• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Comics Boycotting Spider-Man

Good example:
How does you wife squeeze her tube of toothpaste? Does she squeeze it from the end, or the middle? This was the cause of a small war at my home when my wife and I first got married. Little things make the difference. Then again, when you get up on Christmas morning to see a bunch of DVDs underneath the Christmas tree because your wife got up in the middle os the night to suprise you...there's something else.

Shin, I'm glad that you and others have fullfilling marriages (and I eagerly await one of the products of it......coming soon to a theater near you at the end of May), but if I have to read stories like that, please kill me now.

I'm in a relationship that is what I would call a MINO. And I love all the "adventures" that we share together. All the little things. And the fights. And the eye-rollings (she thinks our dog is magical.... Seriously.) The various relationships she's formed with my family. The traditions we've formed. And I won't even get into the Adventures of The Teenager. That alone could fill a forum.

It is, by far, the most fulfilling thing that has ever happened in my life. And I only see it getting better, and better. And more interesting.

But I am under no illusion that it makes for good fiction. Or at least fiction that I want to read. Just as I am under no illusion that no-one really wants to see my vacation pictures (I mean, they will. But I understand what I'm doing to them.)

but some of you are making it seem like Spider-Man HAS to be married in order to be a good character....when in fact MJ wasn't even a big part of peters' life until the comic has been running for 4 or 5 years....they weren't even married until the 80's....there are plenty of superheroes who are not married and manage just fine....you all would probably pitch a hissy fit if someone decided to have Batman or Iron Man get married....

Nobody is saying that Peter HAS to be married to be a good character.

But Joe Q has said that he needs to be single to be a good character :huh:

Many of us feel that this is false, and that the marriage has added more to the comic than it has taken away, and that getting rid of the marriage (especially in the manner it was done) was a bad move.

In fact these continuity changes and memory washes are all having a detrimental effect on the character, I believe.

Shin, I'm glad that you and others have fullfilling marriages (and I eagerly await one of the products of it......coming soon to a theater near you at the end of May), but if I have to read stories like that, please kill me now.

I'm in a relationship that is what I would call a MINO. And I love all the "adventures" that we share together. All the little things. And the fights. And the eye-rollings (she thinks our dog is magical.... Seriously.) The various relationships she's formed with my family. The traditions we've formed. And I won't even get into the Adventures of The Teenager. That alone could fill a forum.

It is, by far, the most fulfilling thing that has ever happened in my life. And I only see it getting better, and better. And more interesting.

But I am under no illusion that it makes for good fiction. Or at least fiction that I want to read. Just as I am under no illusion that no-one really wants to see my vacation pictures (I mean, they will. But I understand what I'm doing to them.)

Your wife really thinks your dog is magical? I'd read that.

I don't know I go to some of my favorite stories thoughout fiction and marriage and all the baggage and such generally leads to better fiction. In films I'll go right to the top with the godfather parts 1, 2 (three does not count), did the marriage add an element and improve the story? Yep.

Now to classics, let's see with shakespeare you have Hamlet and Macbeth both of which were made far more compelling with an aspect of marriage and betrayal (Hamlet's mother and Lady Macbeth), going farther back we would have some ancient myths. The Once and Future King had some marital elements I believe as well (scarcasm). Starting with Homer the Illiad is made compelling and only possible due to helen and Hectors opposing dynamic with Achilles is only hightened by him being a devout family man. The Odyssey is about a guy getting back home to his wife and family as the driving force.

Most all the myths I've ever read start with the god's pairing up and having kids and the ramifications therein, and almost all modern literature is based upon concepts retold from these.

Now in modern mediums you have a lot more single stories and a single way of life is more acceptable now then ever in the past but if you look at some of the better shows out there (sopranos, the shield, etc.) involve the family dynamic in a major way. Others don't, but I just don't see a marriage being a drawback. Sure pete wouldn't be out at the clubs but pete's never really been about that and seeing him trolling for women would be a letdown. What the marriage did was bring a greater sense of responsibility to a character based on responsibility and I just don't see that as a bad thing.

Well...i think the point is that there are tons of things to do and write about with a marriage. Especially more so when one happens to be a superhero.

The notion that "Single" stories are somehow eaiser to write than "married" stories is simply untrue.

Marriage is adding an additional supporting cast just as anyone else is.

The thing is, Pete IS married. So throwing your hands up in the air, and coming up with a LAME (unrelateable) way to undo it (for a character who is typcailly VERY relatable), instead of hiring writers who'd love to do it without erasing and altering continuity....is just not cool in my book.

you know there was a 7 year study done in the UK that says being married can affect your higher brain functions.....stress and all that....

1) Some things, like MJ's return, were already in the works. So you can't do anything about that.

2) Unmasking Spidey was a PR move to capitalize on Civil War.

3) Back in Black was another PR stunt to capitalize on Spider-Man 3.

1:peter/MJ reunion (2003)
2: Civil War (2006-2007)
3:Back in Black (2007)
He could've defended the point of keeping them separated, like he's doing now... Cause if having Peter and MJ together is bad for Spider-man comics, he should've defended the separation he loves so much...
He had around 3 years after the Reunion to fix Spidey, but he did nothing to fix him. Well, he allowed Sins Past and The Other, which contributed nothing in the Fixing up what was wrong with Spidey, they (mostly The Other) only made things worse...

for all the philsophical mumbo jumbo of The Other....ever since I was a little kid I always wondered why a spider could produce its own web, by Spider-Man couldn't.....and don't gimme that whole "Pete's genius in creating the web fluid contributes to the character" crap

but some of you are making it seem like Spider-Man HAS to be married in order to be a good character....when in fact MJ wasn't even a big part of peters' life until the comic has been running for 4 or 5 years....they weren't even married until the 80's....there are plenty of superheroes who are not married and manage just fine....you all would probably pitch a hissy fit if someone decided to have Batman or Iron Man get married....

I'm not saying he HAS to be married, but he was married. They married him in the 80's. If they wanted him to be unmarried, then they should have let them get a divorce, have MJ be a skrull, Kill off MJ, have the justice of the peace that married them be revealed to be a skrull (and thus technically negate the marriage), something. A deal with the devil just reeks. I can't believe that as the BEST thing they could come up with!!!

Of course, I will sat that, had this been 1988, and I was reading the wedding issue, might be angry that we were losing all of that single drama....and the same people taughting that we're afraid of change for not wanting him sinlge anymore would then be supporting the decision for im to get married...all under banner of "good storytelling".

Alot of people really have good reasons for supporting BND...but I think some people truly read Spider-Man and throw their money to Marvel no matter what is happening.

Hey nothing wrong with supporting BND, IF it is good writing.

I just would have preferred good writing PERIOD. There wasn't any, so I bailed. And now the character isn't the same character I remember growth-wise, so no need for me to come back.

Your wife really thinks your dog is magical? I'd read that.

I don't know I go to some of my favorite stories thoughout fiction and marriage and all the baggage and such generally leads to better fiction. In films I'll go right to the top with the godfather parts 1, 2 (three does not count), did the marriage add an element and improve the story? Yep.

Now to classics, let's see with shakespeare you have Hamlet and Macbeth both of which were made far more compelling with an aspect of marriage and betrayal (Hamlet's mother and Lady Macbeth), going farther back we would have some ancient myths. The Once and Future King had some marital elements I believe as well (scarcasm). Starting with Homer the Illiad is made compelling and only possible due to helen and Hectors opposing dynamic with Achilles is only hightened by him being a devout family man. The Odyssey is about a guy getting back home to his wife and family as the driving force.

Most all the myths I've ever read start with the god's pairing up and having kids and the ramifications therein, and almost all modern literature is based upon concepts retold from these.

Now in modern mediums you have a lot more single stories and a single way of life is more acceptable now then ever in the past but if you look at some of the better shows out there (sopranos, the shield, etc.) involve the family dynamic in a major way. Others don't, but I just don't see a marriage being a drawback. Sure pete wouldn't be out at the clubs but pete's never really been about that and seeing him trolling for women would be a letdown. What the marriage did was bring a greater sense of responsibility to a character based on responsibility and I just don't see that as a bad thing.

Technically girlfriend. I was confusing, trying to be clever. What I should have said was GFINO.

Yeah, at first it was just getting yelled at for calling him a "dog." But she's taken it to a whole new level.

Some of the more classic examples you used, you're absolutely correct that they contained/dealt with or the plot revolved around a marriage. You would also agree that those marriages are ones that most of us wouldn't want to have. Because fiction is all about conflict, and if marriage is to be a big part of the story (like a lot around here yearn for), than it should have a big, heaping helping of conflict, also. But that's never what I hear here. What I hear is this uber-romantic version: Pete needs someone to share his life with, Pete needs someone who will support him, Pete needs his soul-mate. That's the kind of thing I want in real life. I don't want that in fiction. I want conflict.

I would point out that once Odysseus gets home, the story is over. No one is really interested in seeing him kiss his wife on the cheek and take out the trash every night. They just want to see him get there. Just like Jack dying at the end of Titanic drives the drama home (and making it one of the top movies, box-office wise, of all time). But would anybody really be all that interested in the movie if he survived, and they planned to make a bunch of sequels under the Adventures of Jack and Rose banner. It would have been the biggest flop of all time.

Look, I see sexual tension (because that's really what were talking about here) as one of the tools in the writer's toolbox, just like sub-plots, foreshadowing, humor, etc, etc. Is it the only tool, or the most important tool, or a necessary tool? By no means. (If it is, Dr. Seuss starts taking on a whole new meaning.) But it is A tool, and an important one. The King Arthur example you gave is overflowing with it. I've never watched The Sopranos or The Shield. I'd imagine most of the Soprano's marriage conflict ,if there were any, came for his occupation, but did Tony's eye's never stray? Was there never any "other woman" conflict? (I honestly don't know. I'm really asking)

So, how does that relate to our wall-crawler? Very simply, I like when writers have that tool in their tool-box. It adds a texture and underlying emotion to stories that you can't get otherwise. And it works on a subconcious level, which is why all this discussion of "well, they could have told these stories as a married couple" rings completely hollow.

I guess you could make the argument that the marriage dynamic is just as valid a "tool." But they had 20 years to write interesting marriage stories, and they didn't (for the most part). They weren't all lazy. I think they all ran into the same problem: No-one likes to see a married couple fight. It's uncomfortable. Certainly, no-one likes to see sexual tension in a marriage, because for the most part, that implies another man, or another woman. And that's icky. So what conflict can you create between them. Well, you're limited to the small things that Shin stated above. And while those things can be cute, is there really a payoff for them? To me, no.

Rambling over.

If Peter were still acting like he had some growth, I'd enjoy BND. Well to be fair, I enjoyed Wells arc but didn't really like the rest of BND.

That being said, it seems Marvel wants to make Spidey like Peanuts or Archie, meaning frozen in time forever. I can understand keeping the character young, but it seems to me that Marvel associates young and growth as one in the same. Even in the older comics Peter was a mature, responsible guy and I enjoyed watching him grow emotionally. In BND it seems like all his maturity was thrown out the window in order to make him seem young. In BND, to me Peter comes across as a stranger and an idiot.

The only thing being married limited Peter to was from having relationships with other women. Your married life does not end your social life and if it does, then my condoles es if you are not allowed to have any friends. And why the heck would I want to read about Peter's future love interests when every single one of them will turn out the same? All of them will fail in some way so why should I care? Peter missing a date because he has to be Spidey, or some girl hating Spidey is an overused plot devise that needs to stay dead in the pages of ASM as far as I'm concerned.

reggiewhitejr: The only thing being married limited Peter to was from having relationships with other women. Your married life does not end your social life and if it does, then my condoles es if you are not allowed to have any friends. And why the heck would I want to read about Peter's future love interests when every single one of them will turn out the same? All of them will fail in some way so why should I care? Peter missing a date because he has to be Spidey, or some girl hating Spidey is an overused plot devise that needs to stay dead in the pages of ASM as far as I'm concerned.

Yeh, who does cares if mindwiped Peter, (who is the only one on the planet who doesn't know he unmasked) is late for a date???

Because the end result of the equation is that even if he made it to his date, it doesn't matter. It won't go anywhere anyway. So, maybe he'll get a few kisses in, and a part of his soul will remember that he is married but the devil takes away marriages in exchange for giving elerly ladies longer life.

And yes, Joe hismelf made the analogy before OMD that he'd like Spider-man to be more "timeless like Charlie Brown". So, now he is a timeless icon, with no progression, and continuity being whatever they want to make it to be that week or "arc". It feels like Groundhogs Day to me. Pete stuck in some weird loop or alternate OMD/BND earth.

The only way BND would be awesome at this point is if Aunt May dies anyway.

Honestly, OMD made me HATE the woman. Bet Joe Q didn't see THAT coming.

But I don't think they even came up with OMD until around 2006. It wasn't conceived until then.

but here's the thing... If Spidey was as broken as Joe claimed he was, why wait three years after the Return of MJ...

Picture this, You have a car and the brake lines have a leak. Would you fix the car ASAP or wait 3 years until you can figure out a way to fix it?

but here's the thing... If Spidey was as broken as Joe claimed he was, why wait three years after the Return of MJ...

Picture this, You have a car and the brake lines have a leak. Would you fix the car ASAP or wait 3 years until you can figure out a way to fix it?

Again: they didn't come up with the idea until 2006. I don't think it was a case where they just sat on the asses for three years and went, "Oh hey, what about making Pete single again?"

Well, joe has stated that he knew he'd be doingthis reboot 2+ years ahead of time.

He didn't fix it right away because he wanted to sneak in stories he could do and then undo since he knew that he'd be reformatting the title...such as the unmasking.

I still wish alot more had been done with the relationship between Tony Stark and Peter....at least we'll get to see the iron spider armor again...but not on Peter

Technically girlfriend. I was confusing, trying to be clever. What I should have said was GFINO.

Yeah, at first it was just getting yelled at for calling him a "dog." But she's taken it to a whole new level.

What are you supposed to call the dog? You should start calling him/her jesus or buddha or oh great one, just to see her reaction.

Some of the more classic examples you used, you're absolutely correct that they contained/dealt with or the plot revolved around a marriage. You would also agree that those marriages are ones that most of us wouldn't want to have. Because fiction is all about conflict, and if marriage is to be a big part of the story (like a lot around here yearn for), than it should have a big, heaping helping of conflict, also. But that's never what I hear here. What I hear is this uber-romantic version: Pete needs someone to share his life with, Pete needs someone who will support him, Pete needs his soul-mate. That's the kind of thing I want in real life. I don't want that in fiction. I want conflict.

I agree, I also like conflict. And you're absolutely correct with those examples being about pretty flawed marriages. I guess in that way the marriage did reduce conflicts but I guess the way I figure that since Pete's life is generally being put through the ringer in a way only probably daredevil could really understand he deserved some light at the end of the tunnel so he wasn't completely depressing. Something to show a reward of some time for his sacrifice.

Though I do think even in an "ideal" marriage is full of conflicts and problems doubly when one spouse is Spider-Man on the side.

I would point out that once Odysseus gets home, the story is over. No one is really interested in seeing him kiss his wife on the cheek and take out the trash every night. They just want to see him get there. Just like Jack dying at the end of Titanic drives the drama home (and making it one of the top movies, box-office wise, of all time). But would anybody really be all that interested in the movie if he survived, and they planned to make a bunch of sequels under the Adventures of Jack and Rose banner. It would have been the biggest flop of all time.

I doubt anything Odysseus ever did was really boring as clever and ruthless as he is. I'm sure if you followed him around being a king and all with a family he had to get back to know, people that have changed and the spoils of war plus his "coming back from the dead" thing there would be plenty of interesting tales to tell if Homer wanted too.

I actually walked out of Titanic, but I know leonardo dies at the end so that sounds like a much more happy and wholesome ending then him living.

Look, I see sexual tension (because that's really what were talking about here) as one of the tools in the writer's toolbox, just like sub-plots, foreshadowing, humor, etc, etc. Is it the only tool, or the most important tool, or a necessary tool? By no means. (If it is, Dr. Seuss starts taking on a whole new meaning.) But it is A tool, and an important one. The King Arthur example you gave is overflowing with it. I've never watched The Sopranos or The Shield. I'd imagine most of the Soprano's marriage conflict ,if there were any, came for his occupation, but did Tony's eye's never stray? Was there never any "other woman" conflict? (I honestly don't know. I'm really asking)

You imagine right about the sopranos, in the shield vic's family is his real redeaming quality. His children, except for one, are ******ed so you can imagine the juxtaposition that creates caring for them contrasted with being a ruthless and dirty cop.

While I don't want Amazing to resemble a soap opera there was always some underlying tension. Pete with Felicia and MJ's had many people, some sane some psychotic, interested in her over the years.

So, how does that relate to our wall-crawler? Very simply, I like when writers have that tool in their tool-box. It adds a texture and underlying emotion to stories that you can't get otherwise. And it works on a subconcious level, which is why all this discussion of "well, they could have told these stories as a married couple" rings completely hollow.

There is that but you forget that there are elements only allowed in marriage. There are stories only hightened by having a wife. Conflict is enchanced by having a Peter Parker not only concerned about his own life but also fighting just to come home to the woman he loves. I go back to westerns (my all time favorite movie genre) and most of them are cheap without that aspect of fighting for something more than yourself. Not that pete fights only for himself but with MJ he had greater responsibility that he chose and it added a level to the character I now feel is missing.

I guess you could make the argument that the marriage dynamic is just as valid a "tool." But they had 20 years to write interesting marriage stories, and they didn't (for the most part). They weren't all lazy. I think they all ran into the same problem: No-one likes to see a married couple fight. It's uncomfortable. Certainly, no-one likes to see sexual tension in a marriage, because for the most part, that implies another man, or another woman. And that's icky. So what conflict can you create between them. Well, you're limited to the small things that Shin stated above. And while those things can be cute, is there really a payoff for them? To me, no.

Rambling over.

There were good marriage stories over the years and bad ones too, but that's just true about all comics thoughout time. I look at a recent story like the Sensational Annual where the marriage was highlighted and I can't ever see a future story like that having the emotional impact and that's a shame. Some people can write a married couple and some can't, writers are different but I don't think putting some extra challenges in a character limits the writer, just makes him/her give some more effort and creativity.

But then I have vastly different tastes from most. For example I loved reign because it was all about the marriage and the outcome of it. I also loved requiem #2 for the same reason, MJ is the counter point to pete without being an opposing view and that in my mind only adds another dimension of commentary and depth to the issues in each comic.

What are you supposed to call the dog? You should start calling him/her jesus or buddha or oh great one, just to see her reaction.

She's Russian. If you ever read what those people did (their women included) during WWII, you'd immediately understand why that would be a very. bad. idea.

I actually walked out of Titanic, but I know leonardo dies at the end so that sounds like a much more happy and wholesome ending then him living.

You know what I remember most from that movie: When old Rose throws the $10 Gazillion dollar necklace overboard. I was thinking that her kids and grandkids must be thrilled that she sacrificed all their futures for the memory of some dirtbag that she knew for, like 15 minutes, 80 years ago. Nice. I was hoping she would jump too.

There is that but you forget that there are elements only allowed in marriage. There are stories only hightened by having a wife. Conflict is enchanced by having a Peter Parker not only concerned about his own life but also fighting just to come home to the woman he loves. I go back to westerns (my all time favorite movie genre) and most of them are cheap without that aspect of fighting for something more than yourself. Not that pete fights only for himself but with MJ he had greater responsibility that he chose and it added a level to the character I now feel is missing.

I didn't forget it, in fact I mention it in my next paragraph. And if I had to pick some marriage-specific stories, that Annual would be at the top of the list. But in the end, it's a very short list. Ironically, as much as people hated it, I think MJ, became loads more interesting when they moved into Avengers Tower. I liked seeing her interact with the team. There was an issue of theat Marvel Romance gimmick that I thought was very good. Same to an extent with Aunt May and Steve Rogers. I thought there was a lot there to play off of, and it is one of the things that I will sincerely miss with BND.

so why is Spider-Mans' marriage so ****ing important to people while 98 percent of superheroes are single and no one seems to have an issue with it. I bet if Wolverine got married, you all would storm the Marvel offices in fanboy rage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"