BBC's Sherlock: Series 3

I was one of those people that secretly wished Moriarty didn't really shoot himself :(

Time to be Sherlock Holmes.

Great episode, but that's to be expected. Loved the different reactions to Sherlock's return. I just hope this series breaks the trend of the second episode being weaker than the opener/closer.

I usually hate Moffat/Gatiss tumblr pandering, but the little Sherlock/Moriarty rooftop scene was funny.

Is it just me or did that episode have a very very different feel to it?

Excellent episode! Great opener after quite a break. Some things here and there I could have done without or could have been added. Actually thought the sound quality at times seemed muffled? Anyone else have that issue. Anyways, absolutely superb opener for series 3.

A great episode to start of series 3. Can't wait for the next one sounds like a fun one from the short trailer we got.

I loved how the episode mythologized Holmes and his death. Plus, the Alan Moore nod/Easter Egg was a terrific dessert.

Excellent episode. A great many of the gags and fake outs were pretty much engineered for maximum tumblr impact.

tumblr_myr44kqaX11qbfcx6o4_250.gif

Last edited:
Is it just me or did that episode have a very very different feel to it?

The tone was a bit looser. Cumberbatch obviously had a lot of fun. The whole French waiter bit would have been hard to imagine in the first season.
tumblr_myr4w2pYd91qe8a0fo1_250.gif

And then there are all the fakeouts and such.

Yeah this only worked because the show has become so big. It's gotten to the point where we're just happy seeing the characters on screen. Cause come to think about it there really was no plot for a good 45/60 minutes of the episodes running time.

Still loved it! I think it's the weakest of the openers but the other two set the bar so high it wasn't going to reach it still a solid 9/10 though. The opening half hour really was terrific but then it started slowly dawning that as lovely as it is to have the show back nothing had really happened until a wafer thin story was put out toward the end. But I was grinning and laughing for the whole 90 minutes! I just don't think it will hold up well to repeat viewings. Unlike Scandal I think once you get over "it's finally back after two years!" there isnt much else. The whole fake outs of the jump were hilarious though especially the giggly Moriarty/Sherlock rooftop one.
though I don't think the "explanation" was the explanation in fact I'll be surprised if we ever find out.

Also for any American viewers who download, Derren Brown (the guy in the beginning) is a brilliant magician/illusionist but I'm not sure if he is too well known in the States. Brilliant joke though.

Last edited:
Derren Brown's Russian Roulette is still great to watch.

Derren Brown's Russian Roulette is still great to watch.

All of his early (pre-The Events) and live shows are outstanding to watch his recent TV outings not so much IMO. But a good 80% of his stuff blows me away. Seeing him in Sherlock was brilliant.

The tone was a bit looser. Cumberbatch obviously had a lot of fun. The whole French waiter bit would have been hard to imagine in the first season.
tumblr_myr4w2pYd91qe8a0fo1_250.gif

And then there are all the fakeouts and such.

Yeah, I think this has been the most lighthearted episode so far. That whole restaurant scene was hilarious, especially them fighting while spanish music played.

As someone who loves every other episode I can't believe I'm going to say this but, er, was that a bit rubbish?
Just a little bit, I mean. The tone, plot, performances, direction, it all felt slightly... off.

Don't get me wrong, it's still Sherlock and I still enjoyed it, but it was probably the only weak episode they've ever done. Guess it had to happen sooner or later...

Its even worse because the season is only 3 episodes. With a season that short, no subpar episodes should be let through the gate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"