Black Panther The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird point about DuVernay potentially being better than Coogler with the action scenes.

All that CGI spectacle stuff is on Marvel, not Coogler. They do it in all the recent movies. Personally much as I like Coogler I do think he's getting a little too much uber-praise for this movie, but the goofy weightless CG Panther/Killmonger stuff isn't on him, it's bigger than that. Not his fault.

The Korea stuff was fine.

What a ridiculous comment to make.

DX4Y6myWAAI5x0d.jpg

What a ridiculous comment to make.

In that it's a really solid superhero movie, doing something appreciated with diversity, but being made out to be the second freakin' coming and expecations of Oscar nominations for director/picture.

Which is ridiculous.

Thing is, Coogler probably is going to get an Oscar nom/win someday, dude has mountains of potential. But it's not going to be for this, and probably shouldn't be. Dude's young, green, he has plenty of time.

There's nothing wrong at all with just seeing this as an awesome superhero flick and acknowledging the positivity having a mostly-black cast in a film like this, and leaving it at that. It's hardly some game-changer, just a really well-done MCU movie.

Which is just fine.

In that it's a really solid superhero movie, doing something appreciated with diversity, but being made out to be the second freakin' coming and expecations of Oscar nominations for director/picture.

Which is ridiculous.

Thing is, Coogler probably is going to get an Oscar nom/win someday, dude has mountains of potential. But it's not going to be for this, and probably shouldn't be. Dude's young, green, he has plenty of time.

There's nothing wrong at all with just seeing this as an awesome superhero flick and acknowledging the positivity having a mostly-black cast in a film like this, and leaving it at that. It's hardly some game-changer, just a really well-done MCU movie.

Which is just fine.

There's also nothing wrong with people seeing it as an achievement in filmmaking. If you don't that's fine, but I don't understand the need to basically tell other people that they like the film too much.

Which is ridiculous.

Which is just fine.

Name me another CBM with as much world building as this movie, with as much depth in its story and characters dynamics and portrayal of its female characters. Please. I'd love to see your list.

Is this movie perfect? No. The VFX could certainly have been better, the action could be brought up another notch. But I can't think of one CBM that's perfect, that succeeds at everything. BP, at least, succeeds in more areas than any other I've seen. In the words of Rian Johnson, Coogler just raised the bar. And the most amazing part is that he is a young man with things still to learn and improve on in his craft. Amazing, indeed.

Which is ridiculous.

Which is just fine.

Your comment really was ridiculous; obtuse in fact. Tell me, in this day and age when was the last time you saw a 31 year old black man for his 3rd film being handed $200Million to cowrite and direct blockbuster film that has gone on to not only be a critical success with a 98% dark skinned black cast but to go on and become a global cultural phenomena and crack a $Billion in under a month. I'll wait.

Your comment really was ridiculous; obtuse in fact. Tell me, in this day and age when was the last time you saw a 31 year old black man for his 3rd film being handed $200Million to cowrite and direct blockbuster film that has gone on to not only be a critical success with a 98% dark skinned black cast but to go on and become a global cultural phenomena and crack a $Billion in under a month. I'll wait.

This^

I mean the dude co-wrote and directed a comicbook movie with a majority black cast, managed to even make racial politics a key part of the story and then such movie is on course to become the highest grossing comicbook movie ever in the states and potentially 3rd biggest ever worldwide only behind two avengers movies. Even if you think the movie itself is getting more praise than it deserves, you can't really underestimate what he's accomplished and he deserves every credit for it

‘Black Panther’ Crosses $1 Billion at Global Box Office

Marvel’s “Black Panther” continues to climb box office charts, passing the $1 billion mark at the global box office in just 26 days.

The Ryan Coogler tentpole is the 33rd movie to gross $1 billion. It’s the 16th Disney film to reach this milestone, and the fifth Marvel film to do so — joining the ranks of “The Avengers,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 3,” and “Captain America: Civil War.”

“Black Panther” has grossed $521 million domestically, making it the ninth-highest release of all time. In its fourth weekend, “Black Panther” is heading for a $37 million-plus weekend, which would make it the No. 2 superhero release of all time over “The Dark Knight’s” $535 million.

It would also give “Black Panther” the third-highest fourth weekend of all time, taking the title from “The Avengers” with $36.7 million. “Avatar” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” currently hold the one and two spots, with $50.3 million and $42.4 million respectively. A 44% drop for the tentpole’s fourth weekend would be on par with its third weekend decline of 41%.

Internationally, “Black Panther” is aiming for the $500 million mark this weekend, thanks to a strong debut in China, where it opened with $20 million in its first day.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/black-panther-billion-global-box-office-1202723326/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The real proof will come from the performance of the sequel.

There's an element of cultural relevance and euphoria that covers up obvious flaws of this first entry. Some might disagree, but my opinion from day one is that people were underestimating the box office in light of that fact. Black Hollywood was starving for an opportunity like this in the golden age of CBM's aka Marvel Studios - rightfully so. There was no doubt in my mind that people would come out and support this film barring a complete mess.

There will be far better afro-centric CBM's to be made than Black Panther. No doubt in my mind.

Last edited:
The only obvious flaw is poor CGI and just decent to good action scenes. The other stuff is subjective.

The many points Chesterfield, Faith Cassidy made about what Coogler did in terms of story, character dynamics, etc is why its the best reviewed comic book movie in years. The only consistent negative criticism was typically comic book stuff that wasn't as well executed as characters and story.

I harp on the technical deficiencies because I know that detractors will focus on an under lit action scene or poor CGI fight to undermine the scope at which this movie is aiming for. Just felt bad about it cause I knew people will miss out on the bigger themes, but good to see many out there didn't.

Will there be better movies about the subject? Probably. However, what Coogler accomplished is remarkable.

Last edited:
The only obvious flaw is poor CGI and just decent to good action scenes. The other stuff is subjective.

The many points Chesterfield, Faith Cassidy made about what Coogler did in terms of story, character dynamics, etc is why its the best reviewed comic book movie in years. The only consistent negative criticism was typically comic book stuff that wasn't as well executed as characters and story.

Will there be better movies about the subject? Probably. However, what Coogler accomplished is remarkable.

Agree to disagree.

The character dynamics were a real issue for me - which was due largely to the "cramming" effect of the attempted world building and getting us familiar with all of its characters. It had a very grand objective in that regard - way different than anything Coogler has had to handle and on top of that what I deem "Marvel mandates".

Okoye and the Dora Milaje were the only elements I felt Coogler handled deftly.

There's an element of cultural relevance and euphoria that covers up obvious flaws of this first entry. Some might disagree, but my opinion from day one is that people were underestimating the box office in light of that fact. Black Hollywood was starving for an opportunity like this in the golden age of CBM's aka Marvel Studios - rightfully so. There was no doubt in my mind that people would come out and support this film barring a complete mess.

There will be far better afro-centric CBM's to be made than Black Panther. No doubt in my mind.
Lol so now it's about the sequel's success? You've been harping on these same points for a month now and it still only adds up to your opinion that isn't supported by many people.

Sure, folks would have supported. But they wouldn't have pushed it to $1 billion in 3 weeks had it not been good. Even the crappy Transformer sequels don't even make that kinda cash anymore. No other MCU film sans Iron Man or Avengers are guaranteed a billion, but BP just did.

Dr Strange made $660 million while Thor Ragnarok made $840 million. Even Spiderman made $880 million. BP might finish with 1.2 billion. That's because it was supported and that it's a very good film.

You do not speak for everyone else.

It's your opinion and you have to right to speak your mind, but BP is perceived as a great film, whether you use RT, Metacritic, or even Cinemascore. It's not a perfect movie, but it is able to gain so many enthusiasm from the African & African-American community because it is relevant and it speaks to them about the history of social inequality through the character of Killmonger, and on top of that it's also an entertaining movie. But like other people, you like to dismiss any achievement this movie had by insisting that it got there it's at because it's a black-centric movie.

Btw, any movie directed by a black filmmaker just came out and earned below 50M in its first weekend, and the reviews are less than spectacular.

So now the fact that it made a billion dollars at the box office is just a fluke? We need to wait for the sequel to REALLY gauge what the people thought about the film. Because despite going to see it over and over again, they actually secretly hated it. I must say, the success of this film certainly brought the best out of the mental gymnastics.

So now the fact that it made a billion dollars at the box office is just a fluke? We need to wait for the sequel to REALLY gauge what the people thought about the film. Because despite going to see it over and over again, they actually secretly hated it. I must say, the success of this film certainly brought the best out of the mental gymnastics.

It's called Cognitive Dissonance, and people like him are using it to try to marginalize BP's success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"