Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Vampire - Part 3

bad place no. Hated that episode with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. The very premise offends me. Never speak of it again. :cmad:

As I've gotten older, I've just found S6's handling of the metaphors far more clunky and heavy-handed than the other seasons. It feels like an imitation of what made Buffy work, imo. Kinda like Charmed. :oldrazz:

Well damn! LOL, Flick I don't wanna get banned, but I low key love that episode. It's such a fun mindscrew.

And yeah, I agree about S6. Heavy-handed is the right way to describe it, it had a few gems in there, but ultimately it wasn't one of the show's best years. That toxic ash Spuffy relationship is still cringe IMO.

Oh God the depressing season 6 and when Daphne replaces Buffy and has an affair with Spike.

dont think ive come across Daphne yet

but since i'm watching angel/buffy together, last night i watched the episode Birthday of Angel when Cordy is given a chance to see what her life would be like without the visions. i really liked that premise and wanted them to explore it more but we didn't even really get like half an episode of it. it was so rushed it felt like she immediately came back to real life.
i think it would've been interesting to start the episode from the "Cordy" opening and move from there. would be interesting to see how the episode would've played out if you found out what happened to her after you saw what her life could've been like.

dont think ive come across Daphne yet

but since i'm watching angel/buffy together, last night i watched the episode Birthday of Angel when Cordy is given a chance to see what her life would be like without the visions. i really liked that premise and wanted them to explore it more but we didn't even really get like half an episode of it. it was so rushed it felt like she immediately came back to real life.
i think it would've been interesting to start the episode from the "Cordy" opening and move from there. would be interesting to see how the episode would've played out if you found out what happened to her after you saw what her life could've been like.
SMG's hair changes as this was the same time as Scooby-Doo.

bad place no. Hated that episode with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. The very premise offends me. Never speak of it again. :cmad:

As I've gotten older, I've just found S6's handling of the metaphors far more clunky and heavy-handed than the other seasons. It feels like an imitation of what made Buffy work, imo. Kinda like Charmed. :oldrazz:
tumblr_mkuscmF8gj1rk8928o1_500.gif

Season 6 is a total slog. Has a few of my least favourite episodes and moments, and not many highlights. The premise of 'life is the big bad' was a faulty one in my opinion. It binned Buffy's metaphorical monsters and yet lacked a real commitment to realistic struggles. Making everyone miserable and/or selfish at once was contrived and exhausting after 22 episodes.

S6A i really like. S6b....up until those last 3 episodes...ive never been a big fan of.

Buffy officially loses her *spark* after OMWF. Whenever characters chop off their hair its like a personality change.

Unpopular opinion but I personally overall liked the Angel series more than Buffy season 4 till finish.

I prefer Angel overall I think. It starts and ends better. My only real complaint with that show is what happened to Cordelia. She has a solid exit but the 4th season was really rough.

I prefer Angel overall I think. It starts and ends better. My only real complaint with that show is what happened to Cordelia. She has a solid exit but the 4th season was really rough.
I hated what they did to her with both seasons 4 and 5, even though I found her exit decent too. However, the fourth season is probably my overall favourite of the show, despite that and the really weird and out of place last few episodes arc.

When you really sit and digest it, Angel Season 3 was way better than Buffy Season 6. It had more going on.

i am definitely enjoying S3 of Angel more than S6 of Buffy right now. but i did really enjoy Season 5 of Buffy. 3 and 5 are my favorite buffy seasons so far.

cordelia was one of my favorite characters of angel. now that i've finally seen the first few seasons of buffy and saw her growth, i like her character even more now. i am aware of what happens to her in angel because i did originally watch this show, but i never knew until i read on the hype, why her character got the shaft and what was going on. dang it Joss!

i am definitely enjoying S3 of Angel more than S6 of Buffy right now. but i did really enjoy Season 5 of Buffy. 3 and 5 are my favorite buffy seasons so far.

cordelia was one of my favorite characters of angel. now that i've finally seen the first few seasons of buffy and saw her growth, i like her character even more now. i am aware of what happens to her in angel because i did originally watch this show, but i never knew until i read on the hype, why her character got the shaft and what was going on. dang it Joss!

Same! Seasons 3 and 5 of Buffy were just so intensely good, you can see where it was hard for them to try to match that same intensity for season 6. It just wasn't the same.

Yeah Joss was a real SOB for his treatment of Charisma Carpenter and what went down with Cordy. But wait until you see the more twists that Angel S3 brings lol.

i feel like buffy season 6 could have been good, but it was kinda over the place. warren, andrew and johnathan kinda annoy me and they're fumbling is too much sometimes. i liked the premise of buffy trying to adjust to the real world while still having a foot in the supernatural world. more of her inner struggle with coming back from the dead, not being able to attend college with her friends, loss of Joyce, trying to connect with Dawn. i would've liked to see more of this, even if only little hints here and there more consistently and not just humor fodder.

I never connected to the Angel cast like i did with Buffy so i always prefer it. S2-5 of Buffy are peak enjoyment for me.

Cordelia only having 2.5 good seasons on Angel always makes me sad. S4 and getting rid of her always left a huge hole in the show that even though s5 is great, it was really missing her. Though Angel was allowed to be grown compared to BTVS where thr characters always have to deal with growing up.

i feel like buffy season 6 could have been good, but it was kinda over the place. warren, andrew and johnathan kinda annoy me and they're fumbling is too much sometimes. i liked the premise of buffy trying to adjust to the real world while still having a foot in the supernatural world. more of her inner struggle with coming back from the dead, not being able to attend college with her friends, loss of Joyce, trying to connect with Dawn. i would've liked to see more of this, even if only little hints here and there more consistently and not just humor fodder.

Hugely agree. I think Slayer Buffy in s7 would've been better suited for s6. I never liked it that the Scoobies bring Buffy back, she's broke, she needs to work at a Burger joint...Buffys dad being mia was common but come on....i dont believe he would've left his daughters out to dry or that Willow/Tara wouldn't contribute more to the bills.

I never connected to the Angel cast like i did with Buffy so i always prefer it. S2-5 of Buffy are peak enjoyment for me.

Cordelia only having 2.5 good seasons on Angel always makes me sad. S4 and getting rid of her always left a huge hole in the show that even though s5 is great, it was really missing her. Though Angel was allowed to be grown compared to BTVS where thr characters always have to deal with growing up.

Hugely agree. I think Slayer Buffy in s7 would've been better suited for s6. I never liked it that the Scoobies bring Buffy back, she's broke, she needs to work at a Burger joint...Buffys dad being mia was common but come on....i dont believe he would've left his daughters out to dry or that Willow/Tara wouldn't contribute more to the bills.
I assumed they were since they lived there and were raising Dawn.

neither had jobs though right? unless they "worked" at the magic shop but i dont think they did
Good point. Wait how did this work before Buffy was resurrected? Did Giles help out?

Good point. Wait how did this work before Buffy was resurrected? Did Giles help out?

probably.

but i think they mentioned joyce had life insurance and it was pretty much run out. i may be remembering it wrong but it feels like willow told buffy that not long after she was brought back

Yeah im pretty sure they lived off of Joyces life insurance which....ran out REAL FAST. Buffy was already broke by what? The 4th episode of s6 when the water broke and she tried to charge for saving the bank guys life?

Amazing how Buffy was limited on funds but still kept a trendy and fresh wardrobe lol.

I think, fundamentally, the problem with Buffy was that it was envisioned as a teen drama. . . and then kept getting renewed for enough seasons that everyone *should* have grown up and aged out of being teens. Only, they kind of didn't, not in any satisfying way. Maybe this was intentional, but I suspect it was simply that even Whedon didn't imagine the show would last that long, and so when he designed the characters and their arcs during s1, there wasn't any forethought about how to keep them compelling characters once they ceased to be able to run on teenage angst.

I think, fundamentally, the problem with Buffy was that it was envisioned as a teen drama. . . and then kept getting renewed for enough seasons that everyone *should* have grown up and aged out of being teens. Only, they kind of didn't, not in any satisfying way. Maybe this was intentional, but I suspect it was simply that even Whedon didn't imagine the show would last that long, and so when he designed the characters and their arcs during s1, there wasn't any forethought about how to keep them compelling characters once they ceased to be able to run on teenage angst.

I mean...they were what? 22-23 by the time the show ended in S7? Most don't see that drastic of a change in attitude by then. Especially when you stay in your hometown.

I mean...they were what? 22-23 by the time the show ended in S7? Most don't see that drastic of a change in attitude by then. Especially when you stay in your hometown.
Sunnydale happening to have a UC campus always made me laugh. Also what a way to enter your 20's with the destruction of a town and fighting ancient vampires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"