Infinity War Avengers: Infinity War SPOILER User Review Thread - Part 2

So is anyone else having a hard time finding this movie on 4k or blu ray? I just went to my local Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and grocery store(they sell movies), and it's sold out everywhere. So I go onto Amazon to order, it's sold out there, and third party sellers have jacked up the price to around $40-$60. I did see a regular DVD version at Walmart, but I'm not buying that.

What the bad place? I've never seen a movie be sold out on 4k or blu ray before. I may have to get online, and see if there's any near me at stores outside my area. A little crazy.

Best Buy for me had a million copies yesterday of the Blu Ray. The steelbook was sold out (but I did in store pickup, lol)

Yeah, those are good points but the word existence can mean different things in a reality where there are multiple dimensions. :) Its an interesting debate as there is no real right or wrong here but I just like the idea of how the concept of energy can be considered as a base for what these stones can do. In my head, its Thanos who simply desires as he snaps his fingers that half the population across this universe must cease to exist in this dimension so that the resource crunch does not happen. I think he could care less what happens in some other dimension or reality.
My issue(?) with the soul stone is it's purpose. The combining of the six stones allows for great power, but where does the notion that the soul stone can produce it's own reality actually come from? If the stones were designed, then I doubt the designer would have known about Thanos and his intentions, so why would [they] have designed the soul stone to store any life?

I think you're confusing existing and living. Going back to my example of you throwing people into acid, they still exist in some form. But, we don't think of gas as an entity, so to us there is effectively nothing of those people left. The peole melted in that acid are no longer alive, but they still exist. In Soulworld, they may exist, but that doesn't mean they're alive.
So what, they're in a state of limbo? Unconscious even, but not actually erased from existence?

In any case, if anything they'd exist in the soul stone, rather than be living in (they'd have to do one in order to do the other). Thanos was quite adamant what he intended to do, and that was erase half the universe' population from existence.

For all involved purposes, if the fallen half are in the soul stone, then they still exist, it doesn't matter that it's potentially a different dimension. Thanos presumably knows about the stones and what they're each capable of. I very much doubt he'd not know of a secret dimension within one of them for his victims.

My issue(?) with the soul stone is it's purpose. The combining of the six stones allows for great power, but where does the notion that the soul stone can produce it's own reality actually come from? If the stones were designed, then I doubt the designer would have known about Thanos and his intentions, so why would [they] have designed the soul stone to store any life?

So what, they're in a state of limbo? Unconscious even, but not actually erased from existence?

In any case, if anything they'd exist in the soul stone, rather than be living in (they'd have to do one in order to do the other). Thanos was quite adamant what he intended to do, and that was erase half the universe' population from existence.

For all involved purposes, if the fallen half are in the soul stone, then they still exist, it doesn't matter that it's potentially a different dimension. Thanos presumably knows about the stones and what they're each capable of. I very much doubt he'd not know of a secret dimension within one of them for his victims.

Unless he doesn't know about it. Or maybe he just doesn't care if they're trapped in a pocket dimension as it means they don't exist in our dimension.

Unless he doesn't know about it. Or maybe he just doesn't care if they're trapped in a pocket dimension as it means they don't exist in our dimension.
Or maybe the theory is just wrong? :cwink:

Or maybe the theory is just wrong? :cwink:

I think I am pretty on point. Soulworld is important to Avengers 4 for a reason. They've basically said it is important.

I think I am pretty on point. Soulworld is important to Avengers 4 for a reason. They've basically said it is important.
Where?

In any case, it's likely something to do with Gamora, rather than everyone else. I can't see Avengers 4 concluding with Gamora still deceased. A lot was said b various people involved with Infinity War before release, and people had countless assumptions and scenarios as a result of that; many of which turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm willing to bet that this is another one of those; they've said X, people have heard Y, and have created Z as the result. The only connection I see to the Soul Stone in Avengers 4 is Gamora and (maybe) Red Skull.

Where?

In any case, it's likely something to do with Gamora, rather than everyone else. I can't see Avengers 4 concluding with Gamora still deceased. A lot was said b various people involved with Infinity War before release, and people had countless assumptions and scenarios as a result of that; many of which turned out to be completely wrong.

I'm willing to bet that this is another one of those; they've said X, people have heard Y, and have created Z as the result. The only connection I see to the Soul Stone in Avengers 4 is Gamora and (maybe) Red Skull.

We're just kind of going in the same circle we were yesterday dude, LOL! You don't agree and I think you're wrong. Nothing new here.

We're just kind of going in the same circle we were yesterday dude, LOL! You don't agree and I think you're wrong. Nothing new here.
True enough, though I'm still interested where they've basically said it is important.

What are your reasons for believing in the soul stone reality theory exactly?

True enough, though I'm still interested where they've basically said it is important.

What are your reasons for believing in the soul stone reality theory exactly?

Chekhov's gun is a dramatic principle that states that every element in a story must be necessary, and irrelevant elements should be removed; elements should not appear to make "false promises" by never coming into play.

Soulworld has been introduced as a concept in IW. You cannot just introduce and do nothing with it. It has to play an important part next film, or else it is an unexplained and useless scene. Further, the soul stone's power has not been outlined in the MCU to this point. The stone itself is there, but we know nothing about it. The Russos are not just dropping Soulworld in there as a random easter egg. Especially since they have not explained the Soulworld concept at this point. In other words: what Soulworld is has to be explained and come into play next movie by the principle of Chekov's gun that I posted above.

Currently watching it again on DVD......my wife just commented - "Doesn't Thor act a lot like Loki now?" - that made me go hmmmmm.

I think why he didn't double the resources is better explained by that it's logically outside the limits of the gauntlet.

Creation is always far, far more demanding than destruction. You can always tear down anything in a fraction of the time, with a fraction of the energy it took to create it. Given that the gauntlet was nearly destroyed by the energy used in the snap it's only logical to assume that it would not be able to handle something that takes many times more energy.

Mjölnir;36922343 said:
I think why he didn't double the resources is better explained by that it's logically outside the limits of the gauntlet.

Creation is always far, far more demanding than destruction. You can always tear down anything in a fraction of the time, with a fraction of the energy it took to create it. Given that the gauntlet was nearly destroyed by the energy used in the snap it's only logical to assume that it would not be able to handle something that takes many times more energy.

I think you're right about this, but mostly due to the way the reality stone functions when used. Whenever he used the reality stone to change something, the thing which was changed always reverted back to its original state once Thanos relinquished his power over said thing or left the area. Two very specific instances are when Gamora's sword reverts back to its complete and unbroken form, and also when Drax and Mantis revert back to their normal physical selves once Thanos left with Gamora. I don't think Thanos could create more resources permanently with the guantlet even if he wanted to.

Chekhov's gun is a dramatic principle that states that every element in a story must be necessary, and irrelevant elements should be removed; elements should not appear to make "false promises" by never coming into play.

Soulworld has been introduced as a concept in IW. You cannot just introduce and do nothing with it. It has to play an important part next film, or else it is an unexplained and useless scene. Further, the soul stone's power has not been outlined in the MCU to this point. The stone itself is there, but we know nothing about it. The Russos are not just dropping Soulworld in there as a random easter egg. Especially since they have not explained the Soulworld concept at this point. In other words: what Soulworld is has to be explained and come into play next movie by the principle of Chekov's gun that I posted above.
I agree with this, I just think it has a different purpose to the one you're expecting it to have. I think Gamora is in there, and she's practically linked to Thanos. It's a necessary plot device because I think Gamora will have a hand in undoing what has been done - maybe there's even an entry/exit into that world via the Quantum Realm.

All speculation of course.

I think you're right about this, but mostly due to the way the reality stone functions when used. Whenever he used the reality stone to change something, the thing which was changed always reverted back to its original state once Thanos relinquished his power over said thing or left the area. Two very specific instances are when Gamora's sword reverts back to its complete and unbroken form, and also when Drax and Mantis revert back to their normal physical selves once Thanos left with Gamora. I don't think Thanos could create more resources permanently with the guantlet even if he wanted to.
That's a fair response, but then shouldn't everyone dusted suddenly reappear afterwards? If actions taken (via the reality stone) revert outside of it's proximity or whatever, then presumably it's more like an elastic band than an actual gun.

The only plausible conclusion is that maybe each stone (working independently) has a recoil, but when used together and with the gauntlet, they burn out, but the 'act' (or snap) is fixed; but then he still used the space stone to escape...

I agree with this, I just think it has a different purpose to the one you're expecting it to have. I think Gamora is in there, and she's practically linked to Thanos. It's a necessary plot device because I think Gamora will have a hand in undoing what has been done - maybe there's even an entry/exit into that world via the Quantum Realm.

All speculation of course.

That's a fair response, but then shouldn't everyone dusted suddenly reappear afterwards? If actions taken (via the reality stone) revert outside of it's proximity or whatever, then presumably it's more like an elastic band than an actual gun.

The only plausible conclusion is that maybe each stone (working independently) has a recoil, but when used together and with the gauntlet, they burn out, but the 'act' (or snap) is fixed; but then he still used the space stone to escape...

I think your point would make more sense if the reality stone alone was needed to kill half of all life. I think that because all of the stones were required for the snap, that made the deaths permanent (until it is somehow reversed through whatever way in A4). Earlier I was speaking about the use of the reality stone on its own. I think there may be a difference between how each stone functions and what their lasting effects are, etc.

Mjölnir;36922343 said:

I think the easiest explanation, was in his philosophy that was told to us in the movie: balance. If you make more resources, then the worlds will be overpopulated, and have an over abundance of resources. It's all off balance by doing that, and that's not what Thanos was about.

I think the easiest explanation, was in his philosophy that was told to us in the movie: balance. If you make more resources, then the worlds will be overpopulated, and have an over abundance of resources. It's all off balance by doing that, and that's not what Thanos was about.

You can balance scales both by adding to one side or by taking away from the other, if both actions are within your power. I think that makes it more complicated than saying that only one action was available, especially how the latter lines up perfectly with the consequences.

Currently watching it again on DVD......my wife just commented - "Doesn't Thor act a lot like Loki now?" - that made me go hmmmmm.

Now your wife made me go 'hmmmmm' ... I don't think Loki's disappearance from the scene for a minute or two was just an oversight in editing. Need to see again now...

As for the Soul Realm importance, I still think it is important that the structure over little Gamora is the same as the one Thanos led her two when he took her away during the culling.

I rewatched it a couple of nights ago and the Gauntlet mould in Nidavellir caught my attention. I think that might come into play in A4 somehow.

I agree with this so much, my prediction for the title of A4 is Avengers: Soul World.

Now your wife made me go 'hmmmmm' ... I don't think Loki's disappearance from the scene for a minute or two was just an oversight in editing. Need to see again now...

There's already a theory that Loki is Bruce (that's why he can't turn into the Hulk).

There's already a theory that Loki is Bruce (that's why he can't turn into the Hulk).
:pal:

Some of these theories are just too much of a stretch, seriously. Banner doesn't remotely act like Loki in Infinity War; Loki might be a master magician or master of deceit whatever, but to take on another identify? He couldn't even do Odin without reverting to an element of himself.

It struck me the other day that alot of the heroes now can quick change into their hero costumes.

Vision
Black Panther
Stark
Strange

Also quick helmet removals

Stark
Black Panther
Ant-man and The Wasp
Star-Lord

Interesting comparisons

It struck me the other day that alot of the heroes now can quick change into their hero costumes.

Vision
Black Panther
Stark
Strange

Also quick helmet removals

Stark
Black Panther
Ant-man and The Wasp
Star-Lord

Interesting comparisons
You're forgetting Thor in the costume department. In Ragnarok, when Hela arrived, he (and Loki) switched from civilian clothing to Asgardian gear just like that. :)

And Banner, he can pretty much go from Zero to Hero, he's just gotta get angry. :oldrazz:

I keep forgetting to bring this up but I wonder why they had Strange asking Tony if he knew on how to pilot Thanos's ship back to Earth since shouldn't strange be able to open a portal to get back home at any time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"