Battinson Physique Thread

I want him to keep his physique from the lighthouse. That kind of physique would allow Alfred to pick him up with ease and a sense of delicate nurturing touch. I dont know about ya’ll but that feels very masculine for this Batman.

tumblr_inline_ow79zoToXu1u7zsnv_540.gif
giphy (2).gif
Ironically enough a physique like this would also work great for Battinson

You guys are putting a lot of thought into this. Have you put any thought into long/thick his Bataring should be? Something like Batfleck’s big fat one that he used to terrify prison inmates or smaller/thinner and more precise like Bale’s shuriken?

Batfleck had a physique thread, and discussing this topic seems to annoy some in the other threads, so I thought I'd make this one.

I think a realistic goal would be Taron Egerton in Kingsman.

9o6xc244c7c11.jpg

I really like the idea of Egerton's type of physique for Pattinson. It's not overly bulky, but has a gymnast sort of look to it. It looks very functional and balanced. It might look a good deal different on Pattinson due to his height.

He could achieve something like Daniel Craig in Bond:
images

Bale in Begins/TDK:
And best case scenario, Gyllenhaal on South Paw:
e5055cad8a93f0d92f1f366924490822.gif

I don't feel like I'm asking for too much here. He's obviously not gonna get Affleck/Cavill/Evans/Hemsworth levels big in this movie, but he should at least be up to par and have a noticeable change in his physical presence to make him further disappear into the role.

Bale's physique in Begins was ideal for a Batman physique, IMO. He doesn't need to bulk up that much of course, but I'd be very happy if he did. But someone posted a pic of him here a while back from some other movie where he bulked up considerably and I think something like that would be fine.

As much as I loved Bale, his Begins physique, and that whole package, I'm not sure it is the right fit for this particular Batman. I'd prefer Battison to have a leaner, sinewy look, more like Neal Adams' Batman (granted his version was leaner, sinewy and long limbed for unrealistic comic book standards). A bit more of a ghost and ninja than a bulldozer. For very much the same reasons, I am not a fan of Gyllenhaal's look from South Paw. While very impressive, it's very specific to MMA and frankly not very aesthetically pleasing. It is all thick blocky core with less impressive arms and shoulders. It is very functional, but very specific to MMA. A gymnast style looks more well-rounded and aesthetic.

You all tend to forget that Neal Adams Batman looked like this:

93a2f888875b28980045ba8af48f541e.jpg
OTC021.jpg

It's pretty much the exact same physique Gyllenhaal had in Southpaw. Heck, maybe even a bit bigger.

You all tend to forget that Neal Adams Batman looked like this:

93a2f888875b28980045ba8af48f541e.jpg
OTC021.jpg

It's pretty much the exact same physique Gyllenhaal had in Southpaw. Heck, maybe even a bit bigger.

It is quite different from Gyllenhaal's physique in South Paw. The proportions are quite different. Neal Adams' Batman was not small by any real world standards, but in comparison to most comic book depictions of Batman, he was quite lean. Adams drew his Batman based on 70s bodybuilders and the Greek ideals - ie. long lean legs, thin narrow waist, wide shoulders, full chest, etc. Very similar to a Frank Zane type bodybuilder. Gyllenhaal's South Paw physique is that a professional fighter, less pleasing, more thick midsection.

It is quite different from Gyllenhaal's physique in South Paw. The proportions are quite different. Neal Adams' Batman was not small by any real world standards, but in comparison to most comic book depictions of Batman, he was quite lean. Adams drew his Batman based on 70s bodybuilders and the Greek ideals - ie. long lean legs, thin narrow waist, wide shoulders, full chest, etc. Very similar to a Frank Zane type bodybuilder. Gyllenhaal's South Paw physique is that a professional fighter, less pleasing, more thick midsection.
I'm still confused by your argument about Bale tho.
Bale in Begins was literally a ninja and entirely believable as so. It looked perfectly balanced and acrobatic.

What do you think of the Charlie Hunnam, Farell and John Krasinski examples?

He should be more lithe and lanky, ready to escape whenever there are too many villains for him to handle. Acrobatic and with good agility but also much easier to handle and beat down compared to prior Batmans. A lean and lanky look is where I would go with him.

Why should he be much easier to handle and beat down?

Bale in Begins was literally a ninja and entirely believable as so. It looked perfectly balanced and acrobatic.

What do you think of the Charlie Hunnam, Farell and John Krasinski examples?
Bale was kinda thick and soft in Begins (due to the short time to get in shape after The Machinist):
bale-batman.jpg

I'd prefer something more like his American Psycho look for Battinson (not as much mass but leaner and harder):
20-american-psycho-1w750h5602xjpg.jpg

That would be my ideal. Krasinski is smaller and less defined than I would prefer, but workable. Not a fan of Hunnam's look, maybe that's just his genetic shape and structure.

Bale was yoked, particularly in the training scenes. Not at all acrobatic, in spite of what the film was trying to portray.

We haven’t yet had a Batman with a physique that matches his combatant skills. Hollywood vanity physiques are very different from the builds you see in MMA, which is what Rob should be targeting.

Bale was yoked, particularly in the training scenes. Not at all acrobatic, in spite of what the film was trying to portray.

We haven’t yet had a Batman with a physique that matches his combatant skills. Hollywood vanity physiques are very different from the builds you see in MMA, which is what Rob should be targeting.
That's why I think something like Southpaw would be great; that's literally an MMA physique.

images - 2019-11-05T225655.562.jpeg

Ideally something like Michael B. Jordan in Creed would be great but that's just impossible for this movie. However he could probably get there in a sequel.

I agree with your overall sentiment, except for the reference to MMA-style physiques as an ideal. MMA is not Batman's only capabilities. He also scrambles across rooftops like a gymnast, which have a very different physique. Also, MMA is not even remotely a reflection of hand combat in the real world, which is why special forces operators don't look like them. So if we are going for functionality, that is largely out too.

I agree with your overall sentiment, except for the reference to MMA-style physiques as an ideal. MMA is not Batman's only capabilities. He also scrambles across rooftops like a gymnast, which have a very different physique. Also, MMA is not even remotely a reflection of hand combat in the real world, which is why special forces operators don't look like them. So if we are going for functionality, that is largely out too.
gallery-1472647796-giphy.gif
How about Pitt in Fight Club?

I agree with your overall sentiment, except for the reference to MMA-style physiques as an ideal. MMA is not Batman's only capabilities. He also scrambles across rooftops like a gymnast, which have a very different physique.
I don't know if the gymnast aspect should really play a factor, especially on film. It's been a bit overstated from my overview of Batman across mediums. Unless they're specifically targeting set pieces which involve lots of acrobatics, the cape and grappling hook have been the de facto traversal methods of his for quite some time.

Also, MMA is not even remotely a reflection of hand combat in the real world, which is why special forces operators don't look like them. So if we are going for functionality, that is largely out too.
What do you mean by "hand combat in the real world"? Most people can't fight, and said fights rarely last longer than a minute. The MMA space is the only arena where trained fighters are constantly and consistently testing their fighting abilities for long periods of time, so that's where I'd imagine Bruce's training would most align with. Not too familiar with special forces operators, maybe you can shine a light in how they are more compatible for Batman.

I’ll just keep this simple. He needs to be about 200lbs and muscular. We’re not going to see much of him with his shirt off. What really matters is how the suit makes him look. A build close to this will be great.

7bfc41916f58e525f035b63c029e2707.jpg

I don't know if the gymnast aspect should really play a factor, especially on film. It's been a bit overstated from my overview of Batman across mediums. Unless they're specifically targeting set pieces which involve lots of acrobatics, the cape and grappling hook have been the de facto traversal methods of his for quite some time.

What do you mean by "hand combat in the real world"? Most people can't fight, and said fights rarely last longer than a minute. The MMA space is the only arena where trained fighters are constantly and consistently testing their fighting abilities for long periods of time, so that's where I'd imagine Bruce's training would most align with. Not too familiar with special forces operators, maybe you can shine a light in how they are more compatible for Batman.

Professional fighters train for a single fight that lasts at most an hour in a small enclosed space. It is a very artificial environment. Batman, like a special forces operator, is on patrol all night, moving around fighting now and then. Often travelling by foot. They are strong and fit, but more so wiry and lean than particularly muscular. A Batman that looked like one would not be particularly appealing. This is a fantasy and real world logic only goes so far. I personally lean towards a gymnastic physique because they are quite impressive, aesthetically pleasing, and well look like Neal Adam's Batman:
Jake-Dalton-2.jpg

Last edited:
If we're talkng in terms of comic books, I think the way Gary Frank depicts Bruce Wayne's physique is great:
p1_105copy.jpg
bruce-wayne-vs-alfred-pennyworth-earth-1-1.jpg

The American Psycho idea is a good one.

Professional fighters train for a single fight that lasts at most an hour in a small enclosed space. It is a very artificial environment. Batman, like a special forces operator, is on patrol all night, moving around fighting now and then. Often travelling by foot. They are strong and fit, but more so wiry and lean than particularly muscular. A Batman that looked like one would not be particularly appealing. This is a fantasy and real world logic only goes so far. I personally lean towards a gymnastic physique because they are quite impressive, aesthetically pleasing, and well look like Neal Adam's Batman:
Jake-Dalton-2.jpg
The thing is there's zero chance Pattinson will have enough time to craft a physique like that in this movie, for a sequel maybe, but seeing how at most he'll probably have 4 or 5 months and how this is pretty much his first rodeo bulking up like this, I think it's wise to lower expectations a bit. I'll be satisfied if he gets a physique like the Farell or Krasinski one; I'll pretty much settle for him no longer looking like a twink, that's my main issue with his look/presence right now and why I'd rather him not fork around with the lean part too much yet because first and foremost he has to bulk up. If he's all ripped and has abs but he still looks whimpy with a shirt on that's pretty useless.

The thing is there's zero chance Pattinson will have enough time to craft a physique like that in this movie, for a sequel maybe, but seeing how at most he'll probably have 4 or 5 months and how this is pretty much his first rodeo bulking up like this, I think it's wise to lower expectations a bit. I'll be satisfied if he gets a physique like the Farell or Krasinski one; I'll pretty much settle for him no longer looking like a twink, that's my main issue with his look/presence right now and why I'd rather him not **** around with the lean part too much yet because first and foremost he has to bulk up. If he's all ripped and has abs but he still looks whimpy with a shirt on that's pretty useless.

Bale got in shape for Begins in a similar period of time from a much worse base. Pattinson is already relatively athletic and lean. We need to remember that the bulking game works a good deal differently for actors than for everyday folks. They have a lot more resources and time. Pattinson can just focus on that for 6 months while studying the script and researching the role. It's not like he has a day job in the meantime.

This was done in 6 months:
This Guy Got Shredded in 6 Months With a No-Fuss Diet and Training Plan

Bale got in shape for Begins in a similar period of time from a much worse base.

Nope, Bale had 8 months. He started training in July 2003 and Begins shot in February 2004.

Pattinson is gonna start training this month, and as fas as we know the film is gonna start shooting in January.

I hear you, I hope they give him 6 months so he can accomplish something amazing like an Amerycan Psycho physique and fully transformative but at most I think they're gonna give him 4 or barely 3.

Why should he be much easier to handle and beat down?

That’s just the type of take I’d love to see this time. A far weaker, more vulnerable Batman who is a greater detective than he is fighter. A softer Batman who while decent at fighting, is best with a means to find easy escape if there are too many goons and thugs around. It would be a really interesting and super realistic spin to have him struggle against a moderate group of thugs, even lose badly before needing to escape. His main goal is to solve the mystery of the story but barely make it out alive. I think with a somewhat lean, but more thin and lanky physique would lend best to that interpretation and be a fresh take rather than the usual brawny muscular Batman type figures of the last few movies and comics.

Seeing Batman get far more easily overwhelmed and even lose quite a few times compared to prior portrayals would bring a unique shock to the system and it would be much more of an edge of seat thriller as opposed to “ok cue next big overly choreographed fight scene followed by explosions..”

That’s just the type of take I’d love to see this time. A far weaker, more vulnerable Batman who is a greater detective than he is fighter. A softer Batman who while decent at fighting, is best with a means to find easy escape if there are too many goons and thugs around. It would be a really interesting and super realistic spin to have him struggle against a moderate group of thugs, even lose badly before needing to escape. His main goal is to solve the mystery of the story but barely make it out alive. I think with a somewhat lean, but more thin and lanky physique would lend best to that interpretation and be a fresh take rather than the usual brawny muscular Batman type figures of the last few movies and comics.

Seeing Batman get far more easily overwhelmed and even lose quite a few times compared to prior portrayals would bring a unique shock to the system and it would be much more of an edge of seat thriller as opposed to “ok cue next big overly choreographed fight scene followed by explosions..”
Nah. Don't make Batman a whimp. Make him vulnerable and so on but not a whimp, this is too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"