BvS Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

I don't think a man who has spent decades training and honing his fighting skills, and has been applying them on street thugs night in and night out for his entire crime-fighting career, would suddenly resort to straight out brawling and throwing hay-makers when he gets a few gray hairs.

Batman should never fight like Bale in the TDK trilogy. (or at least be filmed that sloppily)

I don't think a man who has spent decades training and honing his fighting skills, and has been applying them on street thugs night in and night out for his entire crime-fighting career, would suddenly resort to straight out brawling and throwing hay-makers when he gets a few gray hairs.

Batman should never fight like Bale in the TDK trilogy. (or at least be filmed that sloppily)

isn't he semi-retired though, or supposedly semi-retired? even having some time out of the "field" i think would resort to him just being a complete brawler; plus I'm not saying he should "throw may-makers". His punches should be more focused, but still, he should be more of a brawler.

Last edited:
The Arkham games, as a collective, are the best visual representation of a modern batman and his fighting style that we've been given outside of comics IMO.

isn't he semi-retired though, or supposedly semi-retired? even having some time out of the "field" i think would resort to him just being a complete brawler; plus I'm not not he should "throw may-makers". His punches should be more focused, but still, he should be more of a brawler.

If he's trained all his life, it's not likely he'd forget all the martial arts he's learned. Although, that's somewhat irrelevant considering they had him fight the same way no matter how old he was.

Whatever the style, I've always envisioned a "slow-mo" esq visual type of fighting like in 300.

While that does make sense, I think this Batman should be more "light on his feet" than Nolan's simply because we haven't seen that yet with him and it's about time.

If we had a younger Batman, I would want that too. I'm just concerned on how much "light" on his feet Ben's Batman would even be considering the age as well as the storyline reasons of Batman being a veteran hero

If we had a younger Batman, I would want that too. I'm just concerned on how much "light" on his feet Ben's Batman would even be considering the age as well as the storyline reasons of Batman being a veteran hero

It depends on how old they want him to be. Affleck is in his 40s. I think they'll probably have batman in his 40s. I imagine batman being active at least into his 50's. So, this batman isn't really at the end of his career yet. We don't know how his weariness is going to be used either. They might be talking mostly about him being weary in an emotional sense. He's fought hard for Gotham and is starting to wonder if he'll ever conquer all the bad guys that pop up. He's led a hard life and might be exhausted with the proliferation of crime despite his efforts. He's made progress, but at the cost of his own life. Perhaps he hasn't done much besides fight crime for a decade or more.

Either way, he should still have some badass in him. It should come to him like a dance he's done many times before. Things he trained hard to be able to do back in the day are almost effortless to him now.

If they're faithful to the comics, Bruce isn't the type of guy who would slow down that easily. He's always at the top of his game physically.

When they say "tired and weary" I hope they're referring to his mental, emotional state (never-ending war on crime taking its toll) and not his physical condition. It's about time we saw the dangerous, peak form of Batman on screen.

Batman's fighting style should mimic what was shown in Captain America - The Winter Soldier. That movie really captured the exquisiteness, fluidity and grace of hand-to-hand combat that Batman should be known for. As MrsKent26 said, the Arkham Games also do a great job of showing hand-to-hand combat. For instance,

1369142967_tumblr_mmwhbx6Y4p1rmsfqdo3_250.gif

deathstroke_vs_batman_by_tsotne_senpai-d65hbpx.gif

^ I think the first step towards getting that kind of fluid movement for a live-action batman lies with the costume designers. I hope they were directed to keep action scenes in mind. He needs to be able to move in the suit this time.

Maybe its "new toy" syndrome...I don't think WINTER SOLDIER broke any new ground when it comes to fighting.

Fast, fluid hand to hand combat on film isn't new, nor is acrobatic combat really that unknown to the superhero genre.

It's been done on film before, including at points in BATMAN and its sequels.

Batman's fighting style should mimic what was shown in Captain America - The Winter Soldier. That movie really captured the exquisiteness, fluidity and grace of hand-to-hand combat that Batman should be known for.
100 per cent agreed. We need some of that stuff.

Maybe its "new toy" syndrome...I don't think WINTER SOLDIER broke any new ground when it comes to fighting.

Fast, fluid hand to hand combat on film isn't new, nor is acrobatic combat really that unknown to the superhero genre.

I don't think it's simply about Cap2 showing us something new. It's that his style would be well suited to batman. In fact, that style would suit batman much more than the style used for his last trilogy. I know Cap is enhanced and batman isn't, but that style could be easily modified to suit a regular human. All the huge leaps could be switched to leaps with a grapple gun, etc.

It's rare, and even rarer to see it done well.

Just because it has been done before, doesn't mean it has been done well. I love the Nolan Batman Trilogy, but the fighting style could've been filmed/choreographed a lot better. That was attributed to multiple factors: suit being too rigid and tough to maneuvre in, not being filmed well, etc.

The difference between CATWS and the Batman films is that I never once thought "well, this is most certainly and obviously choreographed" when I saw hand-to-hand combat in CATWS. I can't really say the same for the Nolan films.

It's not new, but it hasn't been applied to a CBM in that manner ever I don't think.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Martial Arts, but they're not making a Martial Arts film. It's a comic book movie meant to entertain the greatest amount of people possible. If they utilize an art that is too fast or complicated for the general audience to realize what is happening, let alone marvel at it, they will be considered an utter failure. No matter how advanced or unique the martial art is.

This.

I think showing an advanced style of martial arts like the ones I mentioned though if filmed right would impress an audience. It doesn't have to be a martial arts film to portray an impressive advanced style. True that a general audience if they saw some of the martial arts from Indonesia/China like the Kuntao and Silat would just be like "What just happened..." but Snyder has used slow motion very well to capture the fights in 300. If he used slow motion sequences to show advanced fighting techniques I think everyone would get it.

Yep. As long as the end product is visually stunning for everyone, I'd totally endorse them using Silat or any other highly advanced style. Just make it look good :)

You seem quite knowledgable in the Martial Arts. What schools do you follow?

Show me an example of hand to hand fighting done better than TWS in a superhero movie.

Yep. As long as the end product is visually stunning for everyone, I'd totally endorse them using Silat or any other highly advanced style. Just make it look good :)

You seem quite knowledgable in the Martial Arts. What schools do you follow?

I started doing Wing Chung a long time ago and started after that doing Silat, Kuntao, and done some bagua as well. I think those styles are definitely under-represented in movies and look fantastic. They are fast, aggressive, and most importantly very few people know about it, so it makes it even better looking when someone uses it.

Show me an example of hand to hand fighting done better than TWS in a superhero movie.

define better
-more impressive to the audience
-more technically accurate
-believable
-etc

For example there is Blade(1&2), Daredevil, Watchmen, MOS(to a degree).
Ergo define better.

That being said, I believe his point was on the matter of 'all that new'.

Last edited:
define better

-more impressive to the audience
-more technically accurate
-etc

For example there is Blade(1&2), Daredevil, Watchmen, MOS(to a degree).
Ergo define better.

I would agree, Blade 1 and 2 both have good fight scenes. I don't know that you would include Sherlock Holmes as a "superhero", I don't really read comics but I do think he has been on the Hype, and Rorshach fighting the police was good too.

1:58 to 2:10 to those who don't know is just him fighting, but to those who know, I am sure you will agree with me here, notice the constant fluid motion. Not much foot going on in terms of takedowns or anything, but constant fluid movement.

[YT]watch?v=ELSGwz7xTmM[/YT]

But if better is what impresses the general audience, well that may be something completely different. That may be high kicks and spinning kicks, and a lot of useless bouncing around that against a real martial artist might just result on a broken spine.

Notice the footwork. Blade has some of the better footwork as far as comic book movie superheroes go.

[YT]watch?v=VA0Ch2_2o7I[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"