Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER User Review Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Thread Manager, May 1, 2018.

1. xxxxxtian Registered

It's a stretch, but does Infinity War foreshadow the obvious coming of the Fantastic Four by highlighting their powers?

I've seen the movie a few times now and the more I see it, the more I'm convinced that yes it does.

To me, just a few scenes kind of give the Fantastic Four a little nudge.

Scene 1: The battle in New York. Power 1.

As Tony, Bruce, Strange and Wong are about ready to battle Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw, paraphrasing here but Tony asks Bruce "Where's your guy?" Bruce replies "I don't know, we're sort of having a THING." Tony replies, "There's no time for a THING, that's a THING right there." As he points to a charging Cull Obsidian. Obsidian is a form of rock right? And remember they chose to rename his original name of Black Dwarf to Cull Obsidian. There is also bricks on the floor as Cull Obsidian is charging.

Scene 2: Guardians of The Galaxy intro scene. Power 2.

The song playing is RUBBERBAND MAN and the lyrics go something like, Hey Ya'll prepare yourself for the RUBBERBAND MAN. Then the camera pans out and the only show 4 of the Guardians. 1 of which is female.

Scene 3: Drax pretending he is INVISIBLE. Power 3

Scene 4: Thor takes the full force of the star. Power 4

What is a star? A sun. What do suns do. They burn. Thor is on fire as they are trying to make the STORMBREAKER. Which Fantastic Four has the power of fire? Johnny STORM.

So scene 1 highlights strength, Ben Grimm, The Thing. Scene 2 elasticity, Reed Richards, Mr Fantastic. Scene 3 Sue Storm, invisibility. Scene 4, fire, Johnny Storm.

I said it was a stretch.

2. Damkac Registered

Maybe it is but it's interesting.

3. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Yeah, and the Gauntlet is a metal glove. You know who else has metal gloves! Also, Thanos wants to prevent the universe from annihilating itself! Ooo, and they keep saying Thanos is insane. Another word for that is crazy or psycho!

4. dyl1dyl Registered

I think the A4 post credits has to be some kind of fantastic 4/x-men tease right? Can't not be. I think its either that or just no post credits

5. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I'm with Spider-Fan (on this). With a working Gauntlet, Thanos is practically unstoppable. That's a lot of power he's wielding. Presumably he'd need to be defeated without it in the sequel, unless our heroes can somehow get it off him?

But how would Thanos even know that? The problem I've got with half of existence now living elsewhere, is if everyone is still alive, then Thanos hasn't done anything wrong. He'd have just as well come along and said "okay guys, there's not enough resources here, but I have a solution. I'm going to gather these stones, snap my fingers, and then half of all life will simply go and live somewhere else". It would have been a totally different scenario. Pretty sure it was mentioned (by Gamora) tha Thanos was wiping people from existence. If they're residing in the soul stone, then they still exist.

6. honestbharani Registered

Yeah, those are good points but the word existence can mean different things in a reality where there are multiple dimensions. :) Its an interesting debate as there is no real right or wrong here but I just like the idea of how the concept of energy can be considered as a base for what these stones can do. In my head, its Thanos who simply desires as he snaps his fingers that half the population across this universe must cease to exist in this dimension so that the resource crunch does not happen. I think he could care less what happens in some other dimension or reality.

7. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I think you're confusing existing and living. Going back to my example of you throwing people into acid, they still exist in some form. But, we don't think of gas as an entity, so to us there is effectively nothing of those people left. The peole melted in that acid are no longer alive, but they still exist. In Soulworld, they may exist, but that doesn't mean they're alive.

8. Travesty Registered

So is anyone else having a hard time finding this movie on 4k or blu ray? I just went to my local Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and grocery store(they sell movies), and it's sold out everywhere. So I go onto Amazon to order, it's sold out there, and third party sellers have jacked up the price to around $40-$60. I did see a regular DVD version at Walmart, but I'm not buying that.

What the hell? I've never seen a movie be sold out on 4k or blu ray before. I may have to get online, and see if there's any near me at stores outside my area. A little crazy.

9. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Best Buy for me had a million copies yesterday of the Blu Ray. The steelbook was sold out (but I did in store pickup, lol)

10. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

My issue(?) with the soul stone is it's purpose. The combining of the six stones allows for great power, but where does the notion that the soul stone can produce it's own reality actually come from? If the stones were designed, then I doubt the designer would have known about Thanos and his intentions, so why would [they] have designed the soul stone to store any life?

So what, they're in a state of limbo? Unconscious even, but not actually erased from existence?

In any case, if anything they'd exist in the soul stone, rather than be living in (they'd have to do one in order to do the other). Thanos was quite adamant what he intended to do, and that was erase half the universe' population from existence.

For all involved purposes, if the fallen half are in the soul stone, then they still exist, it doesn't matter that it's potentially a different dimension. Thanos presumably knows about the stones and what they're each capable of. I very much doubt he'd not know of a secret dimension within one of them for his victims.

11. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Unless he doesn't know about it. Or maybe he just doesn't care if they're trapped in a pocket dimension as it means they don't exist in our dimension.

12. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Or maybe the theory is just wrong? :cwink:

13. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I think I am pretty on point. Soulworld is important to Avengers 4 for a reason. They've basically said it is important.

14. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Where?

In any case, it's likely something to do with Gamora, rather than everyone else. I can't see Avengers 4 concluding with Gamora still deceased. A lot was said b various people involved with Infinity War before release, and people had countless assumptions and scenarios as a result of that; many of which turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm willing to bet that this is another one of those; they've said X, people have heard Y, and have created Z as the result. The only connection I see to the Soul Stone in Avengers 4 is Gamora and (maybe) Red Skull.

15. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

We're just kind of going in the same circle we were yesterday dude, LOL! You don't agree and I think you're wrong. Nothing new here.

16. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

True enough, though I'm still interested where they've basically said it is important.

What are your reasons for believing in the soul stone reality theory exactly?

17. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Chekhov's gun is a dramatic principle that states that every element in a story must be necessary, and irrelevant elements should be removed; elements should not appear to make "false promises" by never coming into play.

Soulworld has been introduced as a concept in IW. You cannot just introduce and do nothing with it. It has to play an important part next film, or else it is an unexplained and useless scene. Further, the soul stone's power has not been outlined in the MCU to this point. The stone itself is there, but we know nothing about it. The Russos are not just dropping Soulworld in there as a random easter egg. Especially since they have not explained the Soulworld concept at this point. In other words: what Soulworld is has to be explained and come into play next movie by the principle of Chekov's gun that I posted above.

18. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Currently watching it again on DVD......my wife just commented - "Doesn't Thor act a lot like Loki now?" - that made me go hmmmmm.

19. PunyGod Astronomer

No way that is going to happen. Everyone is jumping the gun here. Both Marvel and Fox already have the next couple of years of movies in the pipeline. Feige and others have said its going to be a few years before they integrate anything.

20. PunyGod Astronomer

This was also explained in the commentary. He was waiting until he knew the location of the soul stone before he started collecting any of them. And he only got that information when he captured Nebula.

Some other things they explain are the reason Thanos doesn’t just double the resources is because ultimately he is not really trying to help anyone. He has just become obsessed with his 50% idea and he is going to see it thru no matter what just to prove himself right to everyone who doubted him. That’s what makes him The Mad Titan.

And I think I read this somewhere but the reason he didn’t slaughter all The Avengers when he fought them was because he sees himself as a holy warrior and isn’t interested in killing on the way to his ultimate goal. He does kill a few like Heimdall and Loki because they pissed him off.

And specifically on Titan I think he couldn’t kill anyone because he needed them to tell him where the time stone is.

Some of my head canon for Thanos is that he has been on his half/half quest for decades going planet by planet. We saw him with a young Gamora. And I think he only found out about the Infinity Stones right around the time the MCU started. He saw that as a great shortcut and a ‘mercy’ so he started going after them.

21. Mjölnir Guest

I think why he didn't double the resources is better explained by that it's logically outside the limits of the gauntlet.

Creation is always far, far more demanding than destruction. You can always tear down anything in a fraction of the time, with a fraction of the energy it took to create it. Given that the gauntlet was nearly destroyed by the energy used in the snap it's only logical to assume that it would not be able to handle something that takes many times more energy.

22. N'Jobu Registered

I think you're right about this, but mostly due to the way the reality stone functions when used. Whenever he used the reality stone to change something, the thing which was changed always reverted back to its original state once Thanos relinquished his power over said thing or left the area. Two very specific instances are when Gamora's sword reverts back to its complete and unbroken form, and also when Drax and Mantis revert back to their normal physical selves once Thanos left with Gamora. I don't think Thanos could create more resources permanently with the guantlet even if he wanted to.

23. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I agree with this, I just think it has a different purpose to the one you're expecting it to have. I think Gamora is in there, and she's practically linked to Thanos. It's a necessary plot device because I think Gamora will have a hand in undoing what has been done - maybe there's even an entry/exit into that world via the Quantum Realm.

All speculation of course.

That's a fair response, but then shouldn't everyone dusted suddenly reappear afterwards? If actions taken (via the reality stone) revert outside of it's proximity or whatever, then presumably it's more like an elastic band than an actual gun.

The only plausible conclusion is that maybe each stone (working independently) has a recoil, but when used together and with the gauntlet, they burn out, but the 'act' (or snap) is fixed; but then he still used the space stone to escape...

24. N'Jobu Registered

I think your point would make more sense if the reality stone alone was needed to kill half of all life. I think that because all of the stones were required for the snap, that made the deaths permanent (until it is somehow reversed through whatever way in A4). Earlier I was speaking about the use of the reality stone on its own. I think there may be a difference between how each stone functions and what their lasting effects are, etc.

25. Travesty Registered

I think the easiest explanation, was in his philosophy that was told to us in the movie: balance. If you make more resources, then the worlds will be overpopulated, and have an over abundance of resources. It's all off balance by doing that, and that's not what Thanos was about.