Comics Boycotting Spider-Man

LOL, I was going to say we needed your opinion on this, SpideyNOrbs, until I realized you posted this in the first place!

But really, OMD has become the train wreck no one can turn away from...I personally have no real problem with it so far. However, there are some things I'm definitely up to 'here' with...

The tiresome, whiny Peter who is guilty about every stupid thing, including sunrises. Is he really that guilty, or is it a cover for something else? It's bordering on psychopathic.

The power and responsibility line. I swear, ENOUGH. WE GET IT!

Not to mention Joey Q's ugly art. If I want Bizarro, I'll read Bizarro. For Cripes sake, someone call Garney back!
petes always overcompesating his intent to redeem himself for what he sees as causing uncle bens death
pete trust me you've redeemed yourself many times over the years

I didn't mean you specifically, hence why I said SOME not ALL. Sorry, I should have made that a bit clearer.

Nevertheless, I have read arguments made by some who felt that the marriage was a mistake that tried to assert that Spider-Man being married--as opposed to constantly having him pair up with the Avengers or writing out or outright killing off members of his supporting cast--is what distances him from his traditional supporting cast like Jonah, Betty, Robbie, Flash, etc. because he spends too much time with Mary Jane, that being married to her and interacting with his supporting cast doesn't mix, and that one of the reasons for getting rid of the marriage was so he can interact with that supporting cast once again. To me, as I stated, it's a ridiculous assertion to make.

Well, I agree that being married would reduce the importance of the original supporting cast, but I don't think it's a one-or-the-other situation.

In any case, it's not like there hasn't been a supporting cast at all. FNSM and Sensational used the traditional supporting cast, and ASM dealt with a brand new one (in addition to an Aunt May who was actually treated as a real character).

petes always overcompesating his intent to redeem himself for what he sees as causing uncle bens death
pete trust me you've redeemed yourself many times over the years

He has a messiah complex, which was really well illustrated in Webspinners #12.

I agree with TMOB on that there should be a fourth option. No, I don't like the current One More Day storyline. I'm extremely disappointed in the fact that the story is being handled very riduclously. I know the fourth part isn't out yet but I really don't see where Mephisto fits into ANY of this. AT ALL! Unless next issue gives a solid explanation of why Mephisto cares that much about Spider-Man and his predicament or there's a bigger storyline at play where Mephisto is tempting ALL THE HEROES...maybe it would make more sense...but as of right now I'm highly disappointed with One More Day.

I want to see the marriage end but it could be done much better than this. And for what this was advertised as and built up as...it's not even CLOSE to living up to the expectations.

However, boycotting is just such a dastardly thing to do to a comic book that you really enjoy. Despite the disappointing One More Day I haven't really had much problems with Spider-Man comics other than Sins Past continuity debacle and The Other's raping of the, already fine Totem storyline. Other than that...everything is cool.

I think it would be a very wrong thing for many fans to boycott the Spider-Man books right now. I mean...who are you angry with here? Joe Quesada, right? JMS maybe, right? Well, what do they have to do with the book once One More Day is over? Well, Quesada is still editor in chief, but he's not going to continue doing pencils on the book or anything.

Unfortunately a boycott would only be damaging to the excellent creative team of Dan Slott and Steve McNiven. Two very highly talented and hot creators. If you boycott the book and cause low sales for Slott and McNiven...what's that going to do to them? :huh: They have to pay for the sins of JMS and Joe Quesada? I think that's a rather distasteful and asinine thing to do.

You want to hurt Quesada and JMS and the people at Marvel? You buy the hell out of Brand New Day and show them who you REALLY want writing the books. Imagine if Slott out sold JMS and One More Day? It would be the ultimate F U.

I'll continue buying because I believe in Dan Slott as a talented Spider-Man writer and, overall, comic book writer. And Steve McNiven is just a fantastic artist all around and can't wait to see how he and Slott interact. I wouldn't be much of a Spider-Man fan or a Dan Slott fan if I didn't buy this book. So, the Spidey comics continue for me. No boycotting here.

SIAT: I agree with TMOB on that there should be a fourth option. No, I don't like the current One More Day storyline. I'm extremely disappointed in the fact that the story is being handled very riduclously. I know the fourth part isn't out yet but I really don't see where Mephisto fits into ANY of this. AT ALL! Unless next issue gives a solid explanation of why Mephisto cares that much about Spider-Man and his predicament or there's a bigger storyline at play where Mephisto is tempting ALL THE HEROES...maybe it would make more sense...but as of right now I'm highly disappointed with One More Day.

I want to see the marriage end but it could be done much better than this. And for what this was advertised as and built up as...it's not even CLOSE to living up to the expectations.

However, boycotting is just such a dastardly thing to do to a comic book that you really enjoy. Despite the disappointing One More Day I haven't really had much problems with Spider-Man comics other than Sins Past continuity debacle and The Other's raping of the, already fine Totem storyline. Other than that...everything is cool.

I think it would be a very wrong thing for many fans to boycott the Spider-Man books right now. I mean...who are you angry with here? Joe Quesada, right? JMS maybe, right? Well, what do they have to do with the book once One More Day is over? Well, Quesada is still editor in chief, but he's not going to continue doing pencils on the book or anything.

Unfortunately a boycott would only be damaging to the excellent creative team of Dan Slott and Steve McNiven. Two very highly talented and hot creators. If you boycott the book and cause low sales for Slott and McNiven...what's that going to do to them? :huh: They have to pay for the sins of JMS and Joe Quesada? I think that's a rather distasteful and asinine thing to do.

You want to hurt Quesada and JMS and the people at Marvel? You buy the hell out of Brand New Day and show them who you REALLY want writing the books. Imagine if Slott out sold JMS and One More Day? It would be the ultimate F U.

I'll continue buying because I believe in Dan Slott as a talented Spider-Man writer and, overall, comic book writer. And Steve McNiven is just a fantastic artist all around and can't wait to see how he and Slott interact. I wouldn't be much of a Spider-Man fan or a Dan Slott fan if I didn't buy this book. So, the Spidey comics continue for me. No boycotting here.

Well, i agree with you to an extent there SIAT. I am personally not "boycotting" anything per say...although i won't buy the current "storylines", but that has nothing to do with the creative teams. I was excited about some of those teams. BUt my favorite artist or writer doing their personal concept of "poop" is still "poop".

I will continue to buy lots of spidey "stuff" tho, since he's my favorite. For sure!!

It is more about the direction and not the creative teams here anyway, imo.

If enough people don't care about the "storyline direction"...i'd hope Marvel would keep the nice creative teams, and just write something that was less insulting to the majority of fans.

"Buying the heck out of BND" shows support for JQ's direction, in many ways (d/t the change and foundation that is OMD,which leads directly into that direction) and isn't as much a statement about the actual various creative team arcs...??

And who cares if it is JQ, JMS (who is on record for not wanting his name attached to THIS...) or WHATEVER writer that came up with this LONG PLANNED OUT OMD lame-o premise. I don't personally have any hate for JQ..he's done good for somethings in the comic industry, as i've said many times. THAT SAID, OMD IS LAME REGARDLESS and FORCED....every character is so obviously being moved ahead as pawns, and not characters, to reach point B...regardless of who wrote it, that is obvious.

It'd be nice to unshackle those creative teams to write truly innovative stories instead of JQ's agenda of a single, young, hip spidey...as well as a single crimefighting MJ. (And please don't have any of these new teams have to EVER EVER mention OMD, and Mephisto's "dastardly" deal to trade marriage for elderly bullet wound victim survival......) :whatever:

Sadly, the foundation that continues on into BND is lame and pure cheese.

But again, still will buy Spidey stuff.

I hope for a quick retcon, ....but a retcon that in NO WAY mentions anything, ever, related to OMD, and the way they are CHOOSING to end the marriage.

I mean in the end...if BND fails...i am sure Marvel is smart enough and will realize that it was their abrupt CHANGE that hurt Spidey sales....and not say that people suddenly don't like Slott.

Imagine if Slott out sold JMS and One More Day? It would be the ultimate F U.

Not really. That's kind of the point of BND: to put Spidey back on top again. Quesada wants BND to sell well. Clearly, JMS didn't want to write OMD (and there's absolutely no way he ever planned on writing such a story) so it's not like he would care if BND outsold it either.

I don't think it's fair that IF numbers drop because of a boycott (due to OMD, Sins Past, the Other, the Unmasking, etc...) that a very talented writer like Dan Slott, who has more respect for Marvel continuity in his pinky finger than most of Marvel's hot-shot writers combined, will be one of the new guys that will take the brunt of the lower sales when in reality, it would be the result of those that came before him.

Sure, I agree that the foundation of BND may be built from soft cheese, but nonetheless, it'll be a fresh start and who knows what type of excitement will happen now that we, as fans, have the ONE GUY that we have been DEMANDING to write Spider-Man for YEARS since his Spdier-Man/Human Torch mini-series...

Dan Slott was obviously BORN & BRED to write Spider-Man comics, and while people may be pissed off with what's happening NOW... it's not fair to give the ONE guy that obviously cares about Spider-Man the brunt of a boycott.

If anything, to all the people that intend to boycott the book, you should have done it months, if not years ago, because most of the people saying that they will boycott the book have been the sme ones complaining about Spider-Man since Sins Past, which happened almost 3 years ago.

If you're still buying the book now, while you may not be pleased with the outcome, you should give Dan Slott a chance, because it's what we've been wanting now for a while, and if he's punished for something that wasn't his fault, then how long do you think it'll take Marvel for put some other talentless hack at the helm of the book who doesn't give two sh***ts about continuity.

I understand your anger, but it'll be vented in the wrong direction.

Just my two cents...

Mike

:csad:

Well....IF sales are low...maybe they'll let Slott write stories with progression and not the regression that OMD is gonna usher in.

Again, i don't think Marvel will blame Slott or the others...if things fail...they'll (hopefully) realize it was because they destroyed the marriage and will be because of how LAMELY they destroyed it. (not to mention MJ being single AND also suddenly a crimefighter!) Again, it'll be the sudden and UN-NEEDED drastic changes/agendas that will hurt the sales.

I mean, all the polls now, on any site....if anyone from Marvel reads even one....are against the marriage being FORCED apart...and HOW they're currently FORCING it apart.

There are NO polls saying boo-hoo about Slott...people are generally happy about that!...but some are merely dismayed at what he'll be handed off...a bad snap (being OMD).

I just hope BND isn't stretched out into eternity like the CLone Saga was after they decided Pete shouldn't be a fake afterall.

When they do fix BND, which they will..., and bring BACK MJ the WIFE (not the superhero)...they need to do it QUCIKLY and without revisting OMD's "story" and without another magical storyline (Loki the marriage restorer??) trumping Mephisto's marriage killing "villanry"...?!

Spider-Man is basically dead to me.

This decade destroyed the character beyond recognition. Whether its Tobey Maguire freezing in social fear when spoken to, mask on or off - Spider-Totems - A hipster younger Peter who's a web designer and says "um" a lot - A killer with stingers - A clone cacoon of dead skin or whatever (twice) who can speak to bugs and ditches his web shooters (and subsequently utility belt) - Iron Man's sidekick

Dead. Dead and buried, there's no way around it, the 2000's was the final straw for me and this character.

Does ANYone, I mean ANYone remember what it was like to pick that book up and watch him swing sky high with thought bubbles above his head? The witty, tough-lucked but not suicidally depressed Peter Parker?

This statement is true and makes me sad :csad:

Damn you, JMS & gang.

I don't think it's fair that IF numbers drop because of a boycott (due to OMD, Sins Past, the Other, the Unmasking, etc...) that a very talented writer like Dan Slott, who has more respect for Marvel continuity in his pinky finger than most of Marvel's hot-shot writers combined, will be one of the new guys that will take the brunt of the lower sales when in reality, it would be the result of those that came before him.

Sure, I agree that the foundation of BND may be built from soft cheese, but nonetheless, it'll be a fresh start and who knows what type of excitement will happen now that we, as fans, have the ONE GUY that we have been DEMANDING to write Spider-Man for YEARS since his Spdier-Man/Human Torch mini-series...

Dan Slott was obviously BORN & BRED to write Spider-Man comics, and while people may be pissed off with what's happening NOW... it's not fair to give the ONE guy that obviously cares about Spider-Man the brunt of a boycott.

If anything, to all the people that intend to boycott the book, you should have done it months, if not years ago, because most of the people saying that they will boycott the book have been the sme ones complaining about Spider-Man since Sins Past, which happened almost 3 years ago.

If you're still buying the book now, while you may not be pleased with the outcome, you should give Dan Slott a chance, because it's what we've been wanting now for a while, and if he's punished for something that wasn't his fault, then how long do you think it'll take Marvel for put some other talentless hack at the helm of the book who doesn't give two sh***ts about continuity.

I understand your anger, but it'll be vented in the wrong direction.

Just my two cents...

Mike

:csad:

I dont think sales will drop. I mean, they never DO, really. The only time that ever happened was when Peter was stupidly removed from the books completely....

If anything, i think sales will SPIKE when Brand New Day debuts, then eventually settle back down to normal levels (90,000-100,000k) when the novelty wears off.

Just MY two cents. :cwink:

Im boycotting Spidey because the comics are now starting to get annoying and the 3rd movie kind of put me off the character for a while. My interest for the character will always remain but i need a break for a bit,

For the people backing up the current direction S-M comics are going, just one question, where in the last 7 years has there been any shread of consistant proof that just because Peter becomes single again, that they will actual write fun, engaging stories that stay "true" to the main character and supporting characters?

I have never prayed, begged, pleaded for a particular direction in Spider-Man comics. I only wanted to be pleased with engaging stories that don't belittle my longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters.

I believe that many of the pissed off people are like me. We WANT to be surprised d a mn it! But we want to be engaged intelligently too.

These editors and writers have had NO shame for 7 years. What, NOW there gonna do you right all the way through, paaalllease? Wake up people, and not with you daily drugged "Cup O' Joe." :o

Peace out.

For the people backing up the current direction S-M comics are going, just one question, where in the last 7 years has there been any shread of consistant proof that just because Peter becomes single again, that they will actual write fun, engaging stories that stay "true" to the main character and supporting characters?

I have never prayed, begged, pleaded for a particular direction in Spider-Man comics. I only wanted to be pleased with engaging stories that don't belittle my longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters.

I believe that many of the pissed off people are like me. We WANT to be surprised d a mn it! But we want to be engaged intelligently too.

These editors and writers have had NO shame for 7 years. What, NOW there gonna do you right all the way through, paaalllease? Wake up people, and not with you daily drugged "Cup O' Joe." :o

Peace out.

This has been an ongoing phenom here on these boards for some time.

It started with Sins Past. Everyone said "Well, let's wait it out and see where this goes. I'm optimistic!" And it ended poorly.

Then we had the Hydra arc. The only good thing to happen to Spidey in a long time.

Then Sins remembered. Everyone said "Well, let's wait it out and see where this goes. I'm optimistic!" And it ended poorly.

Then Disassembled. Everyone said "Well, let's wait it out and see where this goes. I'm optimistic!" And it ended poorly.

Then The Other. Everyone said "Well, let's wait it out and see where this goes. I'm optimistic!" And it ended poorly.

Then. And then. And then. And then. I'm sorry, but I can only get kicked in the groin so many times before I say "STOP!"

Those of you hanging on and eating this crap up, you're REALLY into getting kicked in the groin, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

I remember those were like this: "I hate it! I hate it and I quit! JQ an idiot!" not like this: "Well, let's wait it out and see where this goes. I'm optimistic!" :)

Peace out.

Good to see your commentary my friend.

As always, you are 100% correct.

For the people backing up the current direction S-M comics are going.

Most of them are "friends" or "groupies" to Joey Q. They figure getting on his side, that Joey Q will share the spotlight with them or give them jobs as writers witch is their plan all along.

I've seen it and confirmed it at the Bars during conventions. Kiss A$$'s. When Joey's Q plans fail (which they have and will again) and fans get in a uproar, these "friends" and/or "groupies" back up slowly and completely deny any knowledge of being a "friend" to Joey Q.

I will only be reading spidey specials or one shots (ex SPidey/Red Sonja) or back issues and trades. So i will still support spidey, just not the current crap forced upon US and the CREATIVE TEAMS.

With OMD....where we've reached a NEW level of lame-o cheese...and which is the foundation that bridges us into BND....i can't stomach it.....especially to spend hard earned MONEY on it......it reads like an agenda...and like they didn't even TRY to come up with a story to get them to point B (no marriage).

It is an insult to my intelligence, and makes no sense to have Mephisto bopping around making elderly people live longer in exchange for marriages. I mean, is this storyline for real????

JMS shoulda stuck with his guns and kept his name FAR FAR away from this agenda they're "selling" as a return to good story telling.

And fans are saying...."Well, this IS cheese but i'll wait it out and see how BND is....and that I'll put up with this lameness if the result is good story-telling."

well...it says alot if you need a lot of LAME to = good.

and it is illogical. they can write good storys anytime they want, without having to write a bunch of bad to make some people fooled into thinking what follows is better.

I mean....sheesh....it is nice to be eternally optimistic....i mean, i LOVE this comic character.....but this isn't an ISOLATED arc....this story MAKES what BND is. It is ongoing from this. IT's not like BND will ignore it....(like issues AFTER Sins Past). These ramifications and how it goes down is ONGOING. THIS IS SPIDEY FROM HERE ON OUT.

Peace out.

So where were you when Roberto Sacasa was writing his ass off on Sensational Spider-Man all of last year, writing plenty of "engaging stories that don't belittle your longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters"??? Where were MANY of you, i might ask?

It's like if some of you people DON'T have anything to complain about, you
cant be bothered....:whatever:

Very few fans supported him, and now all the side books have been cancelled.

So where were you when Roberto Sacasa was writing his ass off on Sensational Spider-Man all of last year, writing plenty of "engaging stories that don't belittle your longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters"??? Where were MANY of you, i might ask?

It's like if some of you people DON'T have anything to complain about, you
cant be bothered....:whatever:

Very few fans supported him, and now all the side books have been cancelled.

Very good point... his Spider-Man was probably one of the BEST written Spider-Man stories (which included a married Mary Jane Watson-Parker :oldrazz: ) since Roger Stern... and considering that Stern was the third best Spidey writer ever (with Stan Lee & Marv Wolfman running at #1 & 2), that's a pretty good compliment.

And you're right... last year, even along side Peter David, who brought back MANY of the old cast, we were delighted with plenty of writing plenty of "engaging stories that didn't belittle our longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters".

:word:

Very good point... his Spider-Man was probably one of the BEST written Spider-Man stories (which included a married Mary Jane Watson-Parker :oldrazz: ) since Roger Stern... and considering that Stern was the third best Spidey writer ever (with Stan Lee & Marv Wolfman running at #1 & 2), that's a pretty good compliment.

And you're right... last year, even along side Peter David, who brought back MANY of the old cast, we were delighted with plenty of writing plenty of "engaging stories that didn't belittle our longstanding knowledge of the main character and supporting characters".

:word:

Yeah, but there was nothing (or very little) to complain about, so no one gave a ****. :whatever:

The only time i personally have ever stopped collecting (since the beginning) was during the clone saga, since it irritated me that the spider-man i grew up reading was (then) suddenly a clone and not "real"...which i found insulting to (us) the fans that grew up supporting this character, financially and otherwise.

I've collected again ever since, putting up with unmasking (forced event), The Other (magically delicious eye cereal), Sins Past (just wrong) and more.

I've even read OMD, although at the stand and not with my cash, since it is turning out even worse than i had dared imagine they'd go for.

It was hard to ignore all the quotes, ads, interviews, etc, ...all pointing towards the agenda to erase the marriage, yet i hoped, as some claimed, that it was all a two year joke (build up) to fool us into thinking that was where JQ was heading.

Again, i personally am not gonna say, extremely, that i am gonna "boycott" spidey per say...or comics or marvel or what-have-you.

I WILL still buy LOTS of spidey stuff, essentials, tpb's, special this and thats. But i won't be buying BND, which is saddening, because i WANT to buy spidey comics, as i WANTED to during clone saga times too...but it is just too maddening to read something so clearly an AGENDA and NOT SPIDEY-LIKE.

It insults me that JQ has said all the storys the past 2 years were orchestrated to get us to this "point". It insults me when JQ says he is doing this to give us "good storys" again. So, he planned all this lame stuff, and is writing this CHEESE now: crap that even JMS doesn't want to be tied to.....for the "purpose of giving us good stories"?? Oy.

Sensational and all was good, i enjoyed them, picked them up in tpb too, like i always do, because i like my issues and also find it nice to have them in "book form" tucked neatly on my bookshelves.

I thought it stunk they canceled them all (the titles) and are now calling all issues "Amazing". The reader has no choice now, and i am all for those choices. I used to enjoy Web, Spectacular, Marvel Tales, MArvel-Team-Up and all too. I get annoyed when they re-title everything for the sake of having a new number "1". And we all know this 3X frankly won't last forever and they'll be relaunching new titles again. And retconning BND, which is just an experiment basically. So, I'll buy "current" issues when this backwards progression mess is over, just like i did after clone saga. That way i won't be wasting tons of money on stuff that is kinda cheesy, and won't matter in a year either. When we get OMD fixed and the marriage fixed, after Loki takes the time out of HIS busy schedule to magically fix the marriages that ultra-baddie Mephisto magically ruined, I'll be back with my money in "full" force.

I loved sensational, web of, spectacular, and friendly neighborhood. I was sadden when they were canceled. Where was I? Why didn't I complain, truth is...I did, they just didn't want to listen. It isn't about the readers anymore and Joey Q has made that clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"