• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS Batman/Superman Movie - Cinematography?

THIS. Batman swooping practically cries for the "Snyder slowmo."

Yup. I've always pictured what Snyder directing Batman will look like, especially in 3D. Just imagine Batman throwing Batarangs in slow-mo AND in 3D?

Deakin's shoots on Digital. I HIGHLY doubt Snyder will make that transition, even if Larry Fong does return. The cinematographers and directors who shoot on Film are getting slimmer and slimmer.

I think Deakins would go back to film, if only for the next Coen Brothers film he does. But otherwise, he's abandoned 35mm for the Arri Alexa -- which is an great camera nonetheless.

I think more cinematographers are being flexible with the cameras they shoot with, but a lot are being forced to go digital because the studio wants it (and they don't have enough clout to say otherwise). Dean Cundey is one such DP who's flexible, but he prefers the look of 35mm.

And some other DPs, like Roger Pratt, Wally Pfister, Bruno Delbonnel and Janusz Kaminski stubbornly stick with film -- even if it costs them their next gig.

i do hope snyder does visuals like this for batman
tumblr_mdaryhkeOZ1qbymseo1_500.gif

I also think the following names would provide interesting aesthetics to this film:

- Mandy Walker
- Amy Vincent
- Bruno Delbonnel
- Andrew Lesnie
- Roger Pratt
- Dean Cundey (would love to see him do another BIG movie)
- Michael Seresin
- Javier Aguirresarobe
- Barry Peterson

Like I've said before, I'd like to see an increase in saturation. I also don't want Snyder to revert back to the green screen/sound stage/ultra stylized look he's used for some of his other movies, but I don't think I need to worry about that.

If you watch the BTS of Watchmen, Snyder constantly is referring to Batman and The Dark Knight Returns when talking about Nite Owl.

The visuals in Watchmen never seize to send chills down my back!

Snyder is such a true visual artist, of course, having a great DP helps but his compositions & framings are always gorgeous. Man Of Steel looks absolutely stunning too (and Watchmen yeah).

I admire him as well for being one of those directors along with Chris Nolan, Jeff Nichols, Bennett Miller, Tarantino, James Ponsoldt, O'Russell or JJ Abrams to keep shooting film and 35 mm film is definitely still very strong in the industry.

Digital can look great, whether it is Alexa or Dragon, but film just looks better. Digital has no soul, it's just pixels, there's no magic happening. Film has emulsion, a chemical reaction, it has a unique texture to it, it's magical. And digital is not always the way to go, of course depends of the budget but if you really want it, you figure a way to get it.

Deakins embracing the Alexa kind of makes me sad, Prisoners & Skyfall look excellent, but they just look digital & his latest Unbroken looks completely drab & bland in its latest trailer.

The Director's 'eye' and pallate, intuative wish and shot selection is governed by the DP's ability to translate that information. Fong I think is a stronger bet than MOS based on the relationship and results from previous work together.

Watchmen asthetically is a beautiful film, it's feel, use of depth of field and lens utilisation are amazing and the same approach with the strengths of MOS then we are in for a treat.

I would just hope the shaky-cam appraoch is reduced and is used less, as the fight co-ordination of Watchmen was spot on to carry over to DoJ, and the Smallville battle of MOS has equal merit.

Fong shot the MOS Soldier of Steel promos as well as the Carl Jr's commercial.

Count me in as someone who prefers Film to Digital photography overall.

I am shooting my next film on a black magic and having shot my first feature on SD the difference is immense, to shoot HD with the feel of 35mm is a dream come true...

If this film retains the same aesthetic MOS had beat for beat, I won't complain as I thought the film looked stunning. Since it sounds like they're keeping the same aesthetic (for the most part), warmer colors would be nice.

Snyder uses too much green screen for my tastes, but MoS is definitely an improvement from 300.

Some of the images Fong and Snyder created for Watchmen were like poetry for the eyes.

KV09nZG.gif

OARZmDB.gif

zHxt3no.gif

QX4nHZe.jpg

What luck, I just found this video a day ago and wanted to post it here but couldn't find the right thread to post it to. And here we have a perfect thread for such a video back from the dead. :)

Enjoy and watch on YT in HD for maximum effect (warning though, the sound is a bit high at some points)

[YT]wmxAUJ93FqE[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"