Batman reboot: Should it be based on realism, dark imagination, or silliness

No more return to Burton style please. I want a progression not a regression.

Arkham game style would be good.

Ala Arkham style, but maybe a little more groundbased. Killercroc not being a huge ass crocodrile monster, but as it was in the beggining. Same as BTAS. Or even JOKER.

Over the top unrealistic doesn't work in a serious film. Not unless you want to make a popcorn flick for stupid people. You can still have fantastical elements, even if you keep the series grounded.

Ala Arkham style, but maybe a little more groundbased. Killercroc not being a huge ass crocodrile monster, but as it was in the beggining. Same as BTAS. Or even JOKER.

I really liked the tone in Batman: Arkham Asylum/City. That's a Batman that I could see used in cross-over movies as well as stand alone. They also did a great job with Joker, Hugo Strange and Harley.

Batman is a fantastical character, he should be that way in the reboot
Of course a touch of realism will be nice, I don't want a moment like in Justice League Doom when Bruce [blackout]saved himself from the grave only by a key and his bleeding fist[/blackout]

Hell no to Burton. It needs to move forward on film. Arkham is the way to go. The games did Freeze, Joker, Harley (well she was a bit annoying thanks to the voice-acting). A couple of other rogues were done well even if they weren't shown enough. But there's a great amount of villains that were done horribly, which is where the Animated Series comes in for reference.

Maybe it's just my tastes but im afraid that the "monsters" of Gotham City will make this franchise return to the Burton era. I cant get past the idea that they'll come off silly. Therefore giving us the dark, fantastical yet campy and ridiculous movies that i thought were over-with 20 years ago.

Hell no to Burton. It needs to move forward on film. Arkham is the way to go. The games did Freeze, Joker, Harley (well she was a bit annoying thanks to the voice-acting). A couple of other rogues were done well even if they weren't shown enough. But there's a great amount of villains that were done horribly, which is where the Animated Series comes in for reference.

Maybe it's just my tastes but im afraid that the "monsters" of Gotham City will make this franchise return to the Burton era. I cant get past the idea that they'll come off silly. Therefore giving us the dark, fantastical yet campy and ridiculous movies that i thought were over-with 20 years ago.

I don't see them going the cheesy/comedy route again. They know what audiences want now. They want a grounded character, so I wouldn't worry about the return of magical kitties and plane-destroying handguns.

Thank god!

I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed when they find out their Clayface, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, etc aren't featured in the upcoming reboot. Sure the city may look a bit more gothic and i can see Mr. Freeze (a slightly different version) appearing. But when they find out that they'll be sticking to the realistic characters like Riddler...they're gonna be dissapointed.

There's a lot of people on here who are convinced that it needs to go the way of fantasy monsters, aliens (maybe Justice League but not in Gotham City) and tons of magic.

Thank god!

I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed when they find out their Clayface, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, etc aren't featured in the upcoming reboot. Sure the city may look a bit more gothic and i can see Mr. Freeze (a slightly different version) appearing. But when they find out that they'll be sticking to the realistic characters like Riddler...they're gonna be dissapointed.

There's a lot of people on here who are convinced that it needs to go the way of fantasy monsters, aliens (maybe Justice League but not in Gotham City) and tons of magic.

I can see them going a little bit more of a fantastical route than the Dark Knight series, but I think the characters will be taken a lot more seriously. I'd really like for them to use Hugo Strange and the Riddler, but Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze are ones that I think can be adapted.

For example, Killer Croc doesn't need to be an intelligent crocodile-humanoid, it can simply be used as a mutant crocodile that Strange sicks on Batman during an encounter. Sure, it's not the Killer Croc that we're used to, but it's a nod to another villain on screen.

Croc is far more plausible than Clayface.

He's just some huge African American with a real skin disease that turns it all green and scaley

Croc is far more plausible than Clayface.

He's just some huge African American with a real skin disease that turns it all green and scaley

Yeah, I guess I don't really think of him to much like that. What I kind of worry about is him looking too much like the Lizard from The Amazing Spider-man (comics).

I can't see them using Strange unless it has to do with creating Monster Men. The "Prey" angle was kind of covered in Rises and unless they're going for a Arkham City style adaptation where there are SEVERAL of the rogues around (including Strange pulling the strings) it looks like he'll be experimenting on dudes and turning them into freaks like Clayface.

The concept sounds great for animation, but i can't help but feel it'll come off goofy like the Burton movies. The man beast stuff never comes off serious IMO. Especially in comic book movies.

Killer Croc, in any future film, should just be a huge african-american guy who has a skin condition and that's it. No green. No monster transformation. He's a gangster looking thug, henchmen, bodyguard, who has nothing more but a supporting role. That's how i see the character working in any movie.

Last edited:
I can't see them using Strange unless it has to do with creating Monster Men. The "Prey" angle was kind of covered in Rises and unless they're going for a Arkham City style adaptation where there are SEVERAL of the rogues around (including Strange pulling the strings) it looks like he'll be experimenting on dudes and turning them into freaks like Clayface.

The concept sounds great for animation, but i can't help but feel it'll come off goofy like the Burton movies. The man beast stuff never comes off serious IMO. Especially in comic book movies.

Killer Croc, in any future film, should just be a huge african-american guy who has a skin condition and that's it. No green. No monster transformation. He's a gangster looking thug, henchmen, bodyguard, who has nothing more but a supporting role. That's how i see the character working in any movie.

Hope not much of the Batman crowd saw The Cape on NBC. Scales is almost exactly that.

That's what Croc has
nonepidermolytic-palmoplantar-keratoderma-10488_0.jpg

I think he should be a psychopath. Very much human appearance. But with bits and blobs of that covering his face and body, not entirely though. Filed and pointed teeth, so he can bite people.

You could mix in role in the Joker novel, where he eats people and disposes of evidence for the mob. But say he's a proper, chained up psycho, hidden in the Penguin's Iceberg Lounge. I'm not asking for the monster that he was in the Arkham games, but something that aludes to that in his role.

seeds7.jpeg

Have you guys ever seen those Bat in the Sun films? I think that they capture the essence of Batman very well although they are a little on the corny side. I think a nice Hollywood touch would make these films great. No trunks of course. And I would prefer a black belt as opposed to gold or bronze.

batman_cityofscars.png

I've mentioned my preference before: Killer Croc as "merely" a deformed giant of a man whose made a career out of being psychopathic muscle. He's a Bond-style Giant Mook, working as the right hand of some mastermind or other.

As for Hugo Strange. . . I'd really like to see him, but the problem is, his greatest potential is as a psychological expert brought in by the police to profile and pursue the mysterious vigilante known as the Batman. Which, implicitly, requires that Batman be hunted by the police, and not in any desultory manner. He could have been a great potential villain for a post-Dark Knight Batman movie, but that route is closed now. And in the reboot? I'd prefer he not be a majorly hunted outlaw during his career.

Clayface is pretty much impossible if you're gonna keep the film grounded, but damn he could look cool i a huge, expensive CGi scene!

Clayface is pretty much impossible if you're gonna keep the film grounded, but damn he could look cool i a huge, expensive CGi scene!

Right on. I can already see it now - Batman takes Mr. Freeze's gun and freezes Clayface, then shatters him.

I think if they want to make a batman that can exist in the JL movie
universe, they are going to have to go the sci-fi but realistic sci-fi route.
I mean isnt this a comic book forum.
This focus on realism that nolan has created is hurting the genre in some respects. I dont want the campy burton batman either.

One place, they should look is the Blade trilogy,and their
explanation for the vampires,being a genetic blood disorder.
I really didnt need to suspend reality like I needed to in twilight.
Underworld is a good example as well.

They can also take some lessons from the fight scenes in blade.
Wesly snipes is a real martial artist so his moves looked some what believable.
The fight TDKR were horrible,the fights between bane and batman looked liked something off youtube played by kids who had been taking tabeo on saturday
for three months. I mean bane and batman supposedly suppose to be some of the best martial artist in the world. The quality of the fight scenes sucked in
a effort to make them realistic

If they wanted to make the fight scenes realstic,they could have look at MMA movies like backdown or undisputed. Yes more sci-fi, more real fight scenes please,plus they have to make a batman that exist in the same universe as wonderwoman,green lantern and Superman any way for the JL movie.

like undispusted

I like it. But to differentiate a film Croc, he shouldn't be green like that. He should be black, and the scabs on his body be greenish and disgusting. Small patches on his head, and huger ones on his torso. It'd make him more disturbing.

As I said, I want all DC films to look like MOS...realistic and stylized.

Indeed. Man of Steel could very well become the prime example of how a film could have a realistic tone to it and still have a stylized look. While The Dark Knight Trilogy relied on more realism and very less stylistic styles/choices, Man of Steel could be that example in moving forward with how to deal with the Batman reboot or any other reboots of any superhero. Imo, I wanted The Amazing Spider-Man to be that shining example, but it certainly was not.

Honestly it does not matter if it's goofy,realistic,gritty etc,what does matter is:

Consistency in whatever tone they choose to employ
Villains should be competently handled
Good story
Originality

That's it really.

If they try to sell me camp or slapstick humor, I'll punch 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"