• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS Batman/Superman Movie - Cinematography?

Jeff Cronenweth has unfortunately embraced digital since reuniting with David Fincher on The Social Network and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I don't think he's shot on film since that five year hiatus he took in 2005.

All of Snyder's films, save Legends of the Guardians, have shot on film. I see no reason why he would switch to digital for SvB -- especially after how well MOS did. The number of DPs sticking to film is dwindling...

He's still got a big hand in the cinematography. Fong didn't work on Dawn of the Dead, but it still had Snyder's signature aesthetic.

Still, I agree. Fong should definitely come back.

Agreed on both counts. I think MOS's shaky cam look worked for it because it was pretty much a disaster flick, but I don't think it'd work for a more personal story.

Yep, bring Fong back.

LF:
tumblr_lgvlnmFAjC1qavsh3o1_500.gif

Mokri
superman-manofsteel-124.jpg

Kind of no contest.

Also, I think Batman NEEDS a sense of atmosphere. MOS had good cinematography, but lacked that "punch" that Fong adds to it.

Though I wish ZS' color grading will be natural this time around.

Last edited:
Mokri is good though in MOS the handheld shaky camera and desaturated color palette made things look worse, both the decisions were made by the director not the cinematographer.

Last edited:
Yup.

Mokri's cinematography looks very natural, whatever issues people have with the "look of the movie" are down to director's preferences like hand held camera work, de-saturated colors.

Cinematography isn't Snyder's strength? Wut. If anything, cinematography and overall visual directing is his biggest strength.

Anyway, on the topic, like I wrote in another thread:

I loved the camera work in Man of Steel personally. But I also think it was more of a special choice that was a great fit for that particular story they were telling. I don't think the style will completely carry over into a Superman/Batman film. Changing it up a bit, to fit the quite different film from MoS that it's bound to be, would be nice I think.

I don't and will never get why handheld, single camera and such are so generally disliked everywhere I go. Would be so boring if every film was all clinical and stylized. I like more than one way of doing things. I'm a fan of all approaches as long as they fit and are well executed. Which it was in MoS imo!

This. I loved the way MOS looked. It looked so natural and that was mostly due to Snyder's visual style and Mokri's way to photographing shot. Personally, I wouldn't mind if either the style from MOS returned or the more stylized way of filmmaking like in Watchmen. Personally, I think we'll see a bit of both in this film.

This. I loved the way MOS looked. It looked so natural and that was mostly due to Snyder's visual style and Mokri's way to photographing shot. Personally, I wouldn't mind if either the style from MOS returned or the more stylized way of filmmaking like in Watchmen. Personally, I think we'll see a bit of both in this film.

:wow: The best of both worlds. The sweeping beauty and warm imagery of MOS, with the striking, glossy and posterized quality of Watchmen?

Yes please :word:

MOS has beautiful cinematography

Superman-Man-of-Steel-Fate-of-Your-Planet-Official-Trailer-HD-1904117.png

That whole bit where he's in slow motion and turns towards the camera is absolutely spellbinding. Reminded me of a similar scene in SR.

I wouldn't mind, whoever ends up lensing this film, to incorporate bits and pieces of Mokri and Fong's styles throughout. Maybe have the Batman scenes shot similarly to Watchmen, while the Superman/Clark scenes retain that natural handheld style from MOS.

That whole bit where he's in slow motion and turns towards the camera is absolutely spellbinding. Reminded me of a similar scene in SR.

I wouldn't mind, whoever ends up lensing this film, to incorporate bits and pieces of Mokri and Fong's styles throughout. Maybe have the Batman scenes shot similarly to Watchmen, while the Superman/Clark scenes retain that natural handheld style from MOS.

This is exactly what I would love to see. It would look very unique, yet, natural.

My only wants are:
More vibrant than MOS, color-wise
No shaky cam

It was very annoying in the first few minutes of MOS. The camera should not be shaking during peaceful conversations

I have never heard anyone say that before. :dry:

Usually that's the only good thing people have to say about him. You don't think Dawn of the Dead, 300, Sucker Punch or Watchmen were well shot?
Agreed that is the strong point of snyder... epic shots.... the only thing that many said (didn't bother me) was the shaky cam... but for the rest it was awesome indeed...

I really didn't mind the shaky-cam at all. Maybe only during the interrogation with Clark, Lois, and the military.

I honestly never really noticed the shaky cam except in the beginning and that shot from behind of Superman walking in the snow.

Watchmen's style is more than perfect for Batman, and MOS style's usually good for Superman. Only natural colors this time should happen :yay:

I really dislike the Watchmen style. It's so stilted. Over shot, over lit, over directed. Not a fan.

I much, MUCH prefer the naturalistic style of MoS. Just lessen the shakyness (there were several instances where it was too much) and completely drop those sudden zoom ins, and I'll be a happy chap.

And I'd like it to be a bit brighter this time, but Batman's presence and the overall tone may necessitate otherwise.

All I ask for is brighter colors, but with Batman coming in, that seems unlikely.

Why not different colors for different scenes/characters?

Like Batman in the shadows, and Superman in the light?

superman-batman-hc121.jpg

I'd like to see the cinematographer of Cloud Atlas hired.

Why not different colors for different scenes/characters?

Like Batman in the shadows, and Superman in the light?

superman-batman-hc121.jpg

Again, this is all I want to see. Two different schemes for both characters, but keeping it consistent at the same time.

Yeah I think the cinematography will be used nicely to set the worlds of Gotham and Metropolis apart.

I hope shaky cam doesn't make a return, it instantly takes me out of the film because when you notice it, you're no longer 'in' the scene because your too busy noticing the damn shaking. To me it almost seems like Synder was trying too hard to get away from his signature, highly stylised slow mo reputation by going for some understated way of shooting.

I also hope the hand held camera doesn't make a return. It made some shots feel really claustrophobic. Metropolis felt less like a huge city and more like a few square blocks because everything was shot so close up, we got to see so little.

The movie needs a more classic look. Nothing that could make it look outdated in a few years from now. No shakey cam and no desaturated colours where everything looks muted and dull. I want it to be brighter and warmer and for both Batman and Superman's costumes to really stand out.

I don't suppose Roger Deakins is available?

Deakin's shoots on Digital. I HIGHLY doubt Snyder will make that transition, even if Larry Fong does return. The cinematographers and directors who shoot on Film are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Yeah I think the cinematography will be used nicely to set the worlds of Gotham and Metropolis apart.

I hope shaky cam doesn't make a return, it instantly takes me out of the film because when you notice it, you're no longer 'in' the scene because your too busy noticing the damn shaking. To me it almost seems like Synder was trying too hard to get away from his signature, highly stylised slow mo reputation by going for some understated way of shooting.

I also hope the hand held camera doesn't make a return. It made some shots feel really claustrophobic. Metropolis felt less like a huge city and more like a few square blocks because everything was shot so close up, we got to see so little.

THIS. Batman swooping practically cries for the "Snyder slowmo."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"