue from the first Cap movie involves Zola.

ZOLA: The sanity of the plan is inconsequential, the point is HE CAN DO IT!
Tommy Lee Jones: What's his target?
ZOLA: His "target".... is EVERYWHERE!!!

Ha!

HAIL HYDRA!!!!!!

Zola was brillant in this film and more evil than we saw him in The First Avenger.

I think it's likely. I don't remember what Zola said in the bunker, but I got the impression that he put his own survival before all else, and the calm way in which he awaited the bombing seemed odd to me. If a person goes to the trouble of uploading himself to a large data bank to survive illness, I suspect he'll have found a way to survive. With the MCU seemingly set to go on for years, I suspect Feige is giving himself plenty of opportunity to bring back popular villains.

Yes I'd be very surprised if he doesn't return, there's no way he'd just let himself die. He could after all, control that missile if he so desired

How much do you guys think Zola will play a role, if any, in Age of Ultron?

I think they are more likely to save him for Cap 3 (if they do decide to bring him back). Joss and co. no doubt have enough toys to play around with. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"