The Avengers Avengers Assembled: News and Speculation - - Part 68

Status
Not open for further replies.
It starts with some WWII newsreel footage of Cap which we find out Cap is watching (on a laptop/tablet?), his face is forlorn. He then starts sifting through some paper files of his former comrades, a lot of them with "DECEASED" stamped across the file. He gets to Peggy's file, looks at it and notices that she's listed as "RETIRED" with a current address (in Winchester) and phone number, he looks across the room to the phone on the table, obviously contemplating calling her. He sets her file aside to reveal Howard Stark's (with "DECEASED" across it) and below that one is a more recent SHIELD file for Tony Stark. The scene then cuts to outside as Cap walks down the street with street pedlers pushing disposable/prepaid cell phones, a store showcasing the latest model of car. He ends up at the outdoor cafe below Stark Tower. He's sketching the tower when the waitress (whom he saves later) comes up to him asking if he's there hoping to catch a glimpse of Iron Man, since that's why a lot of people come to the cafe. He says maybe some other time and she tells him he's free to sit at the table as long as he'd like. She walks away and Stan Lee, sitting at a table behind Cap, tells him he should get her number. It goes to him on a train, sitting by himself. Then it then cuts to Cap at the giving the owner (?) some money and receiving a key and then we find ourselves at the introduction of him that we see in the film proper (him punching away at a punching bag)

OK that sequence with Cap seriously needed to be in the film. What a travesty it wasn't included. The way it reads is absolute brilliance with a ton of character arc and how these people are connected.

OK that sequence with Cap seriously needed to be in the film. What a travesty it wasn't included. The way it reads is absolute brilliance.
It really could have worked in the final version but maybe Whedon thought it made the movie too Steve-heavy or changed the tone from what he wanted. I still think they should have added something more about Thor coming to Earth, but him showing up the way he did was kind of cool and doesn't really ruin the movie in any way. It's more like nitpicking and adding things just because we've become invested in certain characters.

Well I'm glad they filmed that scene. Too bad it didn't make it in.

However maybe they could put a similar scene in Cap 2.

I just saw the scene before it got taken down off DailyMotion ....

Wow .... ya, how unfortunate. The scene is perfection. We even get to see Cap storming the beaches of Normandy. There's also a hilarious comment from the waitress about the cafe having wireless and Steve responds "for radio?"

Last edited:
It really could have worked in the final version but maybe Whedon thought it made the movie too Steve-heavy or changed the tone from what he wanted. I still think they should have added something more about Thor coming to Earth, but him showing up the way he did was kind of cool and doesn't really ruin the movie in any way. It's more like nitpicking and adding things just because we've become invested in certain characters.
I think it was probably more of a pacing issue than anything else. I mean, given that it transitions into what ends up as his introduction in the film proper (as we saw it), it would've occurred right after Fury's talk with the council. I think that what happens within the clip/the pacing of the clip itself, it just would've dragged the pace of the film down. So I can understand why it was cut (if that was the reason)...

....now the Loki/Barton clip on the other hand, putting my bias as both a Loki fangirl and a Hawkeye fangirl aside (and that it really would've been nice to get a little bit more with both of them <-- that could just be the bias speaking, though, it's a hard thing to set aside :oldrazz:), I really like the dialogue in that scene, Loki wanting to know more about the team as well as calling Hawkeye out for not killing Fury. I just really like it.

We didn't need anymore Thor backstory, because most people already get what his and Loki's deal is from the previous flick.

I think it was probably more of a pacing issue than anything else. I mean, given that it transitions into what ends up as his introduction in the film proper (as we saw it), it would've occurred right after Fury's talk with the council. I think that what happens within the clip/the pacing of the clip itself, it just would've dragged the pace of the film down. So I can understand why it was cut (if that was the reason)...

....now the Loki/Barton clip on the other hand, putting my bias as both a Loki fangirl and a Hawkeye fangirl aside (and that it really would've been nice to get a little bit more with both of them <-- that could just be the bias speaking, though, it's a hard thing to set aside :oldrazz:), I really like the dialogue in that scene, Loki wanting to know more about the team as well as calling Hawkeye out for not killing Fury. I just really like it.
I hope they put that newsreel clip in the next CA movie and maybe incorporate some of the stuff from Steve's apartment also.

Regarding the spearhead, I could be wrong, but I think its missing because the clip is before special effects were added, ie this were the takes that werent used and so the spear tip was never added in post production.

Only thing I can say is that the sequence is censored from the actual cut of the movie on the french BR print of The Avengers. Still trying to figure out why and if it's also the case on other european prints.

If they had modified the alternate opening where it was Fury instead talking to the World Council like he was doing at the end of the film, and just keep in the shots of the NYC Battle, along with the one shot that implied that Iron Man may have been killed in the events with how his face plate was on the ground while Maria Hill's character said on how some heroes were killed or injured (can't remember) at the beginning of the film, it would have definitely added some suspense going into the NYC battle.

In regards to the spearhead being removed from Coulson's chest: I may or may not have seen some footage on a site that had a copy of what appeared to be a dvd/bluray rip, and the spearhead was indeed removed. The title at the beginning was "Marvel's The Avengers" and not "Marvel's Avengers Assemble," so it's not the UK release.

Really hoping that's not the case for the final release. I was really happy that they didn't skimp on the violence so I hope they don't backtrack here. And to be honest, without the spearhead it looks a little like Coulson is getting sodomized to death by Loki.

So with the DVDrip now being available, along with DVD's of the film being available to purchase in some parts of the world already, I wonder when we can expect to get a more accurate count of the screen times for the major characters.

There's no reason for them to remove the spearhead in the DVD/Blu-Ray release. I don't believe it for a second.

How did that rumor get started?

There's no rumor, the spear just isn't there. At least in the version I have.

Yeah, there's a DVDrip online and I checked it out. No spearhead.

It starts with some WWII newsreel footage of Cap which we find out Cap is watching (on a laptop/tablet?), his face is forlorn. He then starts sifting through some paper files of his former comrades, a lot of them with "DECEASED" stamped across the file. He gets to Peggy's file, looks at it and notices that she's listed as "RETIRED" with a current address (in Winchester) and phone number, he looks across the room to the phone on the table, obviously contemplating calling her. He sets her file aside to reveal Howard Stark's (with "DECEASED" across it) and below that one is a more recent SHIELD file for Tony Stark. The scene then cuts to outside as Cap walks down the street with street pedlers pushing disposable/prepaid cell phones, a store showcasing the latest model of car. He ends up at the outdoor cafe below Stark Tower. He's sketching the tower when the waitress (whom he saves later) comes up to him asking if he's there hoping to catch a glimpse of Iron Man, since that's why a lot of people come to the cafe. He says maybe some other time and she tells him he's free to sit at the table as long as he'd like. She walks away and Stan Lee, sitting at a table behind Cap, tells him he should get her number. It goes to him on a train, sitting by himself. Then it then cuts to Cap at the giving the owner (?) some money and receiving a key and then we find ourselves at the introduction of him that we see in the film proper (him punching away at a punching bag)

Sounds like a great scene, wish it would have made the final cut.

I hope somebody online splices the deleted scenes back into the film for a super-cut. From what I understand, stuff like that is legal to obtain if you own a copy of the DVD/Blu Ray.

Just saw this today for the 5th time in theaters. Despite the loud-mouthed 5 year old sitting behind me and his overly aggressive father, The Avengers is still kick ass. Best movie of the summer, bar none.

Y had to watch the Avengers five times,just to convince yourself of how good it was!!?? :wow: :cwink:

The 720p blu ray rip looks absolutely beautiful.

Yeah I don't think there's a feature that seamlessly plays deleted scenes where they should be in the course of the movie.

Yeah deleted scenes are cool and we got a good movie here and yeah I think a scene like that should've been in there but unless they make an alternate cut it's pretty much staying that way.

You could make your own cuts of a movie, if you know how to use editing programs. It's a lot of work, but it'd be cool nevertheless.

In regards to the spearhead being removed from Coulson's chest: I may or may not have seen some footage on a site that had a copy of what appeared to be a dvd/bluray rip, and the spearhead was indeed removed. The title at the beginning was "Marvel's The Avengers" and not "Marvel's Avengers Assemble," so it's not the UK release.

Really hoping that's not the case for the final release. I was really happy that they didn't skimp on the violence so I hope they don't backtrack here. And to be honest, without the spearhead it looks a little like Coulson is getting sodomized to death by Loki.

The spearhead was not removed from the scene. It was exactly the opposite: that was raw footage that wasn't used in the final film, so the spearhead had not been added in post production. Since they never added effects to the gag reel scenes -- why would they waste the money? -- the CGI/FX aren't there for any of them. That is why there is so much green screen behind Evans, Hiddleston, etc. In the clip of Hemsworth bobbling Thor's hammer, the Chitauri warriors from the finished film were also missing.

TL; dr - There is no censorship, folks! Just missing effects.

The spearhead was not removed from the scene. It was exactly the opposite: that was raw footage that wasn't used in the final film, so the spearhead had not been added in post production. Since they never added effects to the gag reel scenes -- why would they waste the money? -- the CGI/FX aren't there for any of them. That is why there is so much green screen behind Evans, Hiddleston, etc. In the clip of Hemsworth bobbling Thor's hammer, the Chitauri warriors from the finished film were also missing.

TL; dr - There is no censorship, folks! Just missing effects.
That's talking about the gag reel scenes. There's an actual bluray copy of the finished film where the spear doesn't go all the way through.

That's what Son of Coul and DyeLorean are referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"