Batwoman BATWOMAN News & Discussion Thread

I actually thought the trailer was a decent (if somewhat paint-by-numbers) effort. Nothing groundbreaking, but nothing conspicuously bad either. (Credit for truth in advertising. Because there’s no way that the show, itself, will be groundbreaking. It’s CW/Berlanti. :cwink:)

Granted, it did appear to summarize the entire plot of the pilot episode. So there probably won’t be many surprises for viewers. But to be fair, this is a feature of most of these extended (3min+) sneak peeks.

The “woman power” messaging was… interesting. Now, strategically, CW marketing might have anticipated the negative responses and, therefore, dialed back said messaging in the trailer (if not the series, itself). Instead, they (obviously) decided to lean into it. And thus the whiners were discombobulated. Hey, bonus! :word:

So i watched the trailer...and yeah no.
It looks like your generic Arrowverse tv show, i was hoping that they would go with a different tone and vibe...i dont want another empty looking arrowverse like show.
I get that the known formula almost guarantees a few seasons, but im bored by it.

Action looked fine, characters seem to be interesting.

Ruby Rose looks nice and all but has barely any charisma, i dont know if she can lead this.
Amell isnt a super actor but he had a certain charisma about him that worked...maybe we need to get used to her a bit more.

What was cringy was this "girl/woman Power" stuff.
I love more strong females and all but its getting annoying when it so on your nose.
"The suit is perfect...it will when a woman wears it." Really? REALLY? That is the best you could come up with, a line that sounded cringeworthy and was so on the nose that i had to laugh.
Show me a strong female instead of telling me over and over again how much better this female is.
It does nothing when the best is you telling me this...show me.
Or at least write it more clever...im all for ****boys crying but not when its this empty.

Other than that...i dont know, i just dont feel it.
But i will give it a try for sure, maybe it works better than in the trailer.

Hard pass on this one. If I was only suspicious of the show being used to promote cringey, "progressive" politics, the trailer only confirmed it.

I stopped watching the trailer half way through. Why do they always show so much? It looked like it was going to be an abridged version of the whole episode.

Ruby Rose still seems very bland and wooden.

Just saw the trailer.... this looks terrible.

I love strong characters, going against the grain but this looks so forced in its message/agenda.

A few cliche stares through the camera, couple of stunts do not make the actress look decent. The comments, better when it's on a woman, i don't want a man taking a woman's credit... please, come on. It's not a contest, it's not revenge against men - it's batman - someone to inspire people, not to down play and try and one up on them, not all women think like that.
I like the idea though of making the wig work.... but it could have been so much better in how it was handled, one example.. a kid cries out 'it's batman' to which she replies, 'no sweetie, - i'm just like you... batgirl'. To which the girl replies, do you have 'red hair like me?' and the response 'hmmm, you'll see' - ok i am no writer, but a better version of mine would be so more inspiring, than just doing it to stand out and stop batman getting credit, it sounds so bitter.

I wish they used an actress that had muscle and size, i dunno, i don't want to trash it, but it just misstepped all the way through the trailer for me.

I really don't feel as if their net was cast very wide in getting the lead actress for this. They wanted an out lesbian at all costs above acting talent, and then lo and behold, they got Ruby Rose. First off, weren't there any other lesbian actresses who had better acting ability than her? I'm sure there could even have been some who were bi, but they didn't want that. And even a straight woman could've played her.

If they can get people like Victor Garber, John Barrowman and others to play straight, then why can't they get a straight woman to play a lesbian? It seems far more about an agenda than about actual acting ability. And as a result we get a completely uncharismatic and wooden lead who does not seem remotely personable or that you'd want to follow her story.

Captain America is a bit of a square jawed and bland hero in the comics. But Chris Evans imbued him with so much personality and heart that he improved upon him immensely. Look at Melissa Benoist too and how likeable she makes Kara. But we're not getting someone here who gives Batwoman a likeable personality at all.

When you limit your talent pool you get exactly what you paid for. I ain't got any sympathies for CW in this regard. I do have sympathies for Ruby Rose however. CW through some misguided sense of morality have put her in a situation where by she's being mercilessly mocked. They've taken a girl who's talents are limited and put them on display in the worst possible way.

When you limit your talent pool you get exactly what you paid for. I ain't got any sympathies for CW in this regard. I do have sympathies for Ruby Rose however. CW through some misguided sense of morality have put her in a situation where by she's being mercilessly mocked. They've taken a girl who's talents are limited and put them on display in the worst possible way.

If she had just been Batwoman in a guest role on Arrow and never intended as an ongoing character or lead, Ruby Rose might've been okay. There have been other actors or actresses in CW shows who haven't exactly been great. But then taking someone like this and making her the lead of a show who has to carry it? They should've found someone else. In most other cases they would've recast if they had someone as poor as her and she were simply playing a straight character and there was no agenda.

If she had just been Batwoman in a guest role on Arrow and never intended as an ongoing character or lead, Ruby Rose might've been okay. There have been other actors or actresses in CW shows who haven't exactly been great. But then taking someone like this and making her the lead of a show who has to carry it? They should've found someone else. In most other cases they would've recast if they had someone as poor as her and she were simply playing a straight character and there was no agenda.

The only reason she was chosen is because she's probably the only high profiled lesbian of the right age going around in the industry. When you make decisions creative choices based on something as unimportant as sexuality this is what you get. Ruby is not good, everyone knows she's not, and yet she was chosen anyway because of who she sleeps. And now the poor girl has to deal with a flood of bull **** as a result. No-one should be put in this type of situation.

There was something that bugged me about it, and its not the usual. I do want to see it, though, but...

One of the things that had bugged me about Supergirl, one of them because there's more, was that they focused more on the main being a woman than it should be. To the point where it was either awkward or unnecessary. Good example: the pilot where Alex says to Hank "why? because she's a girl?". I was like no? why have that line? where did that come from? why is it here? why not say "why? because she's a child?" Which would make sense because Kara was growing from being naive at the start. Why bring her gender at the focal point?

I fear and I hope this isn't the case for Batwoman. Now, we don't know past the trailer what context of certain things are, sure; but "not letting a man get the credit for a woman's job" line, is that it?, gave me shades of the Supergirl problem I had. Like Supergirl with her gender instead of her experience, why not have Batwoman not be about her gender but about her individuality? Which works because she is trying to be her own person despite being a Bat, despite being under Batman's shadow, and that can lead to stories where what if her ideas work where Batman's didn't, as much as she is consumed with Batman's POV.

Again, just a trailer; but that's what's on my mind.

I'll give it try, trailer looked promising...

I liked it, for the most part...

I understand the cringe/gripes that some have, as being slammed over the head with this is a woman is too over the head with a bat. Change some lines, like 'it will be perfect when it fits me,' kind of thing. Really hoping it'll flow better in context of the episode, and maybe that is the hardest 'girl-power!' stuff we'll see. Maybe. Hopefully.

On the whole though, I liked it. I thought it showed too much, much the same as the first Supergirl trailer, and was a bit herky/jerky in parts. I hope her arrival at the Batcave isn't a quick 30 sec scene, as obviously she has to have some clue as to what she is going to find.

Loved the Batsuit. It looked good on her too, even before it gets 'feminized,' and I still like it afterward.

All in all, I think I'll like it and I'm hoping for a lot more, but I have to keep in mind this is a Berlanti-show and is thus sure to be saddled with some inane moments.

Would this work better if they revealed she was already Batwoman and that was HER suit we were looking at?
Her background she was kicked out and eventually went vigilante encountering the Batman who helped her out.
Eventually she figured out who he is and met the rest of the Bat Family until she decided she needed to do her own version of what Dick did before becoming Nightwing.
So they approach her because Bruce is missing they ask her to fill in whilst they're gone making sure to keep in contact via Oracle.
Kathy only agrees because having encountered Red Alice, her father keeping her out of the investigation means she can get Oracle's help to find out what's really going on.
So rather than that really stupid line she actually wants to make her suit more individualised thus the red wig.

Instead of starting in Gotham have this start elsewhere with Alice going after her ending up kidnapping the ex-girlfriend.

So we have a reason why she has access to the Bat Cave, her own suit and a legitimate reason why she's in Gotham and her own mission along with a couple of ongoing mysteries such as is her father in league with Red Alice and what happened to Bruce Wayne?

Red Alice goes on a rampage and here's Crow Security volunteering to help deal with this sudden rampant crime problem that then moves on to another city and repeat...

Does that sound better?

I'm not familiar with the character Red Alice, but looking her up I see she's Kate Kane's identical twin sister. Take it they're doing away with that here then.

Last edited:
Did they reveal who kidnapped them and killed their mother?

I just can't help imagining one was institutionalised, whilst the other joined the military to deal with the trauma.

Still think this might work better if their father is responsible for her release and he's using her antics to promote his business.

So she moves to Gotham presumably to get away from dad, whose unaware she's Batwoman.

Also reveal he's seriously underestimated the Gotham Underworld if he thinks introducing Alice will help his schemes much!

A number of trailer comments picked hard on the "I won't let a man take credit for a woman's work" with "You're taking credit for what a man started by taking his place and gear".

I don't hate that line, I'm ok with it cause I understand why it's placed. What I wonder about is how does she move from being Harlyquinn's (maybe) hostage to being that terrifying quickly by having gadgets.

I think it is cute that guys are attacking the CW for trying to appeal to their main audience.
As a fan of Batwoman, this looked like complete junk to me. As someone who watches Riverdale and will be watching their new Nancy Drew show in the Fall, this did not appeal to me in the least. I adore Kate and one of my favorite aspects of her quality comics is how progressive they are. But this isn't that, and I don't think the target audience of the CW is all about crapping on dudes. This is a channel built around a show like Riverdale.

I completely agree that the situation around this show is already really toxic. But that doesn't change how this looks. My main barometer here is my brother (big Batfamily person) and my best friend, whose favorite fictional characters are Root, Shaw and Kate. She is the one who got me into Batwoman in the first place. My brother has no interest in this at all, and my best friend is going to make me hate watch this show with her. She's been annoyed since they cast Ruby Rose, and it has only gotten worse. Not a good sign imo. :funny:

Last edited:
I went back to watch Supergirl's first trailer, and while they made some notable mistakes with that one, it was still reasonably good enough to have more likes than dislikes.

This one managed to be the Ghostbusters 2016 of the TV line of superheroes.

I think it is cute that guys are attacking the CW for trying to appeal to their main audience.

This is a weird statement. Also, what do you think is the CW's main audience? Women right, If so, you must not think highly of them to think they'll only be satisfied with a member of the LGBTQ community over production values.

An actress that is experienced and can give the character a decent portrayal, which champions diversity with a great cast and story is far better than just hiring a lesbian and saying 'we are woke, love us'.

This show could sink quicker than titanic which would be an awful shame - or it could have been a hit, spreading a nice big rainbow light into the sky.

This is a weird statement. Also, what do you think is the CW's main audience? Women right, If so, you must not think highly of them to think they'll only be satisfied with a member of the LGBTQ community over production values.

An actress that is experienced and can give the character a decent portrayal, which champions diversity with a great cast and story is far better than just hiring a lesbian and saying 'we are woke, love us'.

This show could sink quicker than titanic which would be an awful shame - or it could have been a hit, spreading a nice big rainbow light into the sky.

Oh dear :o

Let's be clear. CW is targeting the same crowd that freeform is. Whose tagline would make many of the people in this thread head explode. I am not thrilled by what I saw in the trailers, but those whining about the feminism are really in for a shock.

Let's be clear. CW is targeting the same crowd that freeform is. Whose tagline would make many of the people in this thread head explode. I am not thrilled by what I saw in the trailers, but those whining about the feminism are really in for a shock.
There's a difference between feminism and equality than what we saw in the trailer - that was neither - just to be clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"