Battle of the Scenes: Braveheart vs. Gladiator

Poeman

Avenger
Reaction score
These are two of my favorite movies of all time...As many, these two scenes make the film what it is also today. What I like to call "Oscar winning scenes".

SPOILER ALERT SCENE/THREAD...Leave if you havent seen Braveheart or Gladiator.

But for those who have...I am trouble deciding which scene made me man cry more or hits me harder. Which is the more EPIC scene?

The two films may have been compared, but these two scenes are the endings / key deaths of the film that leave a huge emotional effect. Not to mention the absolutely stunning scores

So who wins? I'd recommend seeing the scene again to see which resonates more

The Braveheart "Freedom" scene

vs.

The Gladiator "Honor Him" scene

Last edited:
Tho I love Gladiator and the power of the "Honor Him" scene it is a completely ridiculous scene that would never have happened. The idea of a woman commanding anyone to do anything in Roman society like that after an Emporer has just been slain is complete BS. That would have played out very differently. There is a lot in the film that wouldn't have happened, but that scene just really irks me.

That leaves Braveheart and 300. Both are beautiful scenes imo. "Freedom" is more iconic and lasting, but that scene in 300 is pretty damn powerful after Leonidas's final "My queen! My wedwife...my love."

Last edited:
Tough one because i enjoyed both, but in the end "Freedom" just gets to me more. So powerful. And now i want to go home and watch Braveheart.

I find the "Freedom" scene to be just so much more powerful and moving. Of course, that might be because I happen to be Scottish.

I do love both movies though.

Both good films. For some reasons, I still prefer "Gladiator" though.

Other swashbuckling heroes who die who might be considered:

Kirk Douglas in The Vikings
Charlton Heston in The War Lord
Charlton Heston in El Cid
Anthony Hopkins in The Mask of Zorro

Prefer Braveheart, but as others have said, both are damn good movies.

Other swashbuckling heroes who die who might be considered:

Kirk Douglas in The Vikings
Charlton Heston in The War Lord
Charlton Heston in El Cid
Anthony Hopkins in The Mask of Zorro
Also Gerard Depardieu in "Cyrano de Bergerac." Possibly the best of them all:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member