Batman: Arkham Origins - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wish List for the Next Arkham Game

-Map that includes both sections of Gotham, Arkham Asylum (I love the idea of searching for something in the ruins,) the Batcave, and another region.
-Joker being the secondary villain; let Hush and Scarecrow shine.
-A different setting: since they have exhausted winter with AC and AO, why not try for Spring or Fall (maybe on Halloween night? I think the holiday lends itself well to environment decorations and lighting.)
-No more Titan/Venom/T1 subplots. They've worn out their welcome.
-At least one of the following as villains for side/main missions: Mr. Whisper, Court of the Owls, Black Glove, Reaper/Andrea Beaumont, or hell, Dr. Hurt.
-Being able to play as Catwoman again (I loved her missions).
-A physical presence of the classic Gotham criminals: a Daggett Industries Factory, a Rupert Thorne owned business, etc.
-Return of Copperhead and introduction of a new female villain (going back to Andrea Beaumont suggestion. It would be nice to have her acknowledged in another continiuity aside from TAS.) I love Origins, but it was pretty much a sausage fest.
-Christopher Drake returning to score. After listening to magnificent soundtrack for AO, it reminded me of how bland the preceding soundtracks were (save for the suite that played at the end when Bruce is arguing with Alfred whether or not to stop Protocol 10.)
-More suits.

-

These aren't comics.

True, but considering the source material it's a definite possibility that we'll see his return. Especially in world that's already established the existence of Lazarus Pits.

It's why I'm expecting Talia and Ra's to still be alive as well.

Comic properties aren't bound to the same "rules" comics are. In fact, one of the appeals of doing an adaptation is the liberties they can take with those properties. That's why many people found his death shocking in AC. If it happened in the mainstream comics, it would be very easy to shrug off and move on. Not quite so in a video game.

Agreed. But, because of the source material I would argue that the "rule" of death that would normally bound any other story can appropriately be broken.

^ It's the truth though. Comics for the longest period of time have painted themselves into a corner with regards to character deaths. When a major character dies he's brought back not long after, it cheapens the death and does nothing more than waste everyone's time, and unfortunately we're starting to see it creep up into superhero films. Stories like the ones in the Arkham series are a breath of fresh air because they are free from continuity restrictions. Frankly, I would love to see comic books follow this path, do away with DC universe and just release stories as graphic novels.

In the ideal world, yeah. But, I don't think comics as an industry would be able to survive if it only released graphic novels. The monthly and single issue releases is a model that seems to help them survive.

Exactly, it goes hand in hand with the boxed in nature of comics in the first place. The time has come that the serial nature of comics and continuity that characters are beholden to is done away with. Games like the Arkham series should be the example of what to do for characters in the future.

I think the serial nature of storytelling is becoming very popular, though. The people taking in media seem to want more serialized storytelling, and less self contained..."freak' or "case" of the week/day/story approach. I think the serial nature of comics is a plus. The problem is the convoluted approach they can have towards that storytelling that can be a problem.

I also think the history and expectations coming from the fanbase that cries murder anytime someone changes something and takes a risk. Things get blown out of proportion even when it's uncalled for. I think about how strangely up in arms, and misdirected and just wrong people were about the Batman and Catwoman sex scene when the new 52 started out.

It's really hard to do anything new and different when you're beholden to people who will condemn you when you do anything new and different.

Has anyone played the multiplayer yet? Is it any good?

Yeah, it's actually good. I played a little, but it reminds me of Metal Gear Online. Six vs. Six, armed with guns, with two players serving as the 'unique' characters...Batman and Robin. The inclusion of Batman and Robin makes the match different enough and keeps it interesting to me. Where normally you'd be worried about shooting down the enemy gunman...now suddenly you see these shadows moving around above you and then Batman knocks you out when you least expect it.

I'm surprised it's as fun as it is.

I started a lobby yesterday and only one other player joined in the span of 10 minutes.

Crap. That sucks. I'm planning on pouring time into this for the trophies, so if it's going to be a hassle to even get a game going...it's going to be one hell of a trek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"