Batman reboot: Should it be based on realism, dark imagination, or silliness

Silliness! My dream cast would include Paul Rudd as Batman, Steve Carell as Alfred, the guy who play McLovin as Robin, and Seth Rogen as the Joker! I mean, that would seriously be EPIC!!!

Jk... dark imagination.

Last edited:
Dark imagination and PLAUSIBILITY. Something explainable, but not totally real.

Nolans realism was amazing. But it was a LOT to ingest. Give the fans a break, give a story to follow, not a reality. Does that make sense?

Silliness! My dream cast would be Paul Rudd as Batman, Steve Carell as Alfred, the guy who play McLovin as Robin, and Seth Rogen as the Joker! I mean, that would be EPIC!!!

Jk... dark imagination.

Looking at the world created by Nolan-Snyder-Goyer which is grounded, it doubt that the new Batman movie will be different in tone than that, the new batman movie will be set in the world similar in tone - look like MOS.

I expect the Batman reboot to be be in tune with the new MOS movie and some what look like TASM movie, it will not look like Arkham Asylum games.

Bruce Begins, youve seen virtually nothing from MOS, why are you making assumptions already?

It could very well be like Arkham Asylum, we dont have any idea of the new direction so I wouldnt rule anything out.

An insider from WB (dunno how reputable) said the WB is keen on making the new series like Arkham Asylum.

Those games are the most successful superhero games of all time, and they made WB a ridiculous amount of money, I see NO REASON why WB wouldnt want to style their new series like that. Its grounded in reality enough to fit in with a Kryptonian hero and escaped villains from the Phantom Zone..

Judging by your avatar and sig, your another Nolan fanboy you want another Nolanized trilogy. Thats not at all what I want or hope we get. Thatd be another rehash, I dont want characters to have to be drastically changed to fit the new directors vision, I think the new director should be able to faithfully adapt the way Bat villains were supposed to be adapted without changing them drastically

Oh and youre getting tone confused with visuals as bolded

Im a massive Nolanfanboy but i also don't want a rehash. I must say that i AM skeptical though. I think it would be a mistake to keep it grounded like Nolans and im not so sure if they'll do anything different.

I just read Goyers new quote about MOS being written like the Dark Knight Trilogy (which excites me because that's the take i want to see on Superman). But when i take that quote then look at the trailers...maybe WB just doesnt feel comfortable venturing out into the fantastical just yet.

Then it's a contradiction too cuz the next Batman will exist in a Justice League. So it's a bit confusing.

Just how reality based can you make Superman anyway? The question is will they act as if Superman is the only alien to exist? Well that doesnt make sense because you have Green Lantern in the same universe as well and he has those connections. OK i can see them holding back on Aquaman or Martian Manhunter then possibly making Flash/Wonder Woman much more realistic. But it's not enough to keep the new Batman from far-fetched writing.

So my gut tells me Batman will be serious, have grit but some fantasy and that's why we're latching onto Arkham City. Even just a portion of Arkham Asylum/City would be fine by me. It's a universe that could include the odd alien (JLA) or a Gotham that could include Mr Freeze. I'm perfectly fine with that. No monster-men roaming around like Spider-Man, no overuse of alien invasions or mutants like Marvel, but maybe a little advanced technologically speaking. Sounds perfect.

Will MOS be seperate from Justice League? Will Justice League be its own thing and seperate from future Batman movies? Will it all be one thing? I dont think WB even knows right now.

Last edited:
I just want Gotham to look something like what New Yorker's in the 30's envisioned the city to look like in the future.

NewYork-1930s.jpg

medium_NYC-1980.jpg

The city can be plausible, by saying it's the most unique and Gothic city in the world. Not just by saying, it's a nightmarish looking place.

Im a massive Nolanfanboy but i also don't want a rehash. I must say that i AM skeptical though. I think it would be a mistake to keep it grounded like Nolans and im not so sure if they'll do anything different.

I just read Goyers new quote about MOS being written like the Dark Knight Trilogy (which excites me because that's the take i want to see on Superman). But when i take that quote then look at the trailers...maybe WB just doesnt feel comfortable venturing out into the fantastical just yet.

Then it's a contradiction too cuz the next Batman will exist in a Justice League. So it's a bit confusing.

Just how reality based can you make Superman anyway? The question is will they act as if Superman is the only alien to exist? Well that doesnt make sense because you have Green Lantern in the same universe as well and he has those connections. OK i can see them holding back on Aquaman or Martian Manhunter then possibly making Flash/Wonder Woman much more realistic. But it's not enough to keep the new Batman from far-fetched writing.

So my gut tells me Batman will be serious, have grit but some fantasy and that's why we're latching onto Arkham City. Even just a portion of Arkham Asylum/City would be fine by me. It's a universe that could include the odd alien (JLA) or a Gotham that could include Mr Freeze. I'm perfectly fine with that. No monster-men roaming around like Spider-Man, no overuse of alien invasions or mutants like Marvel, but maybe a little advanced technologically speaking. Sounds perfect.

Will MOS be seperate from Justice League? Will Justice League be its own thing and seperate from future Batman movies? Will it all be one thing? I dont think WB even knows right now.

I feel kind of the same. I would love to see a Superman film with the same approach. Note that same approach doesn't mean Superman will be "dark&gritty", it means taking the spirit of the character and put it through a verisimilitude lenses. If I had it my way I would go for separated movie franchises done this way, than setting up the path for Justice League. Not that it wouldn't be good, but that's the way I would like it.

And as for the next Batman film, while I think it is too soon for a new Batman series, the next should be more fantastical sci-fi themed. Just create a more literal comic book world feeling. Bring back Mr. Freeze and his tragic story, have a shapeshifting Clayface, an animalesque Killer Croc, plant controlling Poison Ivy, flying Man-Bat across Gotham's sky, a mind controlling Mad Hatter.

As for the more sophisticated bad guys, give the Riddler a proper treatment, bring Penguin as a mob boss disguised as a gentleman night club owner. Take the manipulative Hugo Strange along for the ride too. If the Ventriloquist appears I would be so happy. And not forget the mob.

Expand the allies. Bring Robin, Barbara Gordon, Leslie Thompkins. Avoid an origin story, get things running fast. Setting up things for future installments may not be a bad idea.

And create the atmosphere that allow this and treat it with respect. Respecting the material should be essential. The light hearted Brave and The Bold cartoon was awesome and it was respectful for the character. It can be done. And this way, it would be easier to mesh with Justice League.

The best thing we could do for Gotham's image is put a bullet through that clown Nolan's ear & bury his three abortions with him.
Put a bullet through that clowns ear?? And bury his movies with him??? Ummm...mods, ban this guy would you?

I honestly don't get all the hate for Nolan.

The man inspired a new format of the superhero genre, where things are more respected than ever before. He pulled Batman from the **** that Schumacer ****ed him into.

I know his realism wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but he's done so much and people should respect it. It's why we have awesome stories and writing, complex plots and characters. It's why most want to see Batman deal with real threats nowadays and not Joker just blowing people up with whoope cushions.

That man saved Batman, and gave some and more respect than things could have possibly had.

Maybe you don't get all the hate because there...isn't very much?

Yeah, pretty much lol

But the fact it exists in the first place, no matter how big or small, is annoying.

Huh, why can't people have their own opinion. I loved what Nolan has done making comic book movies serious but it's just not everyones cup of tea. Why can't people just like what they like. Why does everyone have to agree with you. What do you care if a few people on the internet are not worshiping the ground Nolan walks on because he told a comic book story. Batman is fiction and if the piece of fiction was not interpreted in the way you saw fit you don't like it. I think the reality or grounded or whatever has nothing to do with the hate. It's the blatant disrespect to keep some core values of Batman mythos in his work. I didn't hate Nolan's run but am glad he is done. His borefest of movies featuring every single other character in the world except Batman was downright terrible by the third film.

What I want more than anything from a reboot is truthfulness, not realism necessarily. What I mean by that is fantastical elements are more than welcome as long as I can believe them within the internal logic of the film. If a scientist turns into a giant bat monster, awesome, as long as the characters in the world react the way they would in the real world. Beyond that, I'd say if someone could mix Nolan's understanding of character and story with Burton's eye, and add to that a serious martial arts action flair, we'll be in business.

Huh, why can't people have their own opinion. I loved what Nolan has done making comic book movies serious but it's just not everyones cup of tea. Why can't people just like what they like. Why does everyone have to agree with you. What do you care if a few people on the internet are not worshiping the ground Nolan walks on because he told a comic book story. Batman is fiction and if the piece of fiction was not interpreted in the way you saw fit you don't like it. I think the reality or grounded or whatever has nothing to do with the hate. It's the blatant disrespect to keep some core values of Batman mythos in his work. I didn't hate Nolan's run but am glad he is done. His borefest of movies featuring every single other character in the world except Batman was downright terrible by the third film.
I don't care if people didn't like Nolan's take on things. But he did inspire a hell of a lot of good for people to follow, future directors, writers. This can only be good for the fans, surely?

Last edited:
Again that is your opinion that he has done good. Look at Avengers they took a whole different route from Nolan. Personally I think Avengers was horrible and Batman was just boring the point is Nolan did not inspire anything. If, I say I don't like Nolan and some others do then why would we think it's good for the fans? In conclusion not everyone thinks Nolan is good for movies or good for the fans.

I assumed by Dark Imagination you meant Burtonverse/Batman: The Animated Series, so I went with that one. Reboot needs to get out of the realism realm (well, realistic for Batman) and allow for villains like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, etc.

I'd like plausibility over realism.

Realistically, there's no chance of there ever being a Clayface or Mr. Freeze. There's no realistic explanation to them.

But there's a plausible chance they could be. Just some realistic sounding, plausible explantion. That allows these characters to exist within the world. They shouldn't come to existence just because.

Like that crazy formula idea that Peter and Connors concoct in TASM. It's no way it could happen just yet in life, if ever for that matter. But it could possibly.

So that's fantasy and realism mixed together.

What I imagine as stated above.

I want to see Nolan's Gotham again...yup.

But I want to see it EXPANDED. Then I want it to be turned into a HELL HOLE. I want to see his respectable city, be splashed with graffiti and paint. I want barbed wire around schools. I want more Gothic buildings, being left to rot. Everything beautiful about Nolan's Gotham City being almost dead.

So again, that's Nolan's realism, combined with dark imagination.

Again that is your opinion that he has done good. Look at Avengers they took a whole different route from Nolan. Personally I think Avengers was horrible and Batman was just boring the point is Nolan did not inspire anything. If, I say I don't like Nolan and some others do then why would we think it's good for the fans? In conclusion not everyone thinks Nolan is good for movies or good for the fans.

Whether you like it or not, he did influence the genre.

Did you not notice that someone said "put a bullet" in Nolan's head in this very thread?

Ridrigo is talking about that kind of hyperbolic BS.

But that guy was a troll.

He didn't accurately represent the Batman fans who openly question Nolan's version.

People have there opinions on Nolan and his work. I respect that. Last night I was browsing through my movies and came across all my Batman movies.

And this thought just popped into my head when I saw Nolan's stuff
"This is spoiled by too much realism"

Honest to God.

But I was defending Nolan because he has done a lot of good. Take his away just his realism, and look at the potential he has left behind for us to go on.

That, and somebody who wanted to put a bullet through his brain and bury him with his Batman abortion or something. Yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"