BvS Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

As long as it is clear concise and quick, I dont care what the exact fighting style is .

[YT]5Nrw6LLWuIw[/YT]

Something like this where the brutality and intensity isn't eclipsed by the grace of the art form. And yes, I find it distracting when people backflip all over the place ;)

LOL ! great post.

Wow, while I wouldn't mind seeing Batman use some of Segall's
Aikido, I would hate to see him pick up some acting tips from him.
OUch ! Steven Segall can take a crappy line like that.....and make it worse.
(whereas Patrick Stewart or Benedict Cumberbatch could probably make
it sound like music )

Hopefully Batman doesn't have crap lines like that in the film, otherwise
he won't need kryptonite to make Superman cringe (or the audience for that matter).

Great post, thanks man !

[YT]5Nrw6LLWuIw[/YT]

Something like this where the brutality and intensity isn't eclipsed by the grace of the art form. And yes, I find it distracting when people backflip all over the place ;)

I really don't want to see many scenes where Batman is standing there trading punches, etc. because that doesn't happen, and the footwork there is not very good either. Just hands, and if you turn in someone's face like that, 2 times, show your opponent your back, you should get hurt. If I were fighting with someone (this would be playing with someone) but if I were "fighting" someone like that and they turned their back on me I would break his spine at the neck on the first turn. Show someone your spine in a fight and a good fighter will make you pay for it.

[YT]watch?v=Vh2ylzCvvOE[/YT]

This done aggressively and fast would look very explosive but realistic, and to the audience they wouldn't even catch it but those who know what is going on would notice the technique, footwork, etc. And that is more realistic than standing in place fighting and making it look like movie fighting. Make it look real!

tumblr_m3cqkxd8Oy1r36p4to1_500.gif

Funny how that is the best they could come up with in terms of fighting style when this lower budget movie looked so much better, and he isn't even doing silat or kuntao or anything like that, he is just doing Wing Chun.

1:47-1:57 is how I would like to see Batman fight. Those 10 seconds are the most realistic of the fight since he is actually fighting more than one person at a time (which is reality unfortunately) rather than 1 at a time while others dance around to make it look like they are fighting.
[YT]watch?v=upwyWKzozII[/YT]

Last edited:
If he fights like Captain America in The Winter Soldier, I'll be more than happy.

Great post Superman 200.
Master Scott references always get my seal.

If he fights like Captain America in The Winter Soldier, I'll be more than happy.

The Winter Soldier certainly handed hand to hand combat as it should be in a superhero film... it was way over to top, but that's how exactly how it should be. The deal with superheroes is that they should make characters like Jason Bourne feel helpless victims.

And you can only get that by getting crazy, forgetting reality and making your characters do insane stuff.

Batman does that in comics, animated films, the Arkham games... but he didn't on the Dark Knight Trilogy, if Jason Bourne was there, he would wipe the floor with Bats.

The Winter Soldier certainly handed hand to hand combat as it should be in a superhero film... it was way over to top, but that's how exactly how it should be. The deal with superheroes is that they should make characters like Jason Bourne feel helpless victims.

And you can only get that by getting crazy, forgetting reality and making your characters do insane stuff.

Batman does that in comics, animated films, the Arkham games... but he didn't on the Dark Knight Trilogy, if Jason Bourne was there, he would wipe the floor with Bats.

The style he used in the movie looked a bit like a style of Krav Maga. I think Krav Maga has some good stuff in it, but I don't think it is the ultimate style of martial arts or anything, but it looks good enough on film. I really would like that Batman used something more aggressive and brutal. I don't care if all the fighting is done by a stuntman but I'd like fighting that will make those of us who are martial artists go "ooh that was nice", and not the general audience. Getting the general audience to go "oh wow" is easy. Getting us practitioners of martial arts to go "oh wow" is a very different thing. I think if you try to impress those who know martial arts, then if we are impressed, the general audience will be impressed because they know less than us.

I wouldn't want to see him use Krav Maga or anything that we have seen in mainstream Hollywood. I think Silat (Denzel in Book of Eli) would look good for Batman, Kuntao of course (which has NEVER been used in a movie) would be amazing. If you are not familiar with it, try and find some on YouTube and you will see what I mean. It is so fast that the general audience would miss the majority of the strikes, but then again, they would be impressed with seeing some of the "finishing" strikes.

Great post Superman 200.
Master Scott references always get my seal.

Thank you, I mentioned Master Savelli earlier I but I think a lot of people could not catch everything that was happening. Here is a bit of Savelli for those of you who understand explosion in martial arts and the quickness and power.

[YT]watch?v=6mcqb3LO_OQ[/YT]

If some of you understand this, I am sure you will be impressed with the videos below!

[YT]watch?v=CCwNeg2-Ob8[/YT]

[YT]watch?v=9zKGx-HWIvU[/YT]

To the general audience, the speed would be a moment of "what was that?" and would only be impressed by some of the slower heavier hits, but to the ones that know, the speed of it and explosion would impress them. General audiences are easier to impress, they are impressed with Krav Maga which is okay, but they don't see the difference between Neeson doing Krav Maga and Denzel doing Silat in Book of Eli.

People think big and muscular and all that is what is important, when in reality, Master Scott or Master Savelli would destroy any person of any size while not being big or scary looking or anything.

Last edited:
People think big and muscular and all that is what is important, when in reality, Master Scott or Master Savelli would destroy any person of any size while not being big or scary looking or anything.

Conveniently it is a film, and most people fully realize it's just a movie. It's ok to indulge in fantasies. More importantly to reflect the source material.

The average person couldn't tell the diff between the various latin dances(mambo, rumba, salsa etc) without the context of music(even then). Silat and Krav are hard for most people to distinguish, but the presence of one of these various styles does go a long way these days. It would go a long way in relation to that hay maker stuff we were recently given.

The best part of those types of styles is the obligatory: I just met someone that can hang moment lol.

The watermelon clip was pretty funny, hard to explain why.

The average person couldn't tell the diff between the various latin dances(mambo, rumba, salsa etc) without the context of music(even then). Silat and Krav are hard for most people to distinguish, but the presence of one of these various styles does go a long way these days. It would go a long way in relation to that hay maker stuff we were recently given.

The best part of those types of styles is the obligatory: I just met someone that can hang moment lol.

The watermelon clip was pretty funny, hard to explain why.

True, it looks interesting. I would love to see a style like that, but that watermelon clip is just something else. That is not easy to do. Especially since these guys are not punching a melon, but turning the insides of it to water with their fingertips. A strike like that to the eye/throat and it is over, in a BIG hurry. Combine strikes like that with the speed of the art and oh boy.

If it is good enough for these guys, I believe the only reason they wouldn't want Batman using this style is because they don't know about it. At 1:20, that person would be seriously hurt VERY quickly.
[YT]watch?v=jYI9H7L93iQ[/YT]

Batman's fighting style should be something we haven't seen before. I know people like to bring up the fight choreography from Cap 2 as an example - because it was great and they set the bar pretty high - but when it comes to Batman believe it or not I expect a whole lot more.

Whenever the people of Gotham tell stories of Batman sightings it's almost always something you'd hear from an urban legend. Some go as far as to say he's not even a man in costume because they swear no man could ever leap 10 feet in the air or swoop in from a tall building in seconds flat and still rescue a lady in the middle of the street from an oncoming truck in the nick of time.

We're talking about a guy that can engage 15-20 guys at once and come out unscathed. We're talking about a guy that dodges bullets. He needs to be capable of things you can't even imagine. If all he comes off like is just a man in a costume that happens to know some cool kung fu then they have failed in my opinion. Batman's movements should be bordering on mythical.

We're talking about a guy that can engage 15-20 guys at once and come out unscathed. We're talking about a guy that dodges bullets.
No, no we are not. What books have you been reading where this was anywhere near close to reality of Batman's actual fighting?

Batman's fighting style should be something we haven't seen before. I know people like to bring up the fight choreography from Cap 2 as an example - because it was great and they set the bar pretty high - but when it comes to Batman believe it or not I expect a whole lot more.

Whenever the people of Gotham tell stories of Batman sightings it's almost always something you'd hear from an urban legend. Some go as far as to say he's not even a man in costume because they swear no man could ever leap 10 feet in the air or swoop in from a tall building in seconds flat and still rescue a lady in the middle of the street from an oncoming truck in the nick of time.

We're talking about a guy that can engage 15-20 guys at once and come out unscathed. We're talking about a guy that dodges bullets. He needs to be capable of things you can't even imagine. If all he comes off like is just a man in a costume that happens to know some cool kung fu then they have failed in my opinion. Batman's movements should be bordering on mythical.

Umm, that's all nice and all, but Captain America is physically superior to Batman. If the style they used for Cap in TWS was good enough for a super-soldier, it's more than enough for Batman. Despite you hyping him up like that, he's still just a man.

Also, you're comparing a man who sometimes dodges bullets (why do you think he still wears armor..?) to a man who can actually "see" the bullets in slow motion.

1787382-1465219_680807_640328_ca17016cd2_super_super_super.jpg

The style he used in the movie looked a bit like a style of Krav Maga. I think Krav Maga has some good stuff in it, but I don't think it is the ultimate style of martial arts or anything, but it looks good enough on film. I really would like that Batman used something more aggressive and brutal. I don't care if all the fighting is done by a stuntman but I'd like fighting that will make those of us who are martial artists go "ooh that was nice", and not the general audience. Getting the general audience to go "oh wow" is easy. Getting us practitioners of martial arts to go "oh wow" is a very different thing. I think if you try to impress those who know martial arts, then if we are impressed, the general audience will be impressed because they know less than us.

I wouldn't want to see him use Krav Maga or anything that we have seen in mainstream Hollywood. I think Silat (Denzel in Book of Eli) would look good for Batman, Kuntao of course (which has NEVER been used in a movie) would be amazing. If you are not familiar with it, try and find some on YouTube and you will see what I mean. It is so fast that the general audience would miss the majority of the strikes, but then again, they would be impressed with seeing some of the "finishing" strikes.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Martial Arts, but they're not making a Martial Arts film. It's a comic book movie meant to entertain the greatest amount of people possible. If they utilize an art that is too fast or complicated for the general audience to realize what is happening, let alone marvel at it, they will be considered an utter failure. No matter how advanced or unique the martial art is.

Arkham games nailed the look of his fighting style

This.

Imo, I think the way Batman fought in The Dark Knight Trilogy would fit better with "Batfleck" simply because he's older and should be much more aggressive in using his fists as well as his surroundings. In The Dark Knight Trilogy, Bruce/Batman was younger and should've fought in other styles, but Ben's version should be more aggressive and less "light" on his feet as you'd see in those Arkham games.

Imo, I think the way Batman fought in The Dark Knight Trilogy would fit better with "Batfleck" simply because he's older and should be much more aggressive in using his fists as well as his surroundings. In The Dark Knight Trilogy, Bruce/Batman was younger and should've fought in other styles, but Ben's version should be more aggressive and less "light" on his feet as you'd see in those Arkham games.

While that does make sense, I think this Batman should be more "light on his feet" than Nolan's simply because we haven't seen that yet with him and it's about time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"