Black Panther The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T

How tall is T'Challa in the comics?
Why are all superheroes in comics written as 6'2/6'3?

Its seemingly impossible to see a 6'3 actor with actual range playing a character. Most of the time we'd have 5'10 or 5'11 playing superheroes on screen.
Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt and Paul Bettany are the only guys who seemingly are the same height as their charactors.

Also 6'2 Ben Affleck playing Batman.

O/T

How tall is T'Challa in the comics?
Why are all superheroes in comics written as 6'2/6'3?

Its seemingly impossible to see a 6'3 actor with actual range playing a character. Most of the time we'd have 5'10 or 5'11 playing superheroes on screen.
Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt and Paul Bettany are the only guys who seemingly are the same height as their charactors.

Also 6'2 Ben Affleck playing Batman.

He’s six feet in the comics the same as Chadwick.

[YT]uQw82MQlVJM[/YT]

Interview with Winston Duke (M'Baku) and Ryan Coogler at the premiere of A Winkle In Time. It's interesting how Coogler described his friendship with Ava and the fact that both had worked on their movies at the same time, and he wanted to support her movie like she did with his. I do wonder how they will react to the less-than-stellar reaction to AWIT, though, especially in the same weekend where BP crossed the one billion dollar milestone.

[YT]uQw82MQlVJM[/YT]

Interview with Winston Duke (M'Baku) and Ryan Coogler at the premiere of A Winkle In Time. It's interesting how Coogler described his friendship with Ava and the fact that both had worked on their movies at the same time, and he wanted to support her movie like she did with his. I do wonder how they will react to the less-than-stellar reaction to AWIT, though, especially in the same weekend where BP crossed the one billion dollar milestone.

No one's reacting to it, everybody is showing Ava support and love.

Sure, folks would have supported. But they wouldn't have pushed it to $1 billion in 3 weeks had it not been good. Even the crappy Transformer sequels don't even make that kinda cash anymore. No other MCU film sans Iron Man or Avengers are guaranteed a billion, but BP just did.

Dr Strange made $660 million while Thor Ragnarok made $840 million. Even Spiderman made $880 million. BP might finish with 1.2 billion. That's because it was supported and that it's a very good film.

This^

It's called Cognitive Dissonance, and people like him are using it to try to marginalize BP's success.

Yeah...smh. People love to "move the goalposts" to try and prove their denial of something being successful.

[YT]uQw82MQlVJM[/YT]

Hopefully they both will maintain their "professionalism" and not harp on the possible "less-than-stellar" results and just praise the hard work involved.

Guaranteed the BP sequel BP2 will outshine this film as well as far as overall cult status if and when it does come out I mean that's a given

[YT]8uBP6UL-jEU[/YT]

Congrats BP, you're now part of the pop culture. :up:

DX4j191VQAAHVBb.jpg

‘Black Panther’ Tops $500M Overseas, $1B WW With $67M China Bow; ‘Tomb Raider’ Kicks Off – International Box Office

Refresh for latest…: Having crossed $1B globally on Saturday, Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther lifted its worldwide cume to $1,078.6M through Sunday. That’s coming off a $100M offshore weekend that was boosted by China’s estimated $66.5M launch. The international box office total for the Ryan Coogler superhero title is now $516.6M.

In China, the start is slightly above the range most saw ahead of the weekend and reps the 4th biggest MCU and superhero opening ever in the market. The Wakanda crew sparred with and was slightly edged by last year’s Spider-Man: Homecoming which keeps the crown of No. 3 MCU/superhero bow ever.

The Middle Kingdom debut was strong and landed 122% ahead of GOTG, 55% ahead of Ant-Man, 40% above Doctor Strange and 16% mightier than Thor: Ragnarok. Still, the film may find itself somewhat hampered by a not-so-hot score on local reviews site Douban. There’s also competition ahead, so the final projection here is in the $100M-$110M range. Either way, the BP phenomenon is still on track for over $600M internationally and around $1.2B or more worldwide.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/black-panther-china-tomb-raider-wrinkle-in-time-international-box-office-weekend-results-1202334223/

Black Panther eclipsing Avengers numbers almost and if it has already then it could be the greatest superhero solo origin film of all time probably even better than 1989 Batman

Sure, folks would have supported. But they wouldn't have pushed it to $1 billion in 3 weeks had it not been good. Even the crappy Transformer sequels don't even make that kinda cash anymore. No other MCU film sans Iron Man or Avengers are guaranteed a billion, but BP just did.

Dr Strange made $660 million while Thor Ragnarok made $840 million. Even Spiderman made $880 million. BP might finish with 1.2 billion. That's because it was supported and that it's a very good film.

Wait.

ONE Transformers film at the tail end of its run didn't make a billion, but three other massively dooky films did.

Now BP is not a dooky film at all, but bringing up Transformers is a terrible example.

It's your opinion and you have to right to speak your mind, but BP is perceived as a great film, whether you use RT, Metacritic, or even Cinemascore. It's not a perfect movie, but it is able to gain so many enthusiasm from the African & African-American community because it is relevant and it speaks to them about the history of social inequality through the character of Killmonger, and on top of that it's also an entertaining movie. But like other people, you like to dismiss any achievement this movie had by insisting that it got there it's at because it's a black-centric movie.

Btw, any movie directed by a black filmmaker just came out and earned below 50M in its first weekend, and the reviews are less than spectacular.

You're making my point for me.

It's "not a perfect movie" but is partially carried by social relevance and as I pointed out there are no other movies like this one in the CBM genre - hence the bump in repeat viewings. I can't even count all the discussion about young black kids devouring this film because of the excitement of seeing a hero like BP.

See you guys love to do this - you take an argument and swing it entirely one way. I'm saying the social relevance ADDED (that means in addition to) to the box office bump, not that it's entirely responsible for it. I dunno how anyone can sit there and honestly say it doesn't have an influence. That's just living with heads buried in the sand. There was a lot riding on the film's box office performance. Deny that all you want. I mean ask yourself this question - if it hits theaters and is ho-hum at the BO - does Marvel really drop another $200 million on a cast like this? Would other studios?

*****WARNING: My post does not mean the film was terrible.******

Last edited:
So now the fact that it made a billion dollars at the box office is just a fluke? We need to wait for the sequel to REALLY gauge what the people thought about the film. Because despite going to see it over and over again, they actually secretly hated it. I must say, the success of this film certainly brought the best out of the mental gymnastics.

Speaking of mental gymnastics - you certainly took the gold on that one. Although your dismount was a little sloppy. I don't know how you possibly got all that from my post. :loco:

Last edited:
It makes sense that it will be a cult classic but then as far as social phenomena I say this film has surpassed that now because if you take in the race issue and now people of other races are not only embracing BP but embracing black culture now more so than ever before makes this film very special

Sequels to phenomenons always do less. Spider-man 2 made less than Spider-man. Avengers 2 less than Avengers. Empire less that Star Wars. Rises made less than Knight domestically. Black Panther 2 will expand overseas (like Rises), but will likely not match the domestic haul of BP1.

Banking on that trend repeating for this franchise as proof that Black Panther was actually less than good is clever, but entirely cynical. If that's the case, then SW, Avengers, Spider-man, and TDK were actually all not that good as well.

The proof is in the legs. If BP did not resonate with people it would've had steeper falls. Simple as that. The sequel's performance has no relevance.

Speaking of mental gymnastics - you certainly took the gold on that one. Although your dismount was a little sloppy. I don't know how you possibly got all that from my post. :loco:

You seem to be of this mindset that black panther is just an OK movie getting by mostly on its cultural significance, that's been clear from your posts. Most people here are letting you know its actually making this much because maybe its deemed a very good movie by majority of audiences meaning its getting recommended a lot and getting repeat business. The cultural significance would only contribute to its opening weekend, after that everything else would be based solely on the word of mouth on the movie itself which from its A+ cinemascore is very good.

This seems hard for you to grasp for some reason. Regardless of your opinion on the movie, its on course to become the highest grossing comicbook movie ever in the states over the avengers and 3rd highest ever globally behind only two avengers movie. No amount of cultural relevance could've contributed that much especially when you look at the overseas numbers which is on course to be only behind the team up movies and iron man 3. What excuse of social relevance contributed there.

Last edited:
You're making my point for me.

It's "not a perfect movie" but is also being carried by social relevance and as I pointed out there are no other movies like this one in the CBM genre - hence the bump in repeat viewings. I can't even count all the discussion about young black kids devouring this film because of the excitement of seeing a hero like BP.

See you guys love to do this - you take an argument and swing it entirely one way. I'm saying the social relevance ADDED (that means in addition to) to the box office bump, not that it's entirely responsible for it. I dunno how anyone can sit there and honestly say it doesn't have an influence. That's just living with heads buried in the sand. There was a lot riding on the film's box office performance. Deny that all you want. I mean ask yourself this question - if it hits theaters and is ho-hum at the BO - does Marvel really drop another $200 million on a cast like this? Would other studios?

*****WARNING: My post does not mean the film was terrible.******

Lol I'd say, at the very least, repeat viewings is as much of a result of how good the film is, as anything else. Of course social relevance is one of the factors working in its favor. But the "unknowns" (predominantly black cast, lesser known hero) is exactly why most thought there was a cap on just how successful this movie could be at the BO. That it has shattered all expectations speaks to something more at play and that something more is clearly the quality of the movie itself. You don't have to agree that it's great or even good movie but the evidence is pretty compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"