Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

After seeing the movie twice, and being able to absorb all the details of "The Mandarin", it's safe for me to say definitively that Obadiah Stane is by far the best the villainy in the Iron Man movies has gotten. I can't even say the competition is close.

I'm a bit yes and no on that. There are certain aspects or sides to that character that I can say "Yeah, Stane was better", but there are other aspects (if we include it all in a very broad sense) that I just think far outshines both the villains and the previous movies in my opinion.

The scope of Mandarin's scheme was more impressive, but for me just watching Stane paralyze Tony, remove the arc reactor from his chest, all while he casually tells Tony he ordered the hit on him, he's going to kill Pepper, and then take Tony's tech and legacy was more compelling and better acted than anything Vanko or Mandarin did.

^ This. For some reason, this scene always stuck with me:

[YT]MtntTvuv8Aw[/YT]

There's something about it that I really enjoy about the way Stane screams in the scientist's face. He's so intimidating, and he's not even in the suit yet.

It also helps the Jeff Bridges is the man! haha ... and he's also the dude :D

^ This. For some reason, this scene always stuck with me:

[YT]MtntTvuv8Aw[/YT]

There's something about it that I really enjoy about the way Stane screams in the scientist's face. He's so intimidating, and he's not even in the suit yet.

"TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!!!!"

Stane was just so intense once his true colors were revealed. That was another thing, the transition from friendly fatherly type business partner who is so buddy buddy with Tony, plays the piano, and brings pizza back from board meetings, to psycho murderer was amazing. Bridges is so versatile.

Another gem of a scene was the one with Pepper, when she's just discovered all the incriminating evidence against Stane on his computer, she's downloading it onto a memory stick, and Stane walks in on her, and starts casually talking to her about Tony and how "happy" he was to have him back. Pepper hides the memory stick under the newspaper, and sticks the screensaver on the computer screen. What a great scene. First time I saw it I thought Stane was going to catch her and take her hostage. Probably the most intense scene of the trilogy. One of the few scenes in the Iron Man movies that has no humor at all.

Last edited:
After seeing the movie twice, and being able to absorb all the details of "The Mandarin", it's safe for me to say definitively that Obadiah Stane is by far the best the villainy in the Iron Man movies has gotten. I can't even say the competition is close.

I can't agree more. That's how you adapt a character. There were some differences, sure but it was undeniably Obadiah Stane.

In terms of villains in this trilogy

1. Bridges - Obadiah Stane
2. Kingsley - The Mandarin
3. Dale - Eric Savin
4. Rockwell - Justin Hammer
5. Pearce - Aldrich Killian
6. Tahir as Raza
7. Rourke - Ivan Vanko

Last edited:
^What, no love for Tahir as Raza?

He wasn't a henchman. The fat bearded guy was his henchman.

I just remembered reading a review with the headline of "one of the best comic book villains you will see" alongside a giant picture of Kingsley. God damn troll. :oldrazz: It's nice to see that some reviewers went along with it though.

Since [BLACKOUT]"Trevor" wasn't really the Mandarin, and I refuse to acknowledge Aldrich Killian was the real Mandarin, I'm hoping we get an Iron Man movie someday with a real Mandarin.[/BLACKOUT]

^I second that idea.

But we can't just re-do the movie. It is what it is. So...

AeJ4Cbd.jpg

I wont lie...

The revelation of "Trevor" and the true Mandarin kinda bugged me, cause I really wanted to see them use Mandarin kinda like Joker in TDK, just someone that shows up and about causing wreckage in Tonys life...but in terms of the story they were telling and setting Killian up as the big baddie it works.

But I agree, i hope maybe one day someone who is a copy cat is inspired by Trevor and set up to be the true Mandarin in the future.

Reboot and do Mandarin the more traditional way. Otherwise, the character is done in this MCU, or at least exists in that form.

Those Tv broadcast by Kingsley as the public guise of The Mandarin were phenomenal . "Ready for another Leason?"

Since [BLACKOUT]"Trevor" wasn't really the Mandarin, and I refuse to acknowledge Aldrich Killian was the real Mandarin, I'm hoping we get an Iron Man movie someday with a real Mandarin.[/BLACKOUT]

Not gonna happen.

This whole thing just confuses me, though.
Marvel has been talking up the Mandarin for years now, waiting for the right time to use him. So now, finally, the time comes...and they don't even really use him? The only acknowledgment of the 10 Rings is when Tony calls Trevor "Ringo"? Seems like an odd call, but I'll say that it made for a great twist and it worked well in this context.

Spoiler tags....spoiler tags....spoiler tags.....

Not gonna happen.

This whole thing just confuses me, though.
Marvel has been talking up the Mandarin for years now, waiting for the right time to use him. So now, finally, the time comes...and they don't even really use him? The only acknowledgment of the 10 Rings is when Tony calls Trevor "Ringo"? Seems like an odd call, but I'll say that it made for a great twist and it worked well in this context.

[BLACKOUT]I believe Tony was making a reference to Ringo Star with that line.[/BLACKOUT]

Talk of a reboot is unrealistic and won't happen so it's pointless even suggesting it.

The future is full of limitless possibilities.

Ben Kingsley was Awesome in this Movie! [BLACKOUT]Just way different than I expected but still Awesome![/BLACKOUT] :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"