Avengers Prime

Alan Davis...another talented artist who, under Bendis, will only get to draw people talking for 20 pages an issue.

Despite the art, pass, for me.

Geoff Johns wrote it back in 03. Was Bendis at Marvel then?
Johns wrote the Avengers portion. Dan Jurgens wrote the Thor part and Mike Grell wrote the Iron Man part.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Bendis was at Marvel then. He was at least doing Alias; not sure if he'd begun dipping his toe into the mainstream superhero pool yet.

Hey, so has anyone else seen the Avengers Prime ads in Marvel's comics? They have something about how many answer the call, but three have always stood above the rest. This week featured Steve with "the Soldier" as his title. Last week featured Iron Man. Does anyone remember what his title was? I can't remember and it's been bugging me ever since I saw Steve's ad this week.

Johns wrote the Avengers portion. Dan Jurgens wrote the Thor part and Mike Grell wrote the Iron Man part.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Bendis was at Marvel then. He was at least doing Alias; not sure if he'd begun dipping his toe into the mainstream superhero pool yet.

That was quite the crew @ the time. I miss Johns on Avengers, I wish he was there longer. I hear some DC fans complain about him, but there's no doubt in my mind he did a killer job with Earth's Mightiest.

Yeah, his run was solid. I liked the UN idea. Not sure if that was him or the previous writer, but it was a good idea.

No, Johns took it the U.N. route. He just used the Avengers saving the world from Kang as the reason.

So no one remembers what Iron Man's title was in the Avengers Prime ads for last week? Dang, I should've probably looked it up at home last night. :o

^I believe it was "The Knight". Pretty sure that's what it was. Seems right because in the first issue of Dark Avengers Ares tells Osborn that his Avengers will need a Soldier, a Knight, and a God.

Yep. Just checked out one of my issues from last week and it's "The Knight".

Last edited:
Oh, that comes from Dark Avengers? That's interesting. I like how the Big Three have become like necessary archetypes for a proper Avengers team at this point. Even Pym set his "real" Avengers up along those lines: Hercules, US Agent, and I guess you could call Quicksilver something of a knight (he was made an actual Knight of Wundagore years ago, I believe). Iron Man himself was also part of Pym's team initially.

Wait, who was the Dark Avengers' soldier? Noh-Varr?

I think The Iron Patriot was supposed to cover both the knight and soldier roles for DA, with Ares as the God. Shortly after Ares mentions it they go into Stark's armory and find the patriot armor.

I also recall early on in Slott's Mighty Avengers Iron Man walks off with Hercules and U.S. Agent and says something like, "A soldier and a God. Those are all the Avengers I need," while walking away from Pym. So I'm not sure if the Soldier, Knight, and God thing is really from DA per se.

It's a relatively new thing, at the very least. I haven't read every Avengers comic ever or anything, but I don't recall the Big Three Avengers ever really being "the Big Three Avengers" before "Standoff," the aforementioned arc from about 10 years ago by Johns, Grell, Jurgens, and Davis. They always had strong bonds between the three of them, and they were always prominent members of the Avengers just because they filled such important roles on the team--Cap as the leader, Thor as the top powerhouse, Iron Man as the financier/main science-type--but I don't think we've seen the level of reverence that they're receiving now. They were always great to have around, but they were never regarded as so intensely integral to the makeup of the Avengers before.

So what does Steve bring to the table now, since he doesn't have a shield (judging from the preview)? I know that he has the Super Soldier serum running in his veins, and the utility belt, but the shield was his main weapon, wasn't it not?

Cap's always been the main weapon. But I believe he has a gun now. A special super science gun, but a gun none the less. I for one am not as but hurt by it as others.

Last edited:
I would've been more ******** if it were a normal gun. I mentioned in another thread that I think they should ban all normal guns from the hands of superheroes. Not only are they intended solely for lethality, they're also really f***ing boring. It's like Hawkeye shooting normal arrows. Sure, they're still effective, but I'll take a sonic arrow or an arrow that explodes into a big net or some other crazy s*** any day of the week.

FINALLY, a fully colored and lettered preview of Avengers Prime #1

prv5320_pg7.jpg

I like that Thor basically treats Cap and Tony like children. It would've been nice if Davis captured the coldness intended in that dialogue a bit better, but still a cool scene. I love when Thor gets to act all holier than thou to the little mortals. :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"