Bought Thought Thread 06/09/06(SPOILERS)

Citizen_Kaine

Sidekick
Reaction score
Uh didn't really see a BT already, or for that matter any comic reviews anywhere(Are comics delayed for the US this week?)

Detective Comics: Plants are attacking Ivy, and Bat's has to find out why. Building up Ivy as a sympathetic character throughout the book, makes the twist at the end that much better [blackout]She was actually feeding people to her plants, which caused their consisnous to form into a plant growth called Harvest [/blackout] Bats saves the day, and Ivy becomes a little weary around the green - 8/10

Freindly Neighborhood Spider-Man" Didn't enjoy at all, but than again I usually hate Mysterio story's and given that their are three of them in here, I may have a slight biasm towards it. So Peter walks around Mysterio's traps, and falls for his tricks like always, and demonstrates some more of his suits new powers :eyes: Honestly, I lol'ed at the last page, [blackout]he looked like a cracked egg, not a gunshot victim [/blackout] 6/10

Uncanny X-Men: I like Brubaker and I like this team. However 12 issue story arcs are always drawn out covulted and padded (Maximum Garbage). This issue gives us plenty of action at least, making up for last issues Vulcan floating through space. However nothing really happens, [BLACKOUT]some Skrull soldiers show up, and the two surviving Shair crew plan to rat out Xavier[/BLACKOUT] 7.5/10

Phoenix Warsong: I didn't read Endsong, but I understand the general gist of the Phoenix force and the Cuckoos. Not a bad opening issue, with the usual[blackout] Phoenix destory's everyone dream seqeunce, Wolverine getting burned to a crisp, Kid Omega, showing off his mohawk, and the Cuckoo's appearing to manifest a combined version of the Phoneix. Also Esme and Sophie are ressurected as Zombies, on the last page [/spoiler] 7/10

Uh what else did I read....

*scratches head*

Punisher: Soooo dropping this book when War Journal comes out. Sick out the art, sick of the forced "realism" with the word **** being added to every sentence, and I've definatly had enough with Frank dropping every crook he makes a deal/truce with, yeah feeding a drug dealer/gangster to a shark now and than is fine, but constantly shooting them after they've helped him in a gun fight, especially after one says he's "going straight", to "be sure" is just sadistic. Garth, I loved Knights, and you'll find no bigger fan of Confederacy of Dunces, but now that I have a choice, this isn't the type of Punisher I want to read anymore.

Beyond: This series is just great. I love the 80's adventure feel to it, and I love the suprise endings to each issue. I just wish the cover's didn't reveal every single plot point ahead of time! [BLACKOUT] Venom with dead Spidey, Deathlock, and now Space Phantom as Spider-Man[/BLACKOUT]
Kind of annoying, I did like Kraven's attitude towards "Peter" in the issue, which goes to show you the character of Pete, and how his actions positivly influence others. Once again, Hank Pym slapping his wife around is mentioned. Somebody told me a while back, that this is mentioned in every recent appearance of Pym. He might not have been far off...
8/10

Seems like all of the Civil Wars have been pushed back considerable.

Only thing I got this week that is an issue from THIS week is Hunter Killer 7. Yes, 7!! So soon after 6. Wow :)
Warning - There's SPOILERS:
The issue is basically the start of the origin of Morningstar, with him coming clean to Ellis beacause he already knows a lot of it. There's no great surprises here seeing as we've already seen the scene with Kennedy after Bay of Pigs, where Morningstar takes over the free world, although the double page spread with George Bush is hilarious. Morningstar takes a (personal) train to the White House and tells Ellis that the ruler of the world is in the room above, only to enter the oval office! George Bush is just sitting there, Ellis is in shock, but then Morningstar tells Bush to "Get out." and it becomes predictably clear who's the Czar. George moves his dumb ass out the door and Morningstar helps himself to a cigar. Sweet.
Anyway then cue origin (which is continued to next issue and so I won't presume to know it all clearly yet). The only other thing of note here is that Morningstar is the creator of the gene enhancing "tattoos" and is 91 years old. Or was it 93...? Meh. OLD.
Meanwhile, Sam and her team are on the trail of another psycho ultra sapien with another creatively original power, although I suspect it's simply a reality altering one. Again it's continued to next issue, when Wolf makes his return. I also think we're back to 4-week schedules proper. Here's hoping there's no more surprises because one day I'm going to miss an ish. and then i'll cry :(
Average issue, one I would have liked them to bundle with the previous as a double sized issue for discounted price - just to make up for all the delays. Shame. 7/10

Also got my ordered issue of young avengers/ runaways #2 - unimpressed, really. Not as good as #1 and I didn't buy into some of the characterisation - the drawback of having somebody write another person's characters.

Got NA #23 on impulse. Have no idea why. I'd previously downloaded it and thought it was alright but didn't want to purchase. Luckily enough though it was the sketch variant. Yep, that went straight on e-bay :D

Bought 100 bullets volume 1 (that review's not for here but :up:)

And I started my first folder/ pull-list/ reserved copies at my LCS (Help! What am i supposed to call it when I ask for it??). Hopefully I'll never have to miss an issue again (Be happy for me:))

hippy fascist said:
regular order/pull-list
I'll go with "regular order." Shame it's such a short list though :( And I actually forgot to put Hunter Killer on it despite buying it :o

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man
Amazing Spider-Girl
New Avengers
Runaways
Young Avengers/Runaways
Civil War

Icon:
Criminal
Powers

Image:
Invincible
Fell

52 will have to be irregular pick-ups. I can't afford ALL of them.

Uncanny X-Men #478 - another quality issue, especially now that we're back with the main cast. Given that this is a 12-issue arc, things are somewhat slow, but I get the sense that Brubaker is trying to develop a strong team dynamic with the book's cast before they get into the real action. On that level, the book is a great success; the team's adventures sees them interacting essentially in pairs, with Xavier as the seventh wheel. Havok and Polaris, of course, have so much history (a lot of it negative of late, and badly written), but seem to have fallen back into their old groove; Nightcrawler and Darwin chat a bit; Xavier's other old hand the new recruit. We get more insight into Darwin's powers, and, based on this, he could be basically unstoppable. Also a nice little mention of the Annihilation Wave.

***1/4 out of ****

X-Men Phoenix Warsong #1
Frankly, it was a disappointing read from one which had seemed so promising. Perhaps it was a delusive move to expect greatly from Warsong, but it was only natural. It was unfortunate that they did not bring back the people who did the art for Endsong, namely Greg Land. I would gauge my eyes out rather than look at that wretched cover art again. Clearly, it is NOTHING compared to any of the Endsong covers, but, surely, most of you already know that. Hopefully, the mini will pick up as it goes because I am nearing the certainty to dropping this title, but at this stage, it is not entirely inconceivable.

[/rant]

Spoilerific giveaway, vide infra.

Cuckoos start to hear voices in their heads. They are up and about, out of their beds, wandering around, and following the telepathic voices. Hellion, being his usual self, intentionally flirts with the Cuckoos as they pass by. The voice explains how "the stupid little warblers" never asked the obvious question; WHAT IS A CUCKOO? The three girls, Celeste, Mindee and Phoebe, appear to be standing in the graveyard while Logan, Kitty and Piotr are having drinks outside of the mansion, Beast doing his usual routine in his laboratory, and Scott and Emma sleeping in their bedroom. Celeste points out that they are at their sisters's graves, Esma and Sophie. The voices return and the Cuckoos start to levitate away from JEAN GREY-SUMMERS's tombstone. Emma wakes up to a ringing phone. Scott takes it and as Emma hovers above her bed after Scott hangs up the phone, she burns Scott to his flesh. The X-Men come to his aid, but go down in the crossfire. The Phoenix has consumed Emma and she flies out of the mansion, demolishing everything in sight. The next panel shows the whole world being engulfed in flames. Emma wakes up again and realizes that it was merely a dream. Scott tells her that there is something wrong. Emma is in her diamond form as they step out of the bedroom and into the hallway. The Cuckoos are flying around outside and, apparently, not following orders from the Sentinel Squad O*N*E. Emma brings them down with her telepathy. She locks them somewhere in three separate confined spaces. Emma forces the Cuckoos to tell her what they have been hiding. They refuse and, again, Emma telepathically rapes their minds. The Cuckoos wake up in their bed and are determined to find out what else they are capable of. The X-Men have a meeting and Emma tells them of her dream. The Cuckoos have their sessions with three separate X-Men; Celeste with Beast, Phoebe with Wolverine and Mindee with Emma. The girls can't stand it anymore. They reunite and form a fiery Phoenix, burning Wolverine to crisp. Emma is severely injured, Kid Omega gives a wary look from inside his cyrotube, and zombified Esma and Sophie rise from their graves.

Admittedly, I did enjoy the last few panels. The first half seemed to drag on, but to my surprise, it improved slenderly in the second half. However, I am in a perpetual state of wonder. Why the BLAZES did they not bring back Greg Land? Do satisfy my unmindful curiosity.

Overall, it's too early to tell whether if it is as good as Endsong. But I can say, it started off fairly weak.

6/10

Uncanny X-Men #478
Before I start, the tiny headshots are exhilarating. I love them. I have never been more hooked. It is easily ranked alongside with its sister titles, ASTONISHING X-MEN and X-MEN. Brubaker is a GENIUS, making writing seem effortless, however cliché that may sound. I cannot praise this book enough.

As usual, I come bearing gifts.

At the Chandilar, Commander N'ruto informs Chancellor K'tor of the Imperial Guard being dispatched to confront the rogue warship, which Vulcan is in control of. Fifty-five percent of the Shi'ar stargates have been destroyed along with the support ships and crews maintaining them. We cut to Marvel Girl, telepathically reading a Shi'ar support ship. Xavier, Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Marvel Girl, Warpath and Darwin enter the ship. Xavier is in his astronaut suit, disguising himself because of his current status as a wanted man in the Shi'ar Empire. Marvel Girl uses her telepathy to brainwash one of the aboard Shi'ar men to refuel their ship. Havok and Polaris discuss Xavier, Cyclops and Jean as they search the ship. Somewhere, Nightcrawler is with Darwin. Darwin admits that he doesn't appreciate the way Xavier is being overprotective of him. Back to Havok and Polaris's, they discover a massacre inside a locked room. We cut to Darwin and Nightcrawler as Darwin reveals that he can speak Shi'ar. Nightcrawler is suddenly shot at, but teleports just in time. The yellow beam from the gun breaks the window, sucking Darwin out of the ship. In the next panel, we discover that Darwin is unharmed and floating outside of the ship. Apparently, he doesn't need to breathe to survive. Back inside the ship, Marvel Girl gets a sudden headache. She senses vague danger as Darwin lands onto one of the windows of the ship and tries to warn them from the outside. Out of nowhere, a Skrull attacks Warpath and Marvel Girl with its weapon, but fortunately, Warpath ducks in time along with Marvel Girl. Nightcrawler comes to their aid and teleports the Skrull outside of the ship, choking it with lack of oxygen, but activates the airhead-suit just in time. Inside, Marvel Girl is in pain and Warpath states that they are fighting War Skrulls and one of them has an implant, designed to make telepaths sick, causing them to be vulnerable. Warpath reminds Marvel Girl that she is not just a telepath. Xavier agrees before he is caught by a War Skrull. It violently grabs his helmet and takes it off as Havok plunges himself at the War Skrull, with Polaris trailing behind him. Havok attacks it with plasma blasts. Meanwhile, Xavier informs Polaris of the implant that is hurting Marvel Girl and orders her to do a "brain surgery." Marvel Girls recovers and gives the last War Skrull a full mind-rape. Somewhere downstairs, Darwin is climbing down a ladder. Nightcrawler teleports to the location and compliments him on his unusual survival. Darwin tells Nightcrawler that he spotted a few Shi'ar inside a room the opposite of them while he was outside of the ship. Nightcrawler teleports to the other side of the room to investigate. There appear to be two Shi'ar inside the room. They explain to Xavier, Marvel Girl and Nightcrawler about how Vulcan had destroyed their ship and how they foolishly rescued the War Skrulls disguised as one of their people. The Shi'ar survivor tells them they were spared of their lives because their Code would not allow them to kill any who saved them. Xavier allows the two Shi'ar survivors to tag along the ride. Nightcrawler protests, but Xavier insists. Outside in private, the two Shi'ar recognize Xavier as the wanted man of the Shi'ar Empire and they plan to deliver him to justice. In a Shi'ar high security prison, a man is being held prisoner. His jailer visits him and speaks of how he had his brothers killed and his mother sterilized. He identifies the prisoner as Korvus of the Rook'shir. The Shi'ar jailer tells the Rook'shir prisoner of how he let him live only because he would need him one day and that day have come. He offers the prisoner a deal and the prisoner accepts. "What do I have to do?" Korvus asked. "What do you think?" the Shi'ar jailer asked smugly. "Something that only the Blade of the Phoenix can do."

I, for one, HATE space and anything related to it, including Brood, Shi'ar and so forth. Surprisingly, reading the Shi'ar, Brubaker style, is tolerable. As a matter of fact, I actually ENJOYED it. Maybe I don't hate it as much as I had thought. The fights were splendiferous. It was elating to see an actual all-out X-Men fight. For whatever understandable reason, Nightcrawler yelling out for Darwin as Darwin was getting sucked out into space was incredibly moving. I don't know what it was, but the look on Nightcrawler's face was breathtaking. Props to Brubaker and Tan. The same could also be said for the panels of Havok propelling to save Xavier from getting his skull crushed like a watermelon. Speaking of, Darwin, apparently, still has undiscovered powers. He can what? Fire-proof skin, night-vision, functional gills, increased intelligence and converting his body into pure energy? AND to top it all off, he doesn't need to breathe nor can he be harmed while in space. There's more to him than he thinks. The brief, but comical, moment between Warpath and Polaris was hilarious.

WARPATH: Hey, I had most of them...
POLARIS: Well, that one is still conscious. Kick him.
WARPATH: Good point. [KKRK]

A great read. Pick of the week.

9/10

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #12
First off, may I just say, I shat myself laughing reading Page 6 and 7 when Spidey faked his downfall to lure out Mysterio. "Wait a minute. He doesn't know that. Might be a way to lure him out. ARRRRRHHHH!!! NO! GET AWAY!!!! MONSTERS! MONSTERS EVERYWHERE!!! Too many of them! I can't fight them--! Noooo! NOOOOOO!!! THE HORROR! THE HORROR!" Just sheer comical brilliance. Usually, I don't take much liking to Mysterio, but not this time, so it seems. I can see now why many of the Mysterio fans like him, despite the tardiness.

Play dead. Bonus arrive.

The school is wholly covered in black smoke. Cops are trying to keep the bystanders and protestors away. The REAL Mysterio, so he says, arrives to offer help and expose the impostor. Mysterio walks to the smoke and into the school while inside, Spider-Man is trying to find his missing students. He notices suspicion green smoke and decides to fake his craze to trick Mysterio out of hiding. He realizes that it is a futile attempt when Roger suddenly appears unharmed by the green smoke. Spider-Man senses danger and ducks with Roger as a flock of bats come flying at them. A woman calls out to Peter. Mary Jane is being held by bats above ground and they disappear into the green smoke. Spider-Man goes after her with Roger running to catch up behind. Meanwhile, the green Mysterio confronts the orange Mysterio in the auditorium. The green Mysterio teleports, attempting to blow the orange Mysterio's body from inside out, but fails when the orange Mysterio decides to teleport to the green Mysterio's original position, avoiding his demise and backfiring the green Mysterio's plan. The green Mysterio says that the orange Mysterio can't be Quentin Beck because he is dead and the orange Mysterio says Quentin Beck doesn't disagree. The orange Mysterio tells the green Mysterio that his new associates are very interested in the outcome in proving who the real conqueror is between the green Mysterio, the orange Mysterio and Spider-Man. In a hallway, Flash, Arrow and their students are lost. Flash decides to run through what he thinks is a booby-trapped hallway. He makes haste and pushes open the doors to find Arrow and the students, standing in front of him. Flash tries again, but with Arrow and the students. The floor drops from under Flash and reveals a one-eyed, multi-tentacled monster, waiting to devour unwary victims. Somewhere in the school, Spider-Man finds Mary Jane in the hands of Morbius. Mary Jane calls Peter for help, but he lets Morbius go along with Mary Jane in his hands after noticing that she isn't wearing her wedding ring. Roger asks if she had been wearing it and it fell off. Spider-Man calls the REAL Mary Jane at the Avengers Tower. He saves Roger from a falling weight while talking to her on the phone. Meanwhile, Flash is trying to not fall to the one-eyed, multi-tentacled monster. He tells Arrow to get the students and run. Jeremy runs back to Flash, gets out a Swiss Army knife and stabs the monster's tentacle. He pulls Flash out of the booby-trapped hole and they flee with the rest of the group. Arrow gets pulled into a locker as it closes and locks itself. Flash tries to reopen it and it does, but Arrow is nowhere to be seen. Spider-Man encounters the green Mysterio in the gym. Another green Mysterio appears and says that he will aid Spider-Man to stop the other green Mysterio. Spider-Man, obviously, didn't expect this. Somewhere in the school, another locker spits Arrow out. The orange Mysterio appears in a puff of red smokes. He identifies himself as Quentin Beck and takes off his helmet, only to show Arrow his head, but with a quarter of it missing.

Every page put a smile on my face and I am in no way joking. Not only because of the art, but because of the witty jokes AND especially, Mysterio. Hopefully, he won't bash my face in for saying this, but Mysterio reminds me greatly of Bison. Which is not that strange since they both often talk in third person. The art suits perfectly. I loved the "mano a mano" exchange.

SPIDER-MAN: No more sneaking around or misdirection. You and me, mano a mano! Man-to-man!
MYSTERIO: Mano a mano means "hand-to-hand," you idiot.
SPIDER-MAN: Right. I knew that. Just like I knew taunting you would draw you out.

I applaud Peter David.

I have only one complaint; ENOUGH of these Stan Lee and Avatar ads already. They take up the ENTIRE two pages. My fingers are unhappy.

9/10

Spider-Man Special: Black and Blue and Read All Over #1
Either Johnson must be a clone of McNiven or Hollowell has a really consistent coloring hand. That is, unless he uses computers. I immediately thought of CIVIL WAR art when I flipped over the first page. It's great coloring.

Why they used yellow narration bubbles in the first panel, I haven't the slightest clue. "Deadpool?" I first thought, naturally.

As it clearly says, "this story takes place before the events of Civil War."

Peter is in a diner with Aunt May. He clearly has issues that have been bothering him. He's been having a dream every night about being locked up in a super-villain prison. They talk about why the Vulture often comes back and not stay in prison for life. Peter tells May of the earlier incident that a cop let the Vulture get away after fighting Spider-Man, even though he had a gun. Peter says that he asked why he let him go. "That's your job," the cop said. The exact same words Peter used to excuse himself from stopping the thief that later killed Uncle Ben. May tells him that Uncle Ben would have been happy he was killed if he had known the hero Peter would become because of his death and that he would have given his life freely, as would her. May urges Peter to reveal his secret identity. Peter protests because revealing his secret identity would mean danger for Mary Jane and May, and of how his whole life has been about protecting it, but May wants him to be free. Spider-Man makes a stop at the Daily Bugle. He barges into Jonah's office and wants to tell his story in the first three pages of the Wednesday edition. He says that he would unmask the day after the release of his story. Jonah ponders, but accepts the deal shortly after. After a two-page MASKED MENACE SPEAKS OUT, we cut to Peter and Mary Jane's apartment. Mary Jane is dressed in a Spider-Man costume, but only much shorter. They go to bed and Peter stays awake throughout the night to morning. Jonah stands in front of the Daily Bugle Media Plaza building, waiting for Spider-Man to arrive. Spider-Man drops from the sky and before he could unmask himself, another man in a Spider-Man costume steps in front of him. It turns out that the whole city people have dressed themselves in Spider-Man costumes and unmask themselves, including Aunt May. Peter Parker also unmasks himself and Jonah is outraged at this and goes back into the building. Peter drops a tear as the cop that let the Vulture escape also unmasks himself. May, Peter and Mary Jane are reading the Daily Bugle newspaper with the headline, SPIDER-MAN BRAINWASHES NEW YORK CITY. Clearly, Jonah is bitter. Peter goes to bed, smiling, while Mary Jane plays cards beside him. "Pleasant dreams," she says.

Nothing really major. I did like the art and the two-page MASKED MENACE SPEAKS OUT was easily the highlight of the book. It was refreshing to hear his side of the story on newspaper. Ironically, there were PHOTO BY PETER PARKER stamped all over the two-page article and he was going to reveal his secret identity the next day. Talk about the expression, "right under one's nose." Worth the price, but don't necessarily take my word for it.

7/10

Nice reviews above. :up:

I'm definitely looking forward to Uncanny and haven't made a commitment to Warsong yet so this is quite helpful. I'm looking for some good Spidey titles to pick up as a one off (I don't collect any of the ongoing titles anymore due to space constraints :( :( :( ) so I might give FNS a flick through next time I'm down the shop, which could be a while :cmad:.

Decently sizeable week with some variation in quality. It's a double dose of Marc Silvestri and some Marvel releases that make you wonder, "why?", even if they're not exactly terrible.

And a non-CW week. I know those "delays" are going to inflate normally slow weeks into wallet busters, but frankly I'm enjoying the rest from the overkill. There's only so much "event" story you can take at once.

A day late due to Labor Day, and as always, X-Treme Spoilers.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 9/7/06:

52 WEEK #18:
"Review proof, you either like it or your don't by now," blah blah blah. This week after all the hoopla about the return of Lobo last issue, the "space trio" aren't even seen, and the issue zips back to Earth for Shadowpact hyjinks, Booster Gold's funeral and more adventures in Kahndaq. As someone who never read SHADOWPACT or much of DC's mystical stuff, I was admittedly a little lost in the beginning, but thankfully the Shadowpact themselves are introduced and you can get by and enjoy the tale without being a hardcore DC continuity veteran, a lost art for a lot of titles. Apparently some poor schmuck that was key to one of Det. Chimp's (I swear to god, the love affiar between comics and talking monkies has got to bloody stop) allies was mystically liquified behind a locked door with the helmet of Dr. Fate (DC's equalivent to a Sorceror Supreme) appearing on his head shortly before the wetness. As such, Chimpie goes to Ralph Dibney, last seen freaking the hell out after almost reviving his dead wife. It appears he's reclaimed control of himself again (and isn't living in robes under an underpass, ranting to himself) and as he's DC's go-to meta-detective (at least since Batman lacks a public address). They get the pact together and the helmet seemingly talks to Dibney, offering him the power of Dr. Fate that can inable him to do whatever he wants, even resurrect his wife, if he's prepared to go through the trials and such. However, as no one else hears this mystical speach, it's the old ULTIMATES trick; did the helmet really mystically "choose" Dibney as his successor, or is the ex-rubberman just looney? Elsewhere, Kent and Skeets attend Booster's lonely funeral, held in a state he never visited because supposedly he's become so unpopular. Which sucked as Booster still had friends from his JLI days who surely would have showed for his funeral, despite his current scandal. Fire? Vixen? Guy Gardener? Anyone? As Kent said, it seemed too many forgot all the good he did when he started going "bad" again. Skeets ended up finding one of Booster's "ancient ancestors" (he won't be born for another 500 years), and one wonders if this is going to screw up the timeline even more (meddling with someone's great great great great great great grandfather to the 10th power). Meanwhile, Charlie gets a medal from Black Adam for his help in thwarting the Intergang bombing, but Montoya is still taking "shooting a kid" hard by boozing and making it with the lesbian sex, which gets interuptted. The bunch of them seem united in stopping Intergang, and lord knows you don't want to upset the lost prince of Atlantis...er, Kahndaq. What? The inspiration is obvious, but Adam seems more relatable as his country is in the Middle East, something we all have become more familiar with. And Question gets an origin page, with Lobo set to return next month. The concept of Dibney becoming Fate is something I wouldn't have expected, so it wins points. Not sure if Skeets meddling with Booster's ancestors is a good thing, though. "Time is broken" indeed. Not as good as some past issues but still readable, enjoyable serial stuff, which is what 52 does best. And all of it rivetting without the "Big 3".

DETECTIVE COMICS #823: Paul Dini puts in another great Batman one-shot issue with yet another decent artist, but because his title lacks the star-power of Morrison/Kubert, it sells quite a bit worse (BATMAN is DC's #1 selling ongoing, while DET. seems set on the Top 30-40), which is an incredible shame because it is heads and tails better. Dini proves that he can tell perfectly capable Batman mysteries in the comic mythos without needing to knowtow to network standards on maturity. This one is more of a "psudeo science" one instead of a gritty noir mystery, as Batman has to solve why plants seem to be stalking and attacking Poison Ivy. It naturally climaxes in a big plant-monster fight involving hatchets and herbicides. But it all works because Dini keeps in the theme that deep down, Batman actually would like to see his enemies rehabilitated or at least have some goodness in them. The monster it turns out is a plant monster that Ivy fed her victims to, who now has their group consciousness and calls itself "Harvest", out for vengence. It ends with the mistess of botany now afraid of plants, which is a bit of a dark twist if you think about it. Robin is here too, but is actually fun and not annoying. The art also works out fine, and the fact that it has no "regular" artist really isn't a problem. The stories are one-shots that are loosely interconnected (the subplot of Riddler running a legit detective business is maintained, and there is a brief reference to the Dent story from OYL), not a 1-2-3- etc part "arc". Really, if you have any fondness for Batman at all as a character, from the cartoon or whatever, you're reading DETECTIVE. It's that simple. The best Batman comic on the racks, matched only by Matt Wagner's DARK MOON RISING material. Take that, Morrison!

And I still will take a plant monster over "Ninja Man-Bats". One has a legitmately creepy aura about it's origin and operation, and the other resembles a line for Kid's WB action figures.

HUNTER/KILLER #7: Well, I'll be! One month later and #7 is here! Granted, they promised monthly issues through December, and I still doubt it, but I'll get it while I can, now that I am caught up. I'm actually glad I did because the story is starting to go somewhere. Morningstar takes Ellis on a wild trip to explain the origins of the Ultra-Sapiens and the world as he knows it (or doesn't), and it's interesting stuff from Waid. Basically instead of nukes during the Cold War years, it was Ultra-Sapiens who were on the bargaining block, and Morningstar secretly forced JFK to surrender the nation to him during the "Cuban Crisis" era in order take it over. However, his motive so far isn't selfish, but to starve off a future holocaust that a time-travelling psychic called Cassandar had claimed was inevitable, but it seems to turn out that his efforts seem to only delay it, not prevent it. There still is more data that needs telling, of course. And Samantha leads her squad against another rogue Ultra. Another cog in the machine here, a "set-up" issue as it was, but a good one. The lateness (between the 7 month gap between issues 5 and 6, along with past late issue) means this book is maybe a year beyond schedule, whicn stinks as this is obviously a long, drawn out sort of tale. Hopefully it maintains some monthly status as it would be a drag, and a nail in the coffin, to delay things now that they're reaching a fevor pitch. Eric Basaldua takes over on art and does a good Silvestri imitation as I barely noticed the shift. That may also explain why the comic has returned to monthly art. ;) The cover is by Jim Lee, who is also on his own horribly late book, ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN (which he takes full blame for it being late, circa WIZARD #180). So, yeah, Top Cow is lucky I bothered with #6 and they better not screw up again on this book, because it now has my attention again.

AGENTS OF ATLAS #2: The last issue was a good enough start, with the major flaw being that there wasn't enough data given about the team members themselves, considering only half of them have gotten 2004-2006 era Handbook bio's and these are all OLD characters. Some of whom not seen in maybe 30+ years. Fortunately this issue addresses that concern a bit more, giving more in-depth looks at Gorilla Man and Marvel Boy's backstories. It seems the intent from Parker is to intertwine the origins of the team with their current adventure, rather than just start with one "full origin" issue and go from there. It made for a slightly confusing #1 issue, but for the crux of the mini itself it may work out better. Considering that Marvel's "random mini series starring really obscure characters" often hit free-fall in the sales, one wonders if a confusing #1 issue was wise. This title had some internet buzz, though, and is an enjoyable little yarn with these "out of retirement" heroes. Khanata goes over Marvel Boy's history with Mr. Fantastic and Dugan, before running into the little team, as well as a younger Jimmy Woo who doesn't recall anything past the 50's since that was the last sample of DNA Marvel Boy had. The agent manages to squeeze his way onto the squad by offering to tell them where their teammate Venus is; turns out she's in the same section of Africa where Ken Hale mystically became the Gorilla-Man, and runs about in perpetual toplessness. However, Woo's old enemy Yellow Claw, back from the Golden Age and about 30 years outdated himself as a "realistic" sort of villian, returns. But then again, heroes are STILL fighting Nazi's circa 2006, so maybe some revived "evil Orientals" isn't so bad. It's one of those titles like MTU or BEYOND! where you can just read solid superhero goodness with some quirky characters. It's not trying to reinvent the wheel, but it doesn't have to because it's solid on the fundamentals of the genre. Worth a read from any "event weary" Marvel fan who is enjoying the sort of adventure stuff from BEYOND and MTU. Speaking of which...

BEYOND! #3: I admit I wanted to read this since it was originally solicted, but I had no idea how bloody exciting and entertaining it'd be. If it was an ongoing title it might be smack-dab next to RUNAWAYS for the book I anticipate each month, but it's only a mini. McDuffie returns to Marvel and to Deathlok in this installment, and Kolin's pencils never looked better. Dragon Man also puts up a considerable fight for once as Deathlok's long absence from Marvel's fanfare is explained (nope, nope, it wasn't a loss of popularity or writer apathy, he's been offworld kiddies!) as he's been a prisoner of Beyond's Battleworld since he went there some time ago and exchanged his life for the lives of those who'd been assembled for that go of it. Firebird makes a very vibrant mark on the fight, but so far she still is the weakest link to me, the one character who seems to have little "voice" and just comes off as fairly generic and quiet. Medusa has the regal arrogance, Gravity the youthful rookie "optimism", Kraven the "braggart overachiever", Hood the cynic with a dark side, and naturally Deathlok, Dr. Pym and Wasp are defined. Firebird's just "the Hispanic fire-chick", no more, no less. Maybe she'll find a voice later on, but just getting it out there. I like Dr. Pym's power level here, back to his 90's days when he used his "particles" to grow supplies and be crafty instead of just being "Ant Man" or "Giant-Man" or whatever. Deathlok takes up a bit of the issue to reintroduce himself, but Gravity, Hood and especially Kraven have some big moments here. Kraven especially, who tracks down Spider-Man's "corpse", who has become an outright Marvel Zombie who can't be killed by normally fatal wounds, and can even walk after Hood blows out his kneecaps. It turns out, shock of all shocks, that this ain't Spider-Man, but a SPACE PHANTOM...! Dramatic pause. Oh, wait, no, it's not a surprise because Marvel solicted the cover of BEYOND! #4 shortly after #1 shipped that had Space Phantom on the bloody cover. So I saw it coming months ago, and that's a shame because it was overwise a somewhat interesting little plot twist. Although to be fair, once "Spidey" got gored in #1, you KNEW something had to be up. And as the strength of the story is on the B and C listers, not on Spider-Man at all, it's not a huge problem. It's like seeing Superman die in a JLA comic and then claiming you didn't see his survival (or impersonation) coming. Hell, Wolverine and a Skrull once pulled this trick in the 90's and milked it for months. Anyway, much like AGENTS OF ATLAS, this mini isn't here to reinvent the wheel or the status quo too much. It's out to tell an exciting superhero adventure and star some of those characters who need time to get fleshed, or need the exposure. In a way, it's a real shame that MTU is being cancelled, because I could really see McDuffie going on for an arc or two and having a ball of a time. Hopefully the fact that his DAMAGE CONTROL franchise are getting the "fun" sucked from them doesn't make him feel too bitter. Solid writing, good dialogue, B and C list characters shining, explosive battles, and plot twists, this is yet another title that if you're a CW weary Marvel fan, you're reading. And hopefully enjoying. I hope to see McDuffie stick around Marvel for a bit. We need more like him. Need a new name to chant in the "Slott! Kirkman! Vaughan!" chorus.

MARVEL TEAM-UP #24: The "prenultimate" issue of a dead book walking, MTU finishes out their FREEDOM arc, and sets up the final issue next month. Now, this title was the go-to place for stress-free Marvel superheroics for a good 2 years now, and while it is a shame to watch it linger on it's last steps, one has to acknowledge that to be fair, this title's sold horribly for at least the last 10 or so issues, and has been well below the Top 100 for the last 6 or so. In fact I expected Marvel to can it after LEAGUE OF LOSERS. But instead Marvel's allowing Kirkman to get his ducks in a row and tie up all the loose ends of his title, which means dealing with Iron Maniac and Titannus. Iron Man is on the cover but doesn't actually appear in the comic itself, which is interesting because with CW going on, one could claim that one of the only differences between Iron Man and Iron Maniac is that the Maniac is at least more blunt and honest (and an outright villian as opposed to a "morally misguided lone-wolf doing what he feels is right"). After beating the piss out of Spider-Man and Wolverine last issue, Iron Manic is out to raid Richard's tech, when Freedom Ring and his Skrull ally "Crusader" show up into the fray. They manage to hold him off enough for the New Avengers (Cap, Cage, Spider-Woman at least) to show up and defeat the Maniac, but at the cost of Freedom Ring's life. There is a part where Freedom Ring all but ANNOUNCES his powers, word for word, even throwing in their power source, to Iron Maniac, which leads directly to his death. Yes, I know he was a rookie, but that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a superhero do in recent memory, least outside of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. You're supposed to feel sympathy for Freedom Ring, a guy who got power and only wanted to do good with it and be a hero (and made a noble sacrifice), but in the end he was an inexperienced idiot, and died as such. I mean, GOD, was that dumb. Imagine if Martian Manhunter landed in front of someone and went, "You cannot defeat me, unless you have fire". Plus the ending is anti-climatic as after a good 2 issues of fighting, Iron Maniac gets TKO'd with a bonk on the head from Cap's "mighty shield". Skrull regeneration has also increased with the fact that more comic writers figured out that a shapeshifter could probably heal wounds, as Crusader was able to survive a hole through his chest. So yes, Freedom Ring dies, but his Skrull buddy gets his cosmic ring, and one wonders if that was his aim all along; befriending him, getting him killed in battle and then taking the ring for himself. In the back-up story, Titannus is unleashed against Baltimore, Maryland by some vengeful Japanese scientists who want retaliation for his attack on Tokyo a while back and don't believe the U.S.' version of things. It looks like #25 may be an all-or-nothing battle against Titannus again, only this time instead of Medina, we have Kuhn, who is easily the worst artist the series ever had. You can tell a book is dying not by announcements, but by when any halfway decent artist is suddenly yanked off the project and moved onto other things (Kolins on whatever, Medina on an X-title). This was better than some of Kuhn's issues, and he draws masked, armored, or monsterous people far better than he does with people, but there it is. I'll miss this title, and I wish it'd sold better so McDuffie could take over on it, but Kirkman's clearly not at his A-game on it anymore, so I can accept saying farewell to it next month.

SPIDER-MAN: BLACK & BLUE & READ ALL OVER: A very awkward release for Marvel this week. The first thing you notice is that the names of the writer & artist aren't on the cover. You need to go halfway in to see them, Jim Krueger and Drew Johnson, who both do a good job. Secondly, while the interior claims that it takes place "before CIVIL WAR" (or even PRELUDE from the looks of it), it's a story that now seems worse than it is due to recent events, when for all intents and purposes it's a good one-shot little Spidey tale. Basically, Peter is haunted by nightmares after a cop lets Vulture escape Spider-Man because he says, "That's your job", the same words Peter once used to allow the Burglar to escape, who killed Uncle Ben. Wracked with feelings of hopelessness about his superhero career, Aunt May convinces him to offer his story to the mass media in order to make a difference in the world and be free of his guilt, that he feels he's not making a real difference. So Spider-Man makes JJ an offer he can't refuse; allow him a 3 page article in the Bugle, and the next day he unmasks in front of the building. He does, and while one could easily have figured out who Spider-Man was by his words (the first crook Spider-Man captures is the man who hours earlier killed Ben Parker, and Spidey alludes to it heavilly; anyone with access to old article or police files could figure out that Spider-Man was likely Peter Parker), but aside for that it's a brilliantly written narrative from Spider-Man that feels very genuine. The next day he so inspires the public by it that dozens, of not hundreds of people, unmask and claim to be Spider-Man, so much so that his identity is safe. Krueger, on a post made at ComixFan Forums shortly after the preview came out, claimed he sold the script to Marvel "months ago", likely before CW came out. Considering how simular it is to some of the ASM CW issues (as well as CW #2), one gets the feeling that Marvel probably would have printed this in SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED, but as that book is cancelled, they figured they'd release it as a random one-shot in a Spidey-light week, stick on a reprint of ASM #12, and charge $4 for it. Even the cover, while very pretty, looks rather generic. It's a good story that I enjoyed reading, but much like with FF: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY, I wonder what the point of it was, other than to get an extra franchise book on the shelves for a week. For someone who has felt irked by some of Spider-Man's CW actions and characterizations, and who hasn't liked the core book enough to read for a long time, it was a solid, enjoyable Spider-Man tale that had an uplifting ending, much like when the masses rally to protect Spider-Man despite JJ's media machine in the movies. In fact, if this story was sold to Marvel before CW, one wonders if the editors simply thought, "hey, let's do this in the regular books with JMS and Millar" and ripped it the hell off. After all, JMS and Millar are big name writers; Krueger is hardly a big name. An enjoyable, if not awkward story that makes you wonder about Marvel's editorial machine.

To Be Continued...

One last book this week.

X-MEN: PHOENIX: WARSONG #1: The point of this book is clear. Apparently, Marvel feels there can never be too many X-Men books. And as Greg Pak's ENDSONG mini sold very well, why not give it a sequal (even if it seems a bit silly that a story called ENDSONG has a sequal). However, the problem with ENDSONG was that despite the fact that it was a solid story and sold well, it seemed a little pointless in terms of continuity, having little impact on the core title and leaving stores who overordered it still selling it for half price at conventions. So when Marvel can't figure out why these shops underordered DEADLY GENESIS, it lets you know how clueless they are. You can't overhype every X-mini under the sun, considering there are far too many X-books to begin with, and when said mini's prove to not be what you sell them as, to be believed the ONE TIME that a mini mattered (as the prelude to Brubaker's year on UNCANNY). It's called THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF, and I had to read it by kindergarten. Silvestri did the cover (he's never too busy for X-Men covers it seems) and Kirkham does the art, and his art is pretty good if not a little generic. But it works. Apparently the Stepford Cuckoo's, one of the few leftovers from Morrison's wacky run who haven't been butchered (yet) are going through a second mutation, but Emma senses something nefarious, the Phoenix returning to wreck havoc for the upteenth time. Of course Scott has to brush it off for story convience when you consider how often it comes up, you'd think he'd take it more seriously. I mean, it's like if Frost dreamt that the X-Mansion was about to be destroyed for the 3rd time that year. The trio prove to now be too powerful for Frost to mindprobe, so Beast and Logan try to work with them. The Sentinals are still guarding the Mansion, so you still have to acknowledge DECIMATION crap. The ending shows the Cuckoo's unleashing the Phoenix and reviving their lost sisters as zombies, which apparently is some big surprise except you have the TITLE, and the fact that the story was leading that way. It's like if the title of a series is DR. DOOM ATTACKS! and the first issue pretends the last page arrival of Dr. Doom is a surprising cliffhanger. Far too many first parts of mini's feel like a "going through the motions" thanks to decompression and this is one of them (the PRELUDE TO CW FF issues had the same problem). I mean, the issue isn't terrible, it's perfectly serviceable. I simply don't see the point of doing yet another rehash of the Phoenix except to add another X-book to the racks. The fact that the line can gather so many readers still despite such blatent stretching of the line and pointless rehashes has almost nothing to do with Marvel's editorial policy and all to do with obsessive fan devotion. Will it bare fruit this time? Especially without Greg Land's soft-core porn covers? The first issue reaks of "meh", and I'm wondering if I should bother with the rest. My wallet can't take too many more pointless comics that I don't completely enjoy.

As an aside to MTU #24, it's interesting to note that in a past NEW JOE FRIDAY article, Joe Q pretended that having an openly homosexual hero like Freedom Ring being the current star of MTU was a big deal, despite the fact that MTU was cancelled and just giving out it's death throws. Now add to it that Freedom Ring has what is argueably the dumbest superhero death of the year. Even dumber than Speedball deciding to bum-rush a house in Stamford in comparison. At least that was recklessly ambitious. This was bloody stupid.

Dread said:
. The best Batman comic on the racks, matched only by Kurt Wagner's DARK MOON RISING material. Take that, Morrison!

I didn't know Nightcrawler was writing comics. You'd think he'd be exclusive to marvel. :D

Wow. Is this even possible? A bought/thought thread that starts with reviews? Damn. I may have a heart attack :o

Jeez what a crappy week . .

The only thing mildly interesting to me is 52, and that's a weekly series . . and I'm a Marvel fan . .

DO you read 52 though? I've barely dabbled in DC and tried it recently only to stick to independents and Marvel. I think the only thing DC will have to offer me in the long term is Vertigo, but 52 is engrossing. You should really take that interest and go with it if you havn't already.

taskmaster said:
I didn't know Nightcrawler was writing comics. You'd think he'd be exclusive to marvel. :D
I meant Matt Wagner. I'm a geek and the fingers typed "Kurt". I editted.

Very slim week. FNSM was sold out, and it was a weak week as it is.

Uncanny X-Men- Man, Billy Tan really keeps blowing me away. I just can't believe this is the same artist I was introduced to a year ago. He really can draw this team, and he's every bit as crucial to selling me on this crew as Brubaker is. Nightcrawler and Darwin both look fantastic. Of course, Brubaker deserves just as much credit. He's really getting me interested in this story. 9/10

Transformers: Stormbringer- I really like how Furman's letting his imagination run wild. This new take on the Pretenders is pretty sweet. They look creepy, especially Bludgeon. It's also great to see the Wreckers. I really liked them in the UK series. 8/10

Also bought:
Ultimate Spiderman: Superstars (haven't read yet).

Uncanny X-Men #478 - 10/10
X-Men: Phoenix Warsong - 7/10

Didn't get to get the Beyond mini-series like I intended or Neighborhood Spidey like I intended either. The truck had new people and they ****ed up my shops order. :(. I'll have to go back tommorrow to get them.

1602: Fantastick Four came out this week, right? Anyone buy it? What did you think? I'm trade-waiting on it.

Citizen_Kaine said:
Phoenix Warsong: I didn't read Endsong, but I understand the general gist of the Phoenix force and the Cuckoos. Not a bad opening issue, with the usual[blackout] Phoenix destory's everyone dream seqeunce, Wolverine getting burned to a crisp, Kid Omega, showing off his mohawk, and the Cuckoo's appearing to manifest a combined version of the Phoneix. Also Esme and Sophie are ressurected as Zombies, on the last page [/spoiler] 7/10

Yeah, at least you tried :p

My fault for reading it though. :(

MyPokerShirt said:
Only thing I got this week that is an issue from THIS week is Hunter Killer 7. Yes, 7!! So soon after 6. Wow :)

Yeah, I almost went into shock lol.

Marcdachamp said:
1602: Fantastick Four came out this week, right? Anyone buy it? What did you think? I'm trade-waiting on it.

My store didnt have it for me this week.:(

Darthphere's Shake N' Bake Reviews.

52 Week 18-52 has finally IMO started to get the engines going as this issue continues its streak of solid, actual relevant issues. This issue explores the discovery of Dr. fate's helmet and its purpose. Detective Chimp seeks out Ralph Dibny to investigate this as the helemt has already killed a man. Along with the Shadowpact, they go to Egypt and Ralph has a conversation with the helmet as the Shadowpact looks on dumbfounded, as he speeds off with helmet in hand. In other news, Black Adam rewards "Charlie" and Montoya for stopping the terrorist child at his wedding, though Montoya is too busy doing the dirty dirty with a person of the female equation. Overall great issue really seemed like possibly the best so far. Booster's wedding was comedic and sad at the same time and look forward to see where this Daniel Carter crap goes. 8/10

Detective Comics #823-Paul Dini continues to rock the house on this title as this single issue focuses on a murder attempt on Poison Ivy. Batman takes her back to the Cave as he investigates why a plant like creature attacked her in Arkham. Of course, theres always a twist as Batman uncovers how Ivy has been feeding people as part of some sick experiment and the plant creature calling itself Harvest is really an amalgation of people she has murdered using this method. The art was pretty lacking, but not enough for me to complain too much. For my money, Detective Comics continues to be the best of the Bat titles. 9/10

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #12-The school Peter teaches at continues to be under siege by 3 Mysterios who have turned the school itno one big funhouse. PAD really did a bang up job this issue as the writing was funny and entertaining and the scenes with Flash just show you some people cant let go of the past. The last page by Nauck was creepy as hell and I look forward to more of this on the title. 8/10

Nightwing #124-The last Bruce Jones issue, and it had a Roy appearance.-10/10

At some point I expect to get these titles and will probably review them next week: Jonah Hex #11, Outsiders #40, 1602 Fantastick Four #1, Lone Ranger #1.

Like always, some late reviews.

Action Comics #842-Busiek and Woods, what a creative team. I wish they would stay on the title longer but of course thats not going to happen. The Auctioner or whatever his name is on Earth and auctioning off The Satue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower among other things to off world bidders, thats until he finds a more valubale iten, Metahumans. As he traps Superman up along with others like The Veteran and Bluejay, Nightwing and Fiestorm team up to help theme scape. A very entertaining issue, with some of the best covers ever, even with The Simpsons reference. Great run on Actions which I will be sad to see end. 9/10

Daredevil #88-This issue focuses on Foggy and is ****ing fantastic. Aja does the art as Foggy tries to relay to someone that hes alive to stop Matt from doing something stupid, but th FBI has him on lock. We really get inside his head about why hes done everything hes done. Glad to see Elektra get a shout out and overall a nice scene. Brubaker, needs to stay on this title forever. 9.5/10

Wonder Woman #2-I love this title. Heinberg has done a great job really bringing Diana into the OYL world. Sadly, not to his doing hes unable to call upon the reources other Wonder Woman writers had, the Greek Pantheon, Themysciara, but hes doing a great thing with the whole Agent Diana Prince schtick. We get to see how with Batman's and Clark help, she became a member of the Sarge Steel's agency. And of course, Cassie is a *****, but really is that a surprise, the chick thinks the world revolves around her or something. Either way, looks like Diana was ready to become Wonder Woman again only to be stopped by Hercules. Great issue. I love this Wonder Woman. 9/10

Booster tapped so much ass that he created a time paradox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"