At the Movies with CC!

so I watched another movie on my list, and it was...

jZ5qMju.jpg

The movie stars Constance Wu (who i enjoy on Fresh Off the Boat, and is from about 90 minutes from where I live) as Rachel Chu, a New York professor who agrees to fly to Singapore to attend the wedding of her boyfriend's best friend, only to discover they are stupid rich (excuse me, crazy rich)! I love the film features an all-Asian cast, and some amazing talent and big names too. Mr Hangover, Ken Jeong's there, badass Crouching Tiger Michelle Yeoh (who looks amazing btw), and Gemma Chan (who I secretly would cast as Psylocke if I was casting X-Men)
The book series by Kevin Kwan has been on my to-read list for a while but my best friend recommended I watch this because of how much she enjoyed it. For what it's worth, she is Asian, I am not, but I did understand some of the cultural things, and others she helped me to.
Henry Golding was pretty handsome and charming as the lead and Awkwafina was very funny as her best friend. She paired with Oliver very well.
I don't know if it was mass media knowledge or just local interviews and such, but Constance Wu had never been to Asia before and like her character, she was experiencing it all for the first time. I thought that was very cool.
Some of the sets and scenes were gorgeous! Especially the wedding, and I was pretty shocked to see Kina Grannis performing in the film as she was a youtube singer I was a fan of for a long time that had never really "made it big"
I really enjoyed the friendship of Rachel and Nick's sister Astrid, especially following the bachelorette party. Shame on me for not picking up on the twist with Amanda's character. Those girls are mean!

and this might be my favorite line from the film:
tumblr_phsobaNyTP1tovmb9o1_400.gif
tumblr_phsobaNyTP1tovmb9o2_400.gif

i really enjoyed this film and would definitely watch again and now i look even more towards reading the books since it appears that the subsequent books will be greenlit to film as well.

Knew you'd like that one! :up:

^You did not recommend the Ultimate Final cut of that movie like you usually do.
Well apparently I no longer need to, as my preference is well known!

CC watched 2 movies in one week yall :eek:
One was Captain Marvel, but since that just came out, I don't want to post any spoilers and ruin anything for anyone. If anything, I may write a review and just spoiler tag. In the mean time, I watched this Monday or Tuesday night:
KLNXyG9.jpg

Aquaman stars Jason Momoa (yum) and Amber Heard, who Ive only ever seen in Magic Mike. I remember Orm from Watchmen, and Willem is Willem! I totally remember the guy who played Aquaman's dad from something else, but I can't place it. And how did they get Nicole Kidman to play in this? I keep seeing these big name stars, Kidman, Bening, etc in these new comic movies and I just can't believe they're able to pull these big names. I guess it's because Superhero movies are the bees knees, right now. Or maybe their kids/grandkids want to see them in these parts. Who knows? But it's pretty great.

Anyways, the movie was entertaining. I saw it at home, but I bet it was beautiful on the big screen. Would love to see it on an OLED. The scenery was pretty, above and below sea level and I liked the extra nuances they made for when they were underwater, especially with sound. I appreciated that touch. I liked the relationship between Arthur and his dad. The flashback scene at the aquarium seemed like nothing more than to show that he could talk to animals. That's it. They never really embellished on it, or discussed it again until it was key to the plot. Deadpool would've made a joke about that hanging plot device, no doubt.

Going in I knew nothing about Aquaman, his cast of characters or anything really, but Mera was pretty cool. I liked her powers, especially how she split the water Moses-style and her use of the wine. I gotta admit I did chuckle when she took the sweat off his brow for water and he said he could've just peed on it. A lot of people don't like Aquabro, and I don't know the other versions of him, but I didn't hate it. I wasn't enamored with it, but it worked enough. Black Manta seemed like a good villain and I'd like to know about him and probably will in the sequel.

They brought up a lot of good points about how much we dump into the ocean, and the waste and havoc we cause on the planet, and they weren't wrong for it.

Some of the questions I do have though, is how did Willem Dafoe sneak on land so much and never get caught? Was he that naive? How come some could breathe on land and some could not? Or did the soldiers just freak out? How the heck did Aquamom survive the trench by herself when they barely did it by themselves with flares?

That's all I got for now. :)

okay i just re-read this thread and i'm such a horrible reviewer lol
i've watched a few movies since then, and my captain marvel review is behind.

at least i went back to the beginning and put jump links in the main post so people can jump to my "reviews", should they be inclined lol

I do owe a Captain Marvel review.
I have worked so much in the last year, especially the last 2 months lawd, that the only other movies I remember watching that I can "review" are:

Long Shot
Charlie's Angels (2019)

i'll really have to think to see if I saw anything else that wasn't tv.

I watched a movie y’all.
June 21 2020

The Way Back (Ben Affleck)

This movie had potential but I feel it ended rather abruptly. Ben plays Jack, a former basketball star at his catholic high school who gave everything up and quit playing. Just like that. We find out later why.
The beginning and other scenes shows a good portrayal or the routine alcoholics can fall into and not even realize. As someone who has seen these similar routines in real life, it was appreciated that he made the effort, akin to the little nuances he gave Matt Murdock in Daredevil. The money folding being a small example.

Jack drinks a lot. Work. Drink. Sleep. Shower. Drink. Work. Repeat. We see his routines. But he gets a call to coach his former b-ball team when the coach has a stroke and after battling with himself, reluctantly agrees.

This is a catholic school but the kids cuss as much as affleck does. He actually cussed more lol. There were parts of this that gave a Coach Carter vibe and I couldn’t really figure out how the kids connected with him so much aside from the fact he worked them hard and they started winning. The main bond between he and a player was a little more instabond than the way they made it appear. The assistant coach made it seem like it’d be pulling teeth, but it really didn’t take much effort.

The reveal as to the main source of Jacks pain actually kinda surprised me. It was hinted at one thing but when it falls on your lap, you realize the other things were a result of this significant moment and how he couldn’t recover from it.

Anyways, sports movies are a weakness of mine and I was kinda disappointed how this one wrapped up. Jack majorly screws up at the end and it doesn’t really seem like he had a consequences. He definitely should have. And it’s almost an A-Ha moment when at the end he faces his demons and gets,help or whatever. It all happens too fast and like I said, wraps up a little too neatly and quickly.

The only actors in the film I recognized were Ben, and the rival coach was Glenn from The Wedding Singer. Seeing him immediately told me he was going to be a villain or rival. He just has that face lol. Bens ex is played by a woman I recognized from The Vampire Diaries. Took me the whole movie to place her lol.

Well, I watched a movie. Here’s my commentary on it.

With the coronavirus pandemic going on, and the fact that i'm working 40+ hours a weeks, it's surprising that i've seen more movies since March than maybe all of last year? At least half of it. So without further ado, here is my next review:

o8M1dU2.jpg

trailer here:

Me Before You is a film based on the bestselling book of the same name by Jojo Moyes. It stars Khaleesi and Finnick O'Dair. Emilia Clarke plays Louisa, a young woman who recently lost her job and is in dire need of work to help her family make ends meet. She gets the chance to be a caretaker to disabled Will, played by Claflin, who is struggling to get used to his paraplegic state after a live of living on the edge and the breakup of his girlfriend. Will was very successful and his family is very wealthy, and with their estate so close to Louisa's home, she thinks it might be too good to be true. But Will is rude, unpleasant, uncooperative and downright miserable. Granted, this is downplayed in the film, and although they only hint at it a few times, he is in near-constant pain from his condition.

Louisa dresses very... oddly and peculiar. Will constantly remarks on her wardrobe and fashion choices, but they eventually grow on him. He also chastises her frequently about how she's never left their small town and ventured out. The reason that Louisa dresses this way and why she never left home is explained in the book. Not to spoil that for anyway, but there was a significant event that occurred and it has colored everything in Louisa's life moving forward. After I watched the film, I looked up articles about why is was left out and how the author felt about it. It was nice to see that the author played a significant role in helping with the film and that she was alright with it being omitted. She explained that it wouldve been a throwaway thing in the scope of a film's length and it wasn't right to do that to her character when it would've deserved so much more and could've distracted from the film.

As time goes on, Louisa learns that Will intends to go through assisted suicide after the timetable he agreed to with his parents runs up. Optimistic Louisa then tries to show him that a life can still be worth living and experiencing, even if disabled and puts all her energies into trying to show him this, and ultimately learning herself.

Neville Longbottom plays Louisa's boyfriend in this, but they make him more a comedic character than the book does, and he doesn't get much to work with.

There's not much more to say without spoiling the ending, but it's a cute film. I guess a little better than I thought it'd be? But hey, I watched something and I wrote something. whatevs lol

man i failed at this idea :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"