BOUGHT/THOUGHT Thread for 6/14/06: SPOILERS Inside!

52 #6
Amazing Spider-Man #532
Friendly Neighbour hood Spider-Man #8 and 9
Crisis Aftermath: Battle for Bludhaven #5
Green Arrow #63
Ms. Marvel #4
Nightwing #121
Civil War #2
Thunderbolts #103
Superman #653

good week.
oh course Civil War like teh previous issue was great. amazing artwork, and such a great story. Spider-Man is fast becoming one of my fav characters in teh marvel world.
Ms. Marvel was a good read aswell, i was a little lost in places not having read the first 3 issues, but it was still a good read.
Nightwing was ok, but did they really need to dress another person up as Nightwing :(
and of course this Superman crossover continues to be excellent.

Marcdachamp said:
Luke Cage as a traitor? Well, the only traitor I've heard of is on the Pro side, and that looks to be Sue Richards and/or Spider-Man.

As for the IC/CW debate... I'm admittedly not a big fan of Crisis. It was far too convoluted, the art was rushed (so much so that DC is supposedly "fixing" it for the HC), the story was weak and the ramifications weren't nearly as major as DC would have had us believe. I remember picking up Issue One and thinking "Wow, this could change the fabric of the DCU for years to come!". Instead, we saw minor characters get their heads blown off and incredibly minor continuity changes (did anyone really want Wonder Woman to be a founding JLAer again? Surely this was to appease the old-school DC loving Meltzer).

With Civil War, we have an intriguing philosophical debate. I feel like this is the kind of story that publishers are often afraid to tell. Marvel can't simply make things exactly as they were after Civil War. It's not possible. And, as scary as that seems, it's also wonderful. I've sung a lot of praise for Daredevil lately because the writers have sacrificed status quo for storytelling and the result has been one of the finest reads on the market. Imagine replicating that feeling in all of Marvel's books.
I actually liked IC, although I'll agree that it was just as willing to gleefully knock off C-Listers as Marvel is often accused of doing. But I liked that it had some old school superheroing. Plus there WAS a philosophical debate to it, and that was "old vs. new". The villians of the piece, Alex Luthor and Superboy-Prime (and Psycho-Pirate I guess), and for a while a manipulated Earth-2 Superman, felt they should undo the first "CRISIS" because they felt the world that was created afterward was tainted or "evil"; i.e. that the "old" ways were better, and the "new" ways of DC were darker, not as nice, that sort of thing. Of course, they were zealous in achieving those ends, and Superboy-Prime quickly became a butcher. Consider that when IC started, Marvel was doing HOM, which chose to ignore any sort of philosophical debate in the name of pointless exposition and chatter (and punching).

CIVIL WAR is shaping up to provide a good debate and have some taut storytelling, true, but I'm not one who likes a "burn all our bridges behind us" approach to comics, since its dubious. NOTHING lasts. It can't. If you have characters that never age, and stories that never end, you can only stretch them beyond their given format so far before they become something unrecognizable. Take Spider-Man; before he was a hero most people could relate to; now he's agrueably no different than a slew of DC heroes. He's been made more generic in the name of advancing a story.

Comics, Marvel in particular, always return to some sort of status quo after enough time; just ask anyone who liked Morrison's X-Men comics. That length of time averages about 1-2 years, or whenever the next movie comes out. I get that CW will likely provide Marvel with a few stories to do in the aftermath, but what then? Congrats, Spidey's ID is known. Some fun stories can come of it. But then you do them all. And then what?

The problem with "risks" is that they backfire, and the medium is one that usually returns towards a status quo eventually. Best to do stories that don't make that road so difficult that you need a retcon to do so.

Still, I'll admit CW's shaping up to be interesting.

BlackSymbiote said:
I usually love everything Kirkman does, but the Magician is just getting on my nerves. I hate characters who are all power. He's a Deus Ex Machina to the extreme (which would be a no pun intended if Vaughn were still on). I just hope Kirkman has SOMETHING big planned for him.
Maybe he'll turn against the team somehow? Become a traitor? That's usually the formula for teams after a while.

How many stories can you tell with him keeping his identity a secret, how long until things get old?

supermarvelman said:
How many stories can you tell with him keeping his identity a secret, how long until things get old?
You can tell alot it just depends on the guy or girl writing it. And JMS is just one of those people who can't write spider-man that way. Not many can thats why I think BKV,Kirkman,or slott should write spider-man there the best writers at marvel. Unlike JMS,bendis,Millar.

deathshead2 said:
You can tell alot it just depends on the guy or girl writing it. And JMS is just one of those people who can't write spider-man that way. Not many can thats why I think BKV,Kirkman,or slott should write spider-man there the best writers at marvel. Unlike JMS,bendis,Millar.
Frankly, I think Slott would be able to make the dreaded "formula", which is almost a curseword in today's "events sell books" environment, and remind everyone of why we all grew to love Spider-Man. He'd infuse it with humor and heart, and not be as afraid of the conventions of Spidey or Marvel superheroes as many writers who are so willing to "shock" us with an unmasking, a rape, a death, etc. I'd almost be willing to pay $3.99 an issue if it meant Slott on a core Spider-title.

Both Kirkman and Vaughan are goor writers, and have written some good Spider-Man stuff when they've had to (MTU, RUNAWAYS, respectively), but out of the 3, my wish would be Slott.

Dread said:
Frankly, I think Slott would be able to make the dreaded "formula", which is almost a curseword in today's "events sell books" environment, and remind everyone of why we all grew to love Spider-Man. He'd infuse it with humor and heart, and not be as afraid of the conventions of Spidey or Marvel superheroes as many writers who are so willing to "shock" us with an unmasking, a rape, a death, etc. I'd almost be willing to pay $3.99 an issue if it meant Slott on a core Spider-title.

Both Kirkman and Vaughan are goor writers, and have written some good Spider-Man stuff when they've had to (MTU, RUNAWAYS, respectively), but out of the 3, my wish would be Slott.
Oh im tired of big events deaths and ect. I want some good stand alone issues with him just fighting bad guys. I also want him using that collage brain of his hsan't really used that in along time.:(

Checkmate continues to be the best thing to come out of Infinite Crisis. Equal parts spy adventure and political drama add up to one helluva comic book from comics' most underrated writer - Greg Rucka.
Civil War is... intriguing, to say the least. I think it's done a better job of polarizing fans than Infinite Crisis did, but then again Infinite Crisis wasn't about polarizing fans, so there you go. The main problem I have is with Mark Millar, who, not unlike radio's Howard Stern, often relies on shock tactics to bring in fans. He's already outed Spidey to the whole world - what's next? Breaking up the marriage of Susan and Reed Richards? Bringing back Thor? There's obviously a ton more surprises in store for readers, but I have to question the sincerity of them; how many are going to be important plot points and how many are simply blatant attempts to shock readers?

This is funny....

In the new wizard, they talk about new x men, and how rev. stryker is evil but truly believes god wants him to wipe out the mutants. But then about dust, says how her muslim faith is 'beautiful and helps give her strength'.

so it cant with christians? they all have to be foaming at the mouth no good evil doers?

Did they forget a certain religion causing riots over drawings and a large amount of extremists blowing themselves up in other countries?

Im sorry, I have no problem with portraying dust's faith as powerful, but if you can ignore that religion's rioting and suicide bombing, whats so bad about christians they always have to be portrayed as evil bad guys, when the worst they have done in recent years is set up parent tv watch dog groups?

Its hypocritical. treat all religions the same, or dont bother.

Yeah, the new Supreme Power features an adulterous wife-beating priest. Christianity is just not smiled upon in comic books, evidently.

Horrorfan said:
This is funny....

In the new wizard, they talk about new x men, and how rev. stryker is evil but truly believes god wants him to wipe out the mutants. But then about dust, says how her muslim faith is 'beautiful and helps give her strength'.

so it cant with christians? they all have to be foaming at the mouth no good evil doers?

Did they forget a certain religion causing riots over drawings and a large amount of extremists blowing themselves up in other countries?

Im sorry, I have no problem with portraying dust's faith as powerful, but if you can ignore that religion's rioting and suicide bombing, whats so bad about christians they always have to be portrayed as evil bad guys, when the worst they have done in recent years is set up parent tv watch dog groups?

Its hypocritical. treat all religions the same, or dont bother.

You missed the point. It's not about religion, it's about faith. Comics HAVE treated people of other races/beliefs/nationalities badly before, especially when it's some country the US is having conflict with. Nightcrawler and Wolfsbane are both devout catholics and have been consitently good. Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde is Jewish and the same can be said of her. I remember an especially good New Mutants issue where Magma and Empath had some conflict regarding their faiths (Magma believes in the Roman Gods, Empath is Christian). The issue ended with Empath questioning Magma if her faith was stronger because she had (in that issue) met Hercules or his, who has seen no tangible evidence of his God.

Why get worked up about Stryker when it's an old character that's always been like that?:confused:

Ultimate Nightcrawler has been acting like an ass lately and it's due to his "faith". I think that definately puts us Christians in a bad light.

Not to turn things political, but Christianity is most frequently connected to Conservatism, and usually not in a positive manner. Its also more "politically correct" to defame them than it does to speak ill of other religions, because in America they are the "majority". Much as if you speak ill of white people, like many extreme black activists do, you tend to not get as much hardship as if you spoke ill of, well, any minority in a public arena. I'm not condoning it either way; hate is hate. But I'm not blind to some hypocrisy.

As for "polarizing fans", I agree that Marvel seems more willing to do that than DC, but I am sure there are some hardcore fans who may not have been happy about everything IC did in other forums, we just don't hear from them as much unless you visit some DC forums. I've heard some people be "disappointed" at the state of Nightwing, for one example. Just a few years ago he was one of DC's hottest heroes. And Dan DiDio is making a big deal out of the fact that the "new old Batwoman" is "gasp, a lesbian", which really isn't as exciting as it was before gays "came out".

But, in Marvel's eyes, the more attention or controversy a book gets, the more it sells. The angrier the fans are online, the more they buy. Of course, May's sales charts are in, and while CIVIL WAR #1 was the #1 book of May, DC dominated 7 slots of the Top 10 and outsold Marvel in both dollar and unit share; a rarity and something that may bare watching if it continues in Marvel-land.

Tropico said:
You missed the point. It's not about religion, it's about faith. Comics HAVE treated people of other races/beliefs/nationalities badly before, especially when it's some country the US is having conflict with. Nightcrawler and Wolfsbane are both devout catholics and have been consitently good. Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde is Jewish and the same can be said of her. I remember an especially good New Mutants issue where Magma and Empath had some conflict regarding their faiths (Magma believes in the Roman Gods, Empath is Christian). The issue ended with Empath questioning Magma if her faith was stronger because she had (in that issue) met Hercules or his, who has seen no tangible evidence of his God.

Why get worked up about Stryker when it's an old character that's always been like that?:confused:

from what I remember , he died, so why bring him back?

No christian is really well portrayed any more....capt. america in ultimates but some people see him as an old fashioned jerk, and nightcrawler isnt a priest any more is he? I know he had that time when he was mad about it.

put it this way: how many evil jewish buisness operaters are in the comics? or how many muslims are evil and causing jihad on the world in comics? None, from what I know of....because it's not p.c to offend those religions. But christians? who cares right?

Im not even christian, I just think if your gonna treat religion bad, do it to everyone. but more than that, my problem was the way the article was worded......it was so patronising. Its not my problem with the character or faith but the article itself (and to be honest, from what ive read of x men, dust is barely a blip, so hes talking up strength that isnt there so far...)

Horrorfan said:

I don't know. To make it an enemy you didn't expect at first?

Horrorfan said:
No christian is really well portrayed any more....capt. america in ultimates but some people see him as an old fashioned jerk, and nightcrawler isnt a priest any more is he? I know he had that time when he was mad about it.

Now I don't get what you mean by "well portrayed". Kurt's had shows of faith waaaaaay before being ordained. He's had crisis of faith on ocassion but has also been shown that it gives him strength in moments of hardship.

Horrorfan said:
put it this way: how many evil jewish buisness operaters are in the comics? or how many muslims are evil and causing jihad on the world in comics? None, from what I know of....because it's not p.c to offend those religions. But christians? who cares right?

Funny, there was actually an evil organization calle the Jihad in DC comics. It was a decade or more ago but it had people from different middle eastern countries. It even had a Thugee (a follower of Kali). I don't know how long you've been reading comics (I really don't know, it's not meant as a slight) but I know that when we were in the Cold War comics treated Russians like crap. The same goes for Koreans even after Viet-Nam. If the story was in South America it almost always had to have some Guerilla fighters. And I know that years ago heroes were fighting terrorists and suicide bombers. Has it happened lately? I think Ult. Cap was up against some terrorists in Ultimates 2.

Horrorfan said:
Im not even christian, I just think if your gonna treat religion bad, do it to everyone. but more than that, my problem was the way the article was worded......it was so patronising. Its not my problem with the character or faith but the article itself (and to be honest, from what ive read of x men, dust is barely a blip, so hes talking up strength that isnt there so far...)

So it's the article in Wizard that got you upset? Isn't that a person's opinion and not the comic itself? That might be the problem right there, especially Wizard.

Horrorfan said:

Surely christians can just turn the other cheek??

(runs and hides)

No, we just beat our wives and kill her when she finds out we're cheating on her :o

Islam is generally depicted so horribly in mass media and popular culture, I think we can cut the guys a little slack if, for once, a decent portrayal of a Muslim character and his/her faith is shown in a few books. I mean come on, the character of Dust was pretty much introduced for that sole purpose; other than her, how many characters can we name that are relatable, sympathetic Muslims?

deathshead2 said:

Well thats the same thing for Spidey being unmasked too. You can tell unlimited amouts of stories as long as the writer, writes a good story.

BrianWilly said:
Islam is generally depicted so horribly in mass media and popular culture, I think we can cut the guys a little slack if, for once, a decent portrayal of a Muslim character and his/her faith is shown in a few books. I mean come on, the character of Dust was pretty much introduced for that sole purpose; other than her, how many characters can we name that are relatable, sympathetic Muslims?

No one made them riot over drawings or blow each other up because of subtle differences in beliefs....thats not the media manipulating or depicting them horribly, that's what theyt chose to do. Can you imagine christians rioting everytime jesus was shown in south park or family guy or whatever? The left would be calling for christians to be abolished forever!
Im not saying thats what the whole religion is like, but you cant blame the media for reporting the news, and stuff that people actually do.

I dont mind dust being portrayed as relatable, but my point is that christians have done far less than islam in recent years if you HAVE to villify a religion. I have a problem with christians being portrayed as the bad guys SIMPLY because its un-pc to portray any other religion as such, which is all i believe it is.

Every religion has bad screwed up members who take it too far and cause problems. Blame them fer makin' religions and religious people look like serious *******s.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Like that's never really happened.

The majority of us don't though. I guess since it's a comic and in the comic world, EVERYTHING is exxagerated: biceps, calf muscles, breasts, biggots, and even religious nutjobs.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Every religion has bad screwed up members who take it too far and cause problems. Blame them fer makin' religions and religious people look like serious *******s.

I agree completely. But my point is the only reason I feel that the bad guy is a christian is to pander to the left, pc crowd. Thats my biggest problem.
They went through the trouble of somehow resurrecting a dead character to portray christians as nutjobs.

at least use a new nutjob character :D

No one made the Vatican obsessively condemn homosexuality and evolution in schools and Harry Potter and the Da Vinci Code either...that's not the media manipulating or depicting them horribly, that's what they choose to do. I'm not saying thats what the whole religion is like, but you can't blame the media for reporting the news, and stuff that people actually do.

See? If you want to play the "which religion is worse" game, no one wins.

You said it yourself: Christianity, for the most part, leans to the right. The X-books, at their most basic, leans to the left. For the X-Men to be going against hyperconservative religious figureheads is certainly nothing new, they've done it on and off for the better part of the last twenty years. Why? Because it's significant, and it's obvious why it is significant, and even more obvious given the recent media events surrounding Christianity and acceptance.

And contrary to semipopular belief, Christianity is depicted as positive and beneficial in comics all the time. Characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil and Siryn and Wolfsbane and Cloak and Dagger are often depicted as devout Catholics who stand by their faith through the good times and the bad and are better people for it. Reverend Stryker stands out because he's a villain, but there are just as many Christian heroes in comic books as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"