Se7en vs. Silence of the Lambs!!!

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by NOFX, Aug 7, 2005.

?

Which one is better???

1. Se7en

2. Silence of the Lambs

3. They both sux!!!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hunter Rider Ronin

the line highlighted is classic self contradiction:up:
    This is getting stupid,the fact is this i think SOL is a good movie but highly overrated, however you are saying you like seven but think it's overrated,but for the last 2 pages weve done our best to tear the respective movies apart and now it's essentialy a flamewar, so it's up to you, in your reply you can flame me which means that you want to continue fighting or we can end this in a civilised way and just agree that we have a strong difference of opinion
    I'm willing to let bygones be bygones but the choice is yours

2. NOFX Registered

Well im not gonna let Bygones be bygones because I know for a Fact that SOTL is better then Se7en :p :cool:

3. Hunter Rider Ronin

grow up

4. Wilhelm-Scream Registered

More people can recognize the name "Mickey Mouse" than "Sartre" or "Alan Greenspan".
    God your "points" are pathetic,Reg. :rolleyes:

and you obviously couldn't WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND my Nazi point.
    Not for a flipping tenth of a SECOND did I "compare movies to the horrors of the holocaust". :rolleyes:
    My POINT was that just because the majority says something doesn't necessarily make it true. There was a time when "EVERYONE" "knew" that the Earth was flat and that the Sun revolved around it. Thank god we don't all base our opinions solely on what "most everyone" says.
    Again, Titanic won an oscar for best picture too.
    There's no WAY that was "best picture". It was just a big emotional, manipulative whack-off "event" movie with a cheesy love story. I don't give 2 god-damns that "98%" of the critics said it was the best.

5. NOFX Registered

So I take, you wont be making anymore new avvy for me??? Oh well, I guess I can go back with Conn and the Amazing Lee. :o

6. Hunter Rider Ronin

I don't hold childish gudges NOFX but you keep stirring the pot isnt helping thats why i said grow up,youve been stirring for 2 pages now,you like SOL better ? thats cool but stop provoking unless you want to make a full posted point on what you like:up:

7. NOFX Registered

Then stoop to my childish behavior and make a full posted point on what I like :rolleyes:

8. Hunter Rider Ronin

:confused: EH ? jesus you read what you wanted into that,i said i didn't hold childish grudges as in just cos we disagree doesnt mean i won't make you an avvy,christ i made manhunter one and i can't stand him
    As far as the last bit im lost,what i said to you was to stop stirring by just typing owned cos someone agree's with you and post your views

9. NOFX Registered

K, Pm coming ur way :cool:

10. reggiebar Registered

I honestly wonder if much of the backlash towards SOTL is done strictly because of its popularity as I have noticed in my 5 years at The Hype that many posters seem to hate certain films strictly because of their popularity (Sometimes the rest of the World also love great films, it doesn't make them any less great).

I really first started to notice this when Equilibrium came out on DVD and all of a sudden a huge backlash towards the original Matrix film started brewing on the Hype as if the fact that Equilibrium wasn't known by the mainstsream audience somehow made it a better film than The Matrix. EQ isn't a better film and the fact that no one else but fanboys like EQ doesn't discredit The Matrix.

I can't wait until the day that some prison break movie either fails at the box office or isn't marketed well, so when it comes out on DVD, the Hype can be filled with posters claiming that Shawshank Redemption sucks.

In my younger days, I as well, used player-hate films that became too popular until I realized that sometimes the movie-going public AND THE ACADEMY gets it right (If the Prince of Tides won Best Picture in 1992 as well as Nick Nolte in that film and Bett Midler won for her role in For The Boys or Ridly Scott won Directing Honors for Thelma & Louise, all the SOTL haters would be outraged, but since it did win all of a sudden they hate this movie). More often than not, they get it wrong, but sometimes all the hype on a film is valid. Don't hate SOTL because it swept the Academy Awards.

Perhaps I am wrong, but this has been a huge trend among fanboys (especially on the internet) to say that they hate stuff striclty because it is popular. Just because you like SOTL it doesn't mean that you listen to Britney Spears music. Come on, secretly we all know that you all want to like TITANIC - it was directed by a man most of you used to worship, James Cameron (Back when I was working in the business in the 90s, I got the chance to see a screening of TITANIC on the Paramount lot a few weeks before it was released and I really enjoyed the film - after it became the BIGGEST success ever, I wanted to hate it too, but I couldn't because I walked out of the theater that Saturday morning really enjoying the film and I wasn't going to let the fact that females all over the World went insanely ga-ga over the film discredit the fact that James Cameron dared to risk his career to make a film that everyone thought was going to bomb and ruin his career before it blew up in a way that no one would have ever imagined - Seriously, I bet that if the film did bomb like 99% of Hollywood (except the people working directly with the film) thought that it would have bombed before its release the internet would be filled with fanboys defending their hero's work on this film).

Popularity does not equals greatness. However, popularity also does mean that a film is bad either.

I may get flamed due to my TITANIC comments, but it doesn't matter because I was lucky enough to see the film with an open mind before it was released and I was able to really enjoy the risk that James Cameron made and appreciate the film. As the saying goes, "Don't hate the player, hate the game". Hate Hollywood for making films like The Dukes of Hazzard, but don't hate SOTL simply because it won Academy Awards.

Whatever, I am done in this discussion.

11. Wilhelm-Scream Registered

Well, it's sure not the case with me, 'cause I love SotL. I also Love Star Wars and I even liked the Spice Girls. And the poll is currently 34 to 28. I wouldn't really call that a "backlash", pretty close to 50/50.

12. reggiebar Registered

I actaually think you have great tatse in films based on your posts in other threads (Best Decade of Films for example) You were the one who got involved in a discussion I was having with hunter rider, so since you joined the discussion, I was left with no alternative.

I am baffled that you think that SE7EN is a better film than SOTL though as I simply can not comprehend how anyone could think that SE7EN is a better film as it was riddled with cliches and when the gore of the killings is stripped away, there is really isn't much to the film beyond some nice cinematography and a good performance by Spacey in the last 30 minutes that was the only redeeming quality of those last 30 minutes.

13. Carmine Falcone So it goes.

Are you serious?

The story is extremely good and if you did see the killings the movie would be less good. And you can't say that Freeman and Pitt were bad in Se7en, they were both f-ing great.

You're just saying all this **** because you did not understand Se7en or because you're just a stupid horror fan who likes to see how somebody's nose gets cut of and stuff like that. You pick.

14. Hunter Rider Ronin

Well there's something we DO agree on.Until i joined the hype i'd never heard anyone say they thought that Equilibrium was better than The Matrix yet on here due to the sequels being weak and Bale being Batman suddenly Equilbrium(a pretentious,average Sci-Fi film at best IMO) was a better movie:confused:

No one said they hated SOL just that they think Seven is better

My view on Titanic is simply that it's fairly mushy and not my type of film but there is no denying it is well made and that the set design in particular is outstanding,don't lump me in with the crowd just because i prefer Seven over SOL

15. reggiebar Registered

How can I not "understand" SE7EN? It was a by-the-numbers aging cop/rookie cop thriller filled with cliches. Please, go back and read all of my posts before you join this discussion. If you actually read what I wrote, I stated "when the gore of the killings is stripped away, there is really isn't much to the film beyond some nice cinematography and a good performance by Spacey"

I never stated that I needed to see the killings. Did I?

16. Savage Earth Rocker

...This really reminds me of Ultimate Fanatic on IFC.:D

17. L.A. Registered

18. Shuley Registered

Silence Of The Lambs...I agree with Movies205 on this one...Se7en was predictible and had a few things wrong with it...the cameraman screaming "I got your Picture" as Brad Pitt said Get out of here! and Chased him down the stairs...I said "There goes the Killer" The Killer is always someone who you least likely expect and they show him very quickly,so at the end of the movie, your like "Oh! That was him who did it??? I forgot all about it!" It's been done a zillion times. SOTL is much better,great dialogue a nice twist and an ending in the basement with tension with that of Hitchcock.Great Film.It won an Oscar for Best Picture for a reason.

19. Cinemaman Registered

Se7en (9.5 out of 10) is much better thriller.

Silence of the Lambs (7 out of 10) is very overrated film, which was for me big disappointment. Nothing (except of course Lector) got excited me.

Fincher rules :up:

20. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

Very tough choice for me. Both are excellent films, complete with a high amount of suspense, intelligent plots, and two of the best antagonists in the history of film.

I'd give it to Silence by a hair, but really, this poll should've been multiple choice, since both are brilliant movies.

21. Jasmine Registered

Silence of the Lambs.

22. britrogue Registered

That's a tricky one! Both incredible films! But I went with my instinct and voted Silence of the lambs

23. Fried Gold Registered

You use Evian skin cream, and sometimes you wear L'Air du Temps, but not today.

24. Yorkshirepudd Registered

Se7en is way over rated in my opinion. SOTL is a classic!

25. Fanticon Sneaky-Snake!