• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Endgame Avengers: Endgame Box Office (Poll is for second film only)

Is it bad that I'm disappointed it's not beating TFA's weekday numbers?

When will Endgame have a shot of getting into the top 10 list when adjusted for inflation? None of the MCU films are in there at all. The Force Awakens is at 10, but Avatar and Titanic are at 2 and 3 behind Gone with the Wind. Can it get onto that list and even beat some of those others, or even Gone with the Wind?

When will Endgame have a shot of getting into the top 10 list when adjusted for inflation? None of the MCU films are in there at all. The Force Awakens is at 10, but Avatar and Titanic are at 2 and 3 behind Gone with the Wind. Can it get onto that list and even beat some of those others, or even Gone with the Wind?
No way with GWTW. It’ll have a hard job catching up to TFA plus inflation but that is at least possible. The ones at the top of the list are too far away.

Is it bad that I'm disappointed it's not beating TFA's weekday numbers?

Star Wars did get a holiday boost while Endgame has to go through normal week days so yeah, it’s pretty bad. :D

That being said it is absolutely not a sure thing that Endgame will end up outgrossing The Force Awakens dom. The week days numbers have been great so far but its hard to judge wether they’re fueled by spillovers from the weekend or a still very high demand. We’ll know a lot more after the weekend (Wednesday numbers should start giving us a better idea where it’s heading on that front). If it retains a 100M+ lead over TFA after next Sunday, I think it will pretty much be a done deal.

However we should keep in mind that TFA did crazy numbers on week 2 thanks again to the Holiday boost and still managed to get an amazing hold on weekend 3 which could be challenging for Endgame. Especially with competition rolling out I think we can see its running time becoming more and more of an issue as theaters become less accommodating and it starts losing screens.

In any case we are in such uncharted territory that every prediction is probably way off the mark at this point.

Just dropped by to repeat my conviction, which was objected when I wrote it after its first weekend because “insiders” in other forums say this and that, that this isn’t passing avatar. It will settle at around 2.5-2.6 billion but it won’t pass Avatar. You can quote me on that in a few weeks.

You may be right...but on the other hand, if these numbers persist, you may have some less than fine dining on your hands....
eating-crow.jpg

NOTHING can beat Gone With The Wind adjusted for inflation. That amount of tickets being sold is just insane! Of course...it is the Avengers...

Back in the '90s, I would sometimes watch two or three films in a row at the theater. And if a movie was really good, I'd go to see it so many times I lost count. Nowadays, two in a row is my max, but with Endgame I can only see it once in a day and I'm emotionally wrung-out and exhausted. :waa:

Now that most theaters have power recliners, it's easier for me to sit for hours, however. Some of my friends complain that the seats are too comfy and they'll fall asleep in the middle of a movie. The perils of aging. o_O The AMC IMAX seats don't cause that problem, though. They're old, cramped and have about two inches of legroom for an average height person. We were squashed in there like sardines, and the whole row had to vacate their seats just to let one person leave for a potty break. :cmad:

Well, for me, it is a budget thing. Also, I used to have all my friends who ran the local theater, and I could go see movies...for free! I call those the "good old days". I would always go see the big films at IMAX or a nicer theater, but I also got to preview the movie with them before it officially opened, and it was awesome. I think I saw Spider-man 10 times, and Spider-man 2 about 5.

I also didn't have kids then, and my wife and I were in our 20s, so going to the movies 2 or 3 times a week was no problem. Now, it's like a space shuttle launch. "Oops...there's a cloud over Georgia and the kids have homework, better postpone until the Blu-Ray!"

Honestly, if you released Gone with the Wind today, it wouldn't beat Gone with the Wind with inflation. It's a dumb measure since entertainment options and viewing habits are so different than what they were 10 years ago, never mind almost almost a century ago.

Star Wars did get a holiday boost while Endgame has to go through normal week days so yeah, it’s pretty bad. :D

That being said it is absolutely not a sure thing that Endgame will end up outgrossing The Force Awakens dom. The week days numbers have been great so far but its hard to judge wether they’re fueled by spillovers from the weekend or a still very high demand. We’ll know a lot more after the weekend (Wednesday numbers should start giving us a better idea where it’s heading on that front). If it retains a 100M+ lead over TFA after next Sunday, I think it will pretty much be a done deal.

However we should keep in mind that TFA did crazy numbers on week 2 thanks again to the Holiday boost and still managed to get an amazing hold on weekend 3 which could be challenging for Endgame. Especially with competition rolling out I think we can see its running time becoming more and more of an issue as theaters become less accommodating and it starts losing screens.

In any case we are in such uncharted territory that every prediction is probably way off the mark at this point.

Yeah, that 3 hour run time will hurt it when Detective Pikachu starts playing with a run time HALF of that, and a strong push towards the kiddies.

Honestly, if you released Gone with the Wind today, it wouldn't beat Gone with the Wind with inflation. It's a dumb measure since entertainment options and viewing habits are so different than what they were 10 years ago, never mind almost almost a century ago.

Agreed. 4 movies every week of the year versus one movie every...3 months or whatever? Yep. I mean, Dr. Zhivago was in the theater how long? Years? It was a different world then. As incredible an mind-blowing as Avengers Endgame is, in another month or 2, there will be another big film, and the GA will move onto it....whereas back then, the GA was starved for a film by the time a new one came out.

Just dropped by to repeat my conviction, which was objected when I wrote it after its first weekend because “insiders” in other forums say this and that, that this isn’t passing avatar. It will settle at around 2.5-2.6 billion but it won’t pass Avatar. You can quote me on that in a few weeks.

DOM+China is on track for around 1.5B
IW did 1.01B OS-China. If EG doesn’t get an increase there that’s already 2.5B WW. If it increases by 20% over IW it matches Avatar WW more or less. If it increases 30% over IW Avatar is toast.

I’m not saying it will just to be clear but, in my opinion of course, I think’s it’s a little early for definitive statements.

Agreed. 4 movies every week of the year versus one movie every...3 months or whatever? Yep. I mean, Dr. Zhivago was in the theater how long? Years? It was a different world then. As incredible an mind-blowing as Avengers Endgame is, in another month or 2, there will be another big film, and the GA will move onto it....whereas back then, the GA was starved for a film by the time a new one came out.

There were a lot of movies back then too. What was different was the fact that going to the cinema was the only entertainment option: not TV, no internet, no streaming. The general populace were all potential moviegoers, unlike today where very few people go to cinema more than a couple of times per year.

Yeah TFA’s second week is where EG will be losing a chunk of its lead.

Everyone is just speculating, nobody knows where it's going to land. We just hope it beats it.

No chance. Star wars is on a downward trajectory. Tlj finished £700m less than tfa. It might get a bounce from being the last in the series but it may also be hurt by the backlash from tlj. If it makes $1.5bn i would be suprised. Even though it has no competition.

I personally loved TLJ but i don't see The Rise of Skywalker getting this either, for the same reasons. Even if tlj didn't have the backlash it had i don't think this would beat out Endgame.

NOTHING can beat Gone With The Wind adjusted for inflation. That amount of tickets being sold is just insane! Of course...it is the Avengers...

A time before people had tv's. Colour was being introduced in movies. Rereleased loads of times. Adjusted for inflation i can't see it ever being beaten even with the increase in population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"