Assassin's Creed IV

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by Soapy, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

That's what's always prevented me from really getting into the series. I think if they were true historical set games that'd be great but i could care less for Desmond or the animus or virtual reality constructs.

2. AxlsAppetite

AxlsAppetite Well-Known Member

It's just the delivery of the present day stuff that's lacking, not the content. Otherwise we would just be playing as cool Assassins throughout time with no real purpose.

Leaving it out would be like watching The Matrix without any of the scenes set in the matrix. It would be incomplete.

3. James

James Built from Lego

My feelings exactly. I didn't even finish AC1 or AC2 because the story didn't intrigue me at all. Unless a game as an interesting story, I don't feel the need to finish it. After a while the game play got too repetitive and I just gave up on it altogether, not bothering with AC3 as a result.

I disagree. Obviously it's subjective, but I'd be perfectly happy with a series where we just play as "cool assassins throughout time". There's no reason the story couldn't be something else that links them all together without sci-fi future baloney. For me it's definitely not a case of the future stuff being less fun than the past stuff, and absolutely a case of the over all story just being uninteresting.

4. ProjectPat2280

ProjectPat2280 SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea im the same way. Every time im sucked out of the animus i do what needs to be done as quick as possible so i can get back to the core game. I dont think the future sci fi stuff adds anything even remotely interesting to the game. Had they of just left that and the whole world ending nonsense out, the series would of been fine. Assassins v Templars throughout history, thats all ya need.

This times a billion.

5. AxlsAppetite

YOU guys are overall uninteresting...

I got nothing else.

Team Desmond!

6. James

James Built from Lego

7. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Look at the GTA series for example. They don't need some extra-dimensional story or hook to try and tie together all the different games.

They just set out to make good games. I think a full fledged pirate game sounds great where you get to live the life of a swash buckler, sort of like how RDR let you live the life of a cowboy. The other stuff just seems like unneeded baggage.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. ProjectPat2280

LOL.

Well i did like Desmond, but im a big fan of Nolan North.

9. AxlsAppetite

The main characters from those games aren't part of a secret society that's been around since the beginning of humanity fighting for freedom, so, no.

10. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking 'I'm' going to be kidnapped by William Miles and flipped to the Assassin side by the end of the game.

11. James

James Built from Lego

I have a question.

None of the games in my current stock are leaping out at me, and with all this talk about AC4 I'm sorely tempted to pick up AC3. Now, chances are I won't finish the main story but I'm curious nonetheless: Once you've finished the story, can you continue playing, or is that it?

12. SpideyVille

SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

Yeah, you can continue playing and completing any side missions you didn't finish after you finish the main story.

13. James

James Built from Lego

Awesome, thanks Spidey!

Chances are if I do pick it up (which I'm definitely leaning towards) I won't finish the main story anyway, but it's nice to know I can and still have the freedom to run around.

14. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

AC3 raised my interest in this series (which was always very high anyway) with the change of environment and Black Flag is putting it into orbit.

And the future stuff to me is ok but nowhere near the quality of the historical stuff.

15. ProjectPat2280

Well since you are kinda iffy on the game, im gonna warn you that its slow going in the beginning, and even more so for someone who isnt too concerned with the story. Just get through it tho man, cuz Connors combat is just toooo much damn fun.

16. James

James Built from Lego

Thanks Pat!

I'd heard the first hour or so is pretty slow. I've watched a few gameplay videos and it looks pretty cool, especially the naval combat. Can you get into naval combat and make use of your ship outside of missions, or is it purely a mission based feature?

17. Wolvieboy17

Wolvieboy17 Believe it!

I don't think the modern gameplay has been done justice by any means but I do think it's crucial as a backdrop and setting. It informs the whole HUD layout, the whole database layout and the whole concept of memories and sequences which I think are a great context for the game and help to make it unique.

That said, I probably wouldn't mind if they eased off on the actual modern gameplay for a while, at least until they actually commit to the modern segments and decide to make it worthwhile. AC 3's modern segments were one of the most disappointing endings for me for a looooooong time.

18. ProjectPat2280

Unfortunately the naval stuff are just missions, ya cant just cruise in the ship(major bummer imo), but theres a good amount of the naval missions tho. At least 10 or so.

19. The Squirrel

The Squirrel Le Rongeur

Yeah, because I'd feel lost playing as a Pirate Assassin without some present day context. :o

20. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

It's not just that the present stuff has been lacking But I just don't like the concept of the machine and the matrix type stuff between the past&present,I love sci-fi&fantasy and this is unique&original But I would have totally be fine IF AC1 was just all about Altair and the other games being about new characters towards the future without being descendants.

Yeah there's games like Prince of Persia for that But still,I admit though I finally got around to liking Desmond and warming up to the machine&ancient gods..Then the ending happened,In the other games I tried to remain in the past as much as possible and only leave the machine when I had to for the story But in AC III I really liked Desmond's missions.

I would not have a problem at all with an AC game set just in the present But am just tired of the mixed things.

21. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

It was strolling around Montergionni that got me wanting modern day stuff. Then Ezio's amazing speech to Desmond in Revaltions. When AC3 rolled around, what shat me was how half arsed all that was. Invading Abstergo to finally kill Vidic should've been the final level, that's what the franchise was building to, instead that level was easier and quicker than that crap Charles Lee foot chase.

22. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Awesome shot,Makes me want an Aguaman game!!

They should get Hans Zimmer to do the score!..
    [YT]s17XDrKuqc4[/YT]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  23. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

The pre-AC3 games intimately linked the past and present. While you were Altair or Ezio, there were clues that you looked for/discovered that only had meaning to Desmond in the 21st century, and you had all the puzzles that unveiled the history of the Assassins and Templars. In AC3, there's none of that, so it feels like two completely different storylines. There's Connor and Haytham; and then....oh yeah, Desmond's still wandering around the 21st century, right? And the latter was nothing but straightforward walkthrough missions, instead of anything mysterious or occult or fascinating. There weren't any mental challenges/puzzles in AC3, just regular gaming.

24. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

So...I wonder how they will deal with the modern era...I mean, there were TWO endings to 3.....

25. James

James Built from Lego

I vow to play the Pirates/Gladiator theme when pirating in AC4. I friggin' love that track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.