Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by Thread Manager, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

yeah I am one of those people who doesn't read comics, so doesn't really relate to those like yourself and others who don't like too much character change from comic to screen. But I really think this change worked well, both as a character standpoint and within the context of the movie.

I'm really looking forward to your opinion after you see the movie! So make sure to post somewhere or PM me!

2. DarkSovereignty

DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

Um, the criticism for iron man 2 had nothing to do with the fact that they merged whiplash and crimson dynamo into one character. General audiences and critics, the opinions of whom are what truly matter in the long run (not those of fans) either didn't realize that they combined 2 characters or didnt care because the two characters are pretty lame in the first place, and were improved IMO.the only lesson that was to be "learned" from Im 2 was to limit the avengers set up, which they did.

3. Surfer

Surfer Sentinel of the Spaceways

Thanks mkilban2, I will let you know what I think after I have seen it, and I am pretty confident I will enjoy the movie despite how I feel about the changes to the character.:yay:

Surfer

4. Surfer

DarkSovereignty, I agree with alot of what you said. I do think that most people complaining about Iron Man 2 did take the largest issue with it being a setup for Avengers and not enough of a stand alone film. However, I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that nobody was upset by the amalgrimation of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo at least not within the comic community. Now I understand where you are coming from, as you feel they are not aiming at the fans and they are aiming at the wider audience and critics with these movies. I mean after all they are a business right? However, my question would be why do they not have enough faith in their own characters with their long histories and compelling stories to sustain a movie? Once again I think some smaller changes are okay to make a character more relateable to todays crowd (such as Tony Stark being taken prisoner and becoming Iron Man in Afghanistan versus Vietnam), but large changes leave me feeling like they have little faith in their characters. Now perhaps you would say these character were lame by themselves as a reason for their change, but I would say the amalgrimation of Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo was lame. You could say that it doesn't matter what I think because they are targeting non comic book fans (which is fair enough), but I would say comic book fans are the foundation of what made their business great and it has allowed them to prosper and get to where they are today, and a home without a strong foundation can collapse. Keep in mind that if their movie universe fails or just runs it's course and ends, their continued success as a business will depend on the comics, so I think they should be taking every opportunity to convert audiences into comic book fans along the way (and of course vice versa), which to me means you respect the source. Anyways, that is how I see it, I have said my peace, but I do respect where your coming from.

Surfer

5. Surfer

Sorry, just had to say one more thing. I came across this article elsewhere where Zack Snyder is talking about Man of Steel and he states.

We weren't apologizing for Superman, which I feel happened in the past. It's Superman, for God's sake. He's a thing to be celebrated."

Now I realize Superman is a huge title character for DC and the characters being discussed here related to Marvel are not nearly as huge, but I think all comic characters whether they be Marvel or DC properties should be celebrated and that they shouldn't feel the need to be apologetic to general audiences about them. I think if these companies had more faith in their characters people would love the characters just the way they are.

Sorry, just had to say that one last thing and I promise I'm done until after I have seen the movie. Hoping I love it.:yay:

Surfer

6. divan

divan Well-Known Member

Not not sound like a dick but Synder really needs a bit of perspective. The guy thinks he's doing the next Star Wars or even Citizen Kane sometimes.

I'm sure Man of Steel will be great and I'm more excited for that movie than for this one, but seriously sometimes he's just repellent. If Man of Steel doesn't end up the best movie ever all those phrases will sound ridiculous.

7. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

well if the rumors of
    Killian/Mandarin popping up again are true, then, there's certainly more to the whole mandarin thing going on..in a way, it seems like they were both the mandarin..to an extent..especially with what goes on with extremis

8. kaijunexus

kaijunexus Marvel Cinematic Universe

Are you sure you mean "rumors"?

Are you sure you don't mean "a few fans talking about a possibility that was never mentioned or hinted at in the film or by the film-makers"?

9. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

:funny: I was thinking the same thing.

10. bullets

bullets bang bang

It's a bit off topic , but there's a lot of pressure on Snyder to deliver and I hope he does.

Honestly I root for all comic films to succeed ( and be good) . It's sort of become a genre and anything to keep it thriving helps.

11. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

It's not a genre, but I too root for all comic book films, DC or Marvel or any other.

12. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

Kingsley was great and I thought the twist was very good.

13. Vartha

Vartha Mod of Thunder

heh Ben was on Leno the other night and Larry the Cable Guy followed him. Larry made it obvious that he wasn't going to call Ben SIR.

14. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

Nope, by rumors, I mean Roger Wardell2 lol

15. James Howlett

James Howlett Member

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE
    Kingsley was great, no doubt, but i hated the twist. Shane Black tried to replicate Chris Nolan's Ra's al Ghul twist from Batman Begins, and in the process, destroyed the character of Mandarin who is the most iconic Iron Man villain. The idea of the Mandarin being a created persona was terrible. Ben Kingsley as the REAL mandarin and the main villain would have made an epic movie.

16. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Chris Nolan was the first man in space.

Chris Nolan was the first person to slice bread.

Chris Nolan invented the wheel.

Everything, everywhere is a rip off of something Chris Nolan did.

17. ctsketch

ctsketch Well-Known Member

or you know....you could use spoiler tags...

18. Surfer

So, are you guys saying it is unlikely we will see this type of thing in the future.

[​IMG]

and yes I made it myself. Lol

Surfer

19. NosfeRomas

NosfeRomas Well-Known Member

No, as much i love Nolan's work not everything has to be a ripoff of something Nolan did. The twist had nothing similar to Ras Al Ghul. Ducard being Ras Al Ghul and having decoys is Nolan's way of saying that Ras Al Ghul is Immortal, he is an idea more than a man. So instead of the Lazarus Pits he has more grounded decoys to pass his Message to the world. The twist in Iron Man 3 is a Shane Blackism, its a very smart twist that pisses people off, usually people that are invested in Iron Man as a character. I, who havent't read many Iron Man books and don't care for him as much as i do other characters (ex Batman, Daredevil) it didn't bother me much, actually if you watch the film a second time knowing the twist is pretty funny and the movie makes A LOT more sense. Except the part with the kid sidekick that sucked big time.

20. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

Tried to replicate Nolan's twist? Not at all. This one was done for comedic effect more than anything.

21. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Surfer! that manip made me lol so hard! haha

22. The Caped Knight

The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

23. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

No one will get this reference, but whatever:

Chris Nolan invented Dave Mustaine.

24. Ultimatehero

Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Every property and adaptation have many changes, this isn't just a "MARVEL thing" if that's what you're implying. Just look at how many changes were Nolan's Batman and the changes we already know about Snyder's Superman.

For crying out loud:
    Superman's birth was even changed in that film to make him even more of an outsider. And that's just one change. Plus supposedly Lois knows Superman is Clark BEFORE Clark works at the Daily Planet - or the rumors say that. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad but it is going in blindly to say that DC and Snyder stays true to the characters while MARVEL doesn't.

Thought I had to say something because the way you phrased it made it sound like Snyder was being reverent and true to the mythology when even he is changing things and sometimes important things about the mythology. But, films and comics and TV can and should do this. If this didn't happen Superman wouldn't be able to fly and Lex would still be a mad scientist plus kryptonite wouldn't exist.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  25. Ultra Nolanite

Ultra Nolanite Well-Known Member

This should be carved into the forehead of the guy who decided the [blackout]Mandarin Twist[/blackout] was a good idea.