Bought/Thought 4/29/09 Spoilers

Don't even joke Dread. :(

I know. No matter how much we often criticize and bash Joe Q, Dan DiDio is running a far worse ship. Joe Q may be an idiot savant; DiDio is often just an idiot in comparison. I can think of far more positive things to come out of the Joe Q EIC era over the last few years, even since 2004-2005 when Bill Jemas officially left, than I can about DiDio. INFINITE CRISIS had me the most curious about DC than I had ever been, and that sure didn't last. Marvel, meanwhile, has a lot of great books out there.

The thing is, I think the major strength is that Joe Q isn't heavy handed with EVERY facet at Marvel; he is with some things, like ONE MORE DAY, but in others he knows when to sit back and trust his talent, like with Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, or even Bendis. Yeah, that kind of thing sucks when it is Bendis or some creator you dislike, but for one you do, it's awesome. DiDio sticks his nose into everyone's business and rarely sticks with any idea, good or bad (but usually good) for long, and the sheer number of embittered ex-creators fleeing DC now has gotten almost embarassing.

Skaar #10 was SERIOUSLY good. And guess what? There's going to be a Planet Skaar Prologue one-shot coming out this month followed by the actual event in Skaar #11. Hell yeah!

BTW, Ron Lim's art was killer and him and Pak really did a great job of storytelling.

Personally, I like Garney's sketchier art more than Lim's, but Lim did a pretty good job last issue. Skaar's story has been interesting so far. I like that he's being forced into morality plays, but also that he's inherited the Hulk's "my way or the highway" attitude. The only improvement I can think of for Skaar's comic is the pace; these last few have been going by a bit too fast for me.

This and Thor have been good reasons for me to be reading Marvel Comics, as opposed to DC's...well, nothing, at the moment. Maybe Morrison and Quitely's Batman and Robin will grab me.

Yeah, I like Garney's art better for Skaar too but like you said, Lim's art is still pretty damn good.

I actually like the fast pace though. So much ground is covered in every issue as opposed to the typical decompressed crap that is stretched out to fill out a 6-issue arc. I mean, the "decompressed" style has its place, but I prefer reading a comic where tons of stuff happens.

I know. No matter how much we often criticize and bash Joe Q, Dan DiDio is running a far worse ship. Joe Q may be an idiot savant; DiDio is often just an idiot in comparison. I can think of far more positive things to come out of the Joe Q EIC era over the last few years, even since 2004-2005 when Bill Jemas officially left, than I can about DiDio. INFINITE CRISIS had me the most curious about DC than I had ever been, and that sure didn't last. Marvel, meanwhile, has a lot of great books out there.

The thing is, I think the major strength is that Joe Q isn't heavy handed with EVERY facet at Marvel; he is with some things, like ONE MORE DAY, but in others he knows when to sit back and trust his talent, like with Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, or even Bendis. Yeah, that kind of thing sucks when it is Bendis or some creator you dislike, but for one you do, it's awesome. DiDio sticks his nose into everyone's business and rarely sticks with any idea, good or bad (but usually good) for long, and the sheer number of embittered ex-creators fleeing DC now has gotten almost embarassing.

Even though DC has gone downhill after Infinite Crisis, I gotta admit that right now I'm more excited for what they're putting out and they're better for my wallet.

Well, I finally caught up on all my comics from the past week with War Machine #5. I gotta say, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going to go next. I hope the art team stays the same too. It has a really great look for this book.

I loved how Ares was calling Rhodes his "champion" too!

I loved how Ares was calling Rhodes his "champion" too!

See, that just bothered me. It just doesn't seem like something he'd say to Rhodey. I started with high hopes for this series, but stuff like that and the "brainless cloned body-in-waiting" have been a turn off. The supporting cast is uninteresting. I don't think I'll pick this up again unless it's a slow week when it comes out.

Literals #1 - I was getting a little nervous after reading the first two chapters of the "Great Fables Crossover" - they were just a little underwhelming and the story felt shoehorned. I am now completely invested.

I won't spoil any of the surprises, but if you are a Fables fan and have at least kept up with Jack, you will love this story. Kevin Thorn, despite my concerns, is shaping up to be a great character - I was afraid his sheer omniscience would limit him - but no worries there. And any story that includes my now-favorite character of all time, Gary the Pathetic Fallacy, is going to score high with me anyway.

Another home run from Willingham.

As much as I hate Didio for books like Countdown and Trinity...there have been some fantastic books under his tenure. Examples like Infinite Crisis, Blue Beetle, and Booster Gold.

Superman hasn't been horrible, except for that run with Donner, and the Flash run with Bart as the Flash, I loved. In fact, the Up, up, and away and Brainiac story of Superman were both awesome. :up:

On the other hand though, he killed Ted Kord, Conner, and Bart for stupid reasons. At least Bart and Conner are back...but Where is my Blue Beetle..huh..huh?!?! :cmad:

See, that just bothered me. It just doesn't seem like something he'd say to Rhodey. I started with high hopes for this series, but stuff like that and the "brainless cloned body-in-waiting" have been a turn off. The supporting cast is uninteresting. I don't think I'll pick this up again unless it's a slow week when it comes out.
That seems like something he would definitely say to Rhodey. See, Ares is the god of war and Rhodey is a War Machine.

Up until this series, Rhodey was just called War Machine. The idea of him being like Ares in any way was unthinkable. But Pak changed all that in just one issue and made me hate the character all at the same time. Progress!

:dry:

I'm just glad you have no creative input on the book whatsoever because I think it's awesome.

I'm just glad you have no creative input on the book whatsoever because I think it's awesome.

I wish anyone else had creative control of the title. That trash can't get much worse. Warmachine is only the third title I've ever dropped. First was Punisher WarJournal (F*** You, Fraction), Red Hulk after issue #1, and now Warmachine. Thanks, Pak!

Wow, I drop a lot of titles all the time for a variety of reasons. But I probably also buy a lot more comics than you and most other people around here.

I read about 8 titles per month + the occasional one-shot or mini-series. It really takes a lot for me to drop something. I just couldn't take the cheesiness of Warmachine anymore and had it removed from my pull list with issue #5. Sadly, it will not be missed.

Sidenote: I'm a big Ares fan. Even written poorly, I usually like the character. How did Pak screw that up? And as for Rhodey being a "badass" killing-machine, Marvel still has the Punisher.

So Ares was written poorly? Okay, I disagree.

As for Rhodey being a killing machine, he WASN'T. If you actually read past the first issue you'll see why he has been going around the world killing genocidal regimes and war criminals that everyone else ignores. You'll also see him go out of his way and risk his own life to save innocents.

And what bugs me about the typical criticism of this book is that people act like Pak is doing all this completely oblivious to what he's actually doing. But then if you actually read the dialogue between Ares and WM, you'll see that he's not only completely aware of it, but he addresses it head on.

But I guess those are just silly details.

Pak does give it some justification, but it doesn't really change the fact that Rhodey's still behaving like a bloodthirsty killing machine. I mean, there were reasons why everything in Spider-Man's Clone Saga happened, too; but they still didn't make it good.

Mini-reviews for 4/29:

Dark Reign: The Cabal-- Well written, well illustrated, kind of pointless overall. I'm glad that Marvel included some extra pages for the price, but the impact of this issue is pretty non-existent. Definitely not bad, but nothing of importance either. Meh. 3/5 mostly because Granov is amazing.

Thunderbolts #131 -- I love the Thunderbolts, I really do. Might be my favorite title. However, this arc has sucked so bad. I love Deadpool, but maybe he shouldn't be in some titles. This story has sucked, the art doesn't fit the title's dark tone, and this story line seems a little soon. The team isn't even fully formed yet! I never thought I'd give the Thunderbolts a rating like this, but 1/5. I really hope the next arc picks the title back up.

Warmachine -- No, dear God, No. The title cannot suck this bad nor can it get any cheesier. Title officially dropped with this issue. 1/5

Dark Avengers -- I have neither love nor hate for Bendis, but this title is great! Not quite as good as Ellis on the Thunderbolts, but still good. I don't hate Bendis' dialogue for once, and I think he actually writes a great Bullseye. Everyone else is passable. Deodato is one of the best -- his artwork and layouts are astounding. Despite the price, I highly recommend this book! 4/5.

I also bought Captain Britain and MI13 issues 1-8 online, but have yet to receive them. Looking forward to reading this!

As for Rhodey being a killing machine, he WASN'T. If you actually read past the first issue you'll see why he has been going around the world killing genocidal regimes and war criminals that everyone else ignores. You'll also see him go out of his way and risk his own life to save innocents...

But I guess those are just silly details.

I gave Pak five issues and the introduction from New Nation, I tried to like the book and I gave Pak a more than fair shot. And about Ares not being written poorly, maybe if a professional author who just happens to write about Marvel's god mythology on a permanent basis had picked up a Marvel handbook or did a quick wikipedia search, he would have known that it is impossible for Ares to become infected by a virus. For christsakes, I've never read Thor or Hercules and I know that much.

Anyway, you like Warmachine. That's great. However, sales have shown that you're in the minority. This series won't live past issue #12 before cancellation.

I also bought Captain Britain and MI13 issues 1-8 online, but have yet to receive them. Looking forward to reading this!
Let us know what you think when you read them. Lord knows the series could use some more readers. Those of us who already love it have been bracing ourselves for the seemingly inevitable cancellation announcement for two arcs now.

Pak does give it some justification, but it doesn't really change the fact that Rhodey's still behaving like a bloodthirsty killing machine. I mean, there were reasons why everything in Spider-Man's Clone Saga happened, too; but they still didn't make it good.
What exactly has he done since issue #1 that was so bloodthirsty? Was it when he flew in front of his own missiles to detonate them before they hit soldiers in the second issue or are you talking about when he absorbed the Ultimo virus from everyone infected in order to save them/avoid killing them because they were innocent?

It was great to see Spider-Girl's adventures continuing in Amazing Spider-Man Family. It picks up right where her last issue left off, and this is the perfect place for her book to be. Now, if they can only improve on the rest of the "family."

I did miss that the classic Spidey adventures were left out of the book, now. It seemed the book wasn't as thick. Plus, I think Spidey has a much better supporting "family" than Spider-Ham. Is anyone really dying for his adventures??

What exactly has he done since issue #1 that was so bloodthirsty? Was it when he flew in front of his own missiles to detonate them before they hit soldiers in the second issue or are you talking about when he absorbed the Ultimo virus from everyone infected in order to save them/avoid killing them because they were innocent?
He didn't do anything too heinous in the issues past #1, but the implication that he's still practically aching to kill virtually everyone he meets is there. Plus, there was that whole retcon about wanting to burn ants in his childhood, implying that Rhodey's always been this way--only Pak had to retcon that in because nothing we've seen of Rhodey in the decades he's been around supported that to begin with. Add to that the fact that he was his normal self in Avengers: The Initiative before his series started (but when he still had cybernetic parts) and even an issue of Invincible Iron Man that came out around War Machine #4 and Rhodey's just all over the place right now.

Not to defend War Machine but that wasn't him that was burning the ants initially. Glenda was the one doing it, he said it was wrong and then she pressured him into it (although he got a whooping before he had the chance).

Edit:

I don't get your new avatar, Corp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"