BOUGHT/THOUGHT Thread for 6/21/06: SPOILERS Inside!

Kent said:
He's dropping down to just those five. That means he's not dropping them (at least that's how I read it).
Read it too fast. Well, either way, it sucks. Sorry

There is only one option, though. Download scans until you got the money to buy them. But that's not legal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Just saying. :)

Mr. Lex, you said you from australia? where about you from?
didn't happen to just watch the soccer did ya?

warren_sparta27 said:
Mr. Lex, you said you from australia? where about you from?
didn't happen to just watch the soccer did ya?
Yes, I did.

I've heard that the Socceroos won their World Cup match against Japan. That's about it, really. What'd I missed?

warren_sparta27 said:
we lost in the last minute against Italy, we really should of won :(
What?!?@!?#!@$$
$$?!@$#? Mutha f**ckin we lost?
@!?#!@?54!#rbwqehdbak :mad:

This is war! :o

Thanks for telling. Had no idea. :)

Ugh.

New Avengers #20
Instead of going on a surely incomprehensible rant which is sure to say nothing at all comprehensible, I'm going to let some more eloquent members of the internet speak their minds for me, seeing as how their words are the exact words that I feel on this issue.
Paul O'Brien of thexaxis.com said:
NEW AVENGERS #20 - Worth mentioning because it actually attempts to explain away the Xorn mess. Unfortunately, it doesn't explain it in a remotely comprehensible fashion, and Joe Quesada's attempt to explain the story over at Newsarama just makes matters worse, because his explanation certainly doesn't seem to match the story Brian Bendis appears to think he's writing. It's at this point that I put the comic down, switch off the computer, and head to a quiet room to bang my head against the wall. Really, is it that hard to explain basic plot points? I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm a reasonably intelligent and passably attentive reader. If I don't understand the plot, even after you've explained it, then it's your fault, not mine, because it means you don't know how to communicate your ideas in a remotely effective way. This is neither meaningful nor comprehensible - frankly, it's downright impenetrable - and that's really inexcusable in a mainstream superhero book. D+

anonymous blogger said:
Dear Bendis,

Thank you for bumping off Alpha Flight to make Xorn A-Xorn B-Magneto clusterfck even more clusterfully fcktastic. Before you do this sht, please take some drugs to make your solution to this bullsht more entraining.
Grant Morrison said:
Still...I can't believe the hellish gymnastics they went through to 'explain' plotlines which were already explained quite simply by the stories I wrote and wrapped up. Here's how to explain what happened - XORN was NEVER REAL, he was a DISGUISE for MAGNETO who went MAD ON DRUGS and DIED...but we know he always COMES BACK, somehow, so expect a dramatic return sooner or later, True Believers!

There. All neat and tidy, the way I left it.

Some closing thoughts: Before this issue, I liked the Collective as a villain. I thought the idea that a villain could have every single mutant power conceivable was just brilliant and cool, making him the most powerful entity in the Marvel universe, hands down, more powerful than Phoenix or Galactus or Dr. Strange. And then this issue comes out...and I want nothing at all to do with this bullsht ever again. Thanks Bendis!

(0 out of 10)

I do agree that as the Collective was easily the New Avengers' best enemy, its a shame that he and Alpha Flight were essentially wasted on the "Xorneto" mess-terpiece. I stick with my earlier idea that had all that "ambient mutant energy" had gone into a mutant AVENGERS foe, specifically Whirlwind (basically turning him into a god-like being), the Collective probably would have been more exciting.

Y'know what's funny? Bendis and Joe Q claim whenever they want to defend someone who wants to skirt over continuity (at least in the 1-2 years before they decided that continuity is vital, but only for a 70 chapter crossover event) that "too many comic writers get into the trap of explaining and explaining, rather than just write a story". Well, what it is this time, gang? What excuse from the House of Ideas will it be now? ;) Has Bendis and NA fallen into the "trap"? Or are you going to pretend your last statement didn't exist and defend how brilliant it is? Like O'Brien stated, the fact that Joe had to go on Newsrama to explain it (again) is rather telling.

I'm tempted to paraphrase the Joker from Paul Dini's MAD LOVE:

"If you have to EXPLAIN a story, there IS no story!"

Now that I've finally read Avengers #20 I can understand what all the buzz is about. I'm sorry that I don't agree with all the people that say that it was a good solution to 2 problems, I don't agree. I don't even care who wrote it, I'm not one of those guys that sees Bendis' name on something and immediately dislikes it. It could have been written by Mark Waid for all I care, it was still mediocre. You know what I think of it? If this comic were a pet you would have already rolled up a newspaper and you'd be telling it "Bad dog. BAD dog!!".:mad:

BrianWilly said:
New Avengers #20
Instead of going on a surely incomprehensible rant which is sure to say nothing at all comprehensible, I'm going to let some more eloquent members of the internet speak their minds for me, seeing as how their words are the exact words that I feel on this issue.

Some closing thoughts: Before this issue, I liked the Collective as a villain. I thought the idea that a villain could have every single mutant power conceivable was just brilliant and cool, making him the most powerful entity in the Marvel universe, hands down, more powerful than Phoenix or Galactus or Dr. Strange. And then this issue comes out...and I want nothing at all to do with this bullsht ever again. Thanks Bendis!

(0 out of 10)

Aces!!

:up: :)

Mr Lex Luthor said:
Read it too fast. Well, either way, it sucks. Sorry

There is only one option, though. Download scans until you got the money to buy them. But that's not legal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Just saying. :)

Yeah **** no, piracy sucks. :o
It's going to be a long 4 years. :(

Ben Urich said:
Yeah **** no, piracy sucks. :o
It's going to be a long 4 years. :(

But you'd be buying them eventually. I could understand if you downloaded the comics and never got them in paper, that would hurt the industry.

Colossal Spoons said:
But you'd be buying them eventually. I could understand if you downloaded the comics and never got them in paper, that would hurt the industry.

It would only hurt your comic book store really.

Darthphere said:
It would only hurt your comic book store really.

Well yeah. I'm not against pirating if you have every intention to buy later.

Captain America #19 - This continues to be the best book on the stands! Great intrigue and action in this one, with everything coming together for a great climax, as Cap, Sharon, The Red Skull and General Lukin, The Winter Soldier, Spitfire and Union Jack, and Crossbones and Sin are all about to run over eachother. Can't wait! Steve Epting continues to produce the best artwork on a comic series, and Ed Brubaker continues to deliver great stories every month! 10/10

Iron-Man #9 - This is shaping up to be a very interesting run from the Knaufs and Patrick Zircher. The art is great, but I don't care for the way the armor is drawn. 8/10

Eternals #1 - I've always been a fan of the Eternals, and Gaiman and Romita Jr. knocked the first issue out of the park. I can't wait to see where this is going, and Danny Miki is a great inker for JRjr.'s pencils, as this may be the best stuff he's done yet. 9/10

New Avengers #20 - Why is Wolverine even on this team? (besides sales reasons, so Bendis can claim it sells well because people like the book...) This story was a typical Bendis story. Started off with some promise, had a "dull" middle, and then fell apart at the end. This guy is really not a very strong writer, and I can't believe how many free passes he's given. Deodato provided some nice art, but it was another example of why Bendis is terribly over-rated as a writer. 3/10

Dread said:
I do agree that as the Collective was easily the New Avengers' best enemy, its a shame that he and Alpha Flight were essentially wasted on the "Xorneto" mess-terpiece. I stick with my earlier idea that had all that "ambient mutant energy" had gone into a mutant AVENGERS foe, specifically Whirlwind (basically turning him into a god-like being), the Collective probably would have been more exciting.

Y'know what's funny? Bendis and Joe Q claim whenever they want to defend someone who wants to skirt over continuity (at least in the 1-2 years before they decided that continuity is vital, but only for a 70 chapter crossover event) that "too many comic writers get into the trap of explaining and explaining, rather than just write a story". Well, what it is this time, gang? What excuse from the House of Ideas will it be now? ;) Has Bendis and NA fallen into the "trap"? Or are you going to pretend your last statement didn't exist and defend how brilliant it is? Like O'Brien stated, the fact that Joe had to go on Newsrama to explain it (again) is rather telling.

I'm tempted to paraphrase the Joker from Paul Dini's MAD LOVE:

"If you have to EXPLAIN a story, there IS no story!"

This is something, that I and many others have been saying about NA since day 1, if you have to explain your story to someone then it is a failure. If you have to have fans of the book, fill in plot gaps for the writer, then it is a failure as a story.
Simple put NA has failed on ever level except one, and unfortuantly it is the one that counts to marvel and that is sales. Shows that people will pick up a poor comic as long as it has spidey or Wolverine in it, or if the "hot writer is writing it". Oh well..

Xorn is going to be one of the things that Marvel would be better off burying in the bottom of the filing cabinet titled 'oops'. I don't see why he had to be used again and I didn't buy Bendis's reason for him seeking out Magneto in NA at all.

I wish the name Xorn could be mindwiped from my memory.

I'm so glad I dropped NA months ago... I don't understand why people still buy that garbage. Different strokes, I guess.

Mara Jane said:
I'm so glad I dropped NA months ago... I don't understand why people still buy that garbage. Different strokes, I guess.

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing.

Mara Jane said:

Sadomasochism.

Yeah I dropped New Avengers after the whole Ronin thing. I predicted that reveal maybe a week after that teaser came out. LAME.
What the **** are the Avengers doing fighting ninja anyway? Seriously. What's next, robot zombie cowboys? :confused:

Ben Urich said:
Yeah I dropped New Avengers after the whole Ronin thing. I predicted that reveal maybe a week after that teaser came out. LAME.
What the **** are the Avengers doing fighting ninja anyway? Seriously. What's next, robot zombie cowboys? :confused:

****, why are you giving them ideas?

OK...
So i read NA #20 this morning.
Worst comic book i have ever read or looked at.
Where in the hell did the vision come from? And what happened to Spidey in those two group shots, when the Zombies are rising? Is he swinging, no because if you look at the vision, he has the exact same body type as spidey. It's like Bendis just threw him in there just so he could say "This Xorn is not in my memory banks" or some such nonsense.
And then, oh this is the worst part- Magneto's death is so poorly handled, that it makes him seem like a he was the most minor character ever. WOW! He wrote a book, who gives a frak, i wanted to see the look on the Avengers' faces, the evil B**** who runs SHIELD. OH- and the Art, I'm not an artist, but i would be able to draw better than this rush job of a piece of crap.
Hopefully #21 can redeem it this week.
Why is #21 coming out a week after #20 came out?
I'll be back after four to discuss even more reasons why it was so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"